THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 16:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 976242 times)

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #3000 on: 17 Jan 2009, 23:51 »

I think some faces just have shapes that are complimented by beards, while some faces don't.

I don't think everything is about confidence, just most stuff. Some things can be made to look actually good, while they wouldn't normally, but some things can only be made to look like "he has to know how bad that looks, he is doing it intentionally." The aforementioned jean short shorts are the latter. That beard might be the first. Maybe.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3001 on: 18 Jan 2009, 02:01 »

get smaller septum jewelry
These and these would be good...

I want the second one so much. Roll on payday. I've got another retainer that I never use, mostly because I bought it and it's way too big, it's exactly the shape I wanted but it hangs down so low that it perpetually rubs on my top lip and it looks absolutely ludicrous. Those ones would be perfect.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3002 on: 18 Jan 2009, 03:51 »

Kieffer, in all honesty I think your beard sucks.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

mooface

« Reply #3003 on: 18 Jan 2009, 06:41 »

honestly, i think the only reason the beard/glasses/clothing work on you is because you are good looking enough to pull it off.  but hey, that just means you should take advantage of the fact that you can get away with it.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3004 on: 18 Jan 2009, 07:23 »

I think the bottom button on coats thing started way back when gentlemen bowed to ladies on the street and leaving the bottom button undone made that easier and more comfortable.

I don't know if that's the real story or not, but it sounds really charming if it is.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3005 on: 18 Jan 2009, 09:57 »

Your new mode of dress (other than the suits, but with the glasses and beard and shaggy hair and general 70's aura) you look just like a dude from this local bluegrass band except on stage he wears a stupid hat. I can only find pictures of him playing where he looks like an asshole, not his normal fashion.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3006 on: 18 Jan 2009, 14:17 »

I have a friend that has a beard like that, you two look A LOT a like with the beard. However, he is very ugly. "

Lose the beard, rock the stubble.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Gilead

« Reply #3007 on: 18 Jan 2009, 15:36 »

I think the bottom button on coats thing started way back when gentlemen bowed to ladies on the street and leaving the bottom button undone made that easier and more comfortable.

I don't know if that's the real story or not, but it sounds really charming if it is.
The extra bottom button stems from when suit buttons were made of expensive metal, only the rich could afford more buttons, so they'd show off by adding a button they didn't even need to the suit. This is also why a lot of suits have a bunch of buttons on the cuff.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3008 on: 18 Jan 2009, 21:39 »

You don't like the suit with the beard, or just the beard.

I really like the first one, but would want to wear it with a different shirt I think. Also, what is the deal with leaving the bottom button undone on suits. Is that a requirement, or just something I am meant to do.

King Edward VII got fat and couldn't button the bottom button. In deference, others stopped doing it and it became A Thing. Nowadays though, jackets are not cut to be able to do it, of you do you end up with funny wrinkles on the jacket. It's also good to take into account that in 3 button jackets, generally only the middle one should be done and that double breasted jackets should never be undone, even while seated, while single breast jackets should never be buttoned when sitting.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3009 on: 19 Jan 2009, 01:33 »

Fuck yeah that's informative. Thanks, E!

So fashion thread my FakeChucks are officially dead, so I am looking for a new pair of black sneakers, because I am sick of Chuck Taylor's. Suggest decent looking black sneakers please.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3010 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:00 »

Kieffer, you look good man.

Also, you kind of look like a college professor. I wear a suit at work, so I always have the bottom button undone, it just looks better, especially if you have a belt or anything, and it gives you a bit more ability to move in the suit.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

nekooo

« Reply #3011 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:44 »

Animal Ghosts, you look like a lot like Brendan Canning. Also, your name is Kieffer? That is my last name!

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #3012 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:15 »

Suggest decent looking black sneakers please.

I wear the blue ones, not black, but I am partial to Adidas Campus II's. I'm on my fourth or fifth pair.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3013 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:31 »

Kieffer's suit,

don't know about the beard though; it's a little much.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #3014 on: 19 Jan 2009, 14:03 »

get smaller septum jewelry
These and these would be good...

I want the second one so much. Roll on payday. I've got another retainer that I never use, mostly because I bought it and it's way too big, it's exactly the shape I wanted but it hangs down so low that it perpetually rubs on my top lip and it looks absolutely ludicrous. Those ones would be perfect.

AH! Quote tunnel, sorry!  But seriously, I've had like almost every kinda of septum jewelry, they all are pretty terrible, for my own person experience. That retainer that you want is alright, but they fall out a lot.  I like how horseshoes look the best, but you always end up losing one off the balls and it becomes perpetually uneven. I really like that first shell/bone(?) one though, I'm gonna try to look for one in an actual store...
I like the way you work it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #3015 on: 19 Jan 2009, 14:09 »

Also, fashion thread, I kinda want to start wearing those really nice men's dress shoe, in my size, of course. I know it's kinda dyke, but I actually think it looks pretty cool. Like particular ones that look like this:

Also, maybe a pair of mens (style) loafers, with like cuffed/rolls up jeans and no socks. Yeeaahhhh.
I like the way you work it.

