AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 183799 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #550 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:07 »

Death by Snu-Snu!
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #551 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:08 »

damn, I got ninja'd on that one... you win this time Alex...

By the way Twilight was based from some mormon chick's creepy wet dream
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #552 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:08 »

It's not "rape" if you want it, frullic.

Jesus fucking christ.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #553 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:09 »

some argue 2 guys 1 horse was rape...

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #554 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:11 »

Frullic, have you read the thread at all? We have already talked all about what the story is based on.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 21:13 by Eris »
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #555 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:12 »

I read it, just needs to be posted everywhere, kinda like Desu

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #556 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:13 »

What. The. Fuck. Is going on here?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #557 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:13 »

I know, right?

Frullic, please stop talking.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #558 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:18 »

hey, you try posting something intelligent while high

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #559 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:20 »

Hey, try not posting something at all when you're high! Obviously it doesn't work well!

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #560 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:21 »

fine, I'll go diss people on 4Chan then

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #561 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:22 »

Excellent decision.  Cupcakes all round.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #562 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:25 »

ugh, I just burned my eyes on some bad Twilight hentai someone posted in /b/

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #563 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:30 »

eh, it happens.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #564 on: 08 Jan 2009, 22:21 »

Rape is not consensual.

Rape is not consensual.

Rape is not consensual.

Also, I don't know how many here are readers of Something*Positive, but the blogs from the last 2 days have been talking/ranting about a convention/extortion scheme for twilight fans. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to separate stupid people from their money.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #565 on: 09 Jan 2009, 05:18 »

I was just told that my friend's sister, who is obsessed with Twilight, took it too far.  Other than the shirts, bracelets, other typical fangirl crap, she got a frickin tattoo of a vampire bite on her neck.  She's a twenty yr old girl!  Come on!  And she's actually really intelligent!  I don't see how she could be that dumb.   
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #566 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:32 »

One of the highest points of my holiday season was being in a bookstore while a middle aged, paunchy woman wearing a motorcycle jacket, a TEAM EDWARD shirt, and her accessory-cum-lifepartner entered, realized that the Twilight soundtrack was playing and then loudly started singing and lurching around in a semblance of dancing.

TEAM EDWARD

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #567 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:53 »

my vote still goes for TEAM VAMPIRE BASEBALL.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #568 on: 09 Jan 2009, 12:11 »

What about Team Tyler's van? We could have cut the whole damn thing down to a hundred pages.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #569 on: 09 Jan 2009, 14:53 »

Jesus shit. I found out last night that my girlfriend's (older) sister is really into the Twilight series. Both Alyssa and I hate it and were picking on her sister about it, since she's a woman in her late 20s who has a degree in engineering. She got really upset about it and ranted about people who think they're better than other people because they don't read Twilight, then stormed out of the room. Alyssa and I just kind of stared at eachother afterward in silence. It was...very bizarre. I know other people who've read the books, but when teased about it, they usually admit that it's just pulpy, pointless escapism. I haven't come across someone who actually gets angry about the thing.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #570 on: 10 Jan 2009, 08:51 »

Because ultimately only fucking assholes legitimately hate on what other people do in there spare time.  Naturally provide it isnt shaking babies or kicking dogs.

Its ok to gently chide people but to really hate on them and genuinely insult them is beyond prickish.  Seriously when I was 17 I used to care what other people did and be an asshole about it, then I grew up and realized theres 'different strokes for different folks' and not everyone is going to live up to the ideal I expect of them (let alone myself).

"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

SayWhat

« Reply #571 on: 10 Jan 2009, 09:36 »

I found the Twilight books to be vapid crap. Granted, it's wonderful that more kids are reading, and I know a few who started reading different books after Twilight showed them that maybe it was fun to read sometimes, but I still had to push myself to read the books (most of my immediate friends are into the series, so I read it too). I really found the depiction of Edward's and Bella's romance as wonderful/inspiring/true love disturbing, it seems far to co-dependent and obsessive to be anywhere near healthy. What really bothers me is a 15 year old girl I know thinks that's how all relationships should work, and got upset because her boyfriend didn't get obscenely jealous when another guy hugged her. Christ on toast, people, having someone sneak into your bedroom and watch you sleep is not romantic, it's fucking creepy.

