THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 453764 times)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: University/College
« Reply #1900 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:50 »

I have no idea about stock with dairy or not, and I'm afraid I can't find out until I'm home which will be about the time you get there anyway (Dec. 18th). I could ask mom, but I don't trust her to know exactly what to look for. Jens might know though! About butter, there's always margarine, but I think there are other things too that I forget the name of. Healthy food shops and vegan/vegetarianism is finally taking off in Norway too so we can go to Oslo and have a look in shops!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1901 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:52 »

Margerine isn't even legal in the UK so I don't know what that is made of, but in my experience most butter substitutes have unnecessary milk in them. I can just bring a tub - it's bound to be cheaper anyway.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1902 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:58 »

Another game day today. I haven't decided what to wear, but I've narrowed the choices down to ironically wearing a t-shirt from a nearby college that doesn't have football or wearing my Ohio State shirt to rep for a team I'm a fan of that's capable of actually winning football games.

I'm not actually going to the game, but I do unfortunately have to go out there.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1903 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:59 »

Margarine is illegal? It's just vegetable oils, how weird! I looked up the wiki on margarine and apparently it can sometimes contain milk as well, so we'll have to see what there is. I sometimes prefer margarine over butter anyway.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1904 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:21 »

Margarine isn't even legal in the UK so I don't know what that is made of,

I presume that is a mistype of some sort.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1905 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:28 »

Another game day today. I haven't decided what to wear, but I've narrowed the choices down to ironically wearing a t-shirt from a nearby college that doesn't have football or wearing my Ohio State shirt to rep for a team I'm a fan of that's capable of actually winning football games.

I'm not actually going to the game, but I do unfortunately have to go out there.
When OU played Texas, I decided to wear my "Pumpkin Pi" T-shirt, which happens to be in Texas' school colors. Nobody noticed, but I got compliments on the "Pumpkin Pi" pun. Maybe this place is a bit nerdier than I expected.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1906 on: 26 Oct 2013, 11:22 »

Not a mistype, turns out I'm just wrong. I was sure that there was some EU directive about what margarine constitutes and some reason why it wasn't legal to sell it in the UK, but I can't find anything about that. It must be an urban myth! It has been illegal in New Zealand, Australia and Canada though (in order to protect the butter industry).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1907 on: 27 Oct 2013, 00:19 »

Margerine is definitely legal in Australia and has been at least for the last 27 years.

The morning I flew out from Australia I got an email from one of the universities I applied to. I was unsuccessful in my application because I didn't meet the selection criteria (Credit average for the 4th year course). I sent them an email asking to explain that statement in more detail as the transcripts I provided clearly showed that I had a Distinction average for my 4th year. I can accept not getting in but don't fucking tell me I don't meet selection criteria. I wouldn't have fucking applied if I didn't think I had a chance of getting in.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #1908 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:15 »

Almond milk does taste nicer

May, thank you so much for pointing out almond milk. I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian, but as I have to buy special products anyway due to lactose intolerance I've tried it, and it's amazing. Thanks for the hint!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1909 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:42 »

It is nom in hot chocolate. I don't think I'd use it for cooking though - soya milk is the closest to cow's milk in terms of behaviour when heated. I tried to make custard using rice milk once and it was a complete disaster.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1910 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:07 »

I spent all morning working on a "case study" (basically just a bunch of questions about the respiratory system in pregnancy) and now am confident that I understand how it works and can explain clearly and concisely.

Then I listened to the "audio tutorial" (basically my lecturer recorded herself answering the questions and telling us what precise combination of words would gain each half mark). I've only dropped 1.5 marks this time, compared with the five I dropped last time, out of fifteen each time, because I now know what sort of things she's looking for. I'm pretty sure my explanations often make more sense than hers though. At one point she informed us that the reason women are often anaemic during pregnancy is because the red blood cells are pregnant.

