THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174266 times)

TheSilentWolf

Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #1300 on: 05 Aug 2008, 05:08 »

A simple music question, sir: If you had to chose one Indie band, the one that best represents the essance of the genre, who would it be?

Also, do you ever just look over the questions and say "Fuck it, I'll answer later."?

nopk

« Reply #1301 on: 05 Aug 2008, 08:53 »

Jeph,

I saw that you liked Ellen Allien's work with that other dude, as well as the latest Mouse on Mars offering. The Bpitch shirt lead me to believe you were into some IDM too.

Why don't you listen to more IDM? I was surprised to not see any Autechre or uziq on your RL page. If you'd like some suggestions, I'd be more than happy to throw some out. It's the least I can do for your thankless work for making me look forward to every mon/wen/fri night!

Oy

« Reply #1302 on: 06 Aug 2008, 15:25 »

First of all thanks for an amazing comic! Second, the look of your characters has changed a bit since you made the cast page. Was wondering if you had any thoughts about updating.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #1303 on: 06 Aug 2008, 16:25 »

This has probably asked before, but perhaps not in this way. Do you ever feel that your characters are talking to you? And, if so, do they ever object to how you're handling them? For example, did Dora recently say, "For Chrissake, enough with the helmet-hair already. And give me a little credit about Faye and my smarmy brother."
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

airheadjames

« Reply #1304 on: 07 Aug 2008, 22:50 »

i have a question about your music, you seem to have a really good range of tastes in music, but all the music i can find you have done are all sorta heavy or something in that range, do you play other types of music?

Starblue324

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1305 on: 10 Aug 2008, 21:12 »

In past strips, the world of QC had some pretty odd  people/happenings (Pizza Girl and the Vespa Avenger, for example). Lately, the only weirdness in the world seems to be the continued appearance of the anthro PCs. Do you plan on writing in any more storylines that show the strangeness of the QC world?

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1306 on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:43 »

Hannelore has said she only listens to Bach but you had her singing Battles! Are you not ineffable? :cry:
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

FdL

« Reply #1307 on: 12 Aug 2008, 18:24 »

Ok, as the good newbie I am I read the whole of Jeph's answers here. And I'll ask now that I'm sure no one's asked about it :D

I was going to ask about technical aspects of the art, but the FAQ and that wonderful tutorial thingy solve it. I'm thinking of getting a semi-cheap tablet to do my stuff. I know drawing in PS is probably more immediate, but I think now I prefer vector based stuff. Well, probably because I use a mouse, then obviously I can't draw crap and I'd rather retouch stuff. I'll see what I use once I get the tablet (I'm thinking of a 10x6 Genius one which I know might sound like shite to a pro but it's cheap and I guess useable).

Anyhoo, question:

I've noticed the backgrounds for buildings and rooms do get more complex and better resolved in the later strips. Especially in outdoors architecture and attempts at perspective stuff indoors. So, Jeph, do you use some kind of software to render those or it's just that you're good at perspective?

XFDDave

« Reply #1308 on: 14 Aug 2008, 00:13 »

Hey Jeph,

My friends and I enjoyed your panel & booth back at Sakura Con in 2007. It was so much fun that I would like to know what it would take to convince you to come again sometime, I'll even volunteer to be a subject of continuous non-relenting verbal assault if it means you came. That, or I'll just buy you some micro-brews we have in the Pacific Northwest. Even Christi was a lot of fun to BS with while you were off doing important things. Either way thanks for coming when you did, it really made the con worth it.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2008, 00:35 by XFDDave »

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1309 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:31 »

Did you borrow Penelope's surname from two of the Lynyrd Skynyrd members who died in the plane crash in '77?

Are you ever going to answer questions in this thread again?

Farmall

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1310 on: 20 Aug 2008, 21:32 »

Are you ever going to answer questions in this thread again?

I was also wondering this.  And was also wondering if it would be considered strange to be so curious of a complete stranger's response to ultimately unimportant questions.  I don't know if that's worded well, but I think that I got my intended question in there, even though it wasn't in the form of a question, per se.

Sean Fury

« Reply #1311 on: 22 Aug 2008, 22:06 »

Sup Jeph, I have some simple questions.

What would you suggest someone, who can barely draw shitty stick figures, does to improve their artistic ability?

What is your favorite alcoholic beverage?

And lastly, what is your favorite riff to play on your guitar?

mollinity

« Reply #1312 on: 23 Aug 2008, 15:15 »

I would like to see an updated 'cast' page.
I was trying to explain to a friend what the plot of this is, and the cast page is woefully inept.

:-D
Molly

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1313 on: 23 Aug 2008, 16:16 »

Kindly read through the previous questions and FAQ, Mollinity and Sean Furry.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Ilikeagirlwithfigure

« Reply #1314 on: 24 Aug 2008, 06:47 »

Dear Jeph

I discovered QC three days ago, and spent every moment between work, the pub, eating, sleeping and doing other stuff reading it. I am now at the current episode. This is unacceptable, and you should have started doing this many more years before you did so there'd be more to read. I'm an avid fan, but in that you have failed.

