THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 08:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 915765 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #1900 on: 03 May 2010, 16:05 »

Oh god oh god I registered for classes at the uni I visited today things are getting official. Sad thing is, I have no idea what kind of financial aid I'm getting. So uh. Yeah.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1901 on: 03 May 2010, 16:19 »

So I was lying in the bath a little while ago, reading (as one does) the Graduale Romanum  (the official plainchant publication of the music for the Catholic Latin mass, from Solesmes) to find a passage from the requiem mass (which I did) - and having done that I just browsed, until I found myself at the Kyrie of Missa 'De Angelis'

When I was a choirboy at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford in the 1950s, on red-letter saints' days, the boys (only) of the choir would get up early and sing mass at 8am entirely to plainchant - most often, but not always, to the setting of Missa 'De Angelis'; to this day, I can do that one from memory - oh, the nostalgia!  (What we did with the food during our unsupervised breakfast on these days is something for another post one day.)

You may now resume normal service.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #1902 on: 03 May 2010, 18:14 »

man, it was hailing like crazy at my house all day, but five minutes away it is nothing but blue sky, fluffy clouds, and unicorn jazz bands.

what the hell, weather?!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1903 on: 03 May 2010, 23:40 »

Weird thing I just found out today while researching family history. Both my father's last name and my mother's maiden name both derive from the word "cauldron" in their respective languages.

Shit like this is why I used to argue that yes, some knowledge can be useless back in private school.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1904 on: 04 May 2010, 00:00 »

I guess I have to man up and dump my girlfriend because we have nothing in common and she likes nickelback. GOOD THING WE DON'T WORK TOGETHER OH WAIT WE DO
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1905 on: 04 May 2010, 00:16 »

I was driving around today and got lost. Passed a sign advertising "Working Jack Russell Terriers". This intrigues me. How do they work? Do other places sell non-working terriers that, instead of jumping around, just fall over?

Do you harness a pack of Jack Russells to your car to help pull you out of a ditch? Or to plow your farmland?

Are they unionized?

I should have stopped and asked, I should have, instead I went off and saw more Doctor Who. I feel like I've accomplished something.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1906 on: 04 May 2010, 01:01 »

Fucking fuck, it's snowing like crazy here and I think we've gotten almost 10 cm at this point. Dammit, I thought it was supposed to be May?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1907 on: 04 May 2010, 01:06 »

How do they work?

Fox hunting (and other animals that go to earth, such as badgers).  Such hunting is now illegal in the UK.  They can also be used for ratting, but that's not their original purpose.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #1908 on: 04 May 2010, 03:26 »

VERY LOUD GABBER MUSIC, CODE THAT IS DUE IN 3 1/2 HOURS, AND REDBULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #1909 on: 04 May 2010, 06:22 »

AUUGGHHHHHHH TWO CHAPTERS OF SPANISH HOMEWORK TO CATCH UP ON
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1910 on: 04 May 2010, 06:50 »

I did not get the baby job :( The lady rang just now and said it was between me and one other girl who had a bit more experience than me, so they took her instead. Back to square one in the job hunt, except now I've only got about four weeks.

On the plus side I'll be here for May Week, which is the massive celebration that exams are over. Also I can now apply for Theatre Camp, where we basically fix up the student theatre and do all the jobs that couldn't be done during the year.

And I managed to miss the first rowing outing this morning, because I was unexpectedly not at home last night and didn't check my emails. I remembered at 3am that I was meant to be rowing in four hours but it didn't seem likely by that point. Oops.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ptommydski

« Reply #1911 on: 04 May 2010, 07:25 »

I did not get the baby job

This could be new slang for not being pregnant.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1912 on: 04 May 2010, 07:41 »

I am pretty sure I'm not pregnant either.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1913 on: 04 May 2010, 07:56 »

Dunno if this goes in my thread or the sober thread or maybe the relationship thread, but I feel.... bloggy.

Last night had a MMFF foursome, with this lesbian I had hooked up with before and this couple. It was gonna just be 3, but then the other guy showed up and I guess the girl felt guilty about it so he came too.

