Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445557 times)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #600 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:00 »

- only people she views as soulless flesh dildoes like Angus and Sven.

You know, this is kind of an interesting way to sum up the relationships Faye has been in, and makes me wish it weren't in such a trolling and/or sociopathic post.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #601 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:01 »

Comic inbound

*edit*

BOURBON ALERT! BOURBON ALERT!

This is not a drill!
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 21:03 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

PenguinNinja1408

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #602 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:02 »

Read newest comic.

Conclusion: THEY HAVE SEX

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #603 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:03 »

Dang, Marten. Good for him to admit that though. Baby steps.

Glad to hear Dora is gonna talk to Sven, it may very well just be the best thing she can do.

Not too sure Faye is making the best choice here.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #604 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:04 »

Should prolly break out the emergency gin, the emergency vodka, and the emergency whisky while you're at it. I got a feeling this one's gonna be a long and protracted fight.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #605 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:05 »

Dang, Marten. Good for him to admit that though. Baby steps.

Glad to hear Dora is gonna talk to Sven, it may very well just be the best thing she can do.

Not too sure Faye is making the best choice here.
Actually I think Faye has the best idea here. At least it's not Old Cancer Mule.
Quis pater tibi est?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #606 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:06 »

Traditionally the cliffhanger is on Friday. This is all just the buildup in that case.

Faye is not butting in. That would probably make things worse.

One group of researchers into marriage dynamics concluded that as long as there were enough positive interactions (they even published a target ratio of positive to negative interactions!), then relationships could survive anything except contempt.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #607 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:07 »

Well....huh. Good for Marten?
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #608 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:09 »

That bottle's nearly full.  Has she been saving it for this very occasion?  If they break up, the ensuing he said/she said maelstrom in which Faye finds herself could send her back to alky-town.  Or she murders them both.

akronnick

« Reply #609 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:10 »

Traditionally the cliffhanger is on Friday. This is all just the buildup in that case.

Faye is not butting in. That would probably make things worse.

One group of researchers into marriage dynamics concluded that as long as there were enough positive interactions (they even published a target ratio of positive to negative interactions!), then relationships could survive anything except contempt.

Remember folks, Thanksgiving is next week, we might get a mini-cliffhangar Friday, followed on Wednesday by a HUGE cliffhanger before the annual OMG Turkeys and maybe a Yelling Bird or Guest strip.

Also, Jeph Already has this week's strips pre-scripted.

In other words, hold on to your butts!(LOL not included!)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

sirisaacnuton

• Plantmonster
« Reply #610 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:11 »

Edit:  Ha ha ha...I think I skimmed over your last paragraph without reading it.  Clearly I've just fallen victim to a troll...well played, sir.  I suppose my retort is moot.

What worries me more is that he might just be a new user and actually serious ):

I choose to believe that's not the case.  Because, well damn.

Also, Marten's summation of the fight was interesting.  Admitting that he was the one who got mad, and also that he went overboard on what he said, but sticking with his indignation and showing even clearer signs of how much he's been repressing his feelings and has had resentment growing.

Can I change my vote to this is the end for Darten?

andiyar

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • warrior-poet
« Reply #611 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:14 »

Perhaps a nail in the coffin, the argument will prove to be. Interesting to see Marten being so obviously bitter, as Faye points out, and even more interesting to have him admit the fact.

I won't psychoanalyse the boy as it's taken me far too long to even catch up on this thread, which finally prompted me to bother actually registering for an account here. All I can say is - interesting times, poor people.

-Andiyar
"any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #612 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:16 »

You all were right on the money when you predicted that Dora would end up at Sven's. I suppose I'll take my crack at trying to look all cool by providing my own psychoanalysis on this.

Let's look at what Dora didn't do here just now. She called Faye and said she was going over to Sven's. What she didn't do was break down and try to tell Faye some construed sob story about how Marten was an irrational prick, or manipulate her. Looks like at the very least, she's aware that she fucked up, and if anything, hopefully the advice she seeks from Sven would be how to make it up to Marten, rather than venting about his attitude and what a jerk he was.

Additionally, I am concerned about Faye going for the bourbon. She has been known in the past to "self-medicate" when it came to issues like this, and it's all too easy at this point to lapse back into bad habits. It'd also be interesting to see her in another session with Dr. Corrine, and this time, rather than the central focus being her past upbringing, jealousy over Dora/Marten, and then her love life, the focus is instead seeing her two best friends come close to falling apart.

