AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 183798 times)

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #350 on: 03 Dec 2008, 10:08 »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #352 on: 03 Dec 2008, 13:37 »

Great post! Quality insight!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #353 on: 03 Dec 2008, 13:47 »

Donating it to the library only exacerbates the problem, Gemm. I'd recommend burning it, but that shows the book too much respect through the effort required. Shove the book in your attic and just forget you have it. That is the proper solution.

I know, I know, I can't bring myself to burn books again, I feel bad enough after the first and only one, but the problem with the attic is that I don't have one. I live in a flat.

Still, giving it to the library will make me feel better about buying it, because then I won't have entirely wasted my money. Gemm: Stocking YOUR Library's Shelves Since 1987.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

peach

« Reply #354 on: 03 Dec 2008, 13:49 »

I think donating it to your library is a great idea.
Even if you think Twilight is a horrible book, aren't you at least happy that kids are reading???

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #355 on: 03 Dec 2008, 13:54 »

It might put them off reading!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #356 on: 03 Dec 2008, 13:57 »

I know, I know, I can't bring myself to burn books again, I feel bad enough after the first and only one, but the problem with the attic is that I don't have one. I live in a flat.

Still, giving it to the library will make me feel better about buying it, because then I won't have entirely wasted my money. Gemm: Stocking YOUR Library's Shelves Since 1987.

Yeah, but you'll also be spreading the disease. Don't you have any wobbly chairs or uneven table legs you can prop with it?

Even if you think Twilight is a horrible book, aren't you at least happy that kids are reading???

I like kids reading and all, but I want kids to read decent literature. Shoveling crap like this on them is really not a step up from rotting their brain with bad TV.
JON MADE ME GAY

peach

« Reply #357 on: 03 Dec 2008, 14:05 »

Some people see Twilight as "decent" literature. It's entertaining for them, let kids be kids....or kids wishing that they could fall in love with a vampire and then have him turn them into a vampire and they would live happily ever after with the perfect life forever.
Either way, let them eat cake.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #358 on: 03 Dec 2008, 14:12 »

some people may find these books entertaining, but that doesn't make them quality literature.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

dozyrozy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #359 on: 03 Dec 2008, 14:30 »

I like kids reading and all, but I want kids to read decent literature. Shoveling crap like this on them is really not a step up from rotting their brain with bad TV.
Maybe Twilight isn't great literature, but at least it's encouraging them to read. And if they start by read things like this then it's a step up. Maybe it'll encourage them to try other things, things which people do consider to be great literature. I know I've read some rubbishy books in my time, but reading them makes me want to find better books even more.
I think I'll take a nap now...

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #360 on: 03 Dec 2008, 14:38 »

People used the same reasoning to defend the Harry Potter series when (gasp) some people said it was not exactly the literary shit, and it turns out quite a lot of the people who decided, despite not normally reading books, to read Harry Potter, when finished with it resumed their illiterate ways. 

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #361 on: 03 Dec 2008, 14:54 »

I have frankly always found the phrase "at least they're reading" to be completely ridiculous. Why don't we apply it to other areas of activity?

"Gossip Girl is a horrible show" "At least it gets kids watching TV"

"This derogatory music is horrible" "At least it gets kids memorizing things"

"Ralph Nader is running for president again" "At least it gets 3rd party candidates into the election"
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #362 on: 03 Dec 2008, 15:11 »

"OH FUCK GOD THERE ARE ZOMBIE CHILDREN EVERYWHERE AND THEY'RE KILLING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!!"

"At least they're getting some exercise."
JON MADE ME GAY

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #363 on: 03 Dec 2008, 15:48 »

First of all, what "decent literature" exists for children?

Lewis Carroll.  Roald Dhal.  Beatrix Potter.  C.S. Lewis.  E.B. White.  Shel Silverstein.  Eoin Colfer.  Louis Sachar.

Great post! Quality insight!

Wonderful quality is the best way to post fifteen times a day.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #364 on: 03 Dec 2008, 16:03 »

Lewis Carroll? Man, I remember reading Alice in Wonderland when I was about 11 and it made no sense at all. I think it's got a lot of nonsensical stuff in it which can be hard for kids to grasp. I have noticed when reading books/watching movies that I had first seen when I was younger that a lot of the themes or concepts (hell, even obvious plot devices) that went straight over my head the first time were much more obvious now.

