THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Jun 2024, 01:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Jan 12-16  (Read 47598 times)

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCT Jan 12-16
« Reply #150 on: 15 Jan 2009, 05:44 »

...Border, that just gave me the mental image of Sven and Faye as a married couple and I have to say it made me very sad. Like watching a kitten get curb stomped.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #151 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:29 »

I would've been more impressed had Penny referred to Helen of Sparta. As-is, Faye wins this round.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #152 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:49 »

Well imo Faye and Sven balance each other out pretty well in terms of being a bitch/dick (which has nothing to do with their relationship being well balanced, mind you :-D). No reason to single one of them out in this regard.
(I'm more on Sven's side though - Bros before Hoes, man.)

In any way I enjoy the show. \o/
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #153 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:59 »

@stevh11 - Except he said he would be into her "if Wil didn't have dibs" He stated specifically that since she is involved with his friend he is NOT interested.  So how is he a cad in this situation?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

nonsignor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #154 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:07 »

Jeph man, this is all round awesome charterer development right here this week!

I'm loving it like a good ale on lees.

To hell with next week, the average remains exceptional!
Check your weapons at the door, Be sure to pay your quarter,
Burn your leather on the floor, Grab anybody's daughter.

Conco

« Reply #155 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:14 »

Personally I think both Sven and Faye wouldn't mind being in a relationship together, Sven can see that Faye gets a bit jealous so he is just winding her up waiting for her actual outburst of saying she wants it to be exclusive.

Either that happens or Faye decides she's still not ready for a proper relationship.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #156 on: 15 Jan 2009, 08:32 »

I have to say that the thing that strikes me the most is how clinical Sven is being about it. Penelope is probably more non-plussed than she'd be if he was just flat-out trying to flirt because he's coming at it from such an odd angle. (From Faye's standpoint it probably doesn't make much of a difference.)

I'm not going to say whether Sven's being a jerk or not. He's just being strange.

LynxDaemon19

« Reply #157 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:01 »

@stevh11 - Except he said he would be into her "if Wil didn't have dibs" He stated specifically that since she is involved with his friend he is NOT interested.  So how is he a cad in this situation?

Um, because he's getting all up in Penelope's face analyzing her physical attractiveness out loud?  Forget Faye entirely for a moment; you can't just do anything you want, hitting on girls obnoxiously like that, and expect it to make it all gentlemanly by adding a "hey, I won't really *do* anything" at the end.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #158 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:00 »

Man, I didn't think I'd say this, but I almost want to see Angus again  :-P
I did think I'd say it, but I'm glad someone else has beat me to it.

Although it occurs to me that if Jeph really wanted give Faye's detractors a Roman Holiday, he'd have Faye meet Angus on the street--along with Angus's nice new girlfriend.

I'd also like to point out what a lovely brother Sven must make if this is how he behaves when he thinks he's got the upper hand.

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 10:03 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

masquerade

« Reply #159 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:39 »

Remember, kids, we did have a time jump of 3-6 months. Which is a sizeable amount of time to still be just fuck buddies. The nature of their relationship may have changed -- maybe it is exclusive. Then again, maybe a stop has been put to the messing around, and Faye doesn't want to see another girl messed with?

Honestly, we don't know the context here, so it's very difficult to pass judgment without knowing what's taken place during the time jump.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #160 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:19 »

The hell?  How is Sven a jackass??

They don't have an exclusive relationship.  They don't even have a relationship, period--at Faye's insistence, not his.  Sven can flirt with anyone he wants.

Faye would be the asshole for getting all possessive when she's the one insisting on it being what it is.  She can't have her cake and eat it too.

quoted for complete truth.

Faye's already said she doesnt want a relationship, therefore Sven's a free agent(and having said that, have we seen him doing anything much at all since he hooked up with Faye anyway..?) If anything he's forcing her hand by not letting her have her own way; if she wants to be exclusive with him then she's going to have to acknowledge that and trust him, otherwise he's not interested.

