THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 Jun 2024, 16:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 453661 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: University/College
« Reply #2200 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:00 »

529 actually. So only a third which failed.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2201 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:06 »

That's a ridiculously large class. I guess I'm not surprised that many people failed, although that is pretty sad.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2202 on: 23 Mar 2014, 22:45 »

I have to meet with my adviser this week for midterm review and to find out what classes I'll be taking in the fall.  Going by what people in my cohort took last semester, I'll be taking open source and networking classes, and also business comm.  Gonna have to remember to ask him about internships as well, though I doubt I'd get one with only one semester under my belt.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2203 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:30 »

Got a 1.3 on the paper I wrote a while ago. That went better than expected, I honestly didn't think it'd be better than a 2.0

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2204 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:47 »

My husband is thinking of going "back" to school! He never took any college classes after high school, but now one of our friends is encouraging him to apply for the police department and they require a 2-year crim degree. It should be interesting if he actually goes for it...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2205 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:54 »

Today was my Statistics exam which I was scared as fuck of, because if I fail, I'd have to do an additional semester for my Bachelor's. But I dominated that bitch. I would have been satisfied if I'd barely passed, but the way it looks right now it might even be a decent grade. Today is a good day.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #2206 on: 31 Mar 2014, 08:34 »

The main dining hall (formerly just "Central Dining Hall") is now named after a trustee who has been serving in that position for all of 4 years.

Older buildings on campus are named after state governors or other officials, long-serving professors, or past Chancellors. New buildings tend to be named after who has a couple million dollars to get their name thrown on a building. If they bankroll the construction of that building that's one thing (as is the case with the newly renovated performing arts center) that's one thing. But this is someone who's having their name thrown onto a building that was built 6 years ago.

I don't fault the university for accepting the money though, especially in this climate. I just think it's better when a building is named something for a reason other than "this is who wants to donate the most money this year."

In other news, our new chancellor was revealed last week, and we now have our first ever female chancellor. She also actually has an education background, so my fears that the controversial closed search would lead to them selecting a fucking CEO or some Gordon Gee-esque fundraising vehicle rather than an actual education leader have not been realized.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2014, 08:42 by 94ssd »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2207 on: 31 Mar 2014, 08:43 »

One of the colleges at my old uni was renamed after two donors despite having been around for nearly sixty years at that point. You can tell what year someone came up by what they call the college - it remained steadfastly under its old name for two or three years, but gradually started to shift over after a full generation of students had been through with the new name.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2208 on: 31 Mar 2014, 08:54 »

One of the colleges at my old uni was renamed after two donors despite having been around for nearly sixty years at that point. You can tell what year someone came up by what they call the college - it remained steadfastly under its old name for two or three years, but gradually started to shift over after a full generation of students had been through with the new name.

I'll probably still call it Central until I graduate. Long-time students on our campus (either super-seniors or students who came back for Grad school) tended to call it by the name of the OLD dining hall that was in the same spot but was torn down. Fortunately there's very few of those left, because then it would be terribly confusing.

No one is calling the PAC by its old name, I think because it was a total transformation and we don't want to remember the dim prison auditorium-looking thing that used to be in there. It had shitty sightlines and shitty acoustics, because the seats weren't raked enough and the walls were just exposed brick. Even in the 70s I don't see how they thought that was acceptable.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2209 on: 31 Mar 2014, 14:44 »

My university is much the same. The old original buildings are named for, like, founders and important state legislator people. The new ones are named for people who gave lots of money. The gym was called the CRC (Campus Recreation Center) for the first 5 years or so, then somebody got their name slapped on and now it's the ERC (Somebody whose name starts with E Recreation Center). But like 94ssd, the Smith, Kogod, Kay, and other families have dumped enough money on the performing arts building that we had no problem calling things by their names. While I was there, Mr. Smith came to an event and noticed that the slate plaza out front got really slippery in the rain, so he had it torn up and redone with a different kind of stone.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2210 on: 31 Mar 2014, 17:32 »

I will say, our mainstage theatre (different from the Performing Arts Center, which is only used for plays occasionally) is named for a donor, but she was an actress from the area. The new black box that will hopefully be built before I graduate will just be named after the outgoing Chancellor's wife.

They are also renaming the Business building after the Chancellor. Which I'll accept because he originally was an accounting professor and, very recent events excluded, has done a HELL of a lot of good things for the school over his 10-year tenure as Chancellor.

Although, thinking about it, there will now be two nearby buildings with the same last name attached to them. This is a problem we already have because of how much money the Belk family (of department store fame) has given to the school.

I'd wager there's at least one Belk building, stadium, or scholarship on every college campus in North Carolina. No one gives money to higher education quite like the Belks do. Something to keep in mind next time you're picking what department store to go to at the mall.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2211 on: 01 Apr 2014, 03:36 »

Let's be fair now, the buildings that were named after founders are also named after people who gave lots of money - they just did it sooner.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2212 on: 01 Apr 2014, 06:25 »

True.

