Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445516 times)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #850 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:37 »

Not as urgently as Dora needs to learn that the Hedgehog's Dilemma never works out well for anyone.
I could be way off the mark here, because for all I know that phrase could be in everything I haven't seen or read...

Eva fan?

It isn't relevant to anything, but... that's the only place I personally ever heard that expression used.

Shinji Ikari been my homie since long times ago. I don't know if using the phrase is precisely accurate, but I think it does illustrate Dora's general course of action as re: losing control of a situation--push everyone away and fling the spines out. If you date a long line of assholes, I can see that coming in really handy, too.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

eyosgkxb

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
« Reply #851 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:39 »

eyosgkxb

Who hurt you so bad, man?

Don't color me bad man, I'm just not getting all the Dora love and I may not be as nice as other people. I just see a good oppurtunity for the comic to go in another direction and enjoying it. In fact, should she become a minor character in the comic I'll hope to be the first to make a party thread. She's a complicated character, thats made some really poor choices and gets a lot of support from people who bring their personal problems into the comic. I get that some people can get an emotional attactment to characters by reflecting their past, present, future on comparisions to the character.

But don't you think thats a bit much for a webcomic? No offense to Jeph of course, I'll keep reading regardless.
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #852 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:40 »

I really think this is just going to end up with inevitable Marten/Steve hook up that's been hinted at for so long.
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

eyosgkxb

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Don't NOT look into it's eyes!
« Reply #853 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:42 »

I really think this is just going to end up with inevitable Marten/Steve hook up that's been hinted at for so long.

When it couldn't get any worse. :roll:
a herp derp derrr, a derp a hurk burf

galarant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #854 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:44 »

Oh man I have been rooting for Marten ever since the comic was basically stick figures, and the whole time I have been waiting breathlessly for his testicles to descend. Well they haven't, and there is no evidence that he will all of a sudden grow a pair because this time it's different. However it's so painfully obvious that Dora no longer has a shred of respect for him so maybe she will just do him a favor and finish what he can't.

Here's what I would love to see: Dora dumps him in a fit of self-absorbed mania. Marten enters a very dark, broody period and starts listening to a LOT of Joy Division. He finds a companion in Sven, who takes him in and teaches him the ways of the Dark Side!

Here's what I would REALLY love to see: Everybody fucks everybody, the singularity takes over, and the strip is re-imagined as an erotically-charged scifi romp where they are flying through space in a computer-generated simulation. Also, everyone is a talking plant.

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #855 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:45 »

Not as urgently as Dora needs to learn that the Hedgehog's Dilemma never works out well for anyone.
I could be way off the mark here, because for all I know that phrase could be in everything I haven't seen or read...

Eva fan?

It isn't relevant to anything, but... that's the only place I personally ever heard that expression used.

Shinji Ikari been my homie since long times ago. I don't know if using the phrase is precisely accurate, but I think it does illustrate Dora's general course of action as re: losing control of a situation--push everyone away and fling the spines out. If you date a long line of assholes, I can see that coming in really handy, too.

Heh, that makes me think of this comic.
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=588
"Poor mule, he doesn't know how he got up there, but he's sure as hell going to bite the first person that tries to get him down."
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #856 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:45 »

Nah, man, Jeph already did a Maeve alternastrip as a joke.  I hinted at it back on page whatever-the-fuck:  Mambo (Marten/Jimbo OTP! <3<3<3 SQUEE)

Again, please commence with the brains dribbling out of your ears.   :evil:

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #857 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:49 »

Say, is Marten's bitterness contagious?
What would I be bitter about?
I was talking about me.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 11:15 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #858 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:49 »

But don't you see, that's what Jeph wants you to think, that way the "surprise" revelation of the steve/marten hook up will come from seemingly nowhere.
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #859 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:54 »

Eva fan?

Pratchett as well, also classical literature.

The hedgehog, it is told, cannot be buggered at all.

Though this guy might be the exception...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5000892/Mystery-condition-leaves-hedgehog-with-no-spines.html

When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #860 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:55 »

Shinji Ikari been my homie since long times ago.

put this in your pipe and smoke it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

get down with insanity, it's purple bunny aardvark!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #861 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:56 »

QC's never been specifically about those two for me, though.
I'm really not trying to tell you what your QC experience should be about, so let me get that clear right away.

