THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 May 2024, 00:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh, Sven ...  (Read 100277 times)

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
Re: Oh, Sven ...
« Reply #200 on: 21 Feb 2009, 05:05 »

Quote from: The_Bartender
there is hardly an author I can think of whose story telling ability didn't improve with time. 

Smeyer? *ducks and runs*

I am not getting involved in the wankery. I love the comic and I am part of the aforementioned "new" audience.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 05:13 by plethora »

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #201 on: 21 Feb 2009, 07:35 »

I've read through the entire comic series and can't seem to figure out what the steve-crush is all about.  I must be missing something.
You and me both. Steve's okay, and he was part of one of my favorite guest strips (when he was trapped in a closet for weeks), but Steve, he's just zis guy, you know?

It's the fucking sideburns, dude. Those are HOT

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #202 on: 21 Feb 2009, 08:30 »

I've read through the entire comic series and can't seem to figure out what the steve-crush is all about.  I must be missing something.

In my case, it's because my name is Steve and I also have wicked sideburns.

Also, Steve is less annoying than most of the rest of the cast.

The_Bartender

« Reply #203 on: 21 Feb 2009, 09:51 »

Quote from: The_Bartender
there is hardly an author I can think of whose story telling ability didn't improve with time. 

Smeyer? *ducks and runs*

I am not getting involved in the wankery. I love the comic and I am part of the aforementioned "new" audience.

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I did add "hardly" to that statement.  The debate is subjective, but there are a few authors I'm sure we could drag out who have either plateaued or could be argued to have regressed.  But they are rare, and most don't make it to the top of the pile, anyway. 

Also agree witht he idea of Sven becoming a more likeable character, although maybe not my favorite.  The last few strips show development; he may have screwed up (hm, literally) but now he has regrets.  This increases my desire to keep reading and see what happens.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #204 on: 21 Feb 2009, 11:01 »

You know, it just occurred to me that just because someone is likable doesn't mean they are good.

Sven seems likable but not very good. Faye seems good but not very likable.
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

Mallli_kite

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #205 on: 21 Feb 2009, 11:36 »

Likable scoundrels are a staple of fiction.  There are even a few villains that are likable, at least on the surface.

If it wasn't true, con men and comedians would have a hard time of it :D
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

The_Bartender

« Reply #206 on: 21 Feb 2009, 18:08 »

You know, it just occurred to me that just because someone is likable doesn't mean they are good.

Sven seems likable but not very good. Faye seems good but not very likable.

Good point, and my description of Sven goes along.  The apparent character development makes him more interesting and likable.  But he's still not the kind of person in reality that I would want to be around much.  He might make life entertaining at times, but the negatives would be a problem.  Sven reminds me a little of a buddy of mine.  He was quite a womanizer in our younger days, and I occasionally felt uncomfortable around his girlfriends, because I KNEW their wasn't going to be much of a long term relationship. 
But he eventually changed.  He's been married for almost 15 years and has a great wife and two adorable daughters.  That last fact does make me believe a little in karma!

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #207 on: 22 Feb 2009, 00:15 »

Dear that entire quote tunnel:

You suck.

<3,

me
I think you suck more for giving a very uncreative response.
Really being mean for no reason isn't that amusing.

I'm going to print that out and stick it on my wall.

Then every morning I can wake up and see it and feel the special warm feeling that it makes me feel inside.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #208 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:38 »

Oh you guys are just so snarky.
Hate, rain on me

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #209 on: 22 Feb 2009, 13:12 »

Sven reminds me a little of a buddy of mine.  He was quite a womanizer in our younger days, and I occasionally felt uncomfortable around his girlfriends, because I KNEW their wasn't going to be much of a long term relationship. 
But he eventually changed.  He's been married for almost 15 years and has a great wife and two adorable daughters.  That last fact does make me believe a little in karma!
Unless two adorable daughters is your code for "tiny, horrid harpies-in-training that make his every breath a weariness," I'm not sure I understand how this development affirms karma. Wait, maybe you mean "sexy, brainless little tarts guaranteed to attract predators like himself." That's more like Sins of the Fathers, though. You know, 'til the, hell, I can't recall what generation, but it always seemed a bit excessive.

To me, karma for Sven is Faye finding someone else after he's realized 'this one' means something to him. I.E. Sven is the only one to suffer, at least long-term.