:psyduck:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1911 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:25 »

I wonder if Kanye would sue me if I made an album called Grad School Dropout.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1912 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:20 »

I got quite a lot of work done yesterday. I've done a lot less today, partly because I woke up later, and partly because I spent the morning chasing an escaped cow. Life here is never dull.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1913 on: 30 Oct 2013, 13:51 »

Sound design project
Set painting project (FUCK PAINTING, FUCK SET DESIGN, FUCK LIBERAL ARTS PHILOSOPHY THAT SAYS I SHOULD TAKE INTRO TO SCENIC DESIGN WHEN I WOULD RATHER GOUGE MY FACE OFF THAN BE A SCENIC DESIGNER)
Rehearsals that go until 1 AM
Fucking pointless bullshit documentary project where the deadlines come way too quickly.
Debate shit.
Plus regular school and work shit.

I'm getting so wasted when the weekend finally gets here. If caffeine overdose hasn't killed me first.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1914 on: 30 Oct 2013, 21:55 »

So I'm currently sitting in the Library of the University, still working on my exercise sheets. Yes, it's 5:51 AM here. No, I didn't sleep.

Damn, I need to do my exercise sheets earlier.

At least I'm finished with one, and only need one more exercise of the second one. Oh, and I need to write the solutions to the second one in a more clean way.

I've already thrown the first exercise sheet into the box, but the second one is due at 1:30 PM. I'll have a Tutorium for Advanced Mathematics at 8:00 AM, so in two hours, and I'll have a lecture in Advanced Mathematics at 5:30 PM. I'll also have a Tutorium for Basics of Computer Science at 3:45 PM.

I'm so fucking glad that tomorrow is a state holiday, so I can sleep. I don't even know how I should survive today.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1915 on: 31 Oct 2013, 12:03 »

I love it when colleges unintentionally cater to your needs. Mine came out with a new course just in time for me to try for a certification that is a companion to that course's work.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1916 on: 31 Oct 2013, 12:57 »

I am so fucking tired. I've passed through the phases of feeling tired, feeling sleepy and feeling a little hyper and am now only feeling like shit.

I have been awake for almost 40 hours now.

I'll go to bed now, and will only stand up again when I'm not tired anymore.

At least I managed to complete all exercise sheets on time. Sadly now the new ones have been released, and are due in a week. This'll be a long weekend. I'm not going to pull a complete all nighter again.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2013, 13:07 by ankhtahr »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1917 on: 31 Oct 2013, 13:20 »

OK, here is an important public service announcement.

DO NOT MAKE YOURSELF ILL TRYING TO DO ALL THE WORK.

If your degree is anything like my law degree was, it will not be physically possible to finish everything you're set. You need to prioritise, and one of your priorities needs to be your health. Take it from someone who had to take a year out of university after developing a fatigue disorder: nothing is worth sacrificing your health for.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1918 on: 31 Oct 2013, 13:27 »

Sleep deprivation. The story of grad school...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1919 on: 31 Oct 2013, 16:02 »

So my aforementioned sound project is to design music for The Tempest. We have to have pre-show, Act I intro, intermission, Act II (actually Act III, Scene ii) intro music, and post-show music. The caveat being that the music we use has to be non-European and pre-20th Century (although one exception was made for a girl who's doing viking music).

Additionally a translation of the lyrics (if applicable) has to be provided, which is where I ran into problems. I originally planned to use Inuit music, but I ran into a lack of available quality recordings, and an extreme lack of available translations. So today, the night before the project is due, I am switching to using traditional Korean music. This means that 2 days of work is down the drain, but those 2 days yielded almost nothing. This is going to be easy to do in a day by comparison.

Previously scrapped ideas include Ottoman (all I could really find was a style called 'Ottoman classical,' which was too European) and various Native American tribes including Choctaw, Catawba, and Delaware (again there's an availability issue - especially trying to find tribal specific music instead of generic 'Native American.'). So yeah, having a lot of fun cutting music right now.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2013, 16:08 by 94ssd »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1920 on: 31 Oct 2013, 17:08 »

Even at school in my day we composed the music (for The Tempest, like you).  And played and recorded it (I was the sound engineer, my first real experience of it - with a professional parent helping, admittedly).

