• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Moment Of The Week

Marten's Got A New Belt!
- 8 (13.3%)
Proposition Avoidance Countermeasures (and Sven the Assistant)
- 4 (6.7%)
Hannelore Channels The Old Ones
- 7 (11.7%)
Hannelore Asks Sven Out!
- 20 (33.3%)
DORA is an eldritch horror from beyond time and space!
- 9 (15%)
FONT CHANGE!
- 5 (8.3%)
SPEECH BUBBLE CHANGE!
- 1 (1.7%)
The WORST POSSIBLE GUY... "I'll do it."
- 1 (1.7%)
You have to trust me!
- 1 (1.7%)
If he could get FAYE to put out for him...
- 2 (3.3%)
If she throws herself at him...
- 2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13-17 Sept 2010 (1751-1755)  (Read 105848 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Re: WCDT: 13-17 Sept 2010
« Reply #200 on: 16 Sep 2010, 23:00 »

Jeph tried the hand drawn speech bubbles before and we rejected them then and we'll reject them now.  I feel anger in my anger making place!

Rythe

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #201 on: 16 Sep 2010, 23:27 »

Okay, let's get the fireman shoveling like hell, give this ol' gal a full head of steam, and get to whittlin'. If we're going to have a train wreck, let's have a damn train wreck. <cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagn > WOOT-WHEEERRROOOWOWWW!

-snip-

Can. Not. get. Sound. Out. Of my head. thanks xD

tbh I can't see Sven and Hanners going anywhere, she's already giggled at his sheen and she's still far to deep in her ocd tendencies.

Edit: I didn't notice the speech bubbles till after I came here. I kind of like them.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 23:29 by Rythe »
Popular imagery becomes the accepted standard, and why people aspire to become what isn't real.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #202 on: 16 Sep 2010, 23:34 »

I will definitely have to memorize todays comic.

Thats how you make your characters start a very, very, very bad idea.

That is so obviously bad it just hurts thinking about it.

And they arent even drunk or anything !

P.s.: And I should definitely stop making predictions what happends next. Apparently I've been consistently wrong the whole week.

P.p.s.:
Sven having sex with Hannelore? Don't think there's been a plot twist that off the wall since the series started.
I would have said that before, too, but see my first "postum scriptum".
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 23:37 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #203 on: 17 Sep 2010, 00:12 »

Okay, let's get the fireman shoveling like hell, give this ol' gal a full head of steam, and get to whittlin'. If we're going to have a train wreck, let's have a damn train wreck. <cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagn cthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhu-fhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagncthulhufhtagn > WOOT-WHEEERRROOOWOWWW!

Point of order, Georgia Peaches never, ever, kick arse. If a Georgia Peach is kicking anything, she's kicking some damn-yankee's ass up and down Peachtree Street.
"You say potato, I say potato"
You may say that. A Georgia Peach says 'tater.'

Edit: Technically, she says "p'taytah." Kind of like C'thul—oh my god...you know, that would explain many, many things.

... By the Dreamer...All this time I thought it was heresy against the Great Name, but...I am sorry, brother Tergon. D:

And as to the train wreck: hell fucking yes. Sven, your intentions may be pure and I may like you considerably--possibly more than most of the forums besides JackFaerie--but I want to see this train EXPLODE. I want a poll option that simply reads "THE STARS ARE RIGHT" because that is how completely wrong things are going. Agent Turing will have to come back and order an airstrike on the town.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #204 on: 17 Sep 2010, 00:50 »

Hmmm... I'm not sure about Sven's motives here. To prove he's turned over a new leaf to Dora? Or himself?

"His honour rooted in dishonour stood,
And faith unfaithful kept him falsely true."

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #205 on: 17 Sep 2010, 03:26 »

Let me be the first to congratulate Tergon on his carefully explained insight, and offer an(other) internet as an award for his accurate prediction of this end-of-week spectacle. 

Let the specualtion begin!

Please, please, you don't need to make such a fuss.  I'm not worthy of such a fuss.  Why, in many ways, I'm like just like other people!