Or maybe not. I admit I don't really get karma, being neither Hindu not Buddhist.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2009, 13:15 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

The_Bartender

« Reply #210 on: 22 Feb 2009, 14:14 »

Sven reminds me a little of a buddy of mine.  He was quite a womanizer in our younger days, and I occasionally felt uncomfortable around his girlfriends, because I KNEW their wasn't going to be much of a long term relationship. 
Unless two adorable daughters is your code for "tiny, horrid harpies-in-training that make his every breath a weariness," I'm not sure I understand how this development affirms karma. Wait, maybe you mean "sexy, brainless little tarts guaranteed to attract predators like himself." That's more like Sins of the Fathers, though. You know, 'til the, hell, I can't recall what generation, but it always seemed a bit excessive.

To me, karma for Sven is Faye finding someone else after he's realized 'this one' means something to him. I.E. Sven is the only one to suffer, at least long-term.

Or maybe not. I admit I don't really get karma, being neither Hindu not Buddhist.

Eh, fate, karma, Sins of the Fathers.  Those of us who know him just consider it some form of those concepts that he had two daughters, and thus will probably have to spend a good part of his late middle age worrying about guys just like he was.

As for Sven and Faye, your idea has similar merit and amusement.  It would serve Sven right, and Faye deserves a shot at a decent stable relationship.  Given her issues, she will probably find her own ways to screw things up, but she still deserves the chance.

spinyhedgehog

« Reply #211 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:56 »

He could tear down the house, too.

I think I suggested that.
If he were to do that it would be a more mature reaction than his "God forbid I do what I want!" blather.

spinyhedgehog

« Reply #212 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:59 »

For the record, the "sigh" was me finally getting fed up with zerodrone/Jackie Blue and banning him.

The REASON I banned him is not that he is unhappy with the comic, or that he had criticism. It was that he had the sheer GALL to assume that he knew my motivations, state of mind, and feeling towards my own work. He put words in my mouth, he was a condescending prick, he's done it before and been warned, and I got sick of it, so he's gone.

This is MY website. I am literally spending MY hard-earned money so that YOU people have this place. If you don't respect that you WILL be gone.

I see no reason to tolerate the presence of those I find tiresome.

Oh no!
You ask for criticism by doing something abnormal in a strip, know that people will comment on it, and then flip out when you don't like what they're saying?
How adult of you good sir.
You don't seem to mind that people who support you seem to think they know your motivations and what you thought.
Be consistent.

I think one day jeph will just close the whole forum so then an unofficial fanforum will get set up which jeph will completly ignore until curiosity gets the better of him and it all ends up in a hideous lawsuit with him trying to put an injunction on the unofficial site.

Agreed.

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #213 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:32 »

Wow, finally read the whole thread, and just...wow.
Anywho, I love this comic, and I hope to make it to a con that Jeph is a guest at someday (He should totally go to Phoenix Comicon 2010)
As far as new/old audience motivations, I could give a crap about the indie music stuff, I started reading it because a friend of mine sent me a comic with a Dune reference in it.
Concerning the main topic, if Marten possessed the physical strength he should kick the crap out of Sven for hurting his friend. 

Also, wasn't Jackie Blue a chick?  Everyone keeps saying "him."  Weird.

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #214 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:56 »

I am also not a camera.  I am a llama.
I clicked on his view profile and it said female...I assume people are always truthful on the internet I suppose.

aichambaye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #215 on: 23 Feb 2009, 19:08 »

This is MY website. I am literally spending MY hard-earned money so that YOU people have this place. If you don't respect that you WILL be gone.

I see no reason to tolerate the presence of those I find tiresome.

Right the fuck on, man. Websites aren't democracies, people! They are at best oligarchies, and usually they are autocracies, and you/me/we don't have any damn rights here or on any other site except what The People In Charge of the sites choose to give us.

Lyrical

• Plantmonster
« Reply #216 on: 23 Feb 2009, 19:44 »

That's more like Sins of the Fathers, though. You know, 'til the, hell, I can't recall what generation, but it always seemed a bit excessive.
"The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." Numbers 13:18

Anyway, yeah, I think karma is more like if you do something to hurt other people, you'll get what you deserve.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #217 on: 23 Feb 2009, 19:58 »

"The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." Numbers 13:18

I'd be lying if I said I understood that.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #218 on: 23 Feb 2009, 22:45 »

Translation: G_d's merciful and patient, but if you think that just because He's merciful and patient He won't make you, your kids, your grandkids, and your great-grandkids pay for the bad things you do, guess again, boychick. So behave already.