I honestly liked Meyer's The Host a lot better. I thought it was more original and the writing was of better quality than Twilight, though I still wouldn't classify it as an 'adult novel'.

peach

« Reply #572 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:32 »

Agreed. The Host much better than the Twilight series.

Also, why Chuck Norris get changed to Anal Prolapse in my last post? I don't understand.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #573 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:05 »

It's a word filter.  Can't remember what for.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #574 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:08 »

Also, why Anal Prolapse get changed to Anal Prolapse in my last post? I don't understand.

Wut?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #575 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:13 »

Anal Prolapse is a word filter for when you type Chuck Norris.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #576 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:17 »

Thank god, Chuck Norris jokes/everything was quite the fad I had to endure.  Im glad its over (mostly)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #577 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:54 »

I never really minded Chuck Norris jokes. I mean, his acting is so wooden that I wouldn't have been surprised if he caught fire in the middle of one of his films. I don't understand why you wouldn't want a guy like that in your life at some level.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #578 on: 10 Jan 2009, 12:23 »

They are like dead baby jokes.  Theres only ever been 1 punch-line, just many extrapolations thereof.

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #579 on: 10 Jan 2009, 14:05 »

I finally read Twilight&New Moon&Eclipse during my last year of high school, since all my friends were insane about it... The style was, well, interesting, in that same way that reading Harry Potter fanfictions written by twelve year olds is interesting. Though maybe not quite that bad. I read every book, and what struck me was the fact that it had the potential to be as good as everyone made it out to be... but it really wasn't even remotely near reaching that level.
I just don't get why people are so insane over it. I mean, I kind of get the Harry Potter craze. The plot's amazing for that, especially when you take into account that the woman worked on those books for seventeen years - longer than most of her target audience's lives. But these things?
It's just... there seems to be so little thought put into it all. I simply don't understand what's got the rabid fangirls out in the droves.

SayWhat

« Reply #580 on: 10 Jan 2009, 14:20 »

I finally read Twilight&New Moon&Eclipse during my last year of high school, since all my friends were insane about it... The style was, well, interesting, in that same way that reading Harry Potter fanfictions written by twelve year olds is interesting. Though maybe not quite that bad. I read every book, and what struck me was the fact that it had the potential to be as good as everyone made it out to be... but it really wasn't even remotely near reaching that level.
I just don't get why people are so insane over it. I mean, I kind of get the Harry Potter craze. The plot's amazing for that, especially when you take into account that the woman worked on those books for seventeen years - longer than most of her target audience's lives. But these things?
It's just... there seems to be so little thought put into it all. I simply don't understand what's got the rabid fangirls out in the droves.

I think that part of it is because the books are very, very uncomplicated, plot wise. There's no deeper thought necessary, you just read the books and it's laid out for you, it's really predictable. There isn't anything new or surprising about the plot, and that's the attraction; it's really really simple.  Another part is that it's so full of emotion (everyone knows your average teenage girl is just bursting over with drama queen tendencies, after all). The 'relationship' and all the emotional ups and downs it brings speaks to girls who are living in the world of junior high.

tl ; dr, Twilight is popular because its targeted audience likes simple yet dramatic things, and Twilight is very simple and dramatic.

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #581 on: 10 Jan 2009, 16:10 »

Ugh. That's so stupid. The whole constant inner drama queen thing, I mean. I get what you're saying, and it definitely makes sense, and lines up with the girls I knew... but it doesn't make the concept (and the fact that it is true) any less stupid.
I mean, I'm sorry, but I got enough daily dramatics from my idiot friends, and they were frankly much less annoying than Bella. Not to mention they didn't go on constantly about how breathtakingly perfect their boyfriend of perfection always, always is.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #582 on: 10 Jan 2009, 17:28 »

This made me laugh. It sums it up pretty brilliantly.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #583 on: 11 Jan 2009, 09:58 »

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you tWHYlight
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #584 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:22 »

Besides pocky and fanfic? Unthinkable!

