THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: National Lampoons Radio Hour  (Read 2244 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
National Lampoons Radio Hour
« on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:55 »

so it's not quite a movie, tv show, or a book, but has anyone ever heard recordings of the original national lampoon, long before chevy chase hit the scene, and their bizzarely awesome radio show? imagine an extremely wierd sketch comedy show, sorta like SNL, but...well on the radio obviously. commence odd songs about little miss muffett, wierd scenes about sheer randomness, mock ads for, and marlon brando impersonations which make brando out to be a cannibal who eats "squaws." i found a boxset of these recordings on cd, called 'buy this box or we'll shoot this dog" and i gotta say, you guys should all try and track this, or some iteration thereof, down and give it a listen. i looked, but can't find it online. anyone else hear any of this and have thoughts?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

_cG

Re: National Lampoons Radio Hour
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 23:16 »

That's a great box set. That was a great show, I think XM Radio did a brief revival of them a while ago. Isn't it great what you can get away with on the radio? Sex, child abuse, drugs, murder, suicide... all in the name of comedy.

My favorite sketch is the "Suicide Prevention Hotline." That just gets me every time.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 00:01 »

National Lampoon used to be pretty funny.
Hate, rain on me

_cG

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:09 »

Yeah, they used to be awesome. Key phrase being "used to be."

I think their biggest problem is having people writing shocking or edgy comedy who don't know the first thing about shocking or edgy comedy. To do that kind of comedy right you need to write deeper than superficial gags about bodily functions or offensive statements. 

I once had a co-worker tell me, completely seriously, that he thought "Van Wilder" and its sequel were better movies than "Animal House." I really wanted to kill him, you know, to prevent him from breeding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up