THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 16:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribean 2  (Read 15251 times)

Legato

Pirates of the Carribean 2
« on: 10 Jul 2006, 04:02 »

I've seen it twice now since I work at a theater, and I loved it.  Has anybody else seen it?  I don't know when the international release dates are, but it's out in the United States already.  Please, don't spoil then ending without a **SPOILER** warning posted above.  Highlight my spoilers to read them.

**ENDING SPOILER**

Wasn't Barbossa supposed to be dead?  I suppose if those two pirates (the one with the shifty eye is the coolest) are alive, he can be too, but I swear he was killed in POTC1.

**END OF SPOILER**

I thought it was an excellent movie, and I can't wait for the third one.  Yes, there will be a third, and it is already halfway finished.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2006, 04:42 »

Dude the background colour for the forum is grey.  You can still read the black text.

As a response to the question, though: in the first film we saw Barbarossa being shot, and a lot of blood coming out of him, but did we actually ever see him definitely without a doubt dead?  I don't believe so.  Plus, it's a Hollywood franchise with horrible sea-creatures and undead sailors and Orlando Bloom being a romantic lead.  Realism is not a high priority here.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2006, 06:11 »

It was a romp. Plot made little sense, but I'd have been kind of offended if it did. Any movie that has Jack Davenport, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom (two of my favourite actors and a random pretty-boy) engaged in an insane slapstick swordfight in a waterwheel rolling through the middle of the jungle gets my vote.

Actually, speaking of Bloom, I think his acting's getting a little better. I still keep wanting him to jump on a horse and whip out pointy ears and a longbow though.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2006, 06:25 »

Actually, I haven't seen the new film yet.  But as for the original (and, by most accounts, the sequel), it's Hollywood doing what Hollywood was always meant to be about: making high-quality mass-entertainment that will allow people to have a good time for a couple of hours.

They should do it more often.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2006, 06:41 »

Damn straight.

I can understand why people were disappointed. It was long. And the plot didn't really need to be that long. But each scene was so fun to sit back, stuff gummi worms in your mouth and just WATCH, it doesn't matter. It was brilliant fun.

I'm more than willing to pay to see it again, let alone see the third one.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2006, 06:58 »

*********SPOILER**********

Did anyone else find it very annoying during the waterwheel fight when Jack gets hit in the face with a big bar.  Yet afterwards when he catches his balance, the bar is somehow gone?  That really ruined the whole scene for me.

********/SPOILER***********

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2006, 07:08 »

I noticed it too. I like to assume that the force of his face broke off the bar, because it was extremely rusted and pitted at both ends.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2006, 09:58 »

i loved it. it was a bit long, but it was really funny, so that made it bearable. and it leads into the third part nicely.

"These clothes don't suit you at all.  It should be a dress or nothing.  I just happen to have no dress in my cabin."

*spolier

that kiss was silly. knightly actually asked the writers to put an opportunity in there for her to kiss depp.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

StupidityKills

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2006, 10:35 »

I noticed the bar thing and thought it was a stupid mistake.
It was great fun though, especially since we all dressed up and took over the cinema :) Everyone cheered when Depp came on and we booed when Elizabeth kissed him! haha

DavidGrohl

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:17 »

I was really waiting for him to do something about it in the end.  I think the kiss is an important part of the story.  There were a few scenes where they both teased eachother with their lips.

I want to see Orlando Bloom kill them both for their indecency.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:22 »

Depps entrance in this one was half-expected, but brilliant.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:38 »

I liked it. Wasn't expecting it to leave you hanging like that though. Should have been called 'Pirates of the Carribean: The East India Trading Co. Strikes Back'.
Oh I'm so funny.

(click to show/hide)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

MyBDLrules

Arr
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2006, 14:21 »

That movie was jampacked of awesome from the minute it started and its just the perfect being to the sequel trilogy combi they are doin

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2006, 14:35 »

I liked it, up until the ending. Fuck cliffhangers man, there needs to be at least some conclusion of the story before you move on. Not just a resolve to start another chapter, but a little bit extra to make it feel complete, and not like a part of something bigger. That's what TV shows do.

***HELLA SPOILERS***

I am so happy that Jack died, you have no goddamned idea. I am surrounded by women who were constantly swooning over the guy, despite the fact that he is fictional, ever since the first movie. Watching him get eaten, and then laughing at the girls was a bit of fun. Though we know he wont stay dead. Also, it takes balls to kill off your character with the largest fangirl base. Kudos to Disney.