That said, I am telling you about my QC experience, and having had a recommendation for the strip I only read a couple of new ones before going to the start of the archive.

I got a four-strip introduction for Faye followed by run of strips in which the only other characters were Pintsize, Steve, Sara and Jimbo. A friend of the same gender for each of them, and a comedy sidekick. Dora was only introduced in the 75th strip. Admittedly she did have a hugemungous crush on Marten even back then, but I didn't get the feeling that he reciprocated.

Can you blame me for assuming it was a love story, or at worst... a love triangle story?

sidpatt

• Not quite a lurker
  • Who's that at the door?
« Reply #862 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:58 »

eyosgkxb

Who hurt you so bad, man?

Don't color me bad man, I'm just not getting all the Dora love and I may not be as nice as other people. I just see a good oppurtunity for the comic to go in another direction and enjoying it. In fact, should she become a minor character in the comic I'll hope to be the first to make a party thread. She's a complicated character, thats made some really poor choices and gets a lot of support from people who bring their personal problems into the comic. I get that some people can get an emotional attactment to characters by reflecting their past, present, future on comparisions to the character.

But don't you think thats a bit much for a webcomic? No offense to Jeph of course, I'll keep reading regardless.

I would like to see them at the very least take some time off. But I see no reason to call Dora a cunt over it.

QC's never been specifically about those two for me, though.
I'm really not trying to tell you what your QC experience should be about, so let me get that clear right away.

That said, I am telling you about my QC experience, and having had a recommendation for the strip I only read a couple of new ones before going to the start of the archive.

I got a four-strip introduction for Faye followed by run of strips in which the only other characters were Pintsize, Steve, Sara and Jimbo. A friend of the same gender for each of them, and a comedy sidekick. Dora was only introduced in the 75th strip. Admittedly she did have a hugemungous crush on Marten even back then, but I didn't get the feeling that he reciprocated.

Can you blame me for assuming it was a love story, or at worst... a love triangle story?

Not at all. I had already typed out something really long and vitriolic about telling the author what to do. Then I realized where our difference was. We cool, man, we cool.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 11:04 by sidpatt »
IT'S SECRETARIAT!!!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #863 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:07 »

Not at all. I had already typed out something really long and vitriolic about telling the author what to do. Then I realized where our difference was. We cool, man, we cool.

Tsk.

All these feelings of good-will and respect of others is really irritating... You guys should have a dick-broom duel or something.

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #864 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:09 »

All these feelings of good-will and respect of others is really irritating... You guys should have a dick-broom duel or something.
Please remind me of the original quote leading to the emergence of the UBMEOD meme, if you can. I've been lurkreading the WCDT for long enough that I saw the first post where someone mentioned a UBMEOD, but I can't remember.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Parasol

• Not quite a lurker
  • AHHHH! MISSILES!
« Reply #866 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:18 »

I'm going to project my past emotional relationships onto this whole dealy.. It's the cool thing to do right now isn't it?

Fuck Dora.
BEEP BEP

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #867 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:20 »

Oh man I have been rooting for Marten ever since the comic was basically stick figures, and the whole time I have been waiting breathlessly for his testicles to descend. Well they haven't, and there is no evidence that he will all of a sudden grow a pair because this time it's different. However it's so painfully obvious that Dora no longer has a shred of respect for him so maybe she will just do him a favor and finish what he can't.

Here's what I would love to see: Dora dumps him in a fit of self-absorbed mania. Marten enters a very dark, broody period and starts listening to a LOT of Joy Division. He finds a companion in Sven, who takes him in and teaches him the ways of the Dark Side!

Here's what I would REALLY love to see: Everybody fucks everybody, the singularity takes over, and the strip is re-imagined as an erotically-charged scifi romp where they are flying through space in a computer-generated simulation. Also, everyone is a talking plant.

Jeph doesn't have the skill to pull off a series of strips like that, yet.

galarant

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #868 on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:58 »

Jeph doesn't have the skill to pull off a series of strips like that, yet.

Sounds like a challenge! Jeph if you're listening, you know what to do.

And seriously, I'm glad there's finally some drama again...for a while there it was just way too safe. I thought people were going to get married and start popping out kids, and in a couple years we would be reading comics about brownie recipes and the best technique for knitting a tea cozy.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #869 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:01 »

While Jeph might go onto the forums, I'm convinced he's avoiding this thread.

