THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174283 times)

fallax

• Not quite a lurker
Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #1150 on: 17 May 2008, 17:00 »

Jeph, why do people ask you such retarded questions like the two above this one?

Phil73805

« Reply #1151 on: 17 May 2008, 19:15 »

Hi Jeph, have you ever considered publishing these strips in a series of softback books for your die hard fans? 'Order of the Stick' did this and I bought them all...great for when you're on the can  :-)

Phil

fallax

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1152 on: 17 May 2008, 20:46 »

Somewhere Jeph mentioned one of his goals for '08 is to publish QC in a few volumes. SOmewhere in the General Section, but I'm too lazy to go find the exact thread.

EDIT: Found.
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,18616.0.html
« Last Edit: 17 May 2008, 20:49 by fallax »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1153 on: 17 May 2008, 22:05 »

FAYE'S TITS ARE ADMIRABLE ALL RIGHT HUR HUR HUR

Jeph,

That is so not what I meant. Which character(s) do you see as worth looking up to despite their issues?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #1154 on: 21 May 2008, 11:48 »

I think I'd look up to Sven.

Of course, that's because he's probably taller than me.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1155 on: 22 May 2008, 07:47 »

Mister Swampson, here's a tip:

Read the previous page.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #1156 on: 22 May 2008, 21:34 »

Hey Jeph, are you familiar with the Saw Doctors? They are a folk-rock band from Tuam, In Ireland.

I though to ask because I saw they're playing in Northampton on 8 August, and I seem to remember you live near there. I don't know what kind of music you like or dislike, but they put on a good show. The crowd always has a ton of energy. If you haven't heard them before, I'd recommend checking them out.

Yes, I'm lame for plugging my favorite band.

Mars

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1157 on: 24 May 2008, 04:56 »

Another random reference question:

Sven's line in the first panel here ("oh, sure. I'll be totally discreet") always seemed familiar to me and I only yesterday figured out why. Is this a Ghostbusters reference or am I just a gigantic uber-nerd? Or is it both, maybe?

Also, Has Pintsize completely corrupted Winslow now?

Static

« Reply #1158 on: 25 May 2008, 22:29 »

1.  where is my hat? i know i put it somewhere.  do you have it?  are you some sort of mad carpetbagger riding down to the south to steal good, honest, hardworking peoples' hats?
2.  how is your relationship with the owner of your favorite record shop?
3.  That mustache isn't fooling anyone.
4.  Wait, that is my fucking hat!  RETURN IT AT ONCE!!

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1159 on: 26 May 2008, 16:38 »

How come you never update Jephdraw anymore? (Seriously the newest entry is from November 2006.)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1160 on: 27 May 2008, 13:28 »

Who would Dora's ideal man be?

Alive.

Any plans to do "Mr & Mrs" shirts? I'd definitely buy one.

Nope.

What's your favourite brand of guitar?

Gibson, Tom Anderson, PRS, ESP (not the cheapo LTD models).

Other denizens of the discussion group have suggested that I ask you this question.

Is Mr. Clean from Hanner's dream sequence in #1141 real in the QC-verse? As real as the characters Marten, Dora, etc are?

I am not at all expecting a straight answer, by the way.

As real as any other creation of advertising.

Does the last panel of the strip involve/Have you ever envisioned the final panel of the strip involving some sort of riots and or form of destruction that puts the characters in a very uncomfortable position and Faye just grabs Marten's face and kisses him, fed up with her bullshit problems? Because I rarely remember my dreams, but I remember dreaming about reading QC like, a year after it was over, and that was the last strip.

No.

Jeph, why do people ask you such retarded questions like the two above this one?

Or like this one, you mean?

Hi Jeph, have you ever considered publishing these strips in a series of softback books for your die hard fans? 'Order of the Stick' did this and I bought them all...great for when you're on the can  :-)

Phil

Yes.

FAYE'S TITS ARE ADMIRABLE ALL RIGHT HUR HUR HUR

Jeph,

That is so not what I meant. Which character(s) do you see as worth looking up to despite their issues?

*redacted*

Another random reference question:

Sven's line in the first panel here ("oh, sure. I'll be totally discreet") always seemed familiar to me and I only yesterday figured out why. Is this a Ghostbusters reference or am I just a gigantic uber-nerd? Or is it both, maybe?

Also, Has Pintsize completely corrupted Winslow now?

You know even as a kid I never really enjoyed the Ghostbusters movies so all the modern fondness for the franchise is utterly lost on me.

1.  where is my hat? i know i put it somewhere.  do you have it?  are you some sort of mad carpetbagger riding down to the south to steal good, honest, hardworking peoples' hats?
2.  how is your relationship with the owner of your favorite record shop?
3.  That mustache isn't fooling anyone.
4.  Wait, that is my fucking hat!  RETURN IT AT ONCE!!

