THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 12:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 940632 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses

Starfucker's back in April.

fuck yeah.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer

Gonna go see Woodpigeon and Withered Hand tonight, and then Scottish Enlightenment on Saturday. Let show season start again!

Seen Withered Hand a couple of times, lovely on both occasions.

I am off to see the mighty, mighty Mogwai tonight. MOGWAI. I'm rather excited.

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

Got quite a lineup for the spring!

Feb. 26 - Beach House in DC for one of their last Teen Dream shows
March 20 - MOTHERFUCKING AGALLOCH.
April 7th - SHIT ON A DICK IT'S DESTROYER
April 8th - WHAT THE FUCK THE MOUNTAIN GOATS AND MEGAFAUN

Excite.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Gonna go see Woodpigeon and Withered Hand tonight, and then Scottish Enlightenment on Saturday. Let show season start again!

Seen Withered Hand a couple of times, lovely on both occasions.

I am off to see the mighty, mighty Mogwai tonight. MOGWAI. I'm rather excited.

Aberdeen eh? I'm really bummed out that they're doing all of Scotland but skipping Edinburgh until the 21st. Totally going to see them on the 21st though, that is, it Seetickets remember to send me my ticket.

Went to go see a friend's band tonight, and was really pleasantly surprised by them. Their myspace page doesn't do them justice at all, which I thought was a bit upsetting, because that is pretty much the only way that I could try to convince other people to go see them except for word being "they're really good, trust me".
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

is mogwai already starting their tour for hardcore..., or is that a one-off? either way, fuck you & bring ear plugs
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.

I SAW ANDREW BIRD TONIGHT AND IT WAS THE GREETEST THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Oh man, I saw him at the Winnipeg Folk Fest and he blew my mind

Also all of you guys are mentioning bands that I have never heard of but I am seeing U2 in May and I am really really excited.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Kingston Trio show was magnificent.  I highly recommend it.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

The Decemberists (maybe) next Monday.
Antoine Gratton (maybe next) Thursday.
Baths + Braids on February 18th.
Asobi Seksu + Brahms on February 26th.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor on April 29th.
Video Games Live on April 30th.

Yep.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Baths + Braids on February 18th.

fuck you

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer

is mogwai already starting their tour for hardcore..., or is that a one-off? either way, fuck you & bring ear plugs

Setlist from Aberdeen:

Rano Pano
Mexican Grand Prix
Friend of the Night
White Noise
Hunted by a Freak
How to be a Werewolf
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
Helicon 1
George Square Thatcher Death Party
San Pedro
2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
Batcat

Encore:
Hassenheide
My Father My King

It was fucking brilliant. I'm still all deaf, my neck hurts from rocking out. Such a great night. Sound was amazing.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor

NAPALM DEAAAAATH!!!!

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

They played My Father My King on the last tour as well. Cool setlist, though.

CoyoteKnight

• Plantmonster
  • Reality: synapses firing and chemical reactions

Any Mindless Self Indulgence show that will be in my region.
I am the drummer for Minimal Effect, a rock/jazz/funk fusion band from the Canadian Capital.

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=148103255206220
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MinimalEffectMusic?feature=mhum

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

All you D.C. people better head to the Monotonix show, they're one of the most insane live acts I've ever seen.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Suzanne Vega was fantastic and some of the openers were brilliant.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Hey guys sorry I keep posting in this thread after the fact when it's mean to be about shows you're looking forward to but SUFJAN STEVENS LAST NIGHT, OH MY GOD.

I saw him when he came out here in 2008 and while I thought it was a very good show I didn't think it was amazing, apart from in isolated moments like when he sang "Casimir Pulaski Day". Plus, even though I like the Age of Adz if you'd told me before last night's concert that his set would consist almost entirely of songs from that album I would've been underwhelmed.

But after seeing last night's show I think I appreciate and understand the album a whole lot more.