For time management reasons, if nothing else
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

charybdis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #870 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:03 »

*Looks back at the thread she has slogged through, and ahead at the brave, brave regiment before her*

*Silently takes up her dickbroom, tears in her eyes*

I would join you, gentlemen, if you will have me.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #871 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:05 »

Well.  I mean.  It was.
It was all about Marten and Faye.  For a really long time.  Then it wasn't anymore.  It grew to encompass the lives of more characters.  And has for about the same length of really long time.
I guess I can understand appreciating one single aspect of a comic.  It is not why I like comics, or almost anything.  E.g. why I generally don't like Disney.
You know, anymore.

I really think you're out of luck, if you're hanging on Faye plus Marten.  It'd be different if Faye hadn't gone through multiple story arcs of character development in the past thousand strips.  I just cannot see her being with Marten at the drop of the hat, after the Angus makeouts and the whole Toto thing.

Dora is a fine person, sure she makes mistakes like most people.  But I've still never seen her and Marten have real chemistry.  Either has more chemistry in their friendships with other people.  In my oh-so-humble opinion.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #872 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:07 »

@ Parasol - That is the most hilarious signature I have read in a long time. I literally LOL'd and almost never do that. Thank you.

That is all, everything else that can be said pretty much already has been.

I like Dora, but I would rather see her with Tai. I think their attitudes would sync a lot better.  Plus I am naturally biased toward lesbian couples in my entertainment media.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #873 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:13 »

holy fuck 17 pages

there were like four the last time I checked

Yes, and if you haven't read EVERY SINGLE POST in them, you're either a worthless sack of beans who needs shootin', but ain't worth the bullet, or a paragon of virtue who leaves green grass in your footsteps (which really weirds people out on the dance floor). there is no middle ground or other possibility.

I plead the paragonth.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #874 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:16 »

While Jeph might go onto the forums, I'm convinced he's avoiding this thread.

For time management reasons, if nothing else

I'm actually on the forums for the first time in MONTHS, mainly to shake my head in wonder at this thread. It's like a car accident and a space shuttle explosion are having sex with each other.  :psyduck:

Also, good job, whichever mod brought the Psyduck emoticon over here.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Saral

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #875 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:17 »

holy fuck 17 pages

there were like four the last time I checked

Yes, and if you haven't read EVERY SINGLE POST in them, you're either a worthless sack of beans who needs shootin', but ain't worth the bullet, or a paragon of virtue who leaves green grass in your footsteps (which really weirds people out on the dance floor). there is no middle ground or other possibility.

I plead the paragonth.

Odd I always though there was the rengade? the necessary evil...
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 12:21 by Saral »

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #876 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:20 »

Welcome Jeph, to a hell which you have helped create!

Seriously though, thanks for the last couple of years of QC and keep up the drama making work.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Parasol

• Not quite a lurker
  • AHHHH! MISSILES!
« Reply #877 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:23 »

@ Parasol - That is the most hilarious signature I have read in a long time. I literally LOL'd and almost never do that. Thank you.

That is all, everything else that can be said pretty much already has been.

I like Dora, but I would rather see her with Tai. I think their attitudes would sync a lot better.  Plus I am naturally biased toward lesbian couples in my entertainment media.

Haha, thank you =) It makes me smile every time i read it...

Also, i agree with you. My prior post was just frustration at more Dora being a bitch, but really, i do want to see them both happy. Martin with someone genuine and happy and silly and a BETTERMENT for him. Dora with someone even stronger and in more control. She needs that. All she does with Martin is run him through her cycles because she can.
BEEP BEP

Soluzar

• Emoticontraindication
  • That guy.
« Reply #878 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:23 »

Well.  I mean.  It was.
It was all about Marten and Faye.  For a really long time.  Then it wasn't anymore.  It grew to encompass the lives of more characters.  And has for about the same length of really long time.
Exactly. I think this is what it feels like when you begin to move on from a webcomic. XD

I'll miss Marigold if I ever truly stop reading though.

I really think you're out of luck, if you're hanging on Faye plus Marten.  It'd be different if Faye hadn't gone through multiple story arcs of character development in the past thousand strips.  I just cannot see her being with Marten at the drop of the hat, after the Angus makeouts and the whole Toto thing.
Sure. I know that. I've been clear on that since the start of this discussion. There's a quote from a recent topic I think is relevant here.