Gilead

« Reply #3016 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:04 »

Skibas that will be hard to pull off but personally I think if you can do it you will look hot as hell.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3017 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:27 »

I can't really picture it, but as always you can refer back to rule number 33: "Good looking people look good in pretty much anything."
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #3018 on: 19 Jan 2009, 16:12 »

Julia, I had considered getting old-lady-looking court shoes lately, but I reckon I couldn't pull it off. I've been seeing them in quite fashionable places, but not seen anyone wear them.
I reckon you'd look good in leather lace-ups like these, you can get ladies ones, but they are not very different.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3019 on: 19 Jan 2009, 16:41 »

Animal Ghosts, I'm loving those suits.

Re: Summer clothes and shorts.

I have been dressing like this a lot lately, seeing as how it's summer and all. I guess it's a bit casual pirate style? Anyway, I quite like the way the cut-off shorts + chunky belt + horizontal stripes thing is going. Sorry for the blurriness, couldn't get it non-blurry without the flash.

Also, dear god I need some advice on how to buy sunglasses. Every time I try some on, they go from looking good on the rack to looking weird on my head. Maybe I have strange head proportions? I don't know. What are other people wearing these days? I want something classic in style, no coloured frames or such.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3020 on: 19 Jan 2009, 16:45 »

I think if those were more fitted they would look a lot better, personally.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3021 on: 19 Jan 2009, 17:23 »

I like the pseudo-pirate style. It actually really works for you! Also Brittany is right, you could do well to look for a better fit.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3022 on: 19 Jan 2009, 17:27 »

The green top looks kind of like the "sandman" top from the third spiderman film.

Other than that, good pirate look.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3023 on: 19 Jan 2009, 17:27 »

Re: fitted shorts.

Yeah, I see what you're saying.

I think I accidentally lost some weight. The first pair of shorts used to fit rather well. The second have always been kinda baggy.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3024 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:16 »

Pretty much everybody looks goo in Ray-Ban Wayfarers, and they've got a whole bunch of slight variations on the shape these days (bigger/smaller, rounder/squarer), if you don't mind having the same pair of sunglasses as everybody and their dog.

I wear the blue ones, not black, but I am partial to Adidas Campus II's. I'm on my fourth or fifth pair.

Are they expensive? I'm not looking to go over $100 here, because they are likely to take a bit of a beating and I have enough pairs of expensive sneakers already. On the other hand, I have wanted a pair of adidas for ages.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 00:19 by David_Dovey »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #3025 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:28 »

I submit this photograph as proof that everyone looks good in Ray Ban Wayfarers:

Dovey for cheap black sneaks that will take a beating gosh:

V-Dove, I enjoy everything you wear! You know how to put clothes together, sir. May I suggest, however, if you are in need of some accessorisation, a jaunty bandanna 'round the neck or head? A bit camp, perhaps, but oh so classy.

Oh also Kiff a suggestion perhaps for the too much hair dilemma could be to give your hair a trim to thin it out a bit? I like the style it has going, all waves and curls and raggedy but it seems to have a bit too much body? That and a very slight beard trim would look hot as heck.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 00:32 by Lunchbox »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3026 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:43 »

Aw heck why did I not think of Volleys

Gilead

« Reply #3027 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:46 »

They are only like, the australian national sneaker, so no big deal.

You traitor.

Also Ally I actually feel that Ryan's wayfarers are not complimenting his face shape at all.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3028 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:52 »

Nationalist pigdog

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3029 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:29 »

Well shit, I actually like the cut-offs.  Maybe they are the answer to my perennial "what kind of short pants should I be wearing now oh god" question.  Hm.

Josefbugman

« Reply #3030 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:16 »

See! Est has the right idea, cut-offs are the future.

also, ended up going dressed up like this to a really cheesy night out, it worked and I now have a date this friday.

I know it does look a bit silly, but it kept me warm on the walk and was able to look good doing it.

Although I will admit it eventually ended up getting somewhat cast aside and ended up looking like this:

Does anyone think I should do this more often? Or does it make me look like a posh git.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

mietteissass

« Reply #3031 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:12 »

I think you look fantastic! I adore the hat, I love hats. Next time get a wider tie that doesnt go past your belt like though. It really will pull the look together.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3032 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:41 »

Yeah, get a shorter tie, and then it will be better. I like the look, though.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Gilead

« Reply #3033 on: 20 Jan 2009, 19:04 »

Josef if you are going to do that all the time you basically need a tailored suit that fits properly. It will change the look from 'why the hell is that guy wearing a suit' to 'holy shit that man looks sharp as hell I want to touch his areas'.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3034 on: 21 Jan 2009, 00:24 »

I feel like discussing some points on fashion.