And I suppose I'll hop another trend set here...

"The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #613 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:17 »

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Yeah, I have, not much else to say... other than that Yeah, Yeah I am needed dramatic music as he walked out in slow motion to the beginning of a random action movie moment...

I think I'm going to start taking this thread less seriously.

:-D

Plus Psyduck because he is awesome  :psyduck:

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #614 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:17 »

Faye: "Bitter much?"
Marten: "Yeah... yeah, I am."

Keep on truckin' Marten.  8-)
I had something witty to put down here but.....

akronnick

« Reply #615 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:20 »

13 pages by Sunday *slaps five on table*

Thank you, thank you very much.
*collects winnings*

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #616 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:25 »

Yeah, hey, all you Dora+Marten4Evah people - does that sound like a man who is genuinely in love with a woman?

The answer is no. No it does not. He's sick of her shit, but knows she's not fucking mature enough to end the fight of her own accord, so he has to fuckin' do it FOR her. Despite the fact that, as he correctly points out, the whole thing was her god damn fault to begin with. Yeah, it sounds like true love when you have to babysit your girlfriend.

The nail in the coffin would like to be hammered in now.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #617 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:25 »

I doubt Faye's gonna hog all the emergency bourbon for herself, I'm guessing she's gonna take it home with her after she closes up the shop and talk it out with Marty while he drowns his sorrows.

I really hope Marten isn't planning on going over to Sven's to confront Dora now, that would be bad. Normally I wouldn't think he'd be dumb enough to do something like that, but he's not in a great state of mind right now.

Also, yay for Dora going to Sven's! Can't wait to see what happens now!
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #618 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

I doubt Faye's gonna hog all the emergency bourbon for herself, I'm guessing she's gonna take it home with her after she closes up the shop and talk it out with Marty while he drowns his sorrows.

I really hope Marten isn't planning on going over to Sven's to confront Dora now, that would be bad. Normally I wouldn't think he'd be dumb enough to do something like that, but he's not in a great state of mind right now.

Agreed. I hope that's him trudging back home with Faye and medicine in tow, as opposed to him trudging over to Sven's to smooth things over.
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #619 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

PREDICTION TIME!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dora goes to Sven's and basically has a meltdown. She's angry at Marten for exploding, angry at herself for starting the situation, petrified over losing the first and only good guy on her life, and so on. She just breaks down. I can tell you from experience that when confronted with said situation, a big brother shifts instantly into "Protect my sister" mode. Sven will try to calm her down, and then Marten shows up at the door, still moody. He asks to see Dora, at which point Sven tells Marten to leave. Marten will protest until Sven basically puts his foot down and tells Marten what has been wrought, and to just leave before he makes things worse. Cue a week or so of Marten and Dora talking to different people and trying to decide what they want to do about the relationship. When they do finally meet again... it will be the critical moment in which they either break up, or stay together.

PREDICTION TIME!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

13 pages by Sunday *slaps five on table*

Thank you, thank you very much.
*collects winnings*

*Throws wallet on the table*
Cheating bastard....

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #620 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:31 »

Yeah, hey, all you Dora+Marten4Evah people - does that sound like a man who is genuinely in love with a woman?

Uh, yeah, I've been bitter about things in relations with people I was in love with. Love doesn't fix things magically bro. And you can still be in love with someone who has problems, even major ones that piss you off.

I'm not really rooting for or against the idea of them breaking up... but your logic here doesn't hold water.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #621 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:36 »

The answer is no. No it does not. He's sick of her shit, but knows she's not fucking mature enough to end the fight of her own accord, so he has to fuckin' do it FOR her. Despite the fact that, as he correctly points out, the whole thing was her god damn fault to begin with. Yeah, it sounds like true love when you have to babysit your girlfriend.

muffin_of_chaos likes this. :mrgreen:

Though I think you are probably not completely right about the generalization, I know many people like this, people who convince themselves that they love someone more than they do.

Uh, yeah, I've been bitter about things in relations with people I was in love with. Love doesn't fix things magically bro. And you can still be in love with someone who has problems, even major ones that piss you off.