Or at least that's my take on it.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2009, 22:47 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #219 on: 23 Feb 2009, 22:49 »

I always hated that bit. I can't help but interpret to mean he's mean as hell and not very trustworthy...Bad me, I know, but if you can't trust a god, who you gonna trust? And what's all that about visiting all that crap on my grandchildren? Hell, they didn't do anything wrong  :|  :x
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

Ravenswing

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City
« Reply #220 on: 23 Feb 2009, 23:37 »

Heh, hell with Sven having "growth."  Let's review:

1)  Sven's a womanizer who sleeps around;

2)  Seemingly, he always has;

3)  He makes no bones about it and doesn't lie about it;

4)  FAYE went after SVEN, not the other way around, knowing exactly who he was;

5)  There wasn't a single string attached to their relationship;

6)  He was upfront with her with who he was, she was upfront with what she'd tolerate, and they were both on the same page there;

7)  She didn't want any manner of relationship with him but just plain hooking up, and told people so; and

8)  He told her at the earliest possible moment he'd slept around.

How many people'd be calling him immature and a user if instead of being poly, he was a hockey player?  "Faye, I like playing hockey."  "Well, if I catch you around a hockey rink, I'm outta here."  "Umm, hey Faye, I played hockey last night."  "Then we're through."

Sorry, no sympathy for Faye here.  If you demand monogamy, don't hook up - and it WAS a hookup, nothing more - with someone who's openly, admittedly poly.  If you do anyway, then make sure you HAVE a committed relationship and you're on the same wavelength.  If you don't bother to do that, to the point you tell your friends that the SO's nothing more to you than the ongoing 11 PM booty call, then spare us the "it hurts so much." 
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

Zingoleb

« Reply #221 on: 24 Feb 2009, 00:29 »

How many people'd be calling him immature and a user if instead of being poly, he was a hockey player?  "Faye, I like playing hockey."  "Well, if I catch you around a hockey rink, I'm outta here."  "Umm, hey Faye, I played hockey last night."  "Then we're through."

Um, what?

Hockey =/= putting your penis inside of another person

aorta

« Reply #222 on: 24 Feb 2009, 00:41 »

Sorry, no sympathy for Faye here.  If you demand monogamy, don't hook up - and it WAS a hookup, nothing more - with someone who's openly, admittedly poly.  If you do anyway, then make sure you HAVE a committed relationship and you're on the same wavelength.  If you don't bother to do that, to the point you tell your friends that the SO's nothing more to you than the ongoing 11 PM booty call, then spare us the "it hurts so much." 

Haven't you ever heard of someone saying one thing but thinking the complete opposite?
With her issues she didn't even know that she could trust or even be with a man. But here comes Sven, who by some standards just lays his dick on the table so I assume she thought why not? And I think she really wanted everything just to be a booty call but, she has her issues and needed to open up and learn to be with someone. Obviously, she shouldn't have gotten involved with Sven like that. But with that process she started developing feelings for him. As one would by not being in a relationship in a long time and thinking that its something more than it really is. Which was Faye's fault, she kept telling herself it was nothing but by saying that over and over doesn't make it true.
But truthfully no matter whatever problems one may have, sex no matter how impersonal you try and make it, its where people see you most personally and you're at your most vunerable so its envitable that this whole plotline would go down this path for Faye.

lolwut

« Reply #223 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:13 »

Um, what?

the point is that the reasoning you're (those saying that sven is being a dick) using to justify saying that sven is a dick is logically unsound

srsly gaiz

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #224 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:29 »

Look at the comic; it's Sven that's started to realise he was being a dick - we don't have to prove it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #225 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:11 »

Sven is only thinking that because of a stupid social convention that apparently says that even if you're not monogamous, even if you've clearly stated that you're not monogamous, even if both parties involved have agreed that they're not monogamous, the guy is still a jerk if he fucks someone else. 