Dude wasn't psyched. I mean he was for a while, I guess, but then his psyche completely dissipated about the time his girl was going down on the lesbian and I was behind her doing various things. He straight up walked out of the room, into the backyard, and just hung out alone for like half an hour. Then he came back and we all tried to go to bed, but his girlfriend was kinda grinding her ass on my naked dick, but when both her and I went to the bathroom at about the same time, she told me that her boyfriend had actually forbidden her from fucking me.

We went back to bed, there was some confusion about who was going to sleep where, but about 2 minutes after everyone getting in bed, they decided to walk home.

At 4:30 in the morning.

Basically fuck a jealous dude, but the lesbian girl is pretty awesome to cuddle with anyway, and the girl said the three of us should do it again sometime while her boyfriend was out of the room. Also this dude is in my class and shit might get awwwwwkward today.

Holla!

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1914 on: 04 May 2010, 08:08 »

I don't know what I just read.

Do you live in a cartoon world? Are you a television ghost?

I am simultaneously jealous and incredulous.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1915 on: 04 May 2010, 08:12 »

Increjealous.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1916 on: 04 May 2010, 08:14 »

Incredibly jealous.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #1917 on: 04 May 2010, 13:48 »

Taking that extra year means losing a bunch of money, since I have to take an extra year of student loans and I lose one year of potential income, but I feel like I need it, and I like being a student, and even though people tell me I'm a girl studying IT, so I shouldn't bother with improving my grades, I think that is a crappy excuse for having poor grades.

Hey - I'm going to start studying IT this autumn (datateknologi @ UIB), so if I'm having trouble getting something, I can shoot you a PM, right? Also, how bad is it that it's a year since I last had maths, and I remember pretty little? I'm good at maths, but if they assume that everyone is up to date with their maths, I'm afraid I'll be struggling from day one.

Also, to all the computer people on the forums, I've started using Microsoft's SmallBasic, just to get a feel for what programming is like. Is that a good starting point? Is there better starting points?

Oh, and before I forget; I'm a friggin RUSS now, yeah! You probably remember back when Jens was doing the same things a year (or two?) ago. It's so awesome!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Metope

« Reply #1918 on: 04 May 2010, 13:52 »

Was Jens a russ? I don't remember that happening. I don't think he was, because he wasn't wearing those pants. I know I wasn't. Being russ is probably way more fun when you live in Bergen or any other city for that matter, in our stupid, tiny hometown and more specifically our awful high school it's just really lame. All I remember from everyone my year being russ was how much drama they went through, how much money they spent and how ridiculously stupid they all were doing it.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1919 on: 04 May 2010, 16:31 »

Taking that extra year means losing a bunch of money, since I have to take an extra year of student loans and I lose one year of potential income, but I feel like I need it, and I like being a student, and even though people tell me I'm a girl studying IT, so I shouldn't bother with improving my grades, I think that is a crappy excuse for having poor grades.

Hey - I'm going to start studying IT this autumn (datateknologi @ UIB), so if I'm having trouble getting something, I can shoot you a PM, right? Also, how bad is it that it's a year since I last had maths, and I remember pretty little? I'm good at maths, but if they assume that everyone is up to date with their maths, I'm afraid I'll be struggling from day one.
Sure you can. I might not be able to answer, but I could try or at least try to guide you in the right direction. I don't know how much maths you have at what I'm assuming is the bachelor program, but from what I can see, you have some intro to maths-thing? I know that at least at NTNU, a couple of the math classes are fairly simple, while the ones you take in the, uhm, sivilingeniør-programs can be pretty tough. The main thing, though, is to work consistently throughout the semester – I had a 6 in maths every semester from 8th grade to the last year of high school, but failed my first math class at uni (I'm in one of the sivilingeniør-programs, datateknikk) simply because I wasn't used to the workload, and I was used to having to do very little to achieve good grades. I'm still struggling to get past that mindset :p However, if you have a fairly decent grasp of maths, then you should be fine. Not everyone starts studying right after high school either, so it's not like you'll be alone in not having had math for a while, and from what I could find on the UIB website, the MAT101 class doesn't look too bad. MAT111 looks a little bit trickier, but that might just be because I don't like a couple of the topics covered.