I'm not really rooting for or against the idea of them breaking up... but your logic here doesn't hold water.

Define "in love" for me.  Because I think that's a sticking point in this particular argument.

akronnick

« Reply #622 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:37 »

In my experience, you can only get that man at someone who you are truly in love with.

And Marten says he intends to smooth things over.

Of course whether that is a wise course of action remains to be seen.

It really depends on what each of them really wants at this point, but I don't think either of them want to break up, but, the way things are going, they may not be able to avoid it.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #623 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:37 »

Anyone else notice that when Dora and Marten are fighting, the comics get posted like...really early?  Or is it just me?

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #624 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:43 »

Comic inbound

*edit*

BOURBON ALERT! BOURBON ALERT!

This is not a drill!
Not just bourbon. If my eyes do not deceive me, that's Midnight Hobo Faye's pulling out. Is it for her, or to give Marten some Dutch courage? (No offense to anyone reading who's actually Dutch.)
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 21:45 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

jeanramone

• Not quite a lurker
  • The Holy Roman Empire rules for you.
« Reply #625 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:43 »

Looks like things are getting interesting!!

But I'm sure this will all resolve in Dora admitting her wrongs and seeking help, with Marten and Dora staying together.  :psyduck:

I still hope they break up though, this comic needs a bit of a shake-up I think.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.
« Reply #626 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:44 »

I've experienced this one to my sorrow. Loving someone does not automagically fix a person. What often happens is the unresolved issues keep cropping up and eating away at you until you get overwhelmed by it and can't stand it anymore.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #627 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:47 »

I may be the last prohibitionist, but damn if that emergency bourbon doesn't make a fine gag.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #628 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:49 »

Despite what the Captain and Tennille say, love will not keep us together.

On a another note, he changed the art just a tiny bit and I love it! That's a great from-behind drawing of Marten in the second to last panel, and he's doing more subtle things to the hair too. Nice.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

« Reply #629 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:49 »

Not just bourbon. If my eyes do not deceive me, that's Midnight Hobo Faye's pulling out. Is it for her, or to give Marten some Dutch courage? (No offense to anyone reading who's actually Dutch.)

Shit.

Just.

Got.

Real.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #630 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:50 »

If I were Faye I'd want some Midnight Hobo too. No matter how this goes, you just know Faye's gonna have to deal with the fallout. Might as well have one good night before you catch the drama.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #631 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:52 »

Don't forget Marigold!

She's a sweet, intelligent shut-in who could use a good, solid relationship, and needs someone who is patient, kind and tolerant.

Marten would be just the guy!

Or Tai. But she's not a guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But anywho, seriously- what would be so horrible about Marten and Marigold? They're both fundamentally good people, they both deserve some happiness, and they're both patient enough to not fly off the handle at the slightest offense.

Marten is a semipopular hipster dude. He has noooooooo fucking clue how to deal with obsessive, unsocialized nerd girls. No fucking clue in Hell. And he, with the issues that people have pointed out quite adroitly, would end up ruining Marigold within the first week. Or at least that's my read of that ship, that and Marten ain't attracted to the submissive type that Marigold seems to be. He likes powerful women, or he wouldn't have gone for Dora or Faye.

Also wow 13 pages and holy fucking wow this is getting too intense.

I wonder if Marten has actually been obsessed with Faye this entire time? I wonder if he was lying to Dora for, well, most of their relationship?

I wonder if he's going to try for something with her? And how badly that will turn out?

Aaaaaaalso despite my defense of Dora, yes, girl needs to actually act on what she's saying. She said she'd try, and she goes right back around and does some stupid self-sabotaging shit, even if Marten is a spineless ass who gives mixed signals more than a confused tugboat trying to Morse code the Gettysburg address, and that's not okay. Sven needs to get real with his sister. And someone should put shit in perspective for Marten, too, before he goes and fucks this up.

Bitterness and jealousy are death in a relationship, so dogg is cruisin' for a bruisin'
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

sirisaacnuton

• Plantmonster
« Reply #632 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:52 »

I still hope they break up though, this comic needs a bit of a shake-up I think.