The girl... it depends.  Usually she gets a free pass because it was clear to everyone that the relationship was not monogamous.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Random832

« Reply #226 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:10 »

We don't see what he's thinking. He's thinking the situation is bad, which could very well be explicitly and exclusively due to the fact that he is losing Faye (who he's starting to develop feelings for)

SleeperCylon

« Reply #227 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:16 »

Sven was being a dick but it's hard to lump him in on the dickishness level of 'cheating boyfriend'.

Faye is the one who always insisted "We're not dating, we're just friends who happen to bump into each other once in a while.  With our crotches."  It's only the subtext of their relationship that places him in the wrong.

reverie

« Reply #228 on: 24 Feb 2009, 15:13 »

Just because she knew the terms of the relationship doesn't mean she can't feel upset when he does something she told him she'd be upset about. Generally, when people are sleeping together regularly, they feel something towards each other, especially when they also hang out sometimes rather than just getting busy. They don't have to be exclusive or in love to have a bond. I don't get where people got this idea that casual sex has to exist in an emotional vaccuum where you can't even give a shit about each other. Casual is casual, sure, but human beings still have feelings.

I mean, the fact that he has trouble enjoying sleeping with Gina and the fact that he feels sort of guilty about it afterwards proves that it's a two-way street. Even if what he did was technically okay, he knew it was going to upset Faye. Doing something you know will upset someone else is your right, but it is kinda a jerk thing to do.

Also, Sven's not poly. He just sleeps around. There is a difference.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 15:16 by reverie »

championofkhorne

« Reply #229 on: 24 Feb 2009, 15:18 »

im really surprised by the outrage.

this topic needs to be derailed so everyone stops taking it so seriously.

who is rooting for team USA in the WBC?

aorta

« Reply #230 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:04 »

Just because she knew the terms of the relationship doesn't mean she can't feel upset when he does something she told him she'd be upset about. Generally, when people are sleeping together regularly, they feel something towards each other, especially when they also hang out sometimes rather than just getting busy. They don't have to be exclusive or in love to have a bond. I don't get where people got this idea that casual sex has to exist in an emotional vaccuum where you can't even give a shit about each other. Casual is casual, sure, but human beings still have feelings.

I mean, the fact that he has trouble enjoying sleeping with Gina and the fact that he feels sort of guilty about it afterwards proves that it's a two-way street. Even if what he did was technically okay, he knew it was going to upset Faye. Doing something you know will upset someone else is your right, but it is kinda a jerk thing to do.

Exactly.

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #231 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:10 »

A Champion of Khorne suing for peace?  The blood god would not be pleased.  Pardon my ignorance, but what is the WBC?

Zingoleb

« Reply #232 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:26 »

Thank you.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #233 on: 24 Feb 2009, 19:22 »

A Champion of Khorne suing for peace?  The blood god would not be pleased.  Pardon my ignorance, but what is the WBC?
World Baseball Classic.
Keep a coolin' baby.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #234 on: 24 Feb 2009, 22:29 »

I have to. Home country and all. Though Japan is probably going to be tough to beat.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Ravenswing

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City
« Reply #235 on: 25 Feb 2009, 04:40 »

The word you might be looking for is "analogy."

Sven is only thinking that because of a stupid social convention that apparently says that even if you're not monogamous, even if you've clearly stated that you're not monogamous, even if both parties involved have agreed that they're not monogamous, the guy is still a jerk if he fucks someone else.
Yep, this is the whole last two weeks of angst in a nutshell.  If I was in Sven's shoes, this conversation with Dora'd be right when I got my mad on.  "I hurt her?  What, you think we started dating and holding hands and stuff, then took each other's virginity or something?  No.  She jumped me, knowing who and what I was.  She tells everyone we're not dating, but because she comes over a couple nights a week she suddenly owns me?  You go back and tell her to try being honest with the next guy, honest with her friends ... and freaking honest with herself."
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

nolonemo

« Reply #236 on: 25 Feb 2009, 08:37 »

I must have missed the strip where Sven made any promises to Faye or anyone else.  Let's see, Faye hooks up with Sven, develops feeling for him, and therefore Sven should change his behavior (which Faye knew about going in) so she won't get hurt?  Puhlease!  If anyone's a jerk, it's Faye for not being honest with herself and Sven about what was happening as the relationship developed.  This story line is fascinating, but it aggravates me that everyone is beating up on Sven because Faye is hurt.  He did nothing that Faye should not have expected.  Jesus, I'm posting to a forum about a comic strip.  I have got to get a grip! 