If anything, Sven is pushing her in the only way that'll ever loosen her up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #161 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:38 »

That's true enough. I think Sven and Faye suit each other and that Sven has come to realize that and is pushing Faye into accepting the fact in the only way he knows how.  It may be, in the long term they may not work out, but I think that they will more likely wind up in their version of the Marten/Dora relationship.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

AnkhWL

• Plantmonster
« Reply #162 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:06 »

I have to agree with masquerade; we don't really know what happened in those 3-4 months of the time jump. I have a feeling that Faye's remark may be the basis for tomorrow's comic (and I could be totally wrong, but I could see Jeph doing that).

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #163 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:33 »

I could be dead wrong, but I'm not really expecting a huge change from this unknown time lapse. if there was a huge plot element to be done wouldnt Jeph have built up to it and shown it? the feeling i'm getting is that the story's been moved on to advance the characters, both in their arcs (Anyone see Marten + Dora issues coming up?) and in their appearance (Dora's hair, etc)

Selunei

« Reply #164 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:12 »

Here's something I've been wondering for a while: does Hanners still smoke?

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #165 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:25 »

No, she's said that she gave up smoking. I don't remember the exact comic, but it's the same one where Dora offers her two hundred bucks for cookies.

Selunei

« Reply #166 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:38 »

Hmm...I must've missed that...time for me to scour the archives then XD

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #167 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:49 »

...Border, that just gave me the mental image of Sven and Faye as a married couple and I have to say it made me very sad. Like watching a kitten get curb stomped.

But isn't kitten curb stomping supposed to be fun?
Help bring back the dragons!

altered_carbon

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #168 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:57 »

I like Faye's collar/sweater combo.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #169 on: 15 Jan 2009, 18:14 »

In the sense that "if Wil didn't have dibs" translates directly to "hey I'm blatantly hitting on you, but pretend I'm not hitting on you because I don't want to have to acknowledge what a total douchebag I am."

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #170 on: 15 Jan 2009, 18:46 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Selunei

« Reply #171 on: 15 Jan 2009, 19:05 »

Ha!  I remember now lol.  Yeah, trying to read through random strips took too long, and I got distracted by rereading a bunch of old ones anyway :-P

Mojo

« Reply #172 on: 15 Jan 2009, 19:22 »

For those considering Sven to be a cad, consider that he hates coffee.

(Evidence: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=328)

Thus, he must have another reason to be there, such as to see Faye, perhaps?

hanalways

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #173 on: 15 Jan 2009, 19:42 »

Eh, in all honesty. Yes I think Sven is being an ass. Just because your in an open relationship doesn't mean you don't have to have tact.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #174 on: 15 Jan 2009, 19:43 »

Ha!  I remember now lol.  Yeah, trying to read through random strips took too long, and I got distracted by rereading a bunch of old ones anyway :-P

I totally understand the "getting distracted by rereading old strips", but I do keep a database (pretty well imperfectly) of the old strips, so I can find some stuff fairly quickly. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Goddess

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #175 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:13 »

I agree with the people who think Sven and Faye are good for each other. They both throw each other off balance and ever since the walked out on him the day by saying that it shouldn't happen again he's hanging around, when there's clearly been a history of him jumping aorund other girls prior to sleeping with Faye.

I think he would be actively flirting with Penny if he weren't so interested in faye, but he doesn't understand how he feels which is why he can be nothing but clinical about noticing Penny being attractive. I also think he's doing it because it'll get Faye angry and I think he gets a kick out of making Faye angry because he can't deal with her any other way. Anger is easy to deal with, because you can walk away blameless, but when it comes to squishy feelings, no one walks away blameless.

To summarise... Sven is confused...

Sorry, I could have just said that in the first place.

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #176 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:24 »

He has gotten coffee from them before, and has said that his coffee would kick the ass of CoD coffee.