Psyduck concurs  :psyduck:

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #633 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:54 »

You don't put it someplace obvious like My Documents/My Pictures...
Why not? That might have been true when I was younger, or when I used a shared computer... but not anymore. There are two people who might ever use this computer, me and my girlfriend. She knows I watch porn, and isn't really interested in checking out what I watch. I don't see any reason not to keep it in a folder clearly marked "porn". You know, just like I keep my other files in folders clearly marked with the contents.

Today's strip has left me with decidedly mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm glad that Marten went to see Faye about this since she's his best friend. On the other, I'm sort of worried that Marten seems to have accepted the idea that he will reconcile with Dora no matter what. That would appear to spell disaster for my agenda. I don't even care if there's some chance they could work out their issues and have an uneventful (I did not say happy...) relationship. I just want them to split up so Marten has the chance to pursue a relationship with someone who deserves him.

I'm also a bit cross with myself for letting this comic matter so damn much. The format limits the pace of plot development such that it could be weeks or even months before I really get to know how this turns out, and I'm already on the edge of my seat. I don't particularly want to live in perpetual squeaky bum time for the next month while this resolves... in some ways I'd really like to be distracted from it for a good long while until the crisis is over.

You see, despite everything I said earlier about having accepted that Marten/Faye (Fayten? Martye?) is probably a pairing we'll never see, I can't help but allow myself a glimmer of hope. Damned if I can understand why this should be so important to me. I would like to imagine QC as a great romantic comedy, in which the One True Pairing  go through many trials and tribulations before finally being allowed their blissful moment of union, but increasingly I realise that QC is more just one big long exercise in Ship Tease and Will They Or Won't They.

I have nothing against Angus as a character. He's a reasonably nice guy, and he's probably good for Faye... but she has such a connection with Marten that her relationship with Angus seems a trifle shallow by comparison. The thing about Toto is surely a red herring - they have that one thing, does that really stack up against everything that Faye and Marten have? The same could be said (only far more so) about Marten and Dora.

I can't help being a Fayten shipper. It's what really kept me reading the comic... Marten and Faye both as friends and as a potential pairing. Other characters have grown on me, but I still see it as being their story.

HOLY SHIT 12 NEW REPLIES WHILE TYPING.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:00 by Soluzar »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #634 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:56 »

If I were Faye I'd want some Midnight Hobo too. No matter how this goes, you just know Faye's gonna have to deal with the fallout. Might as well have one good night before you catch the drama.

Shit, I was Faye I would take that fifth, head to Angus', and move into his room for the next week. I mean, sorry Mar-bear, but I would not wish this kind of drama on anyone ever or even for it to show up in their radius of friendships. This is nuclear drama.

In point of fact, pretty much the entire cast needs to move into bunkers for a while until Dora and Marten have sorted this and decided what they're going to do.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 21:58 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #635 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:56 »

Don't forget that it's not up to us to decide what the comic needs, or is going to get.
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #636 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:59 »

THANK GOD I got here before this got to 20 more pages.
...the fact I care enough about that to be happy is a testament to something. I just have no idea what, and I think it's nothing good.

I'm still digesting but:
Dora to Sven's - called it!

I love you Faye. I think this calls for Emergency Gin too, personally.
Also I keep envisioning this COP-esque escalating fight on Sven's front porch with Dona in a tube top and bike shorts and Marten sporting a non-ironic mullet-trucker-cap.
And it's amusing me way way more than it should.

::Marten on the ground being cuffed:: Y'ALL AIN'T FIT!
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #637 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:01 »

On the one hand, I'm glad that Marten went to see Faye about this since she's his best friend.

I think Marten went to CoD to see Dora.
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

sirisaacnuton

• Plantmonster
« Reply #638 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:02 »

I wonder if Marten has actually been obsessed with Faye this entire time? I wonder if he was lying to Dora for, well, most of their relationship?

I wondered that too when I remembered this comic http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1328

That was quite a ways back, before any of the most recent shenanigans, and he definitely looks unhappy.  The fact that he's laying in the exact same pose and everything as Faye in the next panel might speak to what they're pining about.  But I don't think Marten has been lying all this time.  Maybe holding a candle, possibly without being honest with himself about it.  He hasn't been just playing Dora or leading her own, but yeah, I think there's been something there all along.

Now as to whether Faye would reciprocate at this point, who knows?  

Don't forget that it's not up to us to decide what the comic needs, or is going to get.