Anyway.
Full points to Sven here.  This is, near as I can tell, the first genuinely friendly act he's ever undertaken.  He's been nice before, to help his sister or when he was playing cat-and-mouse with Faye, but if he's being genuine?  If he really truly wants to do this to be nice to Hannelore?  He's actually being a really cool person for this.  And helping work through the trust issues by earning a bit of trust from Dora is just a nice bonus.
Assuming it doesn't all go horribly wrong, of course.

Actually, y'know whose reaction I'm looking forward to?  Winslow.  I mean, he has on occasion been rather possessive of Hannelore... I wonder how he'll feel about her having an actual factual date?
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

CydoniaRaven

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #206 on: 17 Sep 2010, 04:00 »

Hmmm... I'm not sure about Sven's motives here. To prove he's turned over a new leaf to Dora? Or himself?

Or maybe to remind Dora that it isn't her place to say who he can date and who can date him?  Because she sure seems to need that reminder.

In other news, I didn't notice the balloons until I came to the thread, either.  Now I'm diggin' 'em.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 04:06 by CydoniaRaven »

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #207 on: 17 Sep 2010, 04:42 »

I like the new speech bubbles! They seem better integrated into the panels than the old ones.

Oh, and, I highly doubt this will end in a romance between Sven and Hanners - most probably, we'll just get some Hanners-is-cute from her spazzing out about and trying to behave correctly on the date, maybe see some signs Sven has turned over a new leaf. Even if some feelings did develop between them, it's like Sven said - Hannelore is pretty unlikely to "MAGICALLY overcome her crippling anxieties", and he has hopefully become so mature that he would say no if she did.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #208 on: 17 Sep 2010, 04:45 »

Actually, y'know whose reaction I'm looking forward to?  Winslow.  I mean, he has on occasion been rather possessive of Hannelore... I wonder how he'll feel about her having an actual factual date?

Uploads himself into Roboboyfriend and then the shenanigans!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #209 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:00 »

Hmmm... I'm not sure about Sven's motives here. [...]
I think I do. Idiocy. Sheer Idiocy. Nothing but ... !

[...] Why, in many ways, I'm like just like other people! [...]
I ... see.

Full points to Sven here.  This is, near as I can tell, the first genuinely friendly act he's ever undertaken.
Hmm yeah maybe.

That is, maybe its a genuinely friendly act.

It could also be a "I need to proof that" thing.

Actually, y'know whose reaction I'm looking forward to?  Winslow.
... who ?

Just kidding.

What are these bots doing anyway ?

Or maybe to remind Dora that it isn't her place to say who he can date and who can date him?  Because she sure seems to need that reminder.
Hmm no too subtle for Sven. I think.
Carpe Diem

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #210 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:07 »

Hannelore and sex: caught between the biological imperative and the psychological vituperative.

Also: OMG IT IS TOTES HANNERS IN HER WORRY HAT well not really but the juxtaposition of the pose was just too coincidental not to point out.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #211 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:49 »

Hey, check it out. A 13 year old with no talent took over the word balloon duty! Now, not only is everything emphasized by WRITING IN ALL CAPS A LOT, the word balloons themselves are hideous and look as unprofessional as they ever could!

Why the fuck would you take such a huge step backwards? We won't notice the change in a week? It's so god damned glaring, clunky, and just outright ugly, how the fuck could this happen? No, I daresay it'll only get worse. Freeform word balloons never work in things like this, and there's a reason for that. It looks like you're using it to try and absorb as much background space as possible, whereas before the word balloons only took up enough room to fit the text inside. Here, there's large blank spots and it looks fucking terrible.

Jesus Christ. What type of shitty generic-brand drugs did Jeph have to consume to think this was a good idea? Has he been staring at Penny Arcade and going "...Yeah. Yeah! I could do it sorta like that too!"

Well, I hate to say it, but PA's word balloons are shitty as hell right now, too. So what happens when you try copying shit? That's write, you need to hire a repairman because there are turds in the copier.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster
« Reply #212 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:56 »

that's some serious sperging

Tergon

« Reply #213 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:59 »

So... I'm guessing that ChibiSoma isn't completely approving of the changes to the comic's speech bubbles.

I did think the difference was a surprise, but I wouldn't have quite put it like that.  I liked the old way... the new way is a bit strange 'cause it's new but I have no trouble reading it.  On the other hand, that right there... that's kind of vitriolic.