It is just a plot hole, don't think much about it.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Mojo

« Reply #177 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:59 »

I thought that was the point of the forums...  To overthink everything (something I am EMINENTLY qualified for)....

:wink:

Heavyoak

• Furry furrier
  • I ♥ Hannelore
    • Heavyoak's random web stuff
« Reply #178 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:35 »

dont worry heavyoak i still think youre creepy.

also... i shouldntve said plastic surgery i shouldve said cosmetic surgery. i agree reconstructive surgery is more than fine.

thanks.

Hee. Heehee. I am trying desperately to stay out of the ship-to-ship warfare going on in these parts. But blanket-Hanners in panel 3 today looks adorable.

And hooray for terrible pun punchline. Does that count as a pun? It does, right?

That is an epic hivemind. Exactly the points I came on to make. Blanket Hanners made me audibly D'AWWWW.

yes epic hive mind.  also, HANNERS IS NOW THE CUTEST INTERNET GIRL EVER!!!!

kgbisouttogetme

• Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #179 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:36 »

big build up for a mediocre joke. meh....
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #180 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:46 »

I can't wait until you people run into these situations that you're arguing about now, in real life later.
You will be so prepared.

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #181 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:53 »

I can't wait until you people run into these situations that you're arguing about now, in real life later.
You will be so prepared.

i dont think heavyoak is ever going to run into hannelore on the street........
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #182 on: 15 Jan 2009, 23:05 »

Are you kidding? He already has the cardboard cutout and everything. He's planning it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #183 on: 15 Jan 2009, 23:07 »

Methinks Sven just enjoys poking the bear.

Methinks that too.  And I enjoy watching Sven poke the bear.  Bear deserves it.

Faye would be the asshole for getting all possessive when she's the one insisting on it being what it is.  She can't have her cake and eat it too.

And she deserves every little frustration Sven can visit upon her for being the raving bitch she is.  I just did a happy dance.

Um, because he's getting all up in Penelope's face analyzing her physical attractiveness out loud?  Forget Faye entirely for a moment; you can't just do anything you want, hitting on girls obnoxiously like that, and expect it to make it all gentlemanly by adding a "hey, I won't really *do* anything" at the end.

Too bad.  Sven's an asshole and he jerked the chain and got the reaction he wanted.

I've got a big bottle of Boo Fricken Hoo for Faye, but you know what? I'm gonna drink it instead and give her the empty bottle, because that's all she deserves.

Although it occurs to me that if Jeph really wanted give Faye's detractors a Roman Holiday, he'd have Faye meet Angus on the street--along with Angus's nice new girlfriend.

Stop it.  I don't have a bottle of Cognac yet with which to celebrate that blessed event.

Soon, though.

Or to deliberately flirt with Penelope in order to jerk Faye's chain.

Methinks he likes poking the bear.  Oh wait...someone else said that already.

I think he would be actively flirting with Penny if he weren't so interested in faye, but he doesn't understand how he feels which is why he can be nothing but clinical about noticing Penny being attractive.

I read the strip recently the last time he flirted with Penny, and he said, "I can't help it, I don't know what to do around beautiful, intelligent girls..."

It really was a hilarious strip, because the harder he tried NOT to flirt, the harder he flirted.

I already have.  That's why I'm taking such joy in Sven's psychological manipulation of Faye.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now, off to buy some Cognac just in case Jeph decides to have Faye meet up with Angus McPhee and his new girlfriend, who looks and acts a lot like Faye, only with a tenderness and obvious adoration for Angus, so much so that Faye could easily see herself in that position, and she gets to angst about it.

I would SO drink a snifter of Cognac in celebration of that strip.

Thanks, Jeph!!

Woohoo!!