First up, the visuals: it's so rare in the indie world for a band to go all-out with the visuals, but Stevens' show was in a major theatre (allocated seating! A top-of-the-line sound-system and proper mixing!) and the show itself was suitably theatrical. The band's clothes were all adorned with fluorescent paint and fluorescent strips in various colours, and when the lights were dim they shone out amazingly. There was a backdrop behind the band onto which was projected brilliantly executed animations which actually related to and informed upon the songs being performed. During the finale (more about that later) Stevens adopted a succession of ridiculous head-dresses which made him look like he was auditioning for a part in some indie Village People act. Only in a good way. His back-up singers performed synchronised dance moves but not so slickly that it seemed over-rehearsed. In fact the whole thing had a lovely DIY aesthetic which stopped it all from seeming too slick.

There were eleven people on stage, including two drummers and two trombone players. The sound was absolutely huge. The experience was of an artist finally shaking of his past achievements and screaming in full flight into the future, and that excitement carried over into the audience.

The last song before the inevitable encore was "Impossible Soul" - all 25 minutes of it. Before performing it Stevens told the audience all about his experiences of beginning to write the Age of Adz, and about how he'd started experimenting with a different style of songwriting in which he went into the studio and started with a sound and saw where it took him, and explained that "Impossible Soul" was the culmination of that. By this stage I think even the Illinoise die-hards in the audience had been won over by the sheer power and exuberance of the show, but hearing him explain the process of starting making music again, and explain why Adz is so different from his previous work, it was impossible not to feel happy for the guy because he was so obviously relieved and excited about this new stage in his musical career. All the way through the set a translucent screen had been going up and down in front of the band, with images projected onto it, and then part-way into "Impossible Soul" another screen, previously unseen, in the shape of an enormous diamond, came down mid-stage, and the two dancers started dancing behind it, silhouetted, and different colours were projected onto it, and it looked amazing. And then, most extraordinary of all, at the peak of "Impossible Soul" just over half way through the song hundreds of balloons of all colours and sizes were loosed from the ceiling and fell down onto the audience, and there was an explosion of glitter on the stage, and the dancers encouraged everyone in the audience to stand up from their seats which everyone did in an incredible rolling wave from the front of the theatre to the back, and for the next ten minutes everyone in the audience was standing and dancing and batting balloons around to each-other and it was unbelievable, just the perfect joyous culmination to a spectacular gig.

There was about a five minute standing ovation before Stevens and then the band came back out onstage for the encore, which consisted of three songs from Illinoise: "Concerning the UFO sighting . . ." and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." (both Stevens solo, first on piano then on guitar), and then, of course, "Chicago". And then it was over. Two hours precisely of one of the best and most amazing gigs I've ever been to.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Okay so Primavera Sound are announcing artists one by one and I nearly just bit my hand off.

Explosions in the Sky + Mogwai at one festival made me cream my pants.

Edit: Jesus H. Christ
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2011, 03:51 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Pretty sure I'm going to see Explosions in the Sky at Radio City Music Hall. Eluvium and mother fuckin' Low are both opening. Of course all the other times I've those three bands the shows were in small churches, basements, or regular venues with around a 500 person or less capacity which I much prefer to a big seated event but it's just too hard to pass up seeing this
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

so....Portugal. The Man is playing in Bellingham on Friday...

i kind of want to go but i have this sinking feeling that they might suck live. I don't know why. I have no reason to think that, it's just sort of a gut instinct. It could be totally wrong though! Has anyone here seen them before that can confirm/deny this baseless feeling i have?

also, there are going to be truckloads of hipsters and college kids there and I really hate like 90% of my peers....so I don't know if I want to put myself in that situation. Seriously why is so much of my generation so fucking annoying?!

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

I say go for it, they're an awesome band. Although they really sucked live when they first started touring, I hear that they're pretty good now. They've toured a lot, so it would make sense.