ProjektTHOR

« Reply #237 on: 25 Feb 2009, 09:18 »

Just curious if I'm the only person who thinks the following:

a) Faye got what was coming to her by deciding to get into a platonic, uncommitted relationship with a sexually promiscuous dude.
b) Faye being in that style of a relationship, but being infuriated at his conduct, is a huge double standard.
c) Sven's validation of that double-standard by feeling guilt is awful and sets a terrible example.

Basically, its ridiculous that Faye should demand to be treated as if she is in a monogamous relationship, while putting herself in a situation that excludes such exclusivity.  The fact she QQs about it is pretty typical of womenfolk insofar as you commonly see some women demanding equality on one hand, but still demanding that doors be held open or dates paid for.

Hopefully this isn't what Jeph advocates in real life, or else we know who wears the pants in their relationship.

Anyway, serious argument is serious.

Edit: Also, great to see I'm not the only forum newfag who thinks this.

TL;DR: If ya liked it then ya shoulda put a ring on it, Faye =O
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 09:29 by ProjektTHOR »

deuxmind

• Not quite a lurker
  • lol magic.
    • My Arts
« Reply #238 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:20 »

Thank you.

I second that.  I am /in/ a poly relationship and Faye and Sven's relationship is not so.  It wasn't any sort of official thing but I know where Faye is coming from.  It hurts.  It's not that complicated.
“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.”

Random832

« Reply #239 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:25 »

Hopefully this isn't what Jeph advocates in real life, or else we know who wears the pants in their relationship.

I think this is out of line - do you think he endorses everything Pintsize says, too? He hasn't noticeably painted any of his characters with the "this character's views represent those of the author" brush.

jedraft

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #240 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:40 »

Sorry.  No sympathy for Faye.  It's one of those "get a helmet" moments that life hands you.  And the unbelievable double-standard is absurd.

Prominent Internet Figure

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #241 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:43 »

I am VERY concerned with what Jeph does and does not advocate.

Srsly.

If he enjoys pickled asparagus and promotes it's use I quit teh comic.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #242 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:43 »

Just curious if I'm the only person who thinks the following:

a) Faye got what was coming to her by deciding to get into a platonic, uncommitted relationship with a sexually promiscuous dude.
You do realize that "platonic" means idealized and metaphysical, right?  And that when used in reference to relationships it means nonsexual?  Their relationship is the total opposite of platonic.
Keep a coolin' baby.

ProjektTHOR

« Reply #243 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:51 »

I think this is out of line - do you think he endorses everything Pintsize says, too? He hasn't noticeably painted any of his characters with the "this character's views represent those of the author" brush.
I think this is out of line - do you think I endorse everything Jeph writes about? I haven't noticeably written with the "everything this forum in this forum is opinion taken as fact"-pencil.

My point is that, regardless of whether or not he endorses anything he writes about, it sets a pretty terrible example on gender relations.  You can be a major screenplay writer, novelist, or journalist and the words you write might not be what you believe, but they still can be endorsed by others.

Not only that, but you're deciding to ignore my question so that you can win some internet tuff guy argument.  A++

To above post, thanks for clarifying, but you're still doing the same thing: Dodging the argument I put forth so you can seem like some Internet Proofreader.  Perhaps, maybe, by chance, something of substance can be discussed =X
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 10:54 by ProjektTHOR »

Random832

« Reply #244 on: 25 Feb 2009, 11:53 »

I think this is out of line - do you think I endorse everything Jeph writes about? I haven't noticeably written with the "everything this forum in this forum is opinion taken as fact"-pencil.

My point is that, regardless of whether or not he endorses anything he writes about, it sets a pretty terrible example on gender relations.  You can be a major screenplay writer, novelist, or journalist and the words you write might not be what you believe, but they still can be endorsed by others.

The line you crossed was in speculating on Jeph's personal life.

But anyway, you're right in that that's beside the point. My point is that there's a very big difference between saying "this is how things should be" and "this exists" - and unless you're going to say that no-one has a double standard like that in real life, "this exists" is not at all wrong. The QC characters are all too messed up in various ways for me to believe that they're being held up as some sort of ideal of perfection that people should aspire to be like. They're just ordinary people with ordinary problems [well, except Pintsize. And Hannelore maybe.], that's one of the great things about this comic.