In DC there's a Kogod everything, apparently - theaters, courtyards, professorships, research institutes... UMD has the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, home of the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library and the Leah M. Smith Lecture Hall, and the Robert H. Smith School of Business. 3 guesses where all the money came from.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2213 on: 01 Apr 2014, 06:32 »

Fun related story: Back in the day, Andrew Carnegie was using his fortune from the steel industry to build libraries in every corner of the United States. Typically they ended up being named for him. He offered to build one in my hometown, but the unions, who hated Carnegie, basically ran the town at the time, and they told him to get lost.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2214 on: 01 Apr 2014, 09:34 »

Fun related story: Back in the day, Andrew Carnegie was using his fortune from the steel industry to build libraries in every corner of the United States. Typically they ended up being named for him. He offered to build one in my hometown, but the unions, who hated Carnegie, basically ran the town at the time, and they told him to get lost.

When I visited Guilford College, one of their boasts was that they still had a wing of their library named for Carnegie, one of the last in the country to have a "Carnegie Library."

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2215 on: 03 Apr 2014, 17:14 »

I've graduated, but I am still doing school like projects to fluff out my portfolio.  If you should want to help me with one of these, you could take this annon survey thing: http://ows.io/os/wyh3713p    There is no reward, other than knowing you helped me out.  It should take less than 5 min.  </recruitment>
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2014, 18:48 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2216 on: 04 Apr 2014, 04:30 »

I've graduated, but I am still doing school like projects to fluff out my portfolio.  If you should want to help me with one of these, you could take this annon survey thing: http://ows.io/os/wyh3713p    There is no reward, other than knowing you helped me out.  It should take less than 5 min.  </recruitment>

It is closed. Did it end that night?

Papersatan

« Reply #2217 on: 04 Apr 2014, 14:02 »

It wasn't supposed to, but the system seems to be closing my studies early :/   There is likely to be another one in the net 24 hours though

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2218 on: 05 Apr 2014, 04:47 »

Well I helped satan! :3
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Papersatan

« Reply #2219 on: 05 Apr 2014, 14:53 »

Thanks!

Also, there is indeed another one:

http://bit.ly/1jj1dvL

Please only take it if you did not take the last one.  Thank you all!  (When this one is over I can explain what I am working on)

« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2014, 19:35 by Papersatan »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2220 on: 05 Apr 2014, 14:57 »

That.... uh. Huh. That was unexpected.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2221 on: 08 Apr 2014, 17:11 »

So I just found out that this little liberal arts college that I almost went to, Greensboro College, got it's accreditation probation removed. I know a couple people there so I'm glad their degrees won't be worthless. If I had been there when all that happened I probably would have taken a "get out while I still can" approach and transferred.

The whole situation was kind of stupid because the only SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) criteria they didn't meet involved finances. And while a college should be financially responsible, it would have been wrong to get the school shut down when academically it was fine.

Another small college, Virginia Intermont, is being forced into a merger for the same reason. They had actually made significant improvements, but apparently the progress wasn't fast enough. I take particular issue with this one because the school offered low tuition (lower than some public universities) and generous financial aid, which is important in a region with such low educational attainment. They tried, and they made progress on debt reduction, but SACS is pulling the plug anyway.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2014, 17:22 by 94ssd »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2222 on: 08 Apr 2014, 17:46 »

The cynic in me suggests that the accreditors pulled the plug because if the college had succeeded with a low-tuition high-aid model, it would put pressure on other colleges to do the same, thus reducing profits...

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2223 on: 08 Apr 2014, 21:08 »

SACS is an independent body though, so whether schools lose some profits isn't all that important to them. In fairness, Greensboro did spend itself into a hole because their old president was pretty corrupt, and although I don't know the specifics of the Virginia Intermont case it could well be similar. I think maybe they were too cynical and saw the model as unsustainable, even though it's worked elsewhere (Berea College is the best example of this).

If SACS is going to sanction a college for unsustainable spending, maybe they should look at the school that borrowed hundreds of millions of dollars to build a resort-style campus for rich C-students from New England instead of picking on the school that put trying to better the region over profits. But that's just my opinion.

The current really big accreditation case is at City College of San Francisco, which with 100,000+ students would create quite a problem if their accreditation was removed.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2014, 21:14 by 94ssd »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2224 on: 08 Apr 2014, 21:41 »

I'm too tired to read the whole thing tonight, but I just want to point out that I can't help but read the guy's name as Nidoqueen.  :psyduck:

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2225 on: 09 Apr 2014, 16:39 »

I need to come up with a concept for a musical that is an adaptation of another work and has not been done before. I am at an absolute and complete loss. I've never had this much trouble with ideas.