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #214 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:10 »

RAAAAGE
...wow. I didn't know it was possible to get so worked up over word balloons.

Did a hand-drawn word balloon kick your dog or something? Seriously, dude - MST3K mantra.

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #215 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:25 »

Some people live to find things to be indignant about.

Seriously, it's Jeph's art. If he wants to play around with different styles until he likes it, what does it matter to you? I mean I get having an opinion, but being in such a rage about it and being insulting seems like a collossal waste of energy.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #216 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:34 »

For the laughs of course.

Or to advance the plot

Whichever Jeph chooses.

Sven having sex with Hannelore? Don't think there's been a plot twist that off the wall since the series started.
You don't think Sven/Faye was impossible back when it happened?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #217 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:37 »

What would be the result of a Hanners/Sven date?

Nothing, because Dora won't let it happen.    - 3 (4.1%)
A good time, but nothing untoward.    - 11 (15.1%)
Hannelore passing out on Sven's couch.    - 9 (12.3%)
Sven passing out on Hannelore's couch.    - 3 (4.1%)
Both of them passing out on Sven's couch.    - 2 (2.7%)
Both of them nekkid on Sven's couch.    - 7 (9.6%)
Hannelore pregnant with Sven's love child.    - 12 (16.4%)
Cats and dogs, living together.    - 10 (13.7%)
The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)    - 14 (19.2%)
One word: Tasered.    - 2 (2.7%)

Total Voters: 73
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #218 on: 17 Sep 2010, 07:15 »

Now, show us on this doll where hand-drawn word balloons touched you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

someone1074

« Reply #219 on: 17 Sep 2010, 07:20 »

You don't think Sven/Faye was impossible back when it happened?

I thought it was surprising, but not impossible. Faye is at least a sexual being (fighting her attraction for Marten, among other things). The Faye and Sven pairing also conforms to common pairings in life and other media. The pseudo-intellectual tough girl that actually has feelings getting with the asshole and becoming heartbroken? It happens all the time.

Sven and Hannelore...just with Jeph's comments on Hannelore's sexuality alone, it wouldn't make sense to me.

Tergon

« Reply #220 on: 17 Sep 2010, 07:39 »

But again, she's clearly not asexual.  She has what she refers to as a "cute boy reflex", she finds guys to be good looking, she likes Yaoi, and she's inquisitive enough to ask questions all the time about sex, relationships, and all manner of other things.  She's psychologically unable to have a romantic or sexual relationship with another person, for a wide variety of reasons, but she very clearly wants to be able to.  She's outright said as much.  All she needs is a way to remove those crippling inhibitions, and a presentable non-threatening person within range.

I'm not saying it wouldn't take a string of coincidence and wacky twists worthy of an M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie.  So, rather than turn this into a wall post by repeating myself from earlier in this thread, I'll simply point out that it is absolutely very possible.  Horrifyingly traumatic for her, disastrous for everyone involved, heartbreaking for her friends... but one hundred percent possible.

EDIT:
Clarified some things, fixed spellings.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 07:41 by Tergon »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #221 on: 17 Sep 2010, 07:47 »

Way to be foccussed on the superficiailities rather than the meat of the actual story so far folks (referring to the poll results where the FONT CHANGE is considered the most significant thing of the week) -

Time to get back into my rocking chair and get into a good grumble.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

someone1074

« Reply #222 on: 17 Sep 2010, 08:11 »

Tergon, I'm also considering the consistency of Jeph's writing in my posts. I expect at some point down the line Hannelore will be with someone. But it probably won't be Sven (unless this date goes well, and if that's the case I still feel it would take a long time afterward). I agree with your analysis of Hannelore's characterization though. The implication in my post that Hannelore is not a sexual being was unintentional.

What I refer to as impossible is just her having sex with him as of next week. I just feel it would be too far out of line with how the two characters have been written up to this point. Again, considering Jeph's writing. But on that matter I suppose we'll agree to disagree.