Also, i want a hi-res screencap of that shot where Sparrow is just charging into the Kraken, Sword drawn, with all those teeth about a second from ripping him to shreds. That is a man with intestinal fortitude.

***NO MORE SPOILERS***

I'm really hoping that they can get pirates 3 out fairly soon. The shootings overlapped and didnt stop, so it shouldn't take too long, but if I get sick of this movie before the third comes out, I doubt i will see it.

Am I the only one who was given a case of the shivers by Davy Jones? He was pretty awesome in a chilling way.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2006, 14:58 »

i thought davy jones' voice was absolutely perfect although i thought he looked way too much like Cthulhu for my liking.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2006, 19:03 »

The third movie comes out Memorial Day 2007.

Too long for me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2006, 19:18 »

~*~*~*~SPOILER WITH A FANCY BORDER THINGY~*~*~*~

I'm pretty sure Jack was swallowed whole, and will probably cut his way out.

Also, the Voodoo Lady had a silver heat shaped thingy kinda like the one Davey Jones had. I believe you see it when Jack is stealing rings. Anyone think this is significant?

~*~*~*~END OF SPOILER WITH A FANCY BORDER THINGY~*~*~*~

eyepatch

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2006, 21:07 »

Jack can't die, if any POTC film went for more than a few scenes without him it'd fail.

Atrocity Exhibition

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2006, 22:38 »

I've seen the movie twice, and love it (despite being long winded and nonsensical), but the ending was a bit disappointing.

It would appear that theyre out to do the same thing as with Superman; they kill off the best character, and then turn around and say "well, lets get him back somehow!"

also, there is no way in hell that Jack was swallowed alive by the Kraken. Did you see those rows of teeth?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2006, 23:42 »

To answer a few questsions *BAMF*
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2006, 06:22 »

spoiler? i don't know.

Quote from: StarMinion1
~*~*~*~SPOILER WITH A FANCY BORDER THINGY~*~*~*~

I'm pretty sure Jack was swallowed whole, and will probably cut his way out.

Also, the Voodoo Lady had a silver heat shaped thingy kinda like the one Davey Jones had. I believe you see it when Jack is stealing rings. Anyone think this is significant?

~*~*~*~END OF SPOILER WITH A FANCY BORDER THINGY~*~*~*~

i wonder if she's the lady he loved. OOOO. how awesome would that be. she seems to like pirates and vice versa.

and as for barbossa, when they visit the first time with the monkey, she lets the monkey out of the cage and he runs into a room and sits on some boots. i thought that was weird when i first saw it, but it made sense when barbossa popped out.

Quote from: Scandinavian War Machine"
i thought davy jones' voice was absolutely perfect although i thought he looked way too much like Cthulhu for my liking.

yes. bill nighy is awesome and i thought it was funny how you could still see the funny expresions he makes through the squid head thingy. some people i know were creeped out by his slimyness, but i thought he was the best looking one on that ship.

if they are sailing to the "end of the world" to get sparrow back, then he hasn't died died. or he'll just stay there or something. but personally, i think he should just stab elizabeth for being an idiot and getting him killed and then stab will for being a ninny. and then it can end happily ever after with everyone dead. because i do believe there will be no more movies after the third.

/spoiler possibility.

did anyone else think the east india trading company ass was really mich to short to be in such power? the rest of the people seemed to tower over him.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2006, 07:10 »

Depp has said that he'd make another three movies, if they had the plots to fill them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Houdinimachine

• http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2006, 09:49 »

As much as I hate cliffhangers, I absolutely loved the ending to this movie.

Spoilers!

I am Geoffrey Rush's biggest fan and I am dying to see a full Pirates movie with Barbossa as lead. I loved the character back in the first movie, and the thought of him being a good guy of sorts absolutely thrills me to the bone.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2006, 10:14 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
I am Geoffrey Rush's biggest fan

geoffrey rush is freaking awesome. i loved it in the first one when they were fighting at the end of the first movie. that is my favorite scene ever.

hypochrismutreefuzz

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
SPOILER TEXT suggestion
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2006, 12:19 »

Here is some spoiler text hiding code. It uses inline CSS stylesheets to make the post unreadable (black on black) untill you highlight it. It might work here. Lets try it out?