Everything I like has either already been done, wouldn't work in the musical form, or would be impossible to create on the stage. I actually started on a Spirited Away concept before giving up.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2226 on: 09 Apr 2014, 21:07 »

Fuck it, Spirited Away the improbable musical that would cost $100 million to produce is now conceptualized.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2227 on: 09 Apr 2014, 21:46 »

I love that idea %)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2228 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:24 »

That might still be cheaper (and safer) than the Spidey one.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2229 on: 10 Apr 2014, 10:28 »

Adaptation of another work that hasn't been done? How inappropriate could you get away with?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2230 on: 10 Apr 2014, 10:42 »

This is a professor who faced down every powerful person in Charlotte in order to produce Angels in America with nudity in tact, so I suppose inappropriateness is okay. For clarification it's not being written, we just have to write a concept paper for it (what the design would be like, song subjects, etc.)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2231 on: 11 Apr 2014, 11:36 »

Did much better on my programming midterm than I thought I would and pulled off an A on it.  I'm unfortunately still sitting at an 88% overall grade for the class though, and I think this unit on arrays is going to sink me :(

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2232 on: 11 Apr 2014, 14:49 »

This week I had one class that was held at a bar and two that were held outside. I'd say it's been a pretty good week.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2233 on: 11 Apr 2014, 16:31 »

Did much better on my programming midterm than I thought I would and pulled off an A on it.  I'm unfortunately still sitting at an 88% overall grade for the class though, and I think this unit on arrays is going to sink me :(

As I've always said to everyone, if you need help with programming classes - make a thread, or hit me up on PM.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2234 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:52 »

We got to know our degree show spaces today! The degree show is in the main building of the school, every studio gets turned into a gallery space. Somehow I ended up with the main gallery, which isn't actually a studio, but the biggest room in the building which is usually used for putting on exhibitions with 'real' artists (not students). At first I was like... no big deal, it's just a room like any other and someone has to be there, but then I found out that actually, everyone wants that space and there's lots of competition to get it, and the Head of the Fine Art department personally selects the work that goes in it. So holy crap! People have been congratulating me all day, I feel like I won a competion I didn't know I was participating in.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2235 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:14 »

Well done!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

« Reply #2236 on: 14 Apr 2014, 15:47 »

Thanks! I feel pretty great about stuff now  :-D

Edit:

This is the room I'll be in, eeee so scary and amazing!

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2014, 16:56 by Metope »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2237 on: 15 Apr 2014, 02:12 »

That's a nice room - your stuff will look great in there!

(Much as I'd love to come and see it, that's just not going to happen - sorry.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2238 on: 15 Apr 2014, 05:59 »

Awesome! Congratulations!

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2239 on: 15 Apr 2014, 08:41 »

And just got scores back from my website projects.  100% on both individual and group projects.  Which surprised me because on both sites, my datepicker jquery kept generating a line at the bottom of the page it was on that I could not make go away regardless of what I did for styling, and when I went back and looked at the group site after it was submitted, I saw one of the elements was noticeably out of place...and it was one that appeared on every page of the site, so I was certain a fair amount of points would be knocked off for it.  But no, still got full points.  I can only surmise that the instructor was just burned out after going through tons of other sites the class submitted and was like, "Fuck it, A's for the rest of them".

One utterly random thing I learned during this is that AdBlock will apparently detect whether an element is dedicated to ad space (such as calling something <div id="adspace">) and go ahead and block it, even if no ad has been put there.  Took about an hour and a couple of other people looking at it to figure out why my adspace placeholder wasn't appearing when testing the site on other computers.

Metope

« Reply #2240 on: 15 Apr 2014, 08:42 »

Yayy thanks! And don't worry, I'm not expecting anyone from the internet to travel to see the show. The only people traveling to Glasgow is my close family and a good friend from Norway.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2241 on: 15 Apr 2014, 08:47 »

I volunteer as forum rep to come to your show! Any excuse to leave this rainy country for another rainy country.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2242 on: 15 Apr 2014, 09:45 »

I'm travelling to Glasgow! Admittedly I am travelling to Glasgow next Friday and I assume your exhibition won't be ready yet, but nonetheless!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2243 on: 17 Apr 2014, 17:51 »

Alone in the Fachschaft. In other words: I have a key now. Will go home now, though. No university tomorrow!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2244 on: 28 Apr 2014, 08:16 »

I'm fairly positive I'm going to fail a module for the first time ever. My tutor assured me, or at least said something I interpreted this way, that I had into June because he got me an extension on my deadline. He even talked about me possibly handing things in for August if I was willing to technically have a third year in the course, which would mean paying for another year. Now it turns out that extension only applied to my previous task and I have to get everything in for May 16th.

I basically have two months worth of work each for two modules to do, and I have two weeks to do it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2245 on: 28 Apr 2014, 14:33 »

I'm confused, is a module an entire class?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2246 on: 28 Apr 2014, 14:57 »

Yeah, it's comparable, I think. It's one unit of my course. I have done twelve modules over two years, if that helps explain it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2247 on: 28 Apr 2014, 15:03 »

For the uninitiated, at university level (which I think Welu is at) you generally do six modules a year in the UK. I forget which Ireland Welu is in (sorry) but the ROI has a TOTALLY different system so fuck knows.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2248 on: 28 Apr 2014, 15:07 »

"Norn Eire", I believe.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2249 on: 28 Apr 2014, 15:08 »

Is that like Jane Eyre? Or the Eyrie? :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50   Go Up