Thorbard

« Reply #223 on: 17 Sep 2010, 08:21 »

The font change is no big deal, but I think the new word balloons are a bigger problem. Jeph has tried them before and it didn't work then either. Maybe if he constrained the text to better fill the balloons? I'm fairly sure you can tell the text to do that, although I've not done it in Illustrator (which I think Jeph uses for the text).

I'd actually go as far as to say that the new font would suit the old bubbles better. But the bubbles lasted maybe a week last time Jeph tried it? So not too worried there.

As for Sven/Hanners I think its a good thing. I don't suppose they'll get it on, but it'll be a good step on for both of them. And if they do end up together-together (in a together sort of a sense) I can see the relationship working at least as well as Faye/Angus.

Most of all, I just generally like Sven. Especially when he's trying to do the right thing.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #224 on: 17 Sep 2010, 08:48 »

Poll: the Face! Sven's face in #1752. That's the MOTW. ('Cause we gots to have a stupid acronym for it). I suppose I'll have to make do with "Proposition Avoidance Countermeasures!"

As for balloons, I think Jeph was having a hard time keeping Sven's balloon in the fourth panel from looming over the space needed to frame Dora's head/face, or, if he avoided that, from mashing up against Hanners' balloon (It looks to me as though the usual rectangular oblong would've done either one or the other with that amount of text, especially giving the word length (Sven, you polysyllabic devil, you). Plus, to make the dialogue flow, there was nowhere else to put them. As is, Sven's speech had to edge into the panel above. So Jeph said, "Fuck it!*" and drew 'em in.

Or else he got bored. Dude has to try new stuff now and then. Either way, my FTL's remain untwisted. Let us know ya don't like and move on. Save the shit-fits for things that merit them—you know, like couple portmanteaus. Spawn of evil most foul are they, spewed from the dep

*Ahem*

*I've heard he actually talks like that.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 08:53 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #225 on: 17 Sep 2010, 09:46 »

Hannelore asking Sven out (even if only pretend), Sven being the bigger person & gentleman (or at least trying), font changes...

1. Goes to show: when you touch upon The Cthulhu Mythos, even in jest, it changes you...

2. Wonder if Arkham Asylum will allow Dora to serve her coffees while staying there from all of recent events?

3. As for the new font, I do not like or dis-like it.  I do think it needs to be a bit smaller, otherwise the comics are going to get very crowded, or the cast is going to have to talk less or in shorthand (Faye: wtf u had sex w/Sven, Hnrs?  Sven: stfu, she had sex w/me!  Hanners: all ur Sven belong to H E-C) [P.S. Edit Add: and it hurt my brain and typing fingers to "translate" that "down"... :cry: ]
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 09:58 by pendrake »

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #226 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:05 »

I definitely go for Doras moment.

I nearly died laughing. :D

Second place was Svens first "attempt" at the question. :D
Carpe Diem

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #227 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:14 »

Hehehe I noticed the change of the word ballons just after I read the rage-post.

I have to agree withthe post though, it looks like shit... Then again, that's just my opinion and I don't need to make a huge post about it. :)

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #228 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:22 »

Hm... why does "Hannelore the Man-Eater" suddenly seem like a possibility?

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #229 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:39 »

2. Wonder if Arkham Asylum will allow Dora to serve her coffees while staying there from all of recent events?

Do Joker and the lads need a caffeine fix?

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #230 on: 17 Sep 2010, 12:46 »

You know, we've seen repeated evidence that Sven is a changed man, yet people insist on sumping on him.  Why is it so unbelieveable that he might just be interested in doing something nice for Hannelore?  Why is it so unbelieveable that he might enjoy taking her out (again, since she went along to karaoke with him once before)?

I think Sven deserves a break.  Benefit of the doubt and all that.  It sure must sting having FAMILY constantly implying you're a creep.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #231 on: 17 Sep 2010, 13:43 »

Family is usually the last to acknowledge that you've changed.  Remember, they all knew you from when you were little! 

Edit: Damn, now I want to see pictures of a little Dora, toddling along with a 5 year old Sven holding her hand...  the image is so sickly sweet, I'm turning diabetic as I type...
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 13:46 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #232 on: 17 Sep 2010, 13:52 »

Mojo,  I think you missed the point Seven was making. It's not simply that Dora thinks he's been a creep—Sven knows he's been a creep. Otherwise, why would he have to 'live up to that trust'? Not to mention telling Marten not to send any girls his way.

