THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 452299 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Re: University/College
« Reply #1700 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:09 »

When's the introduction? If you're lucky, you can visit the Student office beforehand.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1701 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:17 »

I'm at the KIT, but the TH is now part of the KIT. I've already received three letters from the University, so I doubt that they got my address wrong. The Student office opens half an hour before the introduction starts, but usually the queues are so long that you have to wait for at least half an hour. And I also need 15 minutes to walk to the place where the event takes place.

I told my mother to open any letter from the university directed at me, so she'd send me my Immatrikulationsnummer as soon as it arrives. I also need to tell the university that my address has changed. At least I was at the local town hall today, so at least the state knows my new address. I'm now an official inhabitant of Karlsruhe. But not of Kiel anymore, which makes me sad.

And regarding semester tickets: Here in Karlsruhe you have to pay another 130€ for that. Otherwise you are only allowed to use public transport during not-rush-hours, read from 19:00 until 08:00.

I'm afraid I'll have to buy myself a 4-day ticket, so I can at least take part in the introduction week. Another 20€ down the drain.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1702 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:21 »

So, question to y'all. Do you normally sit in the same place every class? Or a different place per class? Or just wherever? If to do have a usual spot, where?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1703 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:26 »

In order to answer these questions, I'd have to actually attend classes

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1704 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:39 »

So, question to y'all. Do you normally sit in the same place every class? Or a different place per class? Or just wherever? If to do have a usual spot, where?

Really depended on the class for me. Some of them were such full rooms that we all had our typical haunts.

Emptier rooms, particularly if my mates weren't around, I'd sit wherever I felt like... especially if I was late.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1705 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:50 »

Nope, not at all. I sit down wherever.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1706 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:02 »

I usually shoot for the same seat, sometimes its taken sometimes not. Everyone else in my classes seem to gravitate toward the same seats after the first couple weeks too.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1707 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:16 »

I'm happy to sit wherever but people in my class usually stick to the same seats. It's partially because some computers run better and the people who arrive earlier get first picks. It's usually the same people who arrive early. Then after a couple weeks of having to take the same seat I get irrationally attached and annoyed if someone else sits there.

It used to always be the same seat for Mac suites because they aren't connected to the server so people had their work saved on individual machines and it took some people way too long to think of portable storage.

mtmerrick

« Reply #1708 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:41 »

Two things about computers here:
-i have no classes with computers in the classroom this semester
-every campus computer gets automatically reimaged every night

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1709 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:48 »

We have our own accounts and server storage that's available on every machine throughout the campus. But they have a horrible Linux interface on 'em.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1710 on: 11 Oct 2013, 01:54 »

In order to answer these questions, I'd have to actually attend classes
Same here. It bites me in the ass every time exams come around, but I still pull the same crap every semester. I attend classes for maybe the first 2 weeks and then I grow tired of listening to the profs.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1711 on: 11 Oct 2013, 07:41 »

Attendance isn't mandatory?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1712 on: 11 Oct 2013, 07:47 »

Not here it isn't

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1713 on: 11 Oct 2013, 08:22 »

And my student ID arrived today. At home. Well. At least now I know my "Matrikelnummer". Next problem: I don't have a printer. Gaah. I hate running to copy shops. They are so far away…
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1714 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:36 »

Typical exchange between me when I was a student ambassador and visiting sixth formers:
'Is it true that you don't even have to go to lessons if you don't want to?'
'In almost all cases yes, although I've personally had some modules in which attendance and contribution to discussion makes up a percentage of your mark. You're not going to be chased up for assignments and attendance here like you are at school or college, but the fun part about that is that you'll just not learn anything and fail instead, which has happened to several people I know.'

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1715 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:28 »

It's homecoming.

This is my reaction:

mtmerrick

« Reply #1716 on: 12 Oct 2013, 17:14 »

Where in the world do you have homecoming at college/uni?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1717 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:07 »

I still don't even know what homecoming is.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1718 on: 13 Oct 2013, 04:14 »

Wiki tells me it's sort of like fresher's week? Only more sober and there are sporting events and a crowning of a Homecoming king and queen, and maybe parades..? Okay maybe not more sober, but wiki doesn't say much about it. I doubt people get through a day of this without a drink or five though.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1719 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:11 »

Introduction week starts tomorrow. Nervous.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1720 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:31 »

No worries ankh, intro week is mostly about meeting people and drinking. It's quite fun, actually.