Also, I now like Russian Circles. This redeems you slightly.

Yours sincerely,

Me.

Rawr42

« Reply #1315 on: 30 Aug 2008, 16:51 »

Don't know if this has been posted before, but Jeph: I heard you went to Hampshire College. What made you want to go there? (I'm thinking about going there for college next year, so any advice would be lovely!)

indie sux

« Reply #1316 on: 31 Aug 2008, 13:29 »

JEFF. HAVE YOU HEARD OF XKCD. IT IS A WEBCOMIC. IT IS AWESOME. IT MENTIONS YOUR COMIC. THATS WHERE I HEARD OF QC.     XKCD.COM

lexi_rice05

« Reply #1317 on: 31 Aug 2008, 13:55 »

hm, i don't know if anyone has asked this before, but im a new qc fan i guess, and i just realized how often steve says hella.
is he from norcal or something?
cuz as a san francisco native whos been given a lot of crap from her socal friends for "hella", it's awesome to see that in such an awesome comic.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1318 on: 31 Aug 2008, 20:41 »

How'd a 26-year-old (Dora) end up owning her own business?

Boll Weevil

« Reply #1319 on: 01 Sep 2008, 17:04 »

I just noticed in strip 655, the fratty looking dude has a hat with "State College" written on it, which is the town in which the main Penn State campus resides. Thing is, your average douchebags look and act exactly those two at the coffee shops, so I was wondering if it was your intent to rip on that college in particular. If so, then awesome.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1320 on: 01 Sep 2008, 17:16 »

How'd a 26-year-old (Dora) end up owning her own business?

Not hard to do, all you need to do is file for a tax number and whatever incorporation papers you might need if you go that route rather than a private ownership.   

*shrug*  I owned a recycling venture at the age of 24 with two other folks ages 22 and 25 so it's not that much of a stretch.   In our case we each put $10,000 into buying a recycling machine.   Venture didn't last due to poor marketing but hey at least we tried.

In Dora's case you could buy a couple of big coffee urns and a decent espresso machine for $10,000 and rent a space for $800 a month and there you are.

LeCorndog

« Reply #1321 on: 02 Sep 2008, 23:11 »

JEFF. HAVE YOU HEARD OF XKCD. IT IS A WEBCOMIC. IT IS AWESOME. IT MENTIONS YOUR COMIC. THATS WHERE I HEARD OF QC.     XKCD.COM

I is ded.

Dante8

« Reply #1322 on: 05 Sep 2008, 22:40 »

Jeph,
Thanks for the comic, I'm a really big fan and I have spread it around my office.

Questions:

1.) Have you ever heard of an Irish band named Bell X1?  I would be curious to hear what you think of them.

2.) A coworker and I were wondering how much it would take for you to do a "Girls of QC" calendar where the ladies would be... less dressed than they are in most of the strips (1198 is a good start!)  We could have a bake sale or wash cars or something to raise the cash, or we could just PAY YOU.

Thanks!

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1323 on: 05 Sep 2008, 22:56 »

I'd reply to this but my keyboard is broken. :(

Mystik738

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1324 on: 07 Sep 2008, 14:35 »

Jeph,
  In regards to Hannelore's recent obsession with firemen, don't you think its a little out of character? I mean, unless I have her wrong, Hannelore is a bit of a clean freak, and a fireman's job isn't exactly known for being clean. In one comic you have her jumping into a fireman's arms - a fireman who's wearing a uniform that he'd commonly bring into a fire; a uniform that even if vigorously cleaned would still most likely have large traces of soot and ash. The fireman isn't even clean shaven - another indicator that he is dirty. Even though Hannelore does obsess over things, I think this obsession is out of character.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1325 on: 07 Sep 2008, 19:27 »

FIRE IS CLEANSING. BURN THE HERETICS.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1326 on: 07 Sep 2008, 22:09 »

HEY!  How'd the Spanish Inquisition get in here?!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1327 on: 07 Sep 2008, 22:18 »

They're everywhere!  They're everywhere! 

a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

skylinetrain

« Reply #1328 on: 08 Sep 2008, 06:23 »

Whoa  :-o , I didn't expect that.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1329 on: 08 Sep 2008, 17:07 »

Nobody expects Monty Python!

Mystik738

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1330 on: 08 Sep 2008, 22:17 »

So, I guess never mind on my aforementioned question. It was just answered by tonight's comic.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1331 on: 09 Sep 2008, 00:31 »

Just be sure they don't bring out

THE COMFEY CHAIR!!
James The Kugai 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1332 on: 09 Sep 2008, 04:40 »

Oh please. Everybody on the Internet expects Monty Python. They, it goes with the web like a dog and fleas. Really ubiquitous fleas, so much so that parts of the dog get named after them.