Yeah, the preponderance of opinion & reason is clearly against Marten-Faye at this point, & has been for a few years...  
But some little vestigial part of me always WANTED to see M&F together, and the primal reptile brain doesn't give up its desires just because other humans have convincing rational arguments.

I'm just going through the sad process of parting company from something I really enjoyed... because it changed and I didn't want it to. It took me posting in this thread to realise that I should think seriously about quitting the QC habit.

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #879 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:27 »

Well.  I mean.  It was.
I guess I can understand appreciating one single aspect of a comic.  It is not why I like comics, or almost anything.  E.g. why I generally don't like Disney.
You know, anymore.

QC was clearly an Unresolved Sexual Tension comic with some harem elements for about 500 strips before it became more about the heavy Relationship Drama.  In the short term, it's not going toward Faye / Marten at all, but it will never get over the question of those two getting together.  It can try but the very long arc built into the comic has been one of building toward an eventual Marten / Faye thing.

I don't say that because of whatever the current situation of Marten or Faye might have been.  But I think there are important signs - Faye's panic attack at having tried to connect emotionally with Angus, Marten's choice to not really commit to Dora by having her move in with him and Faye - that really draw the outlines of them eventually getting together.  If the comic is being written with an end in mind, I have to think that the ending would be Marten and Faye getting together.  But the way things have gone, it would probably take hundreds of strips to maneuver things to the point where that could happen.  I still think it could, because the end of Marten/Dora - if not in this arc, in another - will leave the door open, and I think that any other relationships they have are going to lose out to the two of them getting together.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #880 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:41 »

My bad, I wasn't being clear.  I mean that if you're looking for a reason to believe that Faye and Marten could happen any time soon, i.e. to maintain interest in the comic in the short term, I think you're out of luck.  If someone is taking the long view, I could see maintaining interest in the comic for an extremely slow building of anticipation.  Guess I can't relate to that sort of patience.

I'm really surprised when the main reason people read it isn't the humor.  I guess that's another compliment to Jeph.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #881 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:43 »

I'm actually on the forums for the first time in MONTHS, mainly to shake my head in wonder at this thread. It's like a car accident and a space shuttle explosion are having sex with each other.  :psyduck:

...Can you actually use that as filler, just once?  Just once.  Because that sounds HAWT.

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #882 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:44 »

Since everyone else is sharing their humble (and not so humble opinions) I'm going to put on my prognosticator hat. I predict the following to happen:

1. Dora gets some much needed perspective from Sven
2. Marten goes to talk to Dora at Sven's
3. Sven leaves to let them talk and goes to Coffee of Doom
4. Dora tells Marten she knows she isn't being fair to him and is making him unhappy because she can't be the person he need and breaks up with him much to his shock and sadness.
5. Sven finds Faye drunk off her fine fine ass.
6. Sven starts drinking too.
7. They start talking and end up kissing.
8. Everyone gets a pantload of angst
9. The boards catch fire from everyone's furious typing, yelling and fapping.
10. Hanners does something cute and everyone gets healed by the power of her cuteness.

So sayeth Madame Moppet!

Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #883 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:52 »

Well.  I mean.  It was.
You know, anymore.

QC was clearly an Unresolved Sexual Tension comic with some harem elements for about 500 strips before it became more about the heavy Relationship Drama.  In the short term, it's not going toward Faye / Marten at all, but it will never get over the question of those two getting together.  It can try but the very long arc built into the comic has been one of building toward an eventual Marten / Faye thing.

I don't say that because of whatever the current situation of Marten or Faye might have been.  But I think there are important signs - Faye's panic attack at having tried to connect emotionally with Angus, Marten's choice to not really commit to Dora by having her move in with him and Faye - that really draw the outlines of them eventually getting together.  If the comic is being written with an end in mind, I have to think that the ending would be Marten and Faye getting together.  But the way things have gone, it would probably take hundreds of strips to maneuver things to the point where that could happen.  I still think it could, because the end of Marten/Dora - if not in this arc, in another - will leave the door open, and I think that any other relationships they have are going to lose out to the two of them getting together.
I don't think this is likely to happen, if it happens at all, until Jeph decides to end QC. Where would the story go from there? If this is indeed some great overarching goal, once it's been achieved, what is there left to tell? Only way I could see it happening is if something like Marten/Faye get together, and then move away or something, and now we have a new story to tell, and a new webcomic to tell it in. But I don't see how it could work in QC without making it not QC any more.