I recently bought a pretty nice pair of gladiator sandals despite having decided not to because it had become a fad. But the are really comfortable and really nice looking! So my opinions have been swayed. I am afraid however they will soon go back out of fashion and I will look silly. Anyway, what is the general opinion on their fad-ness?
Mine are black without any buckles or rubbish and a zip at the back.

Also, what of the fashion of wearing gladiator sandals with jeans tucked into the top. I think it is rather silly and wear my jeans over my sandals.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3035 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:23 »

Seriously what the fuck is that shit. Gladiator sandals are bad enough to begin with and then they tuck jeans into the top of them.

Ladies here is Mr Dovey's hot tip for fashions: Whatever Mischa Barton does, do the opposite.

Josefbugman

« Reply #3036 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:10 »

meh, I prefer looking slightly care worn, I don't really want people to feel me up, I just want to look odd enough to be interesting.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3037 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:28 »

I knew a guy who liked looking pretty odd. Didn't do it for me.

Josefbugman

« Reply #3038 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:32 »

lol, I don't want it to "do it" for people, I not actually much of a "relationship" person. I prefer making friends and can usually do that if I look sufficeinetly odd.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #3039 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:09 »

You will look better if you actually get a suit that fits. This is harsh, but I don't know how to say it, you don't look interesting/odd, you look like you're wearing a suit you borrowed from your dad.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Josefbugman

« Reply #3040 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:12 »

True, that is a problem... I dunno though, I don't want to screw my parents over in terms of money. You see they promised to pay for any clothing I would get while at uni, and a tailored suit... well thats liable to cost quite a bit and I don't want to foist it on them to pay for it.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3041 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:20 »

You could do what I used to do, if you were so inclined. Go to op-shops, find a suit that fits decent, and get it adjusted to fit if needed. Doesn't cost very much. The jacket is what you want to get sized right from the get-go, as pants are a lot easier to alter.

Edit: Also, keep an eye out for decent black jackets, 'cause they're the easiest to match up with pants seperately.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2009, 03:22 by ViolentDove »

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #3042 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:21 »

You can still go off the rack and have it fit pretty okay, provided you have a fairly regular shaped body. I'm guessing Kieffer's suits were off the rack and they look okay.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Josefbugman

« Reply #3043 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:25 »

I have a few good sets of trousers, but I don't really know what size to get... then again if there is anytime to do it now midway through the january sales is probably the best.

Okie dokie, I will go shopping tomorrow, see if I can find a jacked the really fits.

BTW, Random question but how does my current one look wrong?

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3044 on: 21 Jan 2009, 04:52 »

Short shorts hmmmmmmm

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3045 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:25 »

Oh come on Jens, you know your legs would look hella sexy in a pair of those.

:-D
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3046 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:00 »

lol, I don't want it to "do it" for people, I not actually much of a "relationship" person. I prefer making friends and can usually do that if I look sufficeinetly odd.

No offense dude, but I think this is the worst fashion strategy. Focusing on looking "strange" or "odd" is basically just the same as being random on the internet. It doesn't say anything good about your personality, and it doesn't help you in the long run. It might make you friends, but only if you're trying to be "wacky guy" which isn't really a role that you, or anyone, should be trying to fill.

Also, my suits were, I think, tailored, but they weren't tailored to fit me, so I guess the point stands.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3047 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:14 »

Those shorts look good on that dude because he has spectacular legs. Most gentlemen don't. So I vote against most people wearing those particular shorts.

I like most shorts, though.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Josefbugman

« Reply #3048 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:18 »

Maybe odd was the wrong word. I am just trying to look a bit different to everyone else. I cannot look that good in normal clothing because I usually don't feel that sort of confidence to talk to people if I am just wearing ordinary clothing. In a suit its a bit different, it gives me a bit of eccentricity and enough confidence to strike up a conversation, I don't feel like I am another face in the crowd.

I am not trying to be "wacky" I would sooner gnaw my own arm off, I am not trying to be too different either, I am just trying to be what gives me enough oomf to be able to talk to people and that happens to be my suit and the odd double whisky. Also, I am already the weird one, I am quiet, dillignet, I do my work, I am good at talking to people if they need cheering up or a shoulder to cry on. Besides I have been the odd guy for what... ohhhh 16 years now, I don't think that is going to change much unless I really want to, and if I am honest I don't want it to I can still suprise friends and I can still scare people who shouldn't be in the least afraid of me.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3049 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:26 »

Man, don't be that guy that is always really dressed up, it'll look like you are constantly coming from being at work in an office or something. For going to like clubs or concerts its okay, but not like, to the movies, or just out hanging with friends. Unless you're all dressed up nicely, you'll just look way out of place.

Protip: Do not find different fashion, find confidence.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77   Go Up