I think it's well within the bounds of being a fan of something to have an opinion of the direction we hope it takes.  

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #639 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:03 »

On the one hand, I'm glad that Marten went to see Faye about this since she's his best friend.

Probably you're right, but still... I'm glad it turned out that he got to see his best friend at a time like this. She is what he needs, in every sense of the word.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #640 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:04 »

man, put a fork in this relationship, 'cause it is fucking DONE.

Once you've realized that your 'S.O.' is an immature ass with no interest in changing, there's nothing left but the shouting.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #641 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:06 »

Also I keep envisioning this COP-esque escalating fight on Sven's front porch with Dona in a tube top and bike shorts and Marten sporting a non-ironic mullet-trucker-cap.

Listen up Jeph, I would pay you cash money for this to happen in the comic. CASH MONEY! Think about it.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #642 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:08 »

Probably you're right, but still... I'm glad it turned out that he got to see his best friend at a time like this. She is what he needs, in every sense of the word.

I think that, at this point in time in the QC-world, Marten/Faye would be The Mother Of Awkward. Also, I think QC would jump the shark big time if that would happen now. Bitterness would ensue.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #643 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:09 »

Coffee_Kaioken: I'm worried about Faye too. Drinking at work is not a sign that you're under control.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #644 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:09 »

I really don't think almost anyone here is suggesting that Jeph shouldn't have total and utter control over the plot of his comic.  People express their interest in particular possible outcomes in various ways, but always because the comic provoked a reaction that they want to share with other fans.  Even most complaints are subtle praise, and the vast majority of posters are not expecting Jeph to care a bit about what they have to say, and would probably say much less if they thought he did.

Discussing what's happening and what we hope might happen is just a way of engaging with the subject matter, intellectually and/or interpersonally, because it's not like we can actually talk to Jeph or should be able to.  Guy seems to take the forums more seriously than I would expect.  :psyduck:

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #645 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:09 »

That was quite a ways back, before any of the most recent shenanigans, and he definitely looks unhappy.  The fact that he's laying in the exact same pose and everything as Faye in the next panel might speak to what they're pining about.  But I don't think Marten has been lying all this time.  Maybe holding a candle, possibly without being honest with himself about it.  He hasn't been just playing Dora or leading her own, but yeah, I think there's been something there all along.

Now as to whether Faye would reciprocate at this point, who knows?  
I'm pretty sure that if he has been carrying a torch for Faye all this time, it has been somewhat subconscious. He probably allowed himself to believe he was happy with Dora for most of the time. If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with and all that... I really do doubt Faye would reciprocate right now, as much as I really, really want her to. I don't know if there was ever a window of opportunity for Marten, even if he had been available. Angus really did enjoy a perfect storm with regards to Faye's willingness.

I think that, at this point in time in the QC-world, Marten/Faye would be The Mother Of Awkward. Also, I think QC would jump the shark big time if that would happen now. Bitterness would ensue.
Awkward? Well... Dora left it two days after Faye officially called time on her pseudo-courtship with Marten, so I dunno... turnabout is fair play? She always knew that there was history, and Faye was there first. Dora did just storm out saying "Well, I guess that's it then!"

As for whether the comic would jump the shark at that point, I can only say that I disagree. Marten and Faye would have to take a back seat for a while, in favour of other characters, but I don't see it the same way you do.... because I'm a die-hard Fayten shipper.

Bitterness would be a result, sure. Can't avoid that. There seems to be plenty right now anyway.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 22:15 by Soluzar »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #646 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:12 »

You don't put it someplace obvious like My Documents/My Pictures...
Why not? That might have been true when I was younger, or when I used a shared computer... but not anymore. There are two people who might ever use this computer, me and my girlfriend. She knows I watch porn, and isn't really interested in checking out what I watch. I don't see any reason not to keep it in a folder clearly marked "porn". You know, just like I keep my other files in folders clearly marked with the contents.

Today's strip has left me with decidedly mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm glad that Marten went to see Faye about this since she's his best friend. On the other, I'm sort of worried that Marten seems to have accepted the idea that he will reconcile with Dora no matter what. That would appear to spell disaster for my agenda. I don't even care if there's some chance they could work out their issues and have an uneventful (I did not say happy...) relationship. I just want them to split up so Marten has the chance to pursue a relationship with someone who deserves him.