1. I have...many hats.
2. Internet.
3. This is not a question.
4. ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

How come you never update Jephdraw anymore? (Seriously the newest entry is from November 2006.)

Too lazy/busy.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #1161 on: 27 May 2008, 21:08 »

OK, so I've read this thread through twice now, but ignore the question if it's already been answered...

I know you don't write/draw things that people suggest or ask for, but do people's reactions towards things you have already done influence the content at all? As an example, a lot of people have announced their love for Hanners, and she seems to be in the comic a bit more lately.
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #1162 on: 28 May 2008, 10:16 »

You have let me down Jeph, i was hoping to hear Fender. Thanks to you I'm in a fetal position sobbing uncontrolably.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1163 on: 29 May 2008, 16:46 »

Jeph,

Between the serious dramatic strips and the wacky lighthearted ones, which gives you more satisfaction to write and draw?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1164 on: 30 May 2008, 12:44 »

Is Dora still your favorite character? Who's in second place?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

kasuturo

« Reply #1165 on: 31 May 2008, 08:51 »

Have you ever thought of painting highresolution-stylish-ultracool illustrations of the main characters?

When will Jimbo return?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1166 on: 02 Jun 2008, 01:48 »

OK, so I've read this thread through twice now, but ignore the question if it's already been answered...

I know you don't write/draw things that people suggest or ask for, but do people's reactions towards things you have already done influence the content at all? As an example, a lot of people have announced their love for Hanners, and she seems to be in the comic a bit more lately.

It's hard to say, really- I was having a lot of fun writing Hannelore, and people really responded positively to her, so I suppose in that case it was one of those happy synergistic moments, like Opus from Bloom County. You toss in a random character and BAM everyone likes her and she's fun to write for.

You have let me down Jeph, i was hoping to hear Fender. Thanks to you I'm in a fetal position sobbing uncontrolably.

Give me a Fender guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups and then we'll talk.

Jeph,

Between the serious dramatic strips and the wacky lighthearted ones, which gives you more satisfaction to write and draw?

I hate the dramatic strips. Sometimes they're necessary to advance things but goddamn do I dislike them.

Is Dora still your favorite character? Who's in second place?

Dora has slipped to number three, behind Hanners (#1) and Penny and Faye (tied for #2).

Have you ever thought of painting highresolution-stylish-ultracool illustrations of the main characters?

When will Jimbo return?

If I ever learn how to paint, sure.

Eventually.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Debiru20x

« Reply #1167 on: 02 Jun 2008, 23:15 »

Based off your twitter entry...

How DID you live before the Daft Punk live album? I mean, hell, I was singing "One More Time" at work the other day at work.

adlingtont

« Reply #1168 on: 04 Jun 2008, 06:39 »

If you don't like serious comics then why the story line? Why didn't you just go for a random series of comics which were loosely tied together?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1169 on: 04 Jun 2008, 11:36 »

Jeph,

You've been pretty clear that for you reading the forums is frequently Not A Good Time.

What would make them more congenial? Or to put it another way, what advice would you have for forumgoers who enjoy hearing the author's perspective on things or who just politely want you to feel welcome on your own message board?

The forum rules don't seem to cover everything that is important in practice.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #1170 on: 04 Jun 2008, 11:51 »

Hey Jeph,

If you were ever to go back and re-draw any strips for, say, a collector's edition of the comic (I'm pulling the hypothetical reason for this situation occurring out of my ass), which strips would you go back and re-do (essentially)? Pick... Maybe 3 or 5.

Personally, I'd kinda like to see what the first 20 pages or so would look like had you drawn them today.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1171 on: 04 Jun 2008, 12:44 »

Based off your twitter entry...

How DID you live before the Daft Punk live album? I mean, hell, I was singing "One More Time" at work the other day at work.

Well, I had Discovery and Homework.

If you don't like serious comics then why the story line? Why didn't you just go for a random series of comics which were loosely tied together?

Because it's important to me to have a story that keeps things moving (albeit slowly) and characters developing. I just don't really like doing big dramatic "BOO HOO PATHOS" comics unless I absolutely have to. It is also my belief that you can tell a story without being serious. I mean, look a Douglas Adams.

Jeph,

You've been pretty clear that for you reading the forums is frequently Not A Good Time.

What would make them more congenial? Or to put it another way, what advice would you have for forumgoers who enjoy hearing the author's perspective on things or who just politely want you to feel welcome on your own message board?

The forum rules don't seem to cover everything that is important in practice.