I take it that in your rules "non-European" means "not western art music", so the various nineteenth century romantic American composers would be out as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1921 on: 31 Oct 2013, 18:46 »

I have no experience composing music outside of GarageBand, but starting next semester I intend to take a cadre of Music Industry classes that can count toward my sound design concentration. I'm allowed to skip the prerequisites (including the usual 'ability to sing or play an instrument to be admitted into the music school' requirement).

In the past, the Theatre department has allowed Music Industry majors to skip past intro courses and portfolio reviews right to the upper-level design classes, but apparently I am the first one in a while to go in the other direction. The Music school is a conservatory, so they tend to be very insular. I imagine I'll look like quite the outsider.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1922 on: 02 Nov 2013, 01:58 »

I got an email from RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, a university I applied for) saying that they need one of my references as soon as possible. I've emailed my boss to remind her to send it through but I'm taking this as a good sign...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #1923 on: 03 Nov 2013, 12:53 »

Ankh, I take it you do the exercise sheets all on your own?  :psyduck: For the fuck of the sake, don't do that. Split tasks with someone, or explain the topic to each other.

Also, in slightly related news, I got to meet one of the guys who was partially responsible for your hazing :D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1924 on: 03 Nov 2013, 17:49 »

Well, I'm not doing them all on my own. Also I definitely need training.

And how did you meet that guy? Is it somebody I know? (I've met a few people of the Fachschaft, and want to do some Fachschaftsarbeit as well)

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1925 on: 03 Nov 2013, 23:55 »

We were both at the KIF this  weekend. (conference of the IT Science student unions). I dunno if you know him. Timo something? Will PM you a public picture of him if you want.

Glad to hear about the Fachschaftsarbeit :-D

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1926 on: 04 Nov 2013, 00:03 »

Yep, I'd like to participate in the KIFs too. A friend of mine from Kiel always does. He's also the reason for me wanting to do some work.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1927 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:30 »

Uh-oh.

I just learned that Lund University's accomodation agency stopped taking applications ten days ago, and even had I applied, they say they are unlikely to be able to offer me housing regardless, due to not being part of an exchange program. So now I have two months left to find housing in Sweden without the university's assistance that I expected.

This might be a good reason to panic.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1928 on: 05 Nov 2013, 09:47 »

Uh-oh.

I just learned that Lund University's accomodation agency stopped taking applications ten days ago, and even had I applied, they say they are unlikely to be able to offer me housing regardless, due to not being part of an exchange program. So now I have two months left to find housing in Sweden without the university's assistance that I expected.

This might be a good reason to panic.

[Insert smartass culturally ignorant comment about living in an igloo here]

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1929 on: 05 Nov 2013, 18:25 »

It's Sweden, not Iceland. 

:angel:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1930 on: 06 Nov 2013, 01:23 »

Or Canada.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1931 on: 06 Nov 2013, 06:43 »

I really start to dislike math. The workload is pretty heavy. Another exercise sheet due tomorrow, and another one due the day after.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #1932 on: 06 Nov 2013, 06:43 »

Lapland is pretty cold, though. Though reindeer hide tents are more relevant than igloos up there.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1933 on: 06 Nov 2013, 07:09 »

Lund is only so far north as Copenhagen, so no reindeer hide tents for me.

Actually, I'm getting a surprisingly high number of housing offers already. Suspiciously high, considering the accomodation agency's warning against scammers.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1934 on: 06 Nov 2013, 07:18 »

I really start to dislike math. The workload is pretty heavy. Another exercise sheet due tomorrow, and another one due the day after.
Welcome to Computer Science.
There is a saying here at our university: "What's the difference between a CS Student and a Math Student? The Math student wanted to study math." Sadly, that's exactly what studying CS feels like.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1935 on: 06 Nov 2013, 07:41 »

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I want to switch my major away from chemistry (Or any of the sciences, really). I really want to go into Social Work so I can help people, but social workers don't make much money at all and I'll have ~60,000 in student loans when I graduate. My parents suggested psychology, but it really is not the same as social work.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1936 on: 06 Nov 2013, 07:51 »