Here is the code: just copy and replace teh string 'Super Hidden Text' with the text to be coded:

<table><tr><td bgcolor="black"><font color="black" style="color: black; background-color: black;">Super Hidden Text</td></tr></table>
This is not a sigfile

Legato

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2006, 03:59 »

SPOILER!!!!

I just saw it again, and I also noticed

END SPOILER

Also,

<table><tr><td bgcolor="black"><font color="black" style="color: black; background-color: black;">Super Hidden Text</td></tr></table>

Does NOT work.

bujiatang

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2006, 09:47 »

awash with spoilers, like a silly looking streetracer.

Wasn't part of Barbosa's legend that he had been spat out of hell?  Its not like coming again later would allow admittance.  and voodoo lady did seem to be rather venomous....

the spoilers broke off. CRASH!

Maui

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:09 »

I saw this with three of my guy friends, who all to my surprise hated the ending with a passion. I thought it was fitting, everyone knows that they're going to make a third movie, why not leave the ending wide open for the third to begin eh? Overall i thought it was great, just as funny as the first, but the whole Elizabeth/Jack thing kinda grossed me out.

zutonna

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2006, 13:52 »

**Spoiler?**

Did no-one else notice near the end of the first film that the monkey took one of the coins out of the chest again? Hence 1) Barbossa is still 'alive' and 2) the monkey doesn't die when Sparrow shoots it. Or maybe I have completely misunderstood the curse.

mookers

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2006, 17:12 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
To answer a few questsions *BAMF*

whoa! chow yun-fat! i'm excited for that.

and a guy named aesop aquarian who won't do anything important but what a cool name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2006, 14:04 »

don't read if you don't want to know.

Quote from: zutonna
**Spoiler?**

Did no-one else notice near the end of the first film that the monkey took one of the coins out of the chest again? Hence 1) Barbossa is still 'alive' and 2) the monkey doesn't die when Sparrow shoots it. Or maybe I have completely misunderstood the curse.

only those who steal from the cest at one time become cursed. since they had all put everything back, they are all uncursed. then the monkey takes it, so he's the only one that is now cursed. barbossa is a different story. he had to come from the end of the world (or whatever), because he's taking them back.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2006, 21:16 »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I am thinking that the ring Jack stole from the voodoo lady has something to do with him being able to survive the Kraken, or whatever. I mean, they made a point of showing him stealing it and, periodically throughout the movie, made a point of showing it on his hand - including a scene only a few minutes before he gets swallowed/eated/digested by the Sarlaac, I mean Kraken.

Anybody else have opinions on this?

~~~~~~~~~~DONE WITH SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2006, 00:25 »

Man do I ever just want my ten dollars back and just have read this thread instead.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2006, 15:08 »

Quote from: I Am Not Amused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I am thinking that the ring Jack stole from the voodoo lady has something to do with him being able to survive the Kraken, or whatever. I mean, they made a point of showing him stealing it and, periodically throughout the movie, made a point of showing it on his hand - including a scene only a few minutes before he gets swallowed/eated/digested by the Sarlaac, I mean Kraken.

Anybody else have opinions on this?

~~~~~~~~~~DONE WITH SPOILERS~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man, Jack is totally gonna re-emerge from the Kraken like Boba Fett does from the Sarlacc in the Star Wars books.

Oh, and I liked the movie.

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul 2006, 16:24 »

Exactly. Guys, this is fucking Captain Jack Sparrow we're talking about here. You really think that Kraken stands a chance?
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jul 2006, 17:21 »

I'm thinking in the third movie they'll either bring him back as if he'd never died (the black spot being removed and him no longer being hunted maybe) or they'll get to the ends of the earth and get him back REALLY QUICKLY because a POTC movie without cap'n jack is not really gonna work.

Also the best bit in the film was:

"It's a mythical beast and I'll call it what I like"

Kid Modernist

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jul 2006, 17:36 »

Dudes, I must be insane because I thought this movie sucked. It was almost 3 hours of random fights. The millwheel bit was retarded. Just get off the fucking thing and fight. Oh wait, then it wouldn't look cool, blah blah. Poor story, a bunch of loopholes. A whole 30 minutes could have been cut out with those island people.

SHIT.