Also, to all the computer people on the forums, I've started using Microsoft's SmallBasic, just to get a feel for what programming is like. Is that a good starting point? Is there better starting points?
I've never used SmallBasic, so I don't know anything about it, but honestly, a lot of what programming is about, is getting familiar with and learning to think in the right way, and for that, most languages should be fine (PHP is often recommended as something that is easy to get into, and easy to achieve results from quickly, but languages like Python and Java (which is what they use in the intro courses at UIB and NTNU) are also good). Learning about variables, data types, using conditionals (if, switch-case), for and while loops, methods/functions and things like that are the key thing, and if you grasp that, then adjusting to the syntax of a new programming language is the "easy" part. I've been a student assistant in NTNU's equivalence of "Introduction to IT", and the ones who grasp those concepts are the ones who end up not struggling too much, while some people still didn't understand what a variable was after 4 months, and that makes programming slightly tricky.

I'm not sure how well-documented SmallBasic is since I've never used it, but I would definitely choose something well-documented to start with, and this includes things like PHP, Java, Python, C/C#/C++. It just makes things so much easier – we had to work with a programming language called Oz in a class once, and the small amounts of documentation were pretty damn frustrating. It's not a very well-known language (no one I have mentioned it to who haven't taken the class has heard of it), but our lecturer liked it and it was the language used in our book, so we had to use it. I don't think I've ever been that frustrated with a language before.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2010, 16:56 by Ladybug »

Zingoleb

« Reply #1920 on: 04 May 2010, 18:05 »

I've been going through my father's storage!

Found an old word processor, about a half dozen computers, projector lights that appear to be from the 1950's, a Harmony guitar and hundreds upon hundreds of floppy discs he wants me to sort through. Supposedly, he has a mandolin tucked away somewhere - I want it.

I'm now eating chocolate - 90% cocoa - and it is so bitter and so dark and sweet that I can't have more than a couple pieces before it overwhelms me.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1921 on: 04 May 2010, 20:14 »

work, get yelled at, work, smoke, work, crippling headache, barely sleep at all due to lying awake thinking about financial stress
repeat x infinity

ugh
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1922 on: 05 May 2010, 06:36 »

I don't have a lot to blog about at the moment except that the guitars are finally recorded for this EP my band is putting out. We've been together now for 5 years and we're finally getting our shit together. I'm pretty stoked about this but it's still going to be another 2 - 3 months before this thing is finished. Slow and steady I suppose.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1923 on: 05 May 2010, 09:35 »

I got a job at Canadian Tire! I am going to be a part-time bike assembler! The nice bike shops don't want me because they've got their old staff and their old staff's friends, but Canadian Tire will have me and I will be assembling SuperCycles for people who are OK with having mediocre bikes. I am used to Ontario where minimum wage is like $10.50 or something and I was making $12 at my last student job so it is like 'ughhh really you want to pay me $8.45 an hour' but I will be good at it and I will ask them for more later and they pay 'piece-work' for assembly so I'd get $5 a bike and I should be able to whip them together in half an hour in decent shape. Apparently people rush their bikes and cut corners but I do not really want to do that. I will do good work and they will give me a raise because that is how a good capitalism works, right? Right?

In retrospect, I should have talked myself up in the interview a bit and asked for a higher starting wage, I'm sure I could have gotten it. Oh well, it has been a while since I interviewed for such a low-paying job so I guess this is what I get. Next time I'm interviewing for an entry level job for which I am well qualified I will ask for more money because I am worth it, yes.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ptommydski

« Reply #1924 on: 05 May 2010, 09:51 »

I don't think big businesses or franchises can actually tailor their own pay structures so it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

Metope

« Reply #1925 on: 05 May 2010, 10:01 »

Congrats, James!