I agree with Jens, though. I used to read Babysitter's Club books, for Christ's sake. Thankfully my parents have a lot of books of differing levels, so when I finished the books I had I would trawl our bookshelves for something else. But I was about 10 then. Reading these books at 16-20 and saying "well at least they're reading" is a cop out, because those kids would have to be reading for school anyway. Even if they aren't reading for school (which is fair enough, school reading is generally not what you want to do) there are so many books out there that are probably the same level of difficulty as Twilight, but written much better.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #365 on: 03 Dec 2008, 17:37 »

I say let people who want to be entertained by something be entertained by it.  With the excepted of this topic, the only place where Twilight has been interjected into my life is in a couple posters on a wall and some commercials on TV.  It doesn't affect me, live and let lie.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #366 on: 03 Dec 2008, 18:20 »

That and I am so fucking sick and god damn tired of hearing about Edward Fucking Cullen aaargh slash yer fuckin' face prettyboy vampire asshole.

Jens you know I think you would make a good vampire.

Just sayin'.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #367 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:21 »

Out of curiosity, what grade do you teach?  Know this - the positivity of my outlook on the future may hang in the balance of your answer.

8th grade.  Oh, and 6th.  But I don't think I could do that to 11 year olds.  I'm more than happy to fuck with 13 year old girls.  They need to grow up.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #368 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:41 »

I nothing else, this thread has given me grounds for a new sig quote:

I'm more than happy to fuck with 13 year old girls.
JON MADE ME GAY

peach

« Reply #369 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:46 »

All that it comes down to, is it doesn't matter what any of you think. The fact of the matter is, is no matter what you say, Stephenie Meyer is the one with the movie in production. Also, to say any literature that gets kids INTERESTED in reading is bad literature seems in bad taste.

If you want your kids reading something more intelligent, great, present it to them, but it IS ungrateful to spit in the faces if books like that got them into reading in the first place.

I guess what it all comes down to is that the majority of you are just ungrateful.

Pity.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2008, 19:52 by peach »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #370 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:49 »

I get far too much of a kick out of an eighteen year old with such atrocious grammar and punctuation telling us reading this garbage is actually beneficial to people.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #371 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:53 »

All that it comes down to, is it doesn't matter what any of you think.

Which of course would need to apply as a sweeping rule meaning it doesn't matter what you think either. Therefore we should disregard your post as well.
I've never read the books, I've never seen the movie. I started reading Harry Potter, but by the time I got to the 3rd book, I said fuck this, I think I'll read The Hobbit again. There are books and there is literature. Books get kids interested in reading. Literature grabs the kids and keeps them reading.

Recently, I've been reading the Horus Heresy novels, they are literature because they give you the feeling that you want to turn the page and keep reading, the story doesn't get bogged down in little details (although for some people it feels that way). Also, people don't start reading them because there's a goddamn movie of it. If you make a movie of it of course more people will read it, because they saw the damn movie and they get pulled into the franchise.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #372 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:53 »

All that matters is what your mom thinks.

Bam.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #373 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:56 »

I think what it probably is is that we're such an "indie" forum and so we can't stand the thought of anything that is popular being good.

I didnt really notice it before but Peach's clear and succinct post has enlightened me to this stark reality.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

peach

« Reply #374 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:59 »

Who's richer than the Queen of England? J.K. Rowling.
Know why? She wrote a shitty CHILDRENS book. Are any of you richer than the Queen of England? Didn't think so.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #375 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:00 »

Generic Name, have you not read the post in the thread where we say all the things that are wrong with this? Where has "oh man, it's so popular; therefore it must be shit" come up?

I would have thought the fact that the characters are flat, the story ridiculously sluggish and the lack of plot would be more reasons why the forum in general (at least the posters in this thread) do not like the books.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #376 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:01 »

Who's richer than the Queen of England? J.K. Rowling.
Know why? She wrote a shitty CHILDRENS book. Are any of you richer than the Queen of England? Didn't think so.

So, what you're saying is that it's okay to exploit an entire generation with something terrible as long as it makes you money? That doesn't seem like the best thing for the youth of the world.