Only thing I have tomorrow are two lectures. That's manageable, but my motivation is practically non-existent. At least they don't start before 12, so I get to sleep in.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1721 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:34 »

mostly about meeting people

That's what I'm nervous about.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1722 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:38 »

It helps to assume that everyone else is just as nervous as you are, maybe even more.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1723 on: 13 Oct 2013, 13:39 »

I was too, 3 years ago. I didn't know how to approach anyone or strike up a conversation. The funny thing is, even so I met the people I still hang out with all the time, most of which have become great friends. Just remember this: Most of the people there are gonna be just as nervous as you are. Try to relax and be open, and everything will develop by itself.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1724 on: 13 Oct 2013, 16:59 »

I haven't made any friends in university. I'm in my 3rd year. Probably doesn't help that I'm going to community college and also have friends outside school and also don't drink.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1725 on: 13 Oct 2013, 19:26 »

All my friends are fellow theatre majors. I've actually been talked to by my RA this year and last about how I don't seem to socialize with people in my dorm. But that's mostly because I'm never in it during the day.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #1726 on: 13 Oct 2013, 19:51 »

Homecoming is celebrated at highschools and colleges in the US. They're both kind of different things, but both have a big football game and a dance.

In highschool it is a mostly student-centered event. The dance is only for current highscool students and is usually the only dance of the fall semester. It is less formal than a prom, but still a fairly big deal. Some highschools have themed dress up days in the week leading up to homecoming; school spirit day, 80's day, zombie day, etc...

In college (at least this is what it was like when I went to college) Homecoming weekend is an alumni centered event focused on inviting former students to visit the campus and see how their tuition money and subsequent donations are spent. There are a lot of small department gatherings, tours of the campus, and fraternities usually have private events. There is the football game, and sometimes the school organizes a dance, although not many people go.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1727 on: 13 Oct 2013, 23:36 »

The fuck. I'm an hour early at university, and wanted to buy a student tram ticket, and there is some strange homeless person sitting in the cafeteria building. Dude is completely wrapped in saran wrap over his clothes. As in from head to toe.

He apparently just chills there. Nobody seems to care.

Metope

« Reply #1728 on: 14 Oct 2013, 02:59 »

Welcome to university!

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1729 on: 14 Oct 2013, 04:28 »

Do they have an art department at your uni?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1730 on: 14 Oct 2013, 04:59 »

Welcome to university!
I was going to say EXACTLY THE SAME.

...of course I am too late at my first day of the semester and don't find any room in the lecture hall.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1731 on: 14 Oct 2013, 06:25 »

My course assignments on consciousness are now covering the neuroscientific subjects instead of purely psychological experiments, which is more my area of expertise. It does wonders for my self-esteem to read the disjointed, inaccurate and misinterpreted answers of my fellow students.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1732 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:18 »

Homecoming is celebrated at highschools and colleges in the US. They're both kind of different things, but both have a big football game and a dance.

In highschool it is a mostly student-centered event. The dance is only for current highscool students and is usually the only dance of the fall semester. It is less formal than a prom, but still a fairly big deal. Some highschools have themed dress up days in the week leading up to homecoming; school spirit day, 80's day, zombie day, etc...

In college (at least this is what it was like when I went to college) Homecoming weekend is an alumni centered event focused on inviting former students to visit the campus and see how their tuition money and subsequent donations are spent. There are a lot of small department gatherings, tours of the campus, and fraternities usually have private events. There is the football game, and sometimes the school organizes a dance, although not many people go.

...I still have no idea what the term 'homecoming' means though?

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #1733 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:22 »

Originally it meant "former students are coming home to visit!"

At University it still pretty much means that. "Welcome back Alumni! Check out all of the cool stuff we've done with your money, now give us more money!"

No one really returns to their highschool, so homecoming has become just a student-centered thing there.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1734 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:40 »

I see  :psyduck:

mtmerrick

« Reply #1735 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:24 »

Well that explains it. Not very much college football around here.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1736 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:32 »

Do they have an art department at your uni?

Nope, it's the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. No art.

Today was exhausting. At first there was a big introduction event, where a Professor explained to us how elite, how rich, how good and how well known the university is. This was like one and a half hours long. He seemed very arrogant, and scared everybody with how much you need to work. He asked who had 15 points in mathematics in the Abitur (15 points is maximum. IIRC I had only 9). Half the people raised their hands. I got slightly worried. He stated ”Hmm, there were more last year.” He asked who had a 1.2 or better in the Abitur (1.0 is the best, and if you get a worse grade than 4.0 (normally here in Germany you have grades from 6 to 1, where 1 is the best) you'll fail). At least a fifth of the people raised their hands. Then he explained that there would be a change in the literature list, and we'd have to read the first chapter of a different book as a prerequisite for one course, as we'd get a different professor. I didn't receive a literature list and now really got scared. Somebody else stood up and asked, because he didn't receive a literature list either. The professor said something along the terms of ”It's your own fault if you fail to configure your student mail account”, which made me slightly angry, because I had just received the letter with my login data, and assumed the list would have been sent before the account was created. Anyway, he asked for somebody's copy, got one, and then listed about 5 books of which we'd have to read the first or the first two chapters until two weeks. He explained that when so many people didn't receive the list, then many wouldn't have received the invitation to take a self evaluation test. He had explained that in cooperation with another educational institute they'd now have a system where you can ”study in your own speed”, which would always lead to at least two additional semesters, and because so many people didn't take the voluntary self evaluation they'd now make a short mandatory test right after this introduction, and another after four weeks. The questions were really difficult, and I got really scared because not too few people around me seemed to be able to deal with them, at least to an extent, while I couldn't answer a single one. It started off with a bit of calculus, went on with matrices and another question which I couldn't even decide what topic it was, and ended with three on statistics. The first two were similar (about correlations between properties of new students) and the last one was ”This set of new students, how gullible are they?”.