And wow, speaking of earning less that you're used to, I realized the other day that when (or if) I get a part time job in Glasgow when I move there this fall, I'll be earning about half of what I earn now if I get a job that pays minimum wage. I earn minimum wage here now as well, but minimum wage in the UK and minimum wage in Norway is far from the same thing. My paychecks will be so low! Wah!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1926 on: 05 May 2010, 10:07 »

But so will your living costs (comparatively). Also I've only worked for minimum wage once, and that was when I was 15 (minimum wage when you are fifteen does not cover the cost of the bus ticket to get there). Supermarkets pay more, skilled jobs pay significantly more, it's just a guideline I guess. I was just looking up the minimum wage, actually, and if you provide accommodation you can pay almost £5 less an hour - that's about 80% of the wage to start with! Luckily most people don't do that, or I'd be scuppered for the summer.

I am so sick of applying for jobs and knowing I'll hear back from possibly 5% of them, 90% of them who will say no outright (and, thus far, the rest will interview me and then say no). BLAH. On the upside I have applied for lots of fun jobs and if I get any of them I will be very happy.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1927 on: 05 May 2010, 10:24 »

I finally just quit the Pizza and sub place I've been working at for nearly 4 years and have just gotten hired at Gamestop. Its not very high paying still, but with here I might actually have a chance to become a manager eventually, and its a lot closer then the other place. So I'm reasonably happy, plus I get a discount on vidja games, so I mean, yeah.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1928 on: 05 May 2010, 11:24 »

This all reminds me that I need to talk to my managers soon about switching to part time and working at another store (ours doesn't have/need any part timers) starting in August or I'm going to have to start looking for another job. I like everyone at our three stores, I don't really want to have to leave it if I don't have to. Agh.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1929 on: 05 May 2010, 15:00 »

Early night, 'cos off to the airport bright and early tomorrow.  One of the best things about where I live is that it is just a fifteen-minute walk to the stop for the Heathrow airport bus - no messing around with long-term parking and all that crap.

I was last in New York in c.1978, installing my software (for gamma camera imaging) at the VA Medical Center, Manhattan.  It was January, and there was snow piled up everywhere.  When I arrived, the computer was broken, so I had three days sight-seeing while they got new parts from California; I'll love seeing what has changed (if I recognise anything at all, that is!).

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1930 on: 05 May 2010, 16:52 »

Gonna drink & eat mexican tonight.

Also, smoking one of my best friends' favorite brand of cloves. It would've been her 21st birthday today.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #1931 on: 05 May 2010, 21:53 »

So I got woken up around 3:30 on Sunday night because somebody busted a window out of my car.  Which is kinda lame*.  So I took the cardboard from a TV box and cut it so that there is a picture of clouds, and duct-taped it on.  It was pretty sturdy, I was doing 70mph earlier because I was 40 minutes late for a programming final (mandatory playtest at work)and it didn't budge.  It was a practical, and I aced it.  And my new job is totally wicked.  We get free food and swag all the time, and my department is actually having a cheesecake cook-off soon.  Plus I am making enough to move out, finally.

I'm basically really happy with things at the moment.  I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

*According to the cops there's a dude who sometimes gets bored and decides to knock out people's car windows.  He doesn't steal anything, just breaks the window.  He's been doing it for almost a year on and off, and I'm like the 36th guy, and actually the 3rd incident that night.  It's getting fixed in...7 hours actually. 

shit i gotta go to bed
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1932 on: 06 May 2010, 00:41 »

I'll love seeing what has changed (if I recognise anything at all, that is!).

The thing about new york is that it'll probably all look the same.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1933 on: 06 May 2010, 00:57 »

It's 4 AM and I just realized that I'm living in a Chuck Palahniuk novel fuck

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1934 on: 06 May 2010, 01:10 »

... which one?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1935 on: 06 May 2010, 01:37 »

Civic duty status: fulfilled.
Gym status: been to.
Work status: pending.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1936 on: 06 May 2010, 01:56 »

Diary.

Which I only managed to read about half of because it was getting too depressing for me to go on.

This isn't trying to be "wah look at how bad my life sucks" but just a realization of things going on. It's slightly amusing but also kind of horrifying because you don't even realize how mundane your life is getting to be until you stop and look around, and thankfully it's not even my life, but the lives of everyone I'm caught up in at the moment and I can try and wrestle this problem head-on before it gets to be a problem.