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #585 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:39 »

I was reading the Amazon Twilight fora and saw a LOT of comparisons to Harry Potter, especially by fangirls who used Harry Potter as an example of something worse. I mean really, people, Harry Potter was not an extraordinarily well-written book, but it didn't use shitty purple prose as a crutch either. There was depth and variety in the characters, and the protagonists were not raging dicks. There was actually a sense of adventure in HP, rather than OMG HE'S SO PRETTY bullshit, and at least Potter could occassionally stand on his own two legs from time to time. And he didn't spend the first hundred pages of the book fawning over how fucking great he was. Plus he wasn't a shallow piece of shit.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #586 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:43 »

i wrote up my post then i realized that there might still be people in the world that don't know the ending of HP or the twilight series, so be aware there are spoilers in my post. yeah.

i like harry potter better than twilight because j.k. rowling didn't give up on her climactic battle scenes and she wasn't afraid to kill off her characters when characters needed killing. who died in HP? harry's parents, sirius, dumbledore, moody, hedwig, lupin and tonks (yes? been a while since i read them), and more that i know i'm missing. in twilight? um.... harry clearwater? irina... but nobody liked her anyway.

HP:OotP, huge fight in the department of mysteries, sirius dies. in eclipse, meyer takes the main characters away from the main fight and we read about it through edward's translation of seth's thoughts while bella whines about shit, shit gets real for maybe 5 pages and jacob gets injured but of course his superwolf powers save him. lame. the final battle in HP:DH was epic compared to the oh, she's not a dangerous baby after all, i guess we'll mind stab at you for a while until we realize that bella is supernewvampire then we'll give up and go home and give you everything you've always dreamed of. what the hell. harry potter's life was hard. he had bad guys after him all the damn time. bella had bad guys after her and all that happened to her was her leg got smashed and she became immortal.

seriously. there is no comparison to be made between HP and twilight.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 11:52 by yelley »
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #587 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:44 »

I've never read any of the books, but I'm also under the impression that bad things actually happened to Harry from time to time. Like friends and mentors were lost, he's an orphan and when he runs into ancient mysterious creatures they aren't sparkly and want to bone him.

EDIT
Ninjaed by Yelley!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #588 on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:54 »

i cheated though... i accidentally posted before i had finished ranting and had to go back and edit. ^_^

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #589 on: 11 Jan 2009, 19:28 »

Because ultimately only fucking assholes legitimately hate on what other people do in there spare time.  Naturally provide it isnt shaking babies or kicking dogs.

Its ok to gently chide people but to really hate on them and genuinely insult them is beyond prickish.  Seriously when I was 17 I used to care what other people did and be an asshole about it, then I grew up and realized theres 'different strokes for different folks' and not everyone is going to live up to the ideal I expect of them (let alone myself).

We weren't berating or insulting her about it. We were teasing.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #590 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:14 »

I have heard Twighlight described as "Mills and boon for upset teenagers"... I am actually curious to see how far it is true for the books (went and saw the movie in order to MST it, was worth it).
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #591 on: 12 Jan 2009, 15:02 »

The hardcover books are worth $20+ in the local Barnes and Noble.  This didn't stop a little preteen in a 'juicy' shirt from coercing her mom into buying two of them for her anyway, after some half hearted lies ("I thought they were on sale"  "I didn't see the 1 in front of the 9.99") and threatening to cry.

Wyr

« Reply #592 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:46 »

Haven't read it, haven't seen the movie, still feel fully within my rights to mock my girlfriend for her love of it. Along with half the rest of the female population in my city.
Dunno about yours.
Why am I so secure in my mockage?
Vampires in the daylight. 'Nuff said.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #593 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:26 »

Jens, embrace the sparkle. We did.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #594 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:32 »

Hurrr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #595 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:35 »

Man, I've come so close to making an Edward Cullen gag account so many times now. I'm just afraid I wouldn't be funny enough.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #596 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:37 »

Edward Cullen isn't really known for his sense of humor, so I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Nodaisho

« Reply #597 on: 22 Jan 2009, 20:24 »

Alex, if you don't, I might have to. I would be even less funny than you.

Zingoleb

« Reply #598 on: 26 Jan 2009, 15:09 »

The series makes me sad as I'm named Edward. When people (mostly girls younger than me) find this out, they're all like, "OMG U MEEN LIEK EDWARD CULLEN I LUV U" and it gets really old, really fast.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #599 on: 26 Jan 2009, 15:39 »

My mother almost named her new chihuahua pup Bella before she remembered the series and dodged the bullet.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up