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #884 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:56 »

My bad, I wasn't being clear.  I mean that if you're looking for a reason to believe that Faye and Marten could happen any time soon, i.e. to maintain interest in the comic in the short term, I think you're out of luck.  If someone is taking the long view, I could see maintaining interest in the comic for an extremely slow building of anticipation.  Guess I can't relate to that sort of patience.

I'm really surprised when the main reason people read it isn't the humor.  I guess that's another compliment to Jeph.

Oh, I don't personally read the strip because I'm longing for a Marten-Faye hookup; like I said in a previous post I think it'd be a long and angsty road to get there.  It's just that I think the signs are written deep in the characters that this is how it should go in the very long run.  I'm just trying to analyze the story, it's the kind of thing I enjoy doing.  QC is written engagingly enough that I have a lot of fun with the characters, and I'm not a 'shipper or something.  I just see a long, slow internal logic building that could lead that way if and when Jeph decided to do so.

lockwoodlo

• Not quite a lurker
  • Fifty years ago, when I was still good humored
    • Thoughts, Words and Deeds - Sins of my Gray Hairs
« Reply #885 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:59 »

QC was clearly an Unresolved Sexual Tension comic with some harem elements for about 500 strips before it became more about the heavy Relationship Drama.  In the short term, it's not going toward Faye / Marten at all, but it will never get over the question of those two getting together.  It can try but the very long arc built into the comic has been one of building toward an eventual Marten / Faye thing.

I don't say that because of whatever the current situation of Marten or Faye might have been.  But I think there are important signs - Faye's panic attack at having tried to connect emotionally with Angus, Marten's choice to not really commit to Dora by having her move in with him and Faye - that really draw the outlines of them eventually getting together.  If the comic is being written with an end in mind, I have to think that the ending would be Marten and Faye getting together.  But the way things have gone, it would probably take hundreds of strips to maneuver things to the point where that could happen.  I still think it could, because the end of Marten/Dora - if not in this arc, in another - will leave the door open, and I think that any other relationships they have are going to lose out to the two of them getting together.

I have to agree.  Marten and Faye have been there from the first.  I'm looking forward to lots of story in the coming months and probably years, but at the end, those two have to come together properly.

In any case, I won't drop QC just because it doesn't seem to be going the way I figure it should go.

mickcheese

• Plantmonster
« Reply #886 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:00 »

*Follows Tergon into the melee wielding his uwn UBMEOD*

WE FIGHT AS ONE, AKRONNICK!

FOR THE ORDER OF THE DICKBROOM!  FOR THE PREVENTING OF A FIFTY-PAGE THREAD THIS WEEK!  FOR GLORY AND FOR FAITH IN JEPH!

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

Edit for raoullefere:
It makes a sort of wet flapping sound, it's really quite unpleasant.

....I have heard the word of Tergon, and seen his noble deeds before...Yet I forsook that path, for the ways of spite and bile at shippers, and "Dora is a bitch no matter what she does" folk...

...And now I see him, fighting against the horde though it be fifteen pages strong! Resplendent is his turkey, and mighty his multiplicitous phallic cleaning implement!

And I am shamed. I have been wrong. There is still faith in Jeph. We may hold that much.

TERGON! AKRONNICK! If you would have this fool's UBMEOD...it is yours!
You’re all fools… heroic fools. The brave are always the first to die.

Kalos

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #887 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:04 »

Just going to say that I'm absolutely thrilled at the prospect of Marten growing a spine. No idea how it's going to turn out, just crossing my fingers and hoping that it's not Marten shuffling over to Dora and going "blee blah feelings blee bloo I was bad, Miss, I'm sorry."

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #888 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:05 »

Fights are never fun, but as I keep repeating, I'm hoping they'll talk to each other and we get some real backstory.

Yes this! I really wa--
OMG what if we get ... Flashbacks!! Adorable high school gothette Dora and college dissatisfaction-with-goth-life Dora! (wait did she go to college I don't remember) with cameo with Original Goth Raven~! And we see all her shitty relationships with the Alpha Goth Assholes.

