THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 02:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)  (Read 638873 times)

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)
« Reply #800 on: 07 Jul 2008, 07:52 »

whee dreads!

at least you don't look like graying old man anymore.

you old man you!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #801 on: 07 Jul 2008, 07:53 »

I'm sorry, I think you must have me confused with Old Mr Hocking.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #802 on: 07 Jul 2008, 11:16 »

While I would agree that down to the waist is too long, hair just past the shoulders often looks great. Similarly, really short hair can look great too. There are too many variables to conclude that length alone determines whether or not a given hairstyle looks good.

ITT: Joe Hocking implies that lots of people are ugly.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #803 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:18 »

Uhhh ... I haven't asked anyone for hair advice ever so I don't know how to do this.

1. Once my hair gets longer than 3 or 4 inches, it curls. A lot. Outwards. Not in a good way either.
So far, I've figured out that drying it well after showering (toweling it off like crazy or going to town with a hair dryer) works but a few hours later I find myself in the same old hairy mess.
In the picture below you can see what I'm talking about.

(Nevermind the retarded look, I do that sometimes when concentrating on something.)

2. My otherwise okay set of genes has decreed that I shall have a receding hairline pretty early in my life. Because I'm vain or don't want to look _that_ old, I comb my hair so it covers the temples. This has been working better the longer my hair has become.

3. I've never colored or dyed my hair and have no idea how I would start.

4. I like my hair semi-long (it just about covers my eyes when I comb it down but thanks to the hairline drama it does so in a slightly triangular fashion :().
When it's really short, I don't have any of the aforementioned problems. But then again there's a lot less things I can do with really short hair and I look like a cheap, short-sighted Jack Johnson knockoff.

Like this (sort of short):

What I'm asking overall is - what should I do with the dead keratin I'm collecting on my head?

And more detailedly - if I'm only dipping my foot into the hair coloring / dying game, what could I start with?
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #804 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:27 »

I don't mind your short hair, actually.

As for dying, what are you thinking? Do you want to keep it natural or experiment with bright colors? Do you want more than one color? Do you want to color your whole head or only go for a chunk/some highlights? There's a lot you can do! Dying in itself is pretty easy, but a tip for your first time: put vaseline around your hairline to keep the dye from staining skin that isn't covered by your hair. I've never had this problem, but I know people who have, especially on their first go.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #805 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:29 »

I think it looks really good in the second photo (suits your facial structure/type of hair, plus the scruffy beard is great), but as proven earlier in the thread, I have no clue when it comes to hair, so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #806 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:34 »

I agree with Ladybug and Linds, it looks nice short. Also, though slightly unrelated, I prefer the beard scruff to the goatee, but that is usually the case in my opinion.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #807 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:37 »

To Linds - I've thought about making it a little brighter quite often. Sort of what happens to your hair when you surf / swim in the ocean a lot. Sun-bleached, I guess.
So - one color / nuance, whole head, no bright colors.

Good thing about it is if I botch it and it looks awwwwwwful, I can just cut it all off and go back to my sexy short hair (thanks Ladybug  :roll:).

I prefer the scruff, too. The goatee picture is more than a year old and I've been rocking the scruff ever since.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #808 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:39 »

Good for you. I am very happy to hear that. My roommate is the only dude I've met that I actually really like a goatee on, so I usually just advise other dudes not to try.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

mooface

« Reply #809 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:43 »

jimmy, are your dreads real or temporary?  if they are temp, were they difficult to have done & are they high maintenance?  i've been playing around with the idea of getting dreadlocks because they look neat, but i don't really want the commitment real dreads take.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #810 on: 07 Jul 2008, 18:00 »

They are synth dreads, Mai. They took about 4 hours to put in (just braided around my actual hair) and they are heaps low maintenance. You can keep them in for a month or two before you need to take them out depending on how fast your hair grows (when my girlfriend had them she had them in for about three months). You need to wash them about once every week and a half to two weeks (I'll be washing mine more because I hang out with a lot of smokers) and you can remove them without having to shave your head. There are heaps of people in america that make them, just shop around on the net and don't be afraid of paying a couple of hundred for them. Most hairdressers will also charge about $100 an hour to install them.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #811 on: 07 Jul 2008, 19:02 »

To Linds - I've thought about making it a little brighter quite often. Sort of what happens to your hair when you surf / swim in the ocean a lot. Sun-bleached, I guess.
So - one color / nuance, whole head, no bright colors.

Sounds good. If you're out in the sun a lot you can get stuff called Sun-In. I've used this and it does give a summer-like bleached quality to your hair without actually bleaching it, so it also doesn't damage your hair as much as dye. If you're not in the sun too much, you can just get a hair dye that is the shade you want.