Melodic

• archive chin panties

Hey dude if you're in Bellingham how the fuck come you're not just seeing Police Teeth shows??
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

well, i don't put in any effort to see my favorite bands, why would i put in any to see a band i find slightly annoying and occasionally interesting?

i wouldn't, that's why

i mean, i'm not gonna actively avoid them or anything, because they do have a couple songs i like, but i'm not gonna go out of my way
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Melodic

• archive chin panties

goddamn dude

yr taste

:psyduck:

Inlander

• coprophage

Oh wow, the Mann brothers, (Oliver Mann and Paddy Mann, aka Grand Salvo), two of my favourite local acts, are both playing sets in the same show along with two other bands at the place I used to live around the corner from on Sunday night. The explanation for the show, from the venue's website:

Truly, an iconic Brunswickian feline and staunch supporter of Melbourne’s indie music scene, was recently attacked by escaped huskies and left in a critical condition. TRULY MADLY DEEPLY aims to raise money for precious Truly’s medical treatment, with any further proceeds going towards animals affected by the recent east coast floods.

How can I not go to that?!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

A benefit gig for a kitty? I can feel the hipster waves all the way in Canada  :mrgreen:

Inlander

• coprophage

I'll let you know if I see any cupcakes for sale.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

only if they're vegan though

Hollow Press (my blog)

Inlander

• coprophage

UPDATE:

There will be cupcakes. Also temporary tattoos, of course.

Also, um, a raffle draw with prizes including an upright piano? Holy shit!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

OK that really is pretty dang cool

Inlander

• coprophage

They actually have a beaten up old upright piano on the stage at the Empress where the gig is taking place. I hope it's not that piano, for various reasons.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

gang of four in a couple of hours!! Oh man oh man i have been wanting to see them since i was like 15, this is gonna be so sweet.
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...

going to see acid mothers temple and merzbow this spring (separately).  a bit upset than agalloch are passing toronto by.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Inlander

• coprophage

Having established that I'll be going to a benefit gig for an injured cat tonight . . . Last night, out and about in Fitzroy looking for something to do, I was walking past one of my favourite local live venues and I noticed that a friend's band was playing. I went in, and noticing that there was an unusually large number of bands on the bill that night, I found my friend and asked him what the occasion was. He explained to me that it was a benefit gig for a sick whippet.

No joke.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

totally a good cause!

Hollow Press (my blog)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

going to see acid mothers temple and merzbow this spring (separately).  a bit upset than agalloch are passing toronto by.

They're playing in London. Close enough.

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.

I'm trying to budget tickets to Mogwai. I have 2 livers, amiright? (I am not right.)  :mrgreen:

PintsizesBloodyCock

• Plantmonster
  • Useful Idiot

The Kills in Toronto. Fuck yeah. Hopefully the Sound Academy doesn't ruin the show -- Massive Attack managed to be very good despite the venue's best efforts otherwise.
Repulsed, yet strangely aroused. Kind of like Frank Fitts in the middle of The Castro.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I just bought tickets to see DFA 1979 in London on the 4th of May. Now all I have to do is figure out accommodation.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Crowbar, Helmet, and Kylesa all playing on one day, along with a couple other bands. Holy fuck.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

Godspeed You! Black Emperor in a week from now AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Everyone's favorite swedish pop queen: Robyn. Tonight.

valley_parade

• coprophage

I like heavy, thundering stuff.

But the only two shows I see coming up this summer are Wilco, and then Steely Dan with my mom.  :psyduck:
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Fuck yeah Steely Dan

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy

I hope they're still smooth
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Everyone's favorite swedish pop queen: Robyn. Tonight.

Her set might be what I'm most excited for at Sasquatch this year, no lie.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

hey guys remember that whole thing where im really into post rock and how godspeed you! black emperor is one of my favorite band ever?

yeah the 9:30 just let tickets go on sale like a week ago and i missed it. by the time i found out the show was sold out.

am i justified in murder? just like, a question.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

if it makes you feel any better I got a ticket to one of the NYC shows but it was a long time ago and now I think I lost it.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58   Go Up