DO EET JEPH
You know you wanna draw teenage Dora.

yes plz

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #889 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:05 »

I don't think this is likely to happen, if it happens at all, until Jeph decides to end QC. Where would the story go from there? If this is indeed some great overarching goal, once it's been achieved, what is there left to tell? Only way I could see it happening is if something like Marten/Faye get together, and then move away or something, and now we have a new story to tell, and a new webcomic to tell it in. But I don't see how it could work in QC without making it not QC any more.

Well, yeah, and I agree.  That's the problem with hanging your hat on Unresolved Sexual Tension between characters: once you resolve it, you can no longer tell that story, and if Jeph brought them together it would have to be at the very end (or the comic would jump the shark so hard it'd leave teeth marks).  I just feel like the storyline is moving back toward the Faye/Marten UST, as part of a long arc away from it that brought us Marten/Dora and the weirder Faye/Angus side trek.  The thing is, Jeph is pretty blatantly moving toward a resolution of the Marten/Dora era and the only way I would see the comic going after that is to pick back up on the Faye/Marten possibilities.  Anything else would be, well, Marten dating Cousin Oliver.

flamingo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #890 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:09 »

.... he should just get drunk with her, then gently but firmly rub her up against a wall by her wrists and start kissing and dry humping her while whispering in her ear about how much he likes her, sexually as well as a friend. Though at first she might be disconcerted or disorientated it's important he never stop - Marten is passive by nature but if he apologises and walks away it will just add to Faye's abandonment issues as she'll feel that her crying or screaming for him to stop has pushed him away. Unfortunately I don't think Marten has the willpower to do this ... really, what he needs is a good friend who would help him out by lacing his drink with cocaine or some other aggressant that would allow him to really let his inhibitions go and confess his feelings, but I don't think any are up to it  :-(

Goddamn. Just write a fanfic
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 13:15 by flamingo »

Saral

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #891 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:14 »

Well, yeah, and I agree.  That's the problem with hanging your hat on Unresolved Sexual Tension between characters: once you resolve it, you can no longer tell that story, and if Jeph brought them together it would have to be at the very end (or the comic would jump the shark so hard it'd leave teeth marks).  I just feel like the storyline is moving back toward the Faye/Marten UST, as part of a long arc away from it that brought us Marten/Dora and the weirder Faye/Angus side trek.  The thing is, Jeph is pretty blatantly moving toward a resolution of the Marten/Dora era and the only way I would see the comic going after that is to pick back up on the Faye/Marten possibilities.  Anything else would be, well, Marten dating Cousin Oliver.

I felt as soon as the talk happened it took a massive lurch away from UST, but now in my view it's being forced back. And that to me is worrying. Dora move from a girl with understandable issues to a complete bitch just to bring back Faye/Marten, and that is what I consider bad writing.Especially since originally Dora was referred to as selfless in relationships. Okay maybe the characters do say this is what should happen to Jeph Jacques., but with the early characters...

MarkCorrigan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #892 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:17 »

As one of the "God Dora is being a bitch, Marten doesn't need a relationship like THAT" posters, I've got to say I think you're orbiting the Moon if you think that

A. This is "blatantly" the end of the Marten/Dora era. Given Jeph's previous drama arcs, this will most likely lead to character development for all. I cannot imagine him having them break up without giving Dora a chance to actually work on her issues and stop being the hideous snappy bitch she's been for the past X number of comics.

B. This is some kind of slow progression to a Faye/Marten lovefest. Why do I say this? Because guess what, people change a lot in 1 year (which I believe is the rough Marten/Dora timeline so far?) and it's entirely possible that one or both of the Marten/Faye "I wuv you but I can't" pairing has, you know, moved on to the point at which they don't see the other as a romantic option. Further, I think it would be a moment of spectacular pointlessness to have bothered to introduce Angus at all if that were really any kind of destination point.

C. Jeph has any kind of overall end in mind.

D. You think that Faye/Marten will be the new focus point, given that the regular important cast list has grown so much.

Just my opinions, and if you disagree I challenge you to a duel to the death with UBMEOD's.  :psyduck:

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #893 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:17 »

emergency bourbon! yes, lady!

LeGrande

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #894 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:26 »

Dora and Marten break up. Dora then rebounds by attempting to seduce Angus, which really "riles Faye up."

Of course, this is totally unlike what I was eventually expecting, which was Marten and Dora getting married, and Dora insisting on being the flower girl at her own wedding.

lockwoodlo

• Not quite a lