THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 453765 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: University/College
« Reply #2150 on: 25 Jan 2014, 06:52 »

Red Bull makes me tick uncontrollably. I usually end up harming myself by mistake. Can't drink the stuff.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2151 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:42 »

Tastes like infected piss smells.  WON'T drink the stuff...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #2152 on: 25 Jan 2014, 12:11 »

It'll keep you up or pop your heart.

Either sounds like a solution right now

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2153 on: 26 Jan 2014, 12:35 »

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2154 on: 26 Jan 2014, 23:05 »

So for the second time in three weeks, school is cancelled due to weather.  Apparently that winter vortex is coming back or something.  Whatever. 

So school is cancelled.  Now, I'm all for a snow day, but I have several assignments due tomorrow/today and my classes are already behind due to the other snow day and MLK day. 

And what the hell?  They're closing a college due to cold weather?  Man they are sissies here in southern MN...not even record breaking windchill temps could close down UND, it took being under 10 ft of water for that to happen (seriously), and that was back in '97. 

So the school is squandering its snow days on non-issues.  Wtf man...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2155 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:57 »

I got my grade for the physiology exam - 65%. Which is fine, that's a solid 2.i and I didn't exactly do any work for it. But that's the problem: I could have probably been one of the people who got 90%+ if I'd worked harder. I ought to be able to get a First on this degree (even if a large portion of the marks seem to be about being able to accurately jump through little administrative hoops rather than knowing anything...), but I haven't worked hard enough. I'm too used to doing well without effort, and without the pressure-cooker environment of Cambridge to stress me into working more than I naturally feel is necessary, I've coasted.

I've now got three and a half months in which I only have two weeks in university, so I'm not sure what to do about this. I don't know how to get good grades on placement, I've never done it!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2156 on: 30 Jan 2014, 11:01 »

Ambrosia!

So Snalin and I agree on two things, and we agreed on them in a very short space of time.

Prepare for the end times people.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2157 on: 31 Jan 2014, 14:30 »

I posted about this a while ago, but I did want to say that I am not entirely in support of FIRE. Mainly because they are against any form of sexual harassment and discrimination codes at universities. However, our anti-free speech ranking was definitely deserved in this case.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2158 on: 16 Feb 2014, 19:21 »

The president of OU, David Boren, wrote an article about the decline of state funding of universities, specifically regarding Oklahoma, which has been cutting its education budget somewhat aggressively over the past few years.

For some context to things he mentioned in the article, the current governor wants to eliminate the state's income tax by cutting spending (and education spending is usually the first to get cut). The bridge between Lexington and Purcell that he mentions was closed a couple weeks ago because it's in immediate danger of collapse. Because the nearest bridge is about 30 miles away, it now takes an hour to get from the one town to the other.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2159 on: 17 Feb 2014, 06:40 »

The president of OU, David Boren, wrote an article about the decline of state funding of universities, specifically regarding Oklahoma, which has been cutting its education budget somewhat aggressively over the past few years.

For some context to things he mentioned in the article, the current governor wants to eliminate the state's income tax by cutting spending (and education spending is usually the first to get cut). The bridge between Lexington and Purcell that he mentions was closed a couple weeks ago because it's in immediate danger of collapse. Because the nearest bridge is about 30 miles away, it now takes an hour to get from the one town to the other.

Anything for the benefit of the wealthy. Pat McCrory Art Pope's plan slashes the budget for education, infrastructure, and social welfare and RAISES taxes on middle and working-class families, all so that the wealthiest few thousand can get a generous cut.

What makes it worse is that they've installed a cadre of yes-men on the UNC system Board of Governors. Recently they forced all universities to "consolidate" programs, they have banned gender-neutral housing, and threatened to close universities (UNC School of the Arts, Elizabeth City State, an HBCU, and UNC-Pembroke, a historically Native American school that still serves a large percentage of Native Americans and minority students.)

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2160 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:15 »

I continue to be extremely pissed off at my university's "closed search" for it's next Chancellor, especially since they recently announced that they narrowed it down to two candidates and submitted them to the UNC system President. We won't have any clue who our new leader is, or who the other options were, until Tom Ross deigns to announce it to us smallfolk.

The direction this university is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired some sort of "professional administrator" type a la E. Gordon Gee (known for racking up obscene amounts of money at Ohio State and Vanderbilt).

We had a chancellor for 10 years who was well liked and successfully grew this school into a widely known institution. We got that chancellor by; A. having an open search where student, faculty, and staff input was encouraged, and B. picking someone with a past connection to the school (in this case the dean of the business school). It's already known that the new chancellor doesn't meet criterion A, and I highly doubt that they will meet B either.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2161 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:33 »

I really didn't want to go to class today, so I got up and checked my email before heading out just in case there was no lecture after all. Turned out there wasn't! The timetable says every Friday this term except today. Went back to sleep, life is good.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2162 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:45 »

When Cambridge decided to look for a new Chancellor, they allowed members of the Senate House (anyone who holds a degree at Masters level or above) to nominate people and then vote. The university's first choice was Lord Sainsbury. The student body wasn't very impressed by that choice so the graduate students banded together and nominated Brian Blessed. He very nearly won as well, and if BA holders had been able to vote I'm fairly certain he would have. He came to Cambridge a couple of times to meet people and campaign but sadly it was the old alumnae who came up from London to vote (you had to vote in person, on a weekday - which obviously made it tricky for anyone living more than an hour or two away) who tipped the balance towards the boring choice.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2163 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:49 »

Glasgow Uni voted Edward Snowden as rector  :roll:

Nothing wrong with Snowden, but like... it would be a lot more beneficial for the uni to have a rector who is actually present to do whatever a rector does, instead of some famous guy who can't do anything and is unable to even visit the campus.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2164 on: 21 Feb 2014, 18:29 »

Just saw the awesome news that the library is returning to 24/5 operation after Spring Break. They got rid of it a couple years ago because of budget cuts (but still had 24/5 hours the week before and during exam week), but last semester the students passed a referendum to increase tuition by $10 in order to bring it back.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2165 on: 21 Feb 2014, 23:19 »

Glasgow Uni voted Edward Snowden as rector  :roll:

Nothing wrong with Snowden, but like... it would be a lot more beneficial for the uni to have a rector who is actually present to do whatever a rector does, instead of some famous guy who can't do anything and is unable to even visit the campus.

Glasgow apparently does that pretty regularly. It's just a ceremonial thing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2166 on: 22 Feb 2014, 01:51 »

Figureheads are normal in universities.  The Chancellor of Oxford University is a figurehead (Lord Patten) - the person who runs it is the Vice-Chancellor.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2167 on: 22 Feb 2014, 04:47 »

Figureheads are normal in universities.  The Chancellor of Oxford University is a figurehead (Lord Patten) - the person who runs it is the Vice-Chancellor.

That seems to be a UK thing. It's the actual leader that's being (very secretly) selected. If you want to honor a politician or random celebrity in the US, you invite them to be your commencement speaker.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2168 on: 22 Feb 2014, 09:26 »

At Oxford the V-C is chosen by a committee, but has to be approved by a larger body known as Congregation (of which I am a member), which also gets to vote on major policies that the V-C wants to introduce.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2169 on: 25 Feb 2014, 08:21 »

So I got the results from my Web Development Intro class midterm, and apparently the average score for the class was 11.8 (out of 25 possible points), with the median somewhere around 13.5, and according to our instructor, this is 0.5 points higher than the previous semester.  He explained that he wanted the test to be hard, both as a means to see where the class sat in regards to knowing the material and as a "wake up call" to the people sitting in the back, who "seem to be playing around on their computers most of the time", as he put it.  One person got a 26, which he said he was both happy about, since someone got a perfect score plus the extra credit, and upset because someone had actually gotten a perfect score (therefore the test isn't hard enough!).

Me personally, I got a 24 (two wrong plus extra credit, so only one off), because I misinterpreted one question and genuinely didn't know the other.  And although I sit more toward the front, I'm also one of those guys who plays around on his computer during class, so I definitely broke that mold.  It probably helps that I taught myself HTML and CSS last summer though, so other than some CSS margin alignment tricks, everything we've covered so far is material I'm already familiar with.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2170 on: 27 Feb 2014, 13:25 »

I've just got back my grade for the evidence-based assignment I handed in and I'm disappointed. I got 58% - the worst grade I've got so far on this degree, and I think possibly the worst grade I've ever got (although I don't remember my first year grade). I seem to have lost marks for not having double-spaced the text, which was not required in the assignment brief. Grr.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2171 on: 05 Mar 2014, 14:04 »

I don't understand why academics insist on double-spacing documents. It only serves to wear out my scroll wheel or spend a lot of printer paper.

I'm also fast approaching the record for longest time procrastinating. I had two weeks to write an extended version of my research proposal, without really having any other work to do, I told my supervisor I'd send it to him by tomorrow, and I started working on it yesterday.

On the bright side, I drew up a table with my predictions for all the different trial types and color-coded it. Such productive! So clarity!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2172 on: 05 Mar 2014, 14:39 »

So I got the results from my Web Development Intro class midterm, and apparently the average score for the class was 11.8 (out of 25 possible points), with the median somewhere around 13.5, and according to our instructor, this is 0.5 points higher than the previous semester.  He explained that he wanted the test to be hard, both as a means to see where the class sat in regards to knowing the material and as a "wake up call" to the people sitting in the back, who "seem to be playing around on their computers most of the time", as he put it.  One person got a 26, which he said he was both happy about, since someone got a perfect score plus the extra credit, and upset because someone had actually gotten a perfect score (therefore the test isn't hard enough!).

Me personally, I got a 24 (two wrong plus extra credit, so only one off), because I misinterpreted one question and genuinely didn't know the other.  And although I sit more toward the front, I'm also one of those guys who plays around on his computer during class, so I definitely broke that mold.  It probably helps that I taught myself HTML and CSS last summer though, so other than some CSS margin alignment tricks, everything we've covered so far is material I'm already familiar with.

huh, here you wouldn't have something like that. I just wrote the first university exam of my life. I don't know whether I will pass. I think so, but I can't be sure. The grading will be done so that 50% of the people will pass. Which will probably mean that they have to reduce the number of points needed to pass from 50% to 40% or even lower. That is because this exam is one of the unofficial filtering exams. Most other exams will have about 70% of the participants passing.

Damn I actually  feel exhausted from thinking so intensely.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2173 on: 05 Mar 2014, 14:43 »

That's a rather weird way to grade a test.
When will you know?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2174 on: 05 Mar 2014, 15:05 »

I don't understand why academics insist on double-spacing documents. It only serves to wear out my scroll wheel or spend a lot of printer paper.

I've heard it's so that comments can be written between the lines.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2175 on: 05 Mar 2014, 15:58 »

Loki: In approximately two weeks. From what I've heard that kind of grading is not too uncommon for universities without admission criteria. If they allow anybody to enroll they need some way to filter out the people who aren't good, so they have some exams you have to pass.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2176 on: 05 Mar 2014, 16:19 »

No admission criteria? Like none whatsoever? I assume you have to have at least passed high school, right? Done some maths at some point? Or can you just walk in off the street and go "I'd like a shot at that degree, thank you!"?

I detest any kind of normal distribution of grades, because it assumes that the mean of the ability of students every semester is fixed, which is a complete bullshit assumption. Having a certain cutoff percentage of fail/pass is less troubling if the students go in knowing that the class sizes are to be reduced, but any kind of "well, you got a C this semester, but the same exam answers would've gotten you a B last semester because the average at that point did worse" is the dumbest thing.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2177 on: 05 Mar 2014, 16:42 »

Well, here in Germany we have a different educational system. There's the primary school, called Grundschule, and after grade 4 (6 in some states) the students are distributed on Hauptschule, Realschule and Gymnasium. Hauptschule ends after grade 9. Realschule ends after grade 10/11 and Gymnasium ends after grade 12/13. Most people who went to Hauptschule will end up as some kind of blue collar worker. People who went to Realschule typically end up as white collar workers, and people who went to Gymnasium often go to University after school (We don't really consider University to be school anymore).

The certificate you get after finishing Gymnasium is called Abitur, and that's required to be enrolled at any German University. Some universities have admission criteria you need to meet for some courses, some don't. These are usually called Numerus Clausus, short NC. It's calculated based on your Abitur-grade, and the time you waited between school and university. Basically if you have good enough grades you can get enrolled immediately, if your grades aren't sufficient you'll have to wait a few years until you can start. Most universities in Germany don't have a NC for Computer Science, mine doesn't either, but Loki goes to a university which has a NC. In order to not have too many people studying, especially without tuition fees, they have difficult exams to get rid of people who aren't good enough. I actually prefer it that way, as my Abitur-grades weren't too good, and in fact, they are hardly relevant. What good is a grade which is composed of the individual grades in Physics, German (mainly literature), Math, English and Macroeconomics (in my case), to judge how good somebody is at computer science.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2178 on: 05 Mar 2014, 16:45 »

My uni had an NC but it was 2,3 so that doesn't count

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2179 on: 05 Mar 2014, 16:46 »

heh, my grade wouldn't have sufficed for that.

Edit: as clarification: Grades go from 1 to 6 in Germany. 1 being the best. An Abitur-grade of 1 - 3.7 means you passed the Abitur. So an N.C. of 2.3 means that you need a 2.3 or better.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2180 on: 05 Mar 2014, 17:06 »

Wait, so it's decided who goes to university as early as grade 4? That's terrible!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2181 on: 05 Mar 2014, 17:15 »

It's unofficial, but I believe it happens much earlier in the US, they just call it the red group or the blue group. Once kids are sorted out for math and reading in kindergarten or first grade, they're unlikely to be in a different group the next year, and at least in my experience, those tracks determined whether you were ready for Algebra in 8th grade or not, which carried on into high school to whether you would be offered AP classes.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2182 on: 05 Mar 2014, 17:20 »

You can easily get into college without taking any AP classes, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2183 on: 05 Mar 2014, 18:40 »

True, but I feel like the mindset of "good enough" and "not good enough" for college gets started at a pretty young age, even without official college-track and trade-track programs.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2184 on: 05 Mar 2014, 19:16 »

Definitely. One of the reasons I'm rather in favour of exams "external" to schools is this whole lazy "how you did last term/year is how you will do next" thing. My junior-school teachers didn't think much of me (because anyone with poor English is stupid and/or lazy, right?), but then I did well in the external State Selective High School Placement Test  and suddenly I wasn't stupid any more...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2185 on: 05 Mar 2014, 22:59 »

Some universities have admission criteria you need to meet for some courses, some don't. These are usually called Numerus Clausus, short NC. It's calculated based on your Abitur-grade, and the time you waited between school and university. Basically if you have good enough grades you can get enrolled immediately, if your grades aren't sufficient you'll have to wait a few years until you can start.

Technically, that's not what the NC is, at least not in my state. How it works is this:

(click to show/hide)

The NC then is simply the average mark of the "worst" person, marks-wise, who got in. It serves merely as an orientation value for potential applicants. Sadly, most take this to mean "you HAVE to be this good to get in", which is simply not true.

Most universities in Germany don't have a NC for Computer Science, mine doesn't either, but Loki goes to a university which has a NC.
Yes, but it didn't when I enrolled :-) In fact, we only have one because we were forced to from somewhere higher up the administration chain. So we put in a suitably high overbooking factor. What happened last time was that people were so intimidated by the new NC that few applied, so literally everyone who applied got in, and the worst of them had a 3.8 as the average, simply because nobody worse dared apply :-D (The worst you can pass the Abitur with is a 4.)

Re "deciding at grade 4 where you go": yes. This is one of the biggest criticisms of our education system. Technically, you can switch schools midway, from Hauptschule to Realschule and then to Gymnasium, but this rarely happens.

Dunno if it's just my state*, but we also have a "Gesamtschule" ("common school") where you can go instead of any of the three, and theoretically(tm) you'll get the same education as on a Realschule, sufficient to continue your way in a Gymnasium to an Abitur. Practically... yeah.

*While federal law affects much more here than in the US, education is a matter of the individual states. Most states have roughly the same education model, though. Except Bavaria, who is a special snowflake, as always.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2186 on: 06 Mar 2014, 00:02 »

Yeah, I was doing all that from the top of my mind, and I was exhausted and tired. Don't know why I'm less tired now even though I didn't sleep yet. Am going to bed now.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2187 on: 06 Mar 2014, 00:55 »

(I'd be curious to know if this process is similar in other countries.)

Yes.

When you apply here in the cold north, you're ranked by a score, which comes from your high school grade average, plus some points for being older and having been to the military and a bunch of other requirements. But you also have some minimums - to study to become a teacher, you need a minimum of 3 (1-6, 1 is fail) in both Norwegian and Maths from high school to get in. To get into computer science, or indeed anything science related, you need to have passed some advanced level maths from high school.

The idea is that there's some bare minimums that you simply need to be able to pass anything, and they'd be providing a bad public service if they accepted people that they knew would fail within the first semestre.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2188 on: 06 Mar 2014, 02:24 »

heh, my grade wouldn't have sufficed for that.

Edit: as clarification: Grades go from 1 to 6 in Germany. 1 being the best. An Abitur-grade of 1 - 3.7 means you passed the Abitur. So an N.C. of 2.3 means that you need a 2.3 or better.
Just for the record, at least in Lower Saxony you can pass your Abitur with 4.0. Fun Fact: Volkswagen gives a job and a new car to anybody who manages to finish their Abitur with exactly 4.0, which is actually pretty hard to achieve.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2189 on: 06 Mar 2014, 03:13 »

Presumably that's urban legend.  I've seen versions that get you a VW, Audi (A1), Porsche, BMW, Ford (Ka), €100, €500...

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2190 on: 06 Mar 2014, 09:26 »

Makes text easier to read (especially on screens) and when printed out, allows room to write comments above specific parts of the text.

And you can always do double-sided printing  :-P

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2191 on: 06 Mar 2014, 14:22 »

Looking back, part of me wishes universities were like that here. It probably would've made me care more in high school rather than just coasting and getting into a relatively easy school and then doing a relatively easy (but not very useful) major.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2192 on: 06 Mar 2014, 16:39 »

Definitely. One of the reasons I'm rather in favour of exams "external" to schools is this whole lazy "how you did last term/year is how you will do next" thing. My junior-school teachers didn't think much of me (because anyone with poor English is stupid and/or lazy, right?), but then I did well in the external State Selective High School Placement Test  and suddenly I wasn't stupid any more...

Akima is backed up by a considerable history of standardized exams highlighting outstanding people who had been victims of prejudice and/or bad teaching.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2193 on: 06 Mar 2014, 17:27 »

I wasn't objecting to standardized tests, I was objecting to standardized tests at age 10 or younger determining whether or not you go to university years later. Is there a way for a Hauptschule student to take a test to transfer to Realschule, or for a Realschule student to take a test to transfer to Gymnasium? If so, then my objections are satisfied.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2194 on: 06 Mar 2014, 22:36 »

If you've finished one school you can transfer, but that's ddifficult. Also (keep in mind that I'm only speaking for Schleswig-Holstein here, like Loki mentioned, education is a state matter) during the first two years of secondary school, if your grades are good enough, you get to transfer up, and if your grades aren't good enough you'll have to transfer down.

There are no standardised tests for determining which school a child should go to. Here the class teacher will give a tecommendation, based on their opinion, and you're allowed to go to one school higher or lower than was recommended. I got a recommendation for Realschule and went to Gymnasium. If parends don't wish to follow the recommendation they will have to go to a meeting with the teacher and somebody from the ministry, so they can tell them why the child was given that recommendation, and why they should follow it. Also it's not possible to go to Gymnasium if you got a recommendation for Hauptschule.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2195 on: 06 Mar 2014, 23:30 »

I am not sure about the whole transfering stuff, but the way I remember it, the Hauptschule/Realschule/Gymnasium were  subdivided into low level (grade 5-6), middle level (grade 7-10) and upper level (11-13), while only Gymnasium and Gesamtschule providing the latter. I am reasonably certain you could transfer one school up the ladder at the end of a level if you were good enough, and I suppose you could always transfer down. I am not sure if you could maybe transfer at any time, or what the exact procedure would have been.

I know that the next state over (Lower Saxony), the division was grade 5-7 lower and 6-10 middle level, for example.

So yes, it was theoretically possible, but I think I know only two people who did.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2196 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:50 »

So I've decided to try to plan out my schedule for the Fall semester. It hasn't gone well.

First of all, I need to take Intermediate Arabic next semester because if I don’t I’d have to wait until the following Fall and I’d probably fail. However, I ALSO need to take Early Theatre History. Otherwise I can’t take Modern Theatre History in the Spring, in which case I can’t take “Senior Capstone” the following fall. These two courses are offered at the same time. I think maybe I could get an exception and be let into Modern, I’ll have to see.

All the Political Science courses for my minor have prerequisites I don’t have, are insanely-difficult looking dual-listed graduated courses, are open to majors only, or I've already taken them.

The professor who teaches the class I wanted to take for Junior writing is retiring, and no one is picking up the class. It was a course on documentary making and seemed pretty cool. Strangely, I can't seem to find the other junior writing classes, it's possible they haven't finished scheduling them yet.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2197 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:36 »

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2198 on: 18 Mar 2014, 15:44 »

I just wrote the first university exam of my life. I don't know whether I will pass. I think so, but I can't be sure.

I passed. The grade isn't great, but eh, at least I passed. I got a 3.3. My circle of friends is mostly between 3.0 and 4.0.

178 people have failed. 41 for the second time.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2199 on: 18 Mar 2014, 15:53 »

178? Holy shit, out of how many?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Up