I can change!

I will not go quietly!

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1937 on: 06 May 2010, 09:20 »

i got a bicycle! and it is super cute!

but... the handle for the trunk of my (tiny) car is broken.  so i can't open it.  so i had to squeeze the bike in through the back seat.  and now i can't get it out.

but still.  bicycle!!!

it is summertime, time for ice cream and picnics and biking and driving with the car windows down and road trips and sneaking into hotel rooftop pools.  i am going to ignore all my responsibilities and it's going to be the best summer ever
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #1938 on: 06 May 2010, 13:23 »

yay I weasled my way out of jury duty!

take that, public service! And that! And one of these! ha-HAH! Have at you!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1939 on: 06 May 2010, 13:26 »

i am going to ignore all my responsibilities and it's going to be the best summer ever

Man I wish I was still 16.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1940 on: 06 May 2010, 16:22 »

Who said you had to be 16 and still do that stuff? Because I'm definitely not 16. Neither is Mai. YOU CAN STILL HAVE FUN WHEN YOU'RE OLD(ER), GAWD.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1941 on: 06 May 2010, 16:24 »

Holy crap guys I had never actually considered a Conservative PM as an actual possibility. I'm scared to sleep.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1942 on: 06 May 2010, 19:04 »

this lesbian I had hooked up with before

Someone should probably tell that girl what a lesbian is

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1943 on: 06 May 2010, 19:20 »

lesbian (n): someone who only watches the l word and holmes on homes
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1944 on: 06 May 2010, 20:27 »

lesbianism = dislike of dicks and dickings.
Sure she's not bi or pansexual?

Drag show tomorrow night! One of my friends and I are doing Schadenfreude and then helping everyone else out with crazy costume changes, props, and music. It'll be fun times. This number more so far has been who can make who laugh first, so hopefully neither of us actually laugh on stage.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 20:30 by Linds »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1945 on: 06 May 2010, 20:46 »

There is no need to put everybody in boxes. Gender and identity are personal and subjective. I am a straight male and I will never end up in a relationship with a dude as far as I can see, but I am not exclusively hetero. Life is full of people and people are wonderful and pleasureful and an exception does not break the system.

If you don't want to take that flimsy argument, I mean, it's a threesome. That's the kind of thing that can have a person acting outside of their regular roles.

sean

• welp
« Reply #1946 on: 06 May 2010, 21:38 »

hey blog thread i finished my freshman year of college yesterday, i guess that is pretty cool?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1947 on: 06 May 2010, 21:43 »

Gender and identity are personal and subjective.
That isn't what my church told me.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1948 on: 07 May 2010, 01:51 »

I got a job at Canadian Tire! I am going to be a part-time bike assembler! The nice bike shops don't want me because they've got their old staff and their old staff's friends, but Canadian Tire will have me and I will be assembling SuperCycles for people who are OK with having mediocre bikes. I am used to Ontario where minimum wage is like $10.50 or something and I was making $12 at my last student job so it is like 'ughhh really you want to pay me $8.45 an hour' but I will be good at it and I will ask them for more later and they pay 'piece-work' for assembly so I'd get $5 a bike and I should be able to whip them together in half an hour in decent shape. Apparently people rush their bikes and cut corners but I do not really want to do that. I will do good work and they will give me a raise because that is how a good capitalism works, right? Right?

In retrospect, I should have talked myself up in the interview a bit and asked for a higher starting wage, I'm sure I could have gotten it. Oh well, it has been a while since I interviewed for such a low-paying job so I guess this is what I get. Next time I'm interviewing for an entry level job for which I am well qualified I will ask for more money because I am worth it, yes.

My roommate has this exact same job. Apparently it is pretty easy to put the bikes together in 20 minutes if you try hard at it. Are you also going to be doing repairs? From what I understand that is the worst part.

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1949 on: 07 May 2010, 02:42 »

Life possibly just got a lot more crappy for anyone who doesn't live in Middle England. Urgh.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 81   Go Up