I'm also a bit cross with myself for letting this comic matter so damn much. The format limits the pace of plot development such that it could be weeks or even months before I really get to know how this turns out, and I'm already on the edge of my seat. I don't particularly want to live in perpetual squeaky bum time for the next month while this resolves... in some ways I'd really like to be distracted from it for a good long while until the crisis is over.

You see, despite everything I said earlier about having accepted that Marten/Faye (Fayten? Martye?) is probably a pairing we'll never see, I can't help but allow myself a glimmer of hope. Damned if I can understand why this should be so important to me. I would like to imagine QC as a great romantic comedy, in which the One True Pairing  go through many trials and tribulations before finally being allowed their blissful moment of union, but increasingly I realise that QC is more just one big long exercise in Ship Tease and Will They Or Won't They.

I have nothing against Angus as a character. He's a reasonably nice guy, and he's probably good for Faye... but she has such a connection with Marten that her relationship with Angus seems a trifle shallow by comparison. The thing about Toto is surely a red herring - they have that one thing, does that really stack up against everything that Faye and Marten have? The same could be said (only far more so) about Marten and Dora.

I can't help being a Fayten shipper. It's what really kept me reading the comic... Marten and Faye both as friends and as a potential pairing. Other characters have grown on me, but I still see it as being their story.

HOLY SHIT 12 NEW REPLIES WHILE TYPING.  :psyduck:

No. You know what? I'm in support of this. Let's see Marten get "his girl". Let's see Marten do that, Jeph. I want to see this now.

But--one caveat--I want to see it fail. I want him to try now, just when she's finally making progress, when she's moved on and is with an honestly good person. I want their potential sexual relationship revealed for the nightmare it will be. This is going to be some Lament Configuration shit. I want to see the drama go full trainwreck.

And I know you don't care about people's opinions, Jeph, but I also know you got a drive for realism and you aren't about to give people their fairy tale ending. Hell no.

So I put down my dickbroom. Let's see the Fayten. Let's see the rotten apple that the shippers hang their hopes and dreams on.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

dilbert719

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #647 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:14 »

Faye: "Bitter much?"
Marten: "Yeah... yeah, I am."

Keep on truckin' Marten.  8-)

Stupid as it is, I've never been happier for Marten than at that moment. If there's going to be anything positive coming from this moment, it's that Marten's coming to accept that he can't just bottle up whatever he's feeling, and that he actually is permitted to have negative emotions, and express them with some measure of selfishness. Everyone else does, and anyone who doesn't at least give themselves that much credit is going to be a carpet forever. (No, I don't see myself in Marten at all. Why do you ask?  :wink:)

Listen up Jeph, I would pay you cash money for this to happen in the comic. CASH MONEY! Think about it.

The only way this works for me is if Marten swings by the bar and picks up Jimbo for backup first.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #648 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:20 »

Emergency Bourbon makes another appearance!  

Looks like Sven should be able to talk some sense into Dora, but it's a crap shoot, seeing as how Dora has mentioned that her jealousy of Sven was a big thorn in her side, growing up.
It might help smooth things over, it might bring further and further dramasaurs into the pack.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

akronnick

« Reply #649 on: 16 Nov 2010, 22:20 »

No. You know what? I'm in support of this. Let's see Marten get "his girl". Let's see Marten do that, Jeph. I want to see this now.

But--one caveat--I want to see it fail. I want him to try now, just when she's finally making progress, when she's moved on and is with an honestly good person. I want their potential sexual relationship revealed for the nightmare it will be. This is going to be some Lament Configuration shit. I want to see the drama go full trainwreck.

And I know you don't care about people's opinions, Jeph, but I also know you got a drive for realism and you aren't about to give people their fairy tale ending. Hell no.

So I put down my dickbroom. Let's see the Fayten. Let's see the rotten apple that the shippers hang their hopes and dreams on.

That is quite possible as a matter of fact.

Thurs: Marten goes to Svens to talk to Dora but Sven won't let him.

Fri: Marten and Dora talk and may break up, cliffhanger

Mon: Marten and Dora verify the break up.

Tues: Marten heads home to find Faye and a mostly empty bottle of the Hobo

Wed: Marten finishes the bottle and Faye takes him. Next week's WCT thread hits 25 pages.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36   Go Up