I mean, I don't want to be richer than the Queen of England, money doesn't bring happiness.

peach

« Reply #377 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:05 »

It happens though, and it's been happening forever. Every kid wants the cool new thing. It's called a fad.
Examples; Pokemon, Slinkies, WoW, Harry Potter, NeoPets, etc, etc, etc.

And of course money doesn't bring happyiness, but a new BMW in the snap of my finger would make me pretty happy.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2008, 20:08 by peach »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #378 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:06 »

I think what it probably is is that we're such an "indie" forum and so we can't stand the thought of anything that is popular being good.

I didnt really notice it before but Peach's clear and succinct post has enlightened me to this stark reality.

Fuck that sentiment.  I'm not even going to begin ranting about how ridiculous of an idea that is.

Man, give me a month and I will produce a book on the same level as Twilight.  Without having even read it.  This book will be my wet dream, and the vampire will be a really tan hot chick instead of a pasty dude.  And many middle school chess club members will jack off to this shit, and I will get a movie deal and cause an uproar when I cast Megan Fox as the lead instead of whoever the fuck else.  And I will take my 100 million dollars and pay to have Stephanie Meyer clean my ass every time I take a shit.

That seemed a bit harsh.  But it's off my chest, now.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #379 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:10 »

I would argue the same for WoW, considering it has over 10 million monthly subscribers.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

peach

« Reply #380 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:10 »

Twilight is in almost every country and in 22 different languages or something like that. It's world wide, you can't stop it until it fizzles out like everything else.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #381 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:11 »

And they have each fucked up generations equally.
35 year old dude that plays with pokemon cards. NOT COOL.
35 year old dude that plays WoW while living in his parent's basement. NOT COOL.
35 year old chick that has a hard-on for writing about harry and ron making out on the magical train to cuntville. NOT COOL.
35 year old dude that thinks vampires are real and can't secure a job outside of burger king. NOT COOL.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot more things these people could be doing that are actually progressive and help them out by giving real life skills.
My sister is one of those harry potter fan fic writers. She can't seem to hold a job to save her life. Ever since she started reading the stuff.
I THINK ITS RELATED.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #382 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:12 »

See guys I thought my post was ridiculous enough for it not to be taken seriously. Ah well.

But peach I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing at this point: Twilight and Harry Potter are to be appreciated because they made people richer than us? But they are also just a fad, so we should not be criticizing them because they will die out by themselves? Or am I misinterpreting you?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #383 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:13 »

I've always felt Fads were things like Beanie Babies or Tamagotchis, that still hold on to an existence because of a small amount of collectors and diehards.

You're right,Twilight's a fad, but you kinda picked bad examples of fads.  I mean, we're not really lamenting the existence of WoW.  Half the damn board plays WoW, and I think there's even a guild.  I am just pissed at being led to believe that there were going to be vampires.  There are clearly no vampires, just old people who age very well and like their burgers very rare.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

peach

« Reply #384 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:17 »

What I'm simply trying to say is that Twilight will fizzle out. I don't understand why people can't just let it be what it is for the moment. They have to get so upset and so angry that its catching on so fast, when at any given moment there are more than 3,000,000 people on WoW, yet it's not "stupid" or "not a real game" like they say the book is. It doesn't make sense to me.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #385 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:20 »

Man, what the fuck.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #386 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:21 »

We are amassing a futile attempt to expedite the process that involves hitting people until they see the light showing them how objectively terrible their porn mag children's novel is.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #387 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:23 »

Peach despite what my last post may have told you we don't actually hate Twilight because of its popularity. But I think we should all put our disagreements aside because I cannot see Peach agreeing that Twilight is bad based on the many reasons but I cannot see anyone else agreeing with Peach and so this will go nowhere.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #388 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:24 »

I think its less of a matter of the book itself being popular. But more the fact that none of it was popular until it became a movie. Whereas with Harry Potter, the book itself was popular, and then the movies only cemented the popularity.