A psychology BA and then a MSW is the path you really want for social work.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1937 on: 06 Nov 2013, 07:59 »

Most people I know who've worked with social workers HATED their social workers.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1938 on: 06 Nov 2013, 08:19 »

That does not mean that social workers should not exist!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #1939 on: 06 Nov 2013, 08:36 »

I wish that I could get myself motivated to take the last course I need to take to get my degree. Yes its just a 2 year degree from a decent accredited junior college, but right now I'm just sitting on a GED (I had my first kid when I was 17, kind of threw off most of my life since then, though I can't complain, I love my kids and my wife). The problem is that I have a really good job RIGHT NOW, so its just hard to convince myself to go through all the applying stuff to reenroll in school and just take one class when it would add nothing to my current life.

I need to stop being lazy though.

The worst part? The class is a basic intro to networking class that I could sleep through, so its not like I have any fear of it being remotely difficult.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1940 on: 06 Nov 2013, 08:39 »

dr. nervioso, A lot of people I know have gone into a Master's program in mental health counseling after their psych BA as opposed to an MSW. From what I understand, an LMHC has more training in the field before they can obtain their license and focus more on face to face therapy. LCSWs can do different things- they can diagnose and also work on the administrative sides of things. I'm a little fuzzy on the difference but my best friend is an LMHC and she said that they have to clock more supervised hours before they can be licensed, so technically they have more experience out of the gate. But- it is one of the newer titles in the field so there is a bit of push from LCSWs because they think they are going to be replaced (which is not the case- they can both coexist!)

My best advice? Talk to the head of the department about what you really want to do. They should be knowledgeable enough to point you in the right direction for the career path you're interested in pursuing.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1941 on: 06 Nov 2013, 09:12 »

Emperor Norton, just to play devil's advocate for a bit - why do you need a degree if you're happy with your job and your life as it is? Would it contribute to a longer-term life plan to have it? Or do you simply not like leaving things unfinished? That's a perfectly reasonable reason to do something, of course.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #1942 on: 06 Nov 2013, 09:35 »

I like the job I have now, but its a bit nebulous how long it will last. If you asked me when I took it a couple of years ago, I would tell you I didn't expect it to last as long as it has.

Its a good job, but technically I'm an outside contractor, and while every indication is that they love my work for them, I can technically be dismissed at any time.

And there in lies the issue. I've never held a normal job, I've technically been self employed for my entire adult life, first as a building contractor and now as an outside marketing consultant. And the only reason I was picked up as a marketing consultant for the company I'm contracted to now is because their marketing team didn't know enough about the product to pitch it. I worry that if I lose the client I work for now, I would be starting over in life, and I really want at least some kind of degree to at least point to get my foot in the door in some field.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1943 on: 06 Nov 2013, 09:52 »

dr. nervioso, A lot of people I know have gone into a Master's program in mental health counseling after their psych BA as opposed to an MSW. From what I understand, an LMHC has more training in the field before they can obtain their license and focus more on face to face therapy. LCSWs can do different things- they can diagnose and also work on the administrative sides of things. I'm a little fuzzy on the difference but my best friend is an LMHC and she said that they have to clock more supervised hours before they can be licensed, so technically they have more experience out of the gate. But- it is one of the newer titles in the field so there is a bit of push from LCSWs because they think they are going to be replaced (which is not the case- they can both coexist!)

My best advice? Talk to the head of the department about what you really want to do. They should be knowledgeable enough to point you in the right direction for the career path you're interested in pursuing.

It can also depend on your location. My mom's an LCSW and as far as I know Colorado doesn't even have a qualification for an LHMC. I'll ask her about it next time I call home. Over all I'd rather have someone capable of being able to handle diagnosis and references for more advanced care if it's required working with me so from what's described were I to seek care it would be with an LCSW over an LHMC

I'd also question an LMHC as requiring more supervised hours... usually any one with a diagnosis power requires some pretty significant time in the saddle. Just based on the short reading I've done over lunch, LMHC criteria varies a lot as of right now, so it might be different place to place where LCSW is a national standard/criteria with a certified common program for training.