Hope that helps!

heyliz

« Reply #812 on: 07 Jul 2008, 22:34 »

Hm, I guess you're right. Right now it feels all kinds of weird and awkward in a side part, but I guess it'll take time to get used to it. Damnit, it will be weird to change it, and certain people might comment and make me feel odd, but whatever. My brother saw me and couldn't stop laughing, so that wasn't a very good sign, but he might just be trying to annoy me.

Hah, this feels like a bigger decision than it should be.

This may or may not be too late but if you want side fringe to feel less awkward, try parting it at an angle towards the middle of your head instead of straight on the side, that way the fringe will lay better and you'll still have enough hair on the opposite side to frame your face and keep you proportionate. Also, if you get your stylist to cut your fringe at an angle (assuming she can do it properly) it will fall naturally across your forehead. :)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #813 on: 07 Jul 2008, 23:01 »

So guys, I want to grow out my hair a bit (I just cut it pretty short) and get a shaggy faux hawk. Then I want to dye the faux hawk part of it purple.

Is this a good or terrible idea?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #814 on: 08 Jul 2008, 05:52 »

If it turns out good, then you have a badass hairstyle. If it turns out bad, then you can post pictures here for our amusement. Either way it's a win!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #815 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:45 »

Bringin' this one back from the dead.

Alrighty, I got all lazy with my hair because I didn't care for the cut. It's grown out a bit weird now and soon I'll be all kinds of shaggy. Advice?

Also, I think this is the first time I put a pic of myself up here, so uh, hello world. Also, I'm not afraid of smiling. I just took these pics for the purposes of the thread.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #816 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:06 »

Hi. You're really cute. I am bad at boy hair, but I think with a better part it would look better? I really have a thing for side parts which you have, but only kind of, and when it goes over the ears just a touch like that.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #817 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:12 »

Oh hey I was kinda hoping this thread would make a come back. I have no idea what to do with my hair. I recently graduated from a Catholic school, so there restrictions on what I could do with it, and then...I didn't really do anything with it except get a trim and let it grow out. Do I even need to do anything with it? I'm just kinda weird about my hair.

Also I don't even own a real camera so pardon Photo Booth.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #818 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:21 »

Alright guys, what can i do with this?

I mean, the hair is nice and all, but I want a more updated look. Also, glasses/no glasses? i switch from horned rims to something a bit more contemporary, but I think they're a bit boxy for my face.
And I need to find some way to get rid of the mustache, it itches like a mother and gets in my food.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #819 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:25 »

Just get a chelsea man

sean

• welp
« Reply #820 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:27 »

hahahaha oh phil.

(thread i will be bombarding the fuck out of you when i get my camera back next friday, i need hardcore hair advice.)
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #821 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:36 »

Damn, whipstitch, you are a handsome dude!

I think I'd like to see your hair a lot shorter and a little spikier. But honestly, you are going to look pretty nice with any hair.
Ho, ho, ho!

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #822 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:40 »

My ladyfriend is pretty insistent that I has a mullet. Is she awesome [Y/N]?

Well, is she right?

Regardless of any mullet-ness my hair may be guilty of, does its current state warrant drastic changes? You, QC board, decide!

(The 2nd anniversary of me and my ladyfriend dating is tomorrow, so damn right she is awesome.)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #823 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:45 »

You kind of do, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #824 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:46 »

No mullet there my friend, mullet's are cut short on the top and are long in the back, hence the phrase "business up front, party in the back". Though your hair is lookin' a little flat there, its not bad in my opinion at all.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #825 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:53 »

Although it probably will cross over into mullet territory if you let it get any longer in the back. Be vigilant.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #826 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:56 »

Should I get a trim in the back just so that when the hair does grow out, I avoid the mullet threshold and it all grows evenly?

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #827 on: 13 Oct 2008, 21:12 »

Yes! But just a trim in general is a good idea I think.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #828 on: 13 Oct 2008, 21:19 »

Thanks for the compliments! I'll probably look into a shorter, spikier cut since it sounds a lot less fiddly than trying to corral my hair into the right part all of the time, since my hair is a bit fine and blows around pretty easy.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #829 on: 14 Oct 2008, 02:30 »

Basically, every other year I just have to change my hairstyle. I've done the dyed thing, I've done the highlights, I've done the spikey and the mophead. I'm not brave enough to touch the mullet, but right now I'm at the bedhead stage of life.

Any advice for where to go next, folks? Should I stick with this current style a little bit longer? And sorry about the webcam/lack of smile. It's 10:30AM and I've just woken up, so I obviously can't be bothered to look for my camera or be cheery.

Edit: And yeah, it's the same hairstyle in all three pictures. I didn't touch it or anything. The power of different angles.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2008, 09:47 by Thomas Edison »
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #830 on: 19 Oct 2008, 06:10 »

I like the bed-heady thing you have goin' on...I think you could even go a little shorter on the sides, and maybe a little off the top. The intentionally-messy look works. Wicked.