Sure Sven gets point for squiring Hanners, if he follows through, vocal utterances being as inexpensive as they are. But I suspect Sven's going to find this swamp he's made is not as easy to drain as he'd like*. Creep's got to roll up his sleeves and start digging.  :-D

*To be fair, I doubt, at least a few weeks (months, how long has it been since Faye and Sven went to hell?) ago, that anything could be as easy as Sven would like it. Man couldn't even take his medicine from the blonde in that bar.

Edit: and if we're giving Bianchis points, howzabout some for Dora for not going psycho? (If she continues to manage to remain calm, that is). I mean, sure she channeled an eldritch horror, but it could've been worse. All it could do would be to take their sanity and souls. Dora's been know to hit people.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 13:58 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Nightson

« Reply #233 on: 17 Sep 2010, 14:00 »

You know, we've seen repeated evidence that Sven is a changed man, yet people insist on sumping on him.  Why is it so unbelieveable that he might just be interested in doing something nice for Hannelore?  Why is it so unbelieveable that he might enjoy taking her out (again, since she went along to karaoke with him once before)?

I think Sven deserves a break.  Benefit of the doubt and all that.  It sure must sting having FAMILY constantly implying you're a creep.

People project.  A lot.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #234 on: 17 Sep 2010, 14:29 »

Could everyone who has their underwear up their cracks about the speech bubbles/typeface do me a favor and tell me which would piss them off more, someone saying they like the new style, or someone saying they noticed it and they don't give a shit, cause that's the response that I'm going to go with.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #235 on: 17 Sep 2010, 15:35 »

I am still giggling furiously.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #236 on: 17 Sep 2010, 16:03 »

As much as I enjoyed all the Cthulhu-invoking and Sven's "god dammit" face, the MOTW for me was still Marten wearing the Hello Kitty belt.  ^_^  Who knows, perhaps it has a built-in Cthulhu-repellant.

Regarding today's strip, Sven has a point.  It would give Dora, Hanners, and him all the opportunity for personal growth if he goes out on a pretend date with Hannelore.  He's been basically celibate for awhile anyway, and he seems to like Hanners in the "aw, she's a cute kid" sorta way.  He may have the roundest heels of everyone in the strip (my husband's phrasing, actually -- means most likely to fall into bed with someone), with Tai a close second at least, but he's been deliberately taking a break, something he had intended to embark on before the whole Faye thing.  For her part, Dora does need to learn to trust more, and since her trust was broken in part by Sven before, it makes sense to repair things there.  And Hanners is continuing to push her boundaries and become more acclimated with things that less-impaired people take for granted.  I don't think they're gonna bone, but of course now that I've typed that they probably will.  >_>

I too would like to see Winslow's reaction.  Partially because he has been possessive before, but mostly because I like Winslow.  Wonder what the Cthulhu-summoning will look like in binary . . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #237 on: 17 Sep 2010, 16:23 »

10! 10! 10 011101001 1010001 011010 001011110100101010  010101101010010010100110101 2
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #238 on: 17 Sep 2010, 16:24 »

Sure Sven gets point for squiring Hanners, if he follows through, vocal utterances being as inexpensive as they are. But I suspect Sven's going to find this swamp he's made is not as easy to drain as he'd like*. Creep's got to roll up his sleeves and start digging.  :-D

*To be fair, I doubt, at least a few weeks (months, how long has it been since Faye and Sven went to hell?) ago, that anything could be as easy as Sven would like it. Man couldn't even take his medicine from the blonde in that bar.
Yes, Sven will no doubt find that, unlike everything in his life so far, redemption does not come easily. Indeed the truly penitent do not want it to come easily, being far harder on themselves than any judge could ever be.

Family, to paraphrase Robert Frost, is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in. Such a burden earns certain privileges.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tergon

« Reply #239 on: 17 Sep 2010, 18:15 »

Tergon, I'm also considering the consistency of Jeph's writing in my posts. I expect at some point down the line Hannelore will be with someone.
*snip*
What I refer to as impossible is just her having sex with him as of next week. I just feel it would be too far out of line with how the two characters have been written up to this point. Again, considering Jeph's writing. But on that matter I suppose we'll agree to disagree.