This thread could also be very useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lmhc-vs-lcsw-masters-questions.393720/

and this post in particular:

In my (again, very biased) opinion, the MSW is a bit more of a known quantity, as the Council on Social Work Education accredits the programs and mandates a core curriculum. And one of the requirements of licensure in every state I've looked into has been that the degree be from a CSWE-accredited school. Plus, the ONLY degree which can obtain a LCSW/LICSW is a MSW. So as a general rule, if you're hiring a MSW and/or LCSW, you know what their background is. (Of course, electives, practica, and work experience are important as well.) It is my understanding- and if someone knows differently, please feel free to correct me- that the curricula at counseling schools tend to vary more as there are multiple similar degrees- MEd Counseling, MA Counseling, MCounseling, etc- which all sit for the LPC/LMHC exams. So there's a lot more variability going on, and an employer may not know exactly what they're getting. It's debatable whether that's of any actual importance as they are so similar, but.....

I would propose that this difference is part of the reasons why Medicare will reimburse LCSWs but not LPCs/LMHCs at this point. My theory is that because of the more cohesive background, the NASW has been able to advocate more strongly to get things passed while the NBCC is trying to pull together folks from several fields and hasn't gotten it done yet. They are working on it, though, but it's been several years.

This issue does come into play occasionally.. couple of anecdotes- I was working for a CMHC where a LPC in my department was running DBT groups and one of my clients would have really done well with that. Except she had Medicare and no ability to pay for the services out of pocket, so she couldn't go. Same agency- the state cut the budget for mental health services, leading to a slash in our funding. There was talk of laying off someone in our department (adult psychotherapy). I had the least seniority, but they were going to keep me (LCSW) and cut the person ahead of me (LPC) because I could generate revenue from the same resources as her, PLUS Medicare.

Complaints from some of my counseling friends include the Medicare thing, but also that they can ONLY do counseling jobs, whereas the MSW allows me to transition to do medical SW, or organizational, administration, advocacy, adoption, children/families... etc etc etc. So there have been several positions they wanted to apply for and were not able to do so.

Something to consider.

Bolds my own.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1944 on: 06 Nov 2013, 10:03 »

Eh, fair enough. All I have is minimal knowledge about it. Well, that and knowing that my friend found a job immediately after graduating and ended up making $40k/yr to start. She recently got a promotion and another $5K/yr. Of course, YMMV.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1945 on: 08 Nov 2013, 01:51 »

Ankh, remember you can ask us about math. There is also Khan Academy, which *almost* let me pass Linear Algebra from scratch. (Stupid one point difference...)

It does get better. Or rather, you get used to the workload. Try to spread it out over the week. Don't start it on the evening before.
hypocrisy *cough*

Oh, and when you think I am getting too preachy, tell me to stop :p

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1946 on: 08 Nov 2013, 10:48 »

Emperor Norton, can you take it online somewhere so that it won't be the major life disruption you fear?  Then transfer the credit for the degree completion? 

And will the paper allow you to be hired in your current position by the company that loves you? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #1947 on: 09 Nov 2013, 12:33 »

So, our theatre department's latest acquisition was unveiled today: a $300 ghost light that normally would only cost like $50. But this one was so expensive because it went to every theatre person's favorite charity, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

Other offerings from BC/EFA include overpriced props and not actually overpriced (just extremely expensive) memorabilia from Broadway shows.

So, yay for charity. Plus we have a proper ghost light now, which is good for safety SATISFYING THE GHOSTS OF ACTORS PAST
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2013, 12:42 by 94ssd »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1948 on: 09 Nov 2013, 13:03 »

Wait, hang on, they bought a light at six times the price because it was being sold by a charity? Why not buy the light at a reasonable price and make a donation?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1949 on: 09 Nov 2013, 13:24 »

That's basically what happened May.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50   Go Up