The same thing with WoW, it started with a pre-established fanbase through the Warcraft RTS games, also the fact that Blizzard has been making games forever. There is a fanbase already, they didn't create a new one by creating WoW. Just like Pokemon, at the same time, there were at least 3 other pokemon type shows/systems out there. It was just a matter of nintendo (a well known company) endorsing pokemon and making all of it hit at once. Games, cards, and television. They didn't have the cards out for years and then suddenly make a movie and everyone loved it. It was a gradual thing. Also, the original versions of a lot of this stuff is pretty fuckin hardcore and not as cartoony as the American version makes it seem.

What I'm saying here is that Twilight sucks because it wasn't a book that people read and then saw the movie. People heard about the movie, and then they read the books. And that's wrong. Like Tommy, I didn't even know what Twilight was until someone told me what it was about.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #389 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:26 »

Peach, what the hell are you even trying to say?  Are you arguing that Twilight is above criticism because it's popular?  Are you saying that the only measures of importance worth worrying about are popularity and how much money it makes you?

Twilight may be popular, but it is by no means a good book.  It is sloppily-written and is full of absolutely awful shit I would not want my kids to be reading.  To bring up the "it is a kids book, it gets them into reading" defense is abhorrent to me because there are already decently-written books that can fulfill this role without the utterly repugnant, damaging messages in the series.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #390 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:27 »

Yeah, I wasn't aware of it either, until this thread.

IF WE PUT OUR DISAGREEMENTS ASIDE, WHAT WILL WE BE ABLE TO DISCUSS YELL?  

peach

« Reply #391 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:29 »

I think you are all just trying to put up a "I'm-to-cool-for-Twilight-so-I'm-going-to-post-about-how-bad-it-sucks-on-the-internet" font.
Accept the fact that deep down, inside, you slightly enjoyed it.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #392 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:30 »

IF WE PUT OUR DISAGREEMENTS ASIDE, WHAT WILL WE BE ABLE TO DISCUSS YELL?  

Your agreements.

HEY PEACH I LIKE POSTING ON THESE FORUMS

HEY DIMMUKANE I DO TOO

And so on.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #393 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:32 »

Also, of the examples of "fads" you bring up only one is anywhere near an appropriate comparison.  The Harry Potter series was not overly well-written, but at least it didn't tell teen girls that overprotective, emotionally domineering, manipulative relationships are ok so long as the guy is really really really really hot.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #394 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:35 »

I think you are all just trying to put up a "I'm-to-cool-for-Twilight-so-I'm-going-to-post-about-how-bad-it-sucks-on-the-internet" font.
Accept the fact that deep down, inside, you slightly enjoyed it.

Peach, some people have already said they enjoyed it, so this argument falls flat.  There is a difference between enjoying something and it being good.  I can eat some KFC and realise it's junk food.  If I ate it and tried to claim it was haute cuisine I would expect that some people would have words to say about the matter.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #395 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:36 »

Damn, I was going to post my opinions on this subject, but I disagree with the fangirl.

It does not matter what I think because I am ungrateful for Stephenie Meyer's amazing contributions to popular culture.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #396 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:37 »

I can say that I honestly have no urge to read it. From what I've heard, they aren't the badass world of darkness vampires that turn into MOTHERFUCKING demons when they feed, so really, there's no reason to read it.

Also, the argument you're using was defined by the Greeks and Romans as graspingicus at strawsicles it's not a very useful tactic. :)

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #397 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:38 »

I VERY MUCH THINK I SHOULD GO GET SOME MORE WATER, I'M FEELING A BIT PARCHED.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #398 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:39 »

Peach, Have you read the thread at all? People have said they liked it (albeit as a guilty pleasure, or as something that doesn't strain our brains that much). The fact that we like it doesn't mean it's not a pretty terribly written book. The messages are still in there, and the characters are still pretty uninteresting.

As I said to Generic name (who I didn't realise was joking, btw), none of us have said "I am too cool to like Twilight", nor have we said "It is too popular for me to like". I do not like it because, as someone who likes to write and knows how hard it is to get things published, it is a very mediocre book that somehow has gotten a lot of publicity. I am not an overly great writer, but I would be able to do better than this, but I have a hunch I won't get a book published any time soon, nor will it be something I can live off. It offends me on a number of levels, but that hits a little close to the bone.

Also, my vampires don't fuckin' sparkle
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #399 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:41 »

"I am too cool to like Twilight", "It is too popular for me to like".

This is the second time today that I am reading between the lines.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up