No, I definitely see your point.  All I could argue is that Hannelore is the only character in QC who isn't consistent.  Her first appearance she was mysterious confident lady-in-the-bar, then she became creepy stalker, then she became cute girl with OCD, and now she ranges between Little Miss Curiosity, Little Miss Overtly Crazy, and Little Miss Normal.  As well as occasionally passing out, threatening to kill people, or even displaying how much she genuinely enjoys fucking with Faye's head.  Wrap that girl outside a bottle of booze, throw in a random mood-swing...

But yeah, in truth I'm not seeing it as likely, either.  Merely frighteningly possible.

Far more likely is that the two of them will surprise themselves by having a genuinely good time.  Sven's testing himself here by showing a nice time to a girl he seems fond of in a completely platonic way, and who he genuinely understands he cannot flirt with - the one time he tried to show off how sexy he was, Hanners literally laughed in his face.  So if he wants to be nice to Hanners, he has to, y'know, actually be nice to Hanners.  I think he'll like having a night of being a normal, social being with someone who's obviously easy to get along with.  And he does have it in him to show Hanners a good time.

Besides, she's so adorable!  One thing that nobody can deny is that a girl like Hannelore triggers a very powerful big-brother instinct in a lot of guys.  Not meaning overtly nutty ones, I mean innocent little shy things like her.  If Sven is seeing Hannelore as not a sex object, then it's going to trigger those big-brother instincts we already know he has.  Assuming the date doesn't end in unexpected nekkid shenanigans (which I hope to hell it does not), they might actually wind up pretty good friends after this.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #240 on: 17 Sep 2010, 18:23 »

Or maybe to remind Dora that it isn't her place to say who he can date and who can date him?  Because she sure seems to need that reminder.

Yes, too controlling.  :x

Quote from: Border Reiver
Uploads himself into Roboboyfriend and then the shenanigans!

Yeah! Bring back Hanners' roboyfriend, insert Winslow, let battle ensue!  Maybe a little Helen of Troy in Hanners, too..?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2010, 18:39 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #241 on: 17 Sep 2010, 18:48 »

Sven will mate with Hanners and their spawn will bring about the end of the world.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #242 on: 17 Sep 2010, 19:40 »

By the way, Tergon: If any company were to eventually make the UBMEOD, this place might have it.
Just another Joe like 46

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #243 on: 17 Sep 2010, 21:00 »

Yeah, souffle pan

Check the title.

Dammit, I didn't notice the speech bubbles until you guys pointed it out.  I don't like them or the new font as much as the originals, but meh, I'll get used to them.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #244 on: 17 Sep 2010, 21:20 »

You mean you are going to take Jeph's word over Faye's?
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

someone1074

« Reply #245 on: 17 Sep 2010, 21:37 »

*snip*

Completely agreed. If you see one of my earlier posts in the topic, I mentioned that I hope and expect that the date will turn out well. Seems like too good of an opportunity for personal growth on both their parts for it to go too badly. And they both seem genuinely willing too.

Certainly, it'll be entertaining at least.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #246 on: 17 Sep 2010, 22:48 »

It could certainly turn out well, but Jeph isn't usually that kind to his characters.

Sven's motives? In the past, he took every date as a challenge to get the girl in bed so he could live up (or down) to his reputation. Maybe a "date" where sex is out of the question is exactly what he wants or needs.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #247 on: 17 Sep 2010, 23:54 »

To boldly go where no Sven has gone before...

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #248 on: 18 Sep 2010, 09:42 »

You mean you are going to take Jeph's word over Faye's?

Well...yes.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #249 on: 18 Sep 2010, 12:26 »

Considering it's definitely not  a souffle pan, I would take Jeph's word for it as well. 

I think in the heat of the moment, Faye meant to say saute pan, which is more like what it is, and grabbed the wrong word from her speech cortex.  Souffle pans (usually cale souffle dishes) have tall, straight sides and are usually ceramic.  Saute pans are... well, skillets.  Frying pans.  All pretty much the same design. 

Potatoe / potato, really. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up