Anyway, panel 5 seems to confirm that this is not as simple as an author saying "HURRR SVEN IS TOTALLY IN THE WRONG HERE" - there's shades of gray.

(edit: i hate when i hit quote instead of edit)
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 13:06 by Random832 »

ProjektTHOR

« Reply #245 on: 25 Feb 2009, 12:40 »

Oh noes I crossed a line on the internet.

World ending.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #246 on: 25 Feb 2009, 12:49 »

I sort of agree with you about this whole thing, mostly I just like my Schadenfreude a little too much and enjoy pointing out the shortcomings of others (I'm joking... sort of).
Keep a coolin' baby.

aorta

« Reply #247 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:12 »

c) Sven's validation of that double-standard by feeling guilt is awful and sets a terrible example.

Basically, its ridiculous that Faye should demand to be treated as if she is in a monogamous relationship, while putting herself in a situation that excludes such exclusivity.  The fact she QQs about it is pretty typical of womenfolk insofar as you commonly see some women demanding equality on one hand, but still demanding that doors be held open or dates paid for.

He feels guilt frankly because he was starting to feel something more for Faye than just a good time. If he wanted just a good time he would have enjoyed getting some from Gina Riversmith. But don't act like Faye was the only one actually feeling something, and she didn't demand anything from Sven. She said what it was even though she was starting to develop more feelings for Sven and told him straight up that it would end if he went with someone else. She was just hoping on some miniscule scale that Sven would become more important to her, which is something most women like to "try" and change a man. And even for just a booty call you should know where that dick has been and seeing as Faye hasn't been in a "friends with benefits" relationship or even a normal relationship at all so why shouldn't it hit a little bit closer emotionally? Because sex makes you vunerable and with her problems what did you expect?
So she vents her own stupidity whats so wrong with that?(Perhaps at the wrong party but she knows really whose fault it is, by saying shes angry at gina or Sven she comes down to it she knows its her fault for getting into the situation in the first place)

I despise all the people on here that they say they give no sympathy to Faye like shes a total monster! You try handling your own father blow his head in front of you and see how you turn out....so yeah she can be a bitch sometimes....but frankly most of the people on the forums are a bunch of creepy bitches too and if by any off chance this would develop into "real life" and any of you get into this situation....I would still give you sympathy.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 13:18 by aorta »

ProjektTHOR

« Reply #248 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:30 »

Because when my dad shoots himself in the face, my life culminates in getting mad when I sleep with a playboy and he ends up laying it to someone else.

It has nothing to do with thinking she's a monster, it has to do with the fact that she's being defended and sympathized for making an awful decision with a decidedly awful person (morally).  This is quite obviously only my personal opinion of this (and other) scenarios along these lines, but I can't spare a lot of sympathy for someone who makes such a miserable decision.  You might be able to, and all the power to you, but I can't.

aorta

« Reply #249 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:54 »

Because when my dad shoots himself in the face, my life culminates in getting mad when I sleep with a playboy and he ends up laying it to someone else.

It has nothing to do with thinking she's a monster, it has to do with the fact that she's being defended and sympathized for making an awful decision with a decidedly awful person (morally).  This is quite obviously only my personal opinion of this (and other) scenarios along these lines, but I can't spare a lot of sympathy for someone who makes such a miserable decision.  You might be able to, and all the power to you, but I can't.

Seeing her dad shoot himself in the face actually culminates in life long...self-loathing like wondering what she could have done to prevent it...or self-doubt wondering what could have been...life long being closed mouth about her feelings...and life long not knowing whether she could be in a relationship with a man or being able to trust again

And I think most right out expressed their "Uh oh Faye shouldn't be doing this" right when Faye slept with Sven the first time and its obvious she shouldn't have done and a lot of people have said it was stupid. But really people do stupid things whether they realize or not and sometimes its just not the right idea to take the whole shitload of a mess they put themselves in and rub their faces in it.
Especially not to emotionally unstable people. Would you say to a person clinging to the very edge you deserve everything you got and youre a fucking moron so HA HA? And leave them to wallow and do god knows what?
Even though it can be hard to agree sometimes its better to just see that feelings are involved and that granted in the same situation how would you want people to treat you and react to your situation?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up