Everything that bothers me about the forums is confined almost entirely to the weekly comic threads. And it's not everybody IN those threads either, just some folks. The incessant second guessing, the constant, flailing attempts to guess what I'll do next, the absurd obsession with getting various characters together, the going-over of every single word I write with a fine toothed comb, the petty bitching if I happen to do a comic that someone didn't like...thing is, these are all things that, by the very nature of QC being an extremely popular webcomic, are going to happen. It's not people's fault for doing them, and I've long since accepted the fact that it isn't going to change. And so most of the time I just DON'T READ THAT THREAD. But occasionally I will get curious or bored and go look and then AAARGH SO ANNOYED. So yeah. Solution = me not reading those threads.

I like the rest of the forums, Music Discussion in particular is a little community I'm actually quite proud to host. It's the one I recommned to people if they mention wanting to check out my forums (cue all the music boarders groaning as I introduce newbies).

Hey Jeph,

If you were ever to go back and re-draw any strips for, say, a collector's edition of the comic (I'm pulling the hypothetical reason for this situation occurring out of my ass), which strips would you go back and re-do (essentially)? Pick... Maybe 3 or 5.

Personally, I'd kinda like to see what the first 20 pages or so would look like had you drawn them today.

This is actually what I think I'm going to do for the first book, partly because I want the first couple pages to NOT look like ass and partly because I'm not sure I have hi-res originals of the very first strips anywhere.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1172 on: 04 Jun 2008, 12:50 »

What's up with the hair shading the last few days? The lightest shade usually creates the illusion of a part, but now it looks like one big piece of shiny material. :?

6/5 EDIT: Now that the light streak follows a path that makes sense, it's not bad. (Sorry but having a highlight go all the way into a shadow area unchanged didn't look quite right...)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2008, 20:19 by bicostp »

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #1173 on: 04 Jun 2008, 20:04 »

Let me just pull one out of my ass.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1174 on: 06 Jun 2008, 22:48 »

Dear Jeph,
You seem to have said on Twitter that drawing on the big Cintiq is so intuitive it's freaking you out. I therefore must recommend that you go back to something that does not freak you out, and send me your Cintiq instead.
Regards,
Alex.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #1175 on: 07 Jun 2008, 00:35 »

Man, fuck you guys. Am I really like the only person ever who enjoyed Human After All?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1176 on: 07 Jun 2008, 06:06 »

Yes.

Kanye West.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #1177 on: 09 Jun 2008, 12:47 »

Hi Jeph,

Will the filler comic girl from #1160 become a semi-regular character?

I'm guessing "no" myself.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1178 on: 09 Jun 2008, 19:00 »

Have you ever seen "Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet"? http://www.peterzale.com/helen/index.html

What's your opinion of it?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chASS

« Reply #1179 on: 09 Jun 2008, 20:45 »

Will you be my friend?

Have you ever met John Campbell?

Doubtful. I am shy.

Maybe? I know a lot of Johns.
yes, i realize it took me around four years to check back here...
but, i am talking about the www.picturesforsadchildren.com dude.
you two have my favorite webcomics.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1180 on: 11 Jun 2008, 17:59 »

Dear Jeph,
You seem to have said on Twitter that drawing on the big Cintiq is so intuitive it's freaking you out. I therefore must recommend that you go back to something that does not freak you out, and send me your Cintiq instead.
Regards,
Alex.

Hahaha no.

Hi Jeph,

Will the filler comic girl from #1160 become a semi-regular character?

I'm guessing "no" myself.

Unlikely, but impossible to rule out. I have ideas about Sweet Tits.

Have you ever seen "Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet"? http://www.peterzale.com/helen/index.html

What's your opinion of it?

Terrible website design, god-awful aliased-to-hell artwork (is it SUPPOSED to look that bad?). I can't get past those two, they're dealbreakers.

Will you be my friend?

Have you ever met John Campbell?

Doubtful. I am shy.

Maybe? I know a lot of Johns.
yes, i realize it took me around four years to check back here...
but, i am talking about the www.picturesforsadchildren.com dude.
you two have my favorite webcomics.

Oh THAT John Campbell! No I have not met him in person as far as I recall, but we have exchanged pleasantries via the Internet. His comics are really good.

chASS

« Reply #1181 on: 11 Jun 2008, 18:15 »

my theory is that if i met you two in person at the same time i would probably have a seizure.
(this is not a real question.. just thought you should know. if you enjoy giving people seizures... that's one way how to do it)

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1182 on: 11 Jun 2008, 23:13 »

jeph,

what do you think, if anything, would be different about your life if you didnt start this comic (besides hours of time you wouldnt spend on drawing)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1183 on: 11 Jun 2008, 23:50 »

I'd probably have killed myself by now.

Phil73805

« Reply #1184 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:31 »

I'd probably have killed myself by now.

Ah the joys of depression, been there done that, bought the shroud.

obskewer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1185 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:33 »

So. I've noticed a new-found desperation in your story-lines. Does this mean that the Flleet Foxes mixed with Botch have thoroughly melted all the cortexes that matter? (i.e. this Sven/Faye arch is killing the adults.)