Immediately people stormed to the front, and told us that the whole thing was almost completely bullshit. The ”professor” is not actually a professor, and then he asked all the second and third semester students to leave now. Almost everyone who was good at the questions or raised the hand on the questions for good Abiturs left. They had all been acting.

Some groups presented themselves, and we could decide which group to join. I decided for maybe the nerdiest of them, but it was a tough decision. I almost went for the group ”Arrrrrr!”, who presented themselves to Monkey Island's Scumm Bar theme, by reenacting a scene from Monkey Island. Basically ”My name is Guybrush Threepwood. I want to become a mighty student!”. Most other groups (a second being pirate themed, presenting themselves to the ”You are a pirate” song from Lazy Town, more commonly known as ”Limewire Song” or ”Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free”) were mostly about drinking and showing us the clubs in the city, which is not really my intention during introduction week at university.

So they showed us around on campus, and I slowly regretted choosing this group, because everybody was at least as shut in as I was, so even when I managed to talk to somebody, we only exchanged a few sentences and then went silent again. I don't think I've ever seen a group of thirty people be so quiet.

At the evening, after running around on campus for the whole day we had a small barbecue, and stood around. In the end I left at 10pm, as my legs fucking hurt, and some others were leaving as well. But as we were standing outside we finally talked a bit more, and it felt a lot better. But in this group I seemed to be the only guy who could talk to the only girl in the group without seeming in any way too much affected by her gender. She was either ignored when technical topics were discussed, or somebody made slightly sexist statements, most of them in the way of overly approving of her. I just talked to her just the same as to the others, and it was fine.

Now: tired.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1737 on: 14 Oct 2013, 15:00 »

That is at once the most awesome and horrifying hazing I've ever heard of.  The fact that is was done under with the approval of the university makes it even more so (for both reactions). 

There are classes I just wish I could have done something like this to. 

This grouping isn't a permanent thing, is it?  And be comforted in the knowledge that, having talked with the girl, you are now the envy of every other guy in the group.   Even if they are assholes. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Metope

« Reply #1738 on: 14 Oct 2013, 15:10 »

Haha wow, that's absolutely crazy, you poor people! That school sounds amazing though.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1739 on: 14 Oct 2013, 15:15 »

Actually the group isn't too bad. It just took a while to warm up. And these are the groups we will go through the introduction week with.

By the way, look at what I finally received when I arrived home:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1740 on: 14 Oct 2013, 15:17 »

wooo

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1741 on: 14 Oct 2013, 19:46 »

w00t!

After class tonight I had to ask the professor how to say "I'm calling the police" in Spanish, because that is a relevant and potentially necessary piece of knowledge in my life right now. In "other" news, hella drama at work today. :psyduck:
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1742 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:43 »

Ankh, your student ID is fancy. We just get a slightly hardened slip of paper. I'm kinda jealous now.

Also that hazing was both mean and totally awesome.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1743 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:10 »

Ankh, your student ID is fancy. We just get a slightly hardened slip of paper. I'm kinda jealous now.

Exactly this. I commend universities for trying to save money, but at least give me a decent ID that doesn't look FAKE AS FUCK

Metope

« Reply #1744 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:34 »

We have really nice ones too, but unfortunately there was something wrong with my original one (didn't work as an access key for buildings or library card as it's supposed to), so I had to get a new one and they just took a picture of me right there and then, on a day that had been very stressful and as a result I looked terrible. Stuck with it for four years, woo!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1745 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:36 »

Oxford keeps your photo digitised; they still renew my staff card with the photo they got ten years ago :)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1746 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:13 »

Oh that seems to be a common thing in universities. I feel like every professor in our university has profile pictures on their homepage that are taken in the nineties.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1747 on: 15 Oct 2013, 09:52 »

I read that as "taken in their nineties" first. 

Faculty's old.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1748 on: 16 Oct 2013, 04:31 »

Also that hazing was both mean and totally awesome.

Ours is a card but it's just a photo, our name, and the school's logo.

I need to get a new one, the laminate is starting to come apart because of the CONSTANT swiping. It's used it to enter your dorm, buy food from the dining hall and vending machines, check out books, do laundry, etc. Since I work on campus I also use it to clock in and out.

It now takes several swipes for my card to let me do any of those things, I just don't want to pay the $5 replacement fee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1749 on: 16 Oct 2013, 07:10 »

The card at the college I went to had a proximity sensor chip...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50   Go Up