Four hundred years from now, when almost everything we do today has been forgotten, people will still message each other versions of  "I got better," "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition," and so on. Various uses for the Holy Hand Grenade and Shrubberies, and, of course, "Spam spam spam spam, spamity spam, wonderful spam" will clutter the Galictinet. (Unless, of course, we've aced ourselves by then.)

I sometimes wonder if there aren't people on earth today who would be surprised to learn that Spam is actually a strangely delicious canned pork product (when cooked as bacon in the microwave, anyway)?
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2008, 04:42 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1333 on: 10 Sep 2008, 00:31 »

NI!
[/b]
James The Kugai 

A. Smith

• Emoticontraindication
  • Amateur Cartographer
« Reply #1334 on: 11 Sep 2008, 21:07 »

Two questions:

1) Looking back on the early days of the comic (or, heck, even "only" 300 strips ago), what art change do you like the most? The least?

2) How do you make money off of QC? Advertisement and merchandising, of course, but... Surely it can't bring that much money in...

Samsara

« Reply #1335 on: 13 Sep 2008, 01:52 »

Oh please. Everybody on the Internet expects Monty Python.

And yet it never gets old :P

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1336 on: 13 Sep 2008, 17:40 »

Wrong.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1337 on: 15 Sep 2008, 06:43 »

Two questions:

1) Looking back on the early days of the comic (or, heck, even "only" 300 strips ago), what art change do you like the most? The least?

2) How do you make money off of QC? Advertisement and merchandising, of course, but... Surely it can't bring that much money in...

Product placement.
boldly going nowhere

Leviant

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1338 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:08 »

This my official first post and i broke the rule  of 'please lurk first' , i dont want to sound like a jerk or smartass or anything but i really need to take this off my chest, sorta.

i just finished reading up to the current strip from strip 1 of 2003, in about... 3~4 days?, 1.5 if sleeping was taken out of the time frame, its just WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SARA AND NEVER RETURNED bugs me. (yeah i've seen a thread about it)

and its like a chemical reaction when it hit me, all those... all those strips gave me an IDEA FOR A MINI ARC (which somebody might already have thought of, really mini). and i *really* want to share it with Jeph *slash* let him know *slash* it doesnt really matter if wont get to be a part in the story(mini arc), i just want his opinion about it.

may i know his email for this? or any other ways other than Forum PM? since its like... my first day here after reading all that, and i have no clue as how traffic work in this place. or if he can still check his inbox here, cause i can understand the whole "No time, No Sleep, RAAAAAAAAAAAA" moments

:-D

oh, and sorry for the BIG, "HEY i'm new here, HEAR ME!!!!" kind of tone this post is kinda sounding... needs more than 4 hours of sleep...
I wonder what else do they keep under the counter... nurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Smerf

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1339 on: 15 Sep 2008, 23:24 »

Honestly, now...  What's wrong with 3 Stooges-style slapstick?

bodhi

« Reply #1340 on: 16 Sep 2008, 15:54 »

Jeph,

Does it bother you when Hipinion is always making fun of the comic or when you read negative reactions anywhere online?   

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?t=230965

Debiru20x

« Reply #1341 on: 18 Sep 2008, 23:09 »

Ok....about "Honky-tonk Badonkadonk" I did not know that was a real song....I...I'm quite appalled by that in fact. Now, not to seem stereotypical, but really who that uses "badonkadonk" actually knows the phrase "honky-tonk?" That's not the question, though feel free to put in a witty answer. They're usually funny. My real question is who wrote that song, and how did you actually come across that song to throw it in as a reference to the comic?

jaz

« Reply #1342 on: 19 Sep 2008, 17:35 »

it was a popular country song (#1?#2?) by Trace Adkins.
and it is now stuck in my head. ahhhh.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1343 on: 19 Sep 2008, 20:09 »

It ain't right to hate her
for what her momma gave her.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #1344 on: 19 Sep 2008, 22:30 »

it was a popular country song (#1?#2?) by Trace Adkins.
and it is now stuck in my head. ahhhh.

Holy shit, that was Trace Adkins?

Fuck me, there was a time when I liked Trace Adkins.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1345 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:18 »

Would you give me a writing credit for the lyrics to "Redneck ain’t my middle name (But it ought to be)?

I've got the chorus and a bit of the first stanza worked out.

(Oh god, what's happening to me?)

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1346 on: 22 Sep 2008, 00:43 »

Quick, get some Led Zeppelin to raoullefere STAT!

:D
James The Kugai 

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1347 on: 22 Sep 2008, 14:04 »

Jeph,

How and why is everyone changing their names?

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1348 on: 24 Sep 2008, 16:32 »

Will you tell us the story of the proposal?
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

Lhiannon

« Reply #1349 on: 25 Sep 2008, 21:58 »

Yes, please do! Even if it's really prosaic.

Also, will you please please please bring in some alcohol-induced-creature hilarity? Like Vodka Rats or something? There have been no Tequila Monsters or anything since 719 or so.

Please? I would love you forever... in the platonic way, of course. I don't want your wife to kill me. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49   Go Up