Love ya!

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1186 on: 12 Jun 2008, 04:38 »

To what extent do you have the story line mapped out in advance, if at all?

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #1187 on: 12 Jun 2008, 05:47 »

So. I've noticed a new-found desperation in your story-lines. Does this mean that the Flleet Foxes mixed with Botch have thoroughly melted all the cortexes that matter? (i.e. this Sven/Faye arch is killing the adults.)

Love ya!

Dear Jeph,
As much as I'm usually for free exchange of opinion over the internet, why did this person basically say, "YOUR COMIC SUCKS. Huggles!"?
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

obskewer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1188 on: 12 Jun 2008, 12:07 »

Love ya!

Dear Jeph,
As much as I'm usually for free exchange of opinion over the internet, why did this person basically say, "YOUR COMIC SUCKS. Huggles!"?

I most definatley do not think QC sucks. It's my favorite web-comic, I have read it every day for years. Am a some kind of sloe-eyed dogmatic adherent? No. If I notice something off in the writing (i.e. the predictable straining of the relationship b/t Sven and Faye) I don't think it's offensive to say something. I'm sure Jeph enjoys the paychecks that come along with readers who hit the site more than once a day; with a large cricle of readers comes criticism--most writers appreciate constructive, pointed criticism. Albeit the Fleet Foxes/Botch comment was a bit low-brow--I was drunk at the time, what do you expect?

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #1189 on: 12 Jun 2008, 15:19 »

Well, I'll admit my comment was probably worded a bit too strongly. Sorry about that.

Welp, now I've got to think of a question so this post isn't completely off-topic.

Jeph, what should I ask you?

Thought of something. Have you ever felt the urge to dabble in any other sort of genre? DO YOU HAVE A SECRET SKETCHBOOK OF GOBLINS FIGHTING CYBORG BIKINI BIKERS FROM THE FUTURE?!?!?!?!!111?

Seriously though, have you?
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 01:25 by Norton Quintessential »
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

sk8m8trix

« Reply #1190 on: 13 Jun 2008, 00:35 »

What are your plans to bring the drunk erotic novelist Jimbo back?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #1191 on: 14 Jun 2008, 20:55 »

Have you titled the forum Boner Wars just so it looks like porn if we get a personal reply? I mean, seriously, I thought I had purged all the damned porn and viagra pluggers from that mail account, and then here's some ass promoting Boner Wars.

Yes. I really should change that last participle phrase, but…I just can't make myself. The whole clause is a perverted thing of beauty.

I have ideas about Sweet Tits.

I love that clause, too. Actually, though, I think it's the jean-shorts that caused the feeding frenzy. Any plans to put Hanners in jean-shorts and have a select few posters explode at their monitors from Cutoacidosis (dangerously high levels of cuteness in the blood)?

Finally, is Faye really supposed to have gained weight? I was checking out some of your 'old' stuff the other day and I noticed (again, actually) how much less round her face used to be around comic 800 and before. I wondered: is that a conscious (or unconscious—duh duh daaa!) decision, or just a change in style?
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2008, 20:57 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #1192 on: 14 Jun 2008, 21:45 »

Regarding this thread:  Good.  Lord.

Regarding updating the art from the original comics:  It would be interesting to see, but I implore you NOT to replace the originals.  There are times I go back and feel I really missed the old days, with it's original style.

GHIGHATRON

« Reply #1193 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:59 »

DEAR ORGANO-JEPH,

PINTSIZE MAKE JOKE AT GHIGHATRON MOTHER.  GHIGHATRON VERY OFFENDED.  WHAT WILL BE DONE ABOUT THIS?

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1194 on: 15 Jun 2008, 08:18 »

What would you choose as the theme song if you were to make a QC TV series?

Jepser

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1195 on: 15 Jun 2008, 12:07 »

Man, fuck you guys. Am I really like the only person ever who enjoyed Human After All?

You are not alone.
I wasn't going to d/l any of that, but once I read "oldest lesbian", I kind of had to.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1196 on: 15 Jun 2008, 21:50 »

Jeph,

What happens first when you create a new character?

Do you start with one of the experiments from your sketchbook and figure out what personality goes with it, or do you start by creating the characterization and then figure out how that person needs to be drawn?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1197 on: 16 Jun 2008, 00:40 »

Jeph,

If you suddenly found yourself teleported to the QC universe where you became a new character, what would you do?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Chymes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1198 on: 18 Jun 2008, 00:59 »

Couldn't you just have a creative binge one day and write a few comics in a session, y'know - create a bit of a butter for the days you know you wont want to be doing the comic?

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #1199 on: 19 Jun 2008, 16:26 »

Jeph, here's a storyline: Hanners meets Marten's mom
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49   Go Up