S
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 23:29 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #184 on: 15 Jan 2009, 23:08 »

Also a belated LOL at the possible interpretations of Sven "poking the bear".  :-D
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #185 on: 15 Jan 2009, 23:10 »

Are you kidding? He already has the cardboard cutout and everything. He's planning it.

i tip my hat to you sir. i literally just fell out of my seat laughing.  :laugh: hahahaha

Heavyoak

• Furry furrier
  • I ♥ Hannelore
« Reply #186 on: 15 Jan 2009, 23:37 »

You will be so prepared.

i dont think heavyoak is ever going to run into hannelore on the street........

I may just, who knows.

HOW DO YOU KNOW MY PLANS... J/K

no I don't. and I wouldn't try to.

i tip my hat to you sir. i literally just fell out of my seat laughing.  :laugh: hahahaha
Yea that was funny. rofl

GravityAddict

« Reply #187 on: 16 Jan 2009, 00:26 »

Was anyone else distracted by "r escape jew" and desperately want to know what the rest of the sign says? Maybe it's just late....
O and hey all, been reading for a while, great stuff Jeph! Bed, Coffee, Work, night!

cory54321

• Not quite a lurker
  • ZING!
« Reply #188 on: 16 Jan 2009, 00:42 »

I was distracted by that adorable cat in the last panel.  :lol:

... I wonder where they're headed.
MWUAHAHAHAHA

Heavyoak

• Furry furrier
  • I ♥ Hannelore
« Reply #189 on: 16 Jan 2009, 00:46 »

Was anyone else distracted by "r escape jew" and desperately want to know what the rest of the sign says? Maybe it's just late....
O and hey all, been reading for a while, great stuff Jeph! Bed, Coffee, Work, night!

"are escape jewelry"

my best guess.

VicDor

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #190 on: 16 Jan 2009, 02:24 »

Houdini was an escape jew.
<Clever and funny quote>

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #191 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:02 »

He has gotten coffee from them before, and has said that his coffee would kick the ass of CoD coffee.

It is just a plot hole, don't think much about it.
Maybe he was on "meds" too.

[Faye hate]

Woohoo!!
Wow haha, someone's enjoying himself! :D

Why to the Bat-loft of course ((c) Rene Engström)

Also STOP AND GIEV KITTY SUM FOODS! D:
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 03:06 by Headwoünd »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #192 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:06 »

I was distracted by that adorable cat in the last panel.  :lol:

That cat tied with the joke. xD

I did notice that Faye's expression barely changed at all in the last three panels...

I wonder if the empty case had jewelry in it?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #193 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:16 »

I can't imagine that we're actually going to see any plot progression over this perceived x-months jump in time we've seen. I think it's better for everyone to just see it as a sudden change of weather and miracle hair growth until we actually see plot evidence of the time jump. So far the closest we have is Wil's postcard.

It's interesting to see how much the comic has changed. I remember a while back I'd find it a little annoying that Faye always seemed to come out on top in the QC world, usually through beatings. It's a real change to see her bumped down so far and is one of the areas I think there's been some really good writing.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #194 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:25 »

Well come on now, officer, someone was gonna do all this smack, so it might as well be me!
Hey! HEY! Lemme go! Get those handcuffs off! HEY!!!

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #195 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:25 »

Was anyone else distracted by "r escape jew" and desperately want to know what the rest of the sign says?

There's an upscale jewelry store in Northampton named Silverscape Designs, in a grand old Art Deco bank building that has windows something like that.

lisavilisa

• Plantmonster
« Reply #196 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:34 »

Does it look like Faye has angel wings in panel 2?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #197 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:42 »

Is it just me, or is there a cat panhandling in the last panel?

Either that, or it's stuffed and on sale. I can't tell which.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

DoubleJ

• Plantmonster
« Reply #198 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:46 »

Does it look like Faye has angel wings in panel 2?
Yeah, a little. Though it does make me wonder why [Silve?]r Escape Jewelry hangs its display wares on an old ribcage. Maybe it's just really frickin' metal in there.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #199 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:22 »

could also be the pectoral fin of a manatee.. hmmm...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up