I am on the right! This is my current hair. I prefer it to be about this length, but the colour is something of an issue with me right now. I've dyed my hair a lot. Pretty much every colour you can think of - except this is the lightest it's ever been (aside from the blue stage) and I really don't think I like it when it's light! A lot of people say it's nice, but I don't know...

This is me with dark hair (at this point it was purpley-black/eggplant/you get the picture) and I love it. Tell me, hair thread, what do I do?
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #831 on: 19 Oct 2008, 11:05 »

What you do is give me your spicy lady friend's number.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #832 on: 19 Oct 2008, 17:09 »

What you do is give me your spicy lady friend's number.

Oh I would, but I have this thing against pimping out 14-year olds.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #833 on: 20 Oct 2008, 06:12 »

Katie is LE PERV
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #834 on: 20 Oct 2008, 15:23 »

@Thomas Edison

try it shorter on the sides.

@allison

I like the colour of your hair now, I would keep it that way. But I'm pretty conservative when it comes to dying your hair, usually I think it looks better natural.

I'm glad this thread is back. I did something radical (to me, and not rad, but big change) to my hair. I will come back with pictures.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #835 on: 21 Oct 2008, 04:46 »

I am going to cut my hair tomorrow! It has been awhile since I last cut my own hair, but now I have a hairstyle where it doesnt matter anyway so I can save money on hairdressers for a while!  Pics to follow!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #836 on: 21 Oct 2008, 13:03 »

So with a lot of drama in my life, I kinda wanna change up my hair a bit, it's often therapeutic. Today a friend mentioned that he thought my hair was getting a bit long, now I hadn't been thinking about cutting it, but what do you guys think? (also, I'm planning some green or blue in  with the blonde bits there, my hair will look like a tree y/n?)

PS- I am sorry I cannot take a silly photo for the life of me.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #837 on: 21 Oct 2008, 19:47 »

Hi guys I cut my hair today.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

It looks the same! Booooring!  At least my fringe isn't stabbing me in the eyes anymore!  Plus it was free so whatever.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #838 on: 12 Nov 2008, 15:13 »

Layers?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #839 on: 12 Nov 2008, 16:30 »

Yes! Also a simpler hoop for your nose, without the big CBR bead:)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #840 on: 12 Nov 2008, 16:33 »

Yeah that hoop is pretty excessive.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #841 on: 12 Nov 2008, 21:48 »

Ugh, I know. I just got it pierced and that was all they had.
I really, really want to change it but a) can't afford it, b) have to wait another week or so before I change it. I'll probably put in a much, much smaller stud.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2008, 21:50 by LizziL »

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #842 on: 12 Nov 2008, 22:07 »

Out of curiosity, what gauge is it?

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #843 on: 12 Nov 2008, 23:45 »

I compared it to the ones I have in my lobes, and I figure it's about a 14 or 12.
Sucks because the same is in my eyebrow -_-.

UPDATE.
Changed it, now it's a stud. :)
Also, still not sure what to do with hair.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 13:51 by LizziL »

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #844 on: 18 Nov 2008, 06:39 »

Okay, Hair Thredd, I need your help.  Badly.

Sorry I look like such shit, but I figure I should at least be honest with the Hair Thredd.  I just woke up, haven't touched it yet, etc.  I figure, why should I hide what I am? [/twoface]

Any bright ideas?  I've had purple and red before, and black streaks, but now it's just kind of... ugh.  This WAS a red dye and a bob with bangs, but now it's fading back to my old color, which is disgusting dishwater blonde, as you can tell. 

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #845 on: 18 Nov 2008, 07:05 »

Honestly? I like it a lot.

Besides the fact that you have some crazy bedhead going on, it's quite nice.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #846 on: 18 Nov 2008, 15:29 »

hair is the best in the second one but it's a weird angle.
I like it long-ish. I cannot stand short hair on myself.
It's kind of boring. Advice?
Nothing I'd have to use too much gel with.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #847 on: 20 Nov 2008, 13:14 »

Hair Thread,

I need a decision made, I've asked other people but they're either "i don't care" or "i don't know", so it's time to ask the masses.
I really need a haircut, this much I know, but I'm stuck between getting a drastic new cut and having a million layers put in, and a kickass fringe (aka, the "Hayley Williams"), or just having a trim and a fringe cut and keeping it dull until it grows longer. I cut it super short in November 06 and have been growing it ever since, it's finally sitting nicely on my shoulders and I dunno if I should just persevere until it's a bit longer and then get a nice cut, or get a nice cut now and then grow it out more.

Basically;

WHAT NOW?

oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #848 on: 20 Nov 2008, 14:24 »

I like pictures 1 and 3. Maybe short and dark?

Amper, I liked your hair when it was red.

sean

• welp
« Reply #849 on: 20 Nov 2008, 14:50 »

Gem picture 3 is pretty rad. I think you should do that again.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58   Go Up