Ghostwriter

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2006, 17:44 »

I liked the movie, but it was too long.  It seemed like it was trying to be more epic/"grown up" than the first movie, and was maybe a bit clunky in doing so.  Some parts seemed a little cheesy.  It was a good time in general, though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 16 Jul 2006, 19:43 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Dudes, I must be insane because I thought this movie sucked. It was almost 3 hours of random fights. The millwheel bit was retarded. Just get off the fucking thing and fight. Oh wait, then it wouldn't look cool, blah blah. Poor story, a bunch of loopholes. A whole 30 minutes could have been cut out with those island people.

SHIT.

I'm with you.

Alchemist

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jul 2006, 20:16 »

Okay, look.  No one went to see this movie expecting The Shawshank Redemption.  It's cotton candy for the brain, a summer blockbuster hit that looks and sounds purty, and damn if you people aren't over-analyzing it to death for no real reason.  Yes, the waterwheel scene was fucktarded.  Yes, the plot had more holes than Courtney Love's pantyhose.  Yes, the whole thing with the island natives was fluff, yes, the characters that were brought back were done so for the gratuitous "gee whiz cool" factor.  

You know what?  It was still fun to watch.  Come on, people.  When seeing summer action flicks, brains are checked at the door.  You want to know how many plot holes, editing screw-ups, and moments of generally bad acting plague ANY summer action release? Remember The Matrix?

I didn't go to this movie to have my brain fed.  I went to see Keira Knightley strutting around and looking sexy.  I went to see Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp sling a couple of swords around and swash a few buckles.  I went to see cool-looking CGI effects like Davy Jones' ... well, everything about Davy Jones.  I went for fun, and I had it.  If I want a brainy movie I'll go watch Pi or Waking Life again.

Jeesh, people.  Unclench.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jul 2006, 01:13 »

Man just because I don't have to use higher brain functions for a movie doesn't give it a right to suck.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 17 Jul 2006, 06:56 »

I am totally with Alchemist. If you didn't have fun just watching the movie, then you, sir, are dead inside.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jul 2006, 08:37 »

One can apply that logic to Gili, Jersy Girl, or Glitter.

Does that make everyone dead inside?

sjbrot

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jul 2006, 12:31 »

Just because I thought this was a bloated, overacted and uninteresting affair doesn't mean I'm dead inside. If I were to laugh out loud and perhaps point at the television screen with mock sympathy when those World Vision commercials with the starving babies from third world countries came on, that would mean I was dead inside.

There are many valid reasons to dislike this movie. Some have commented that it seems like a nearly three hour preview for the next movie, some have said that there's no point to much of it, some have said that the the acting and general plot development in the movie fall flat. I pretty much stand with those folks on this one.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jul 2006, 13:46 »

no, because those just kill people as soon as the movie starts. they don't have a chance for fun. they are killed by the massive amounts of suck.

i also agree with alchemist. yes, i can understand why people don't like it, but it's meant for fun and i really liked it for that.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jul 2006, 14:07 »

Well, I was just trying to make the point that it is unfair to call someone dead inside for having an opposing viewpoint.

I also don't think of it as a summer "fluff" film. If it was, it would have been short and able to stand on it's own (not building up another movie) and provide closure. It should be seen as part of an epic, in my opinion. Depending on how the third movie goes, some people may change there minds concerning Dead Man's Chest.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 17 Jul 2006, 14:40 »

No. Because those clearly weren't meant to be fun. They were meant to slowly melt the brain of anyone who dared watch them.

Though I do take offense to Jersey Girl being in the same calibre as Gigli or Glitter. Yes, it has Benifer and no, it's not good. But it's not that bad either. It's just...blah...
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #47 on: 17 Jul 2006, 16:37 »

Quote from: Alchemist
Yes, the waterwheel scene was fucktarded.  Yes, the plot had more holes that Courtney Love's pantyhose.  Yes, the whole thing with the island natives was fluff, yes, the characters that were brought back were done so for the gratuitous "gee whiz cool" factor.  

I'm reading, "Yes, it is a crap movie but because I payed 10 dollars for it I don't want to admit it." :)

But seriously, like Johnny C said, can't we have GOOD summer action movies? Just once?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jul 2006, 17:45 »

Well, I was just trying to make the point that it is unfair to call someone dead inside for having an opposing viewpoint.

i was being silly. i never saw any of them. they looked scary.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #49 on: 17 Jul 2006, 17:49 »

Well,I was not ralking about the movies I mentioned, they all must have been terrible...

I was referring to  what Ozymandias said. But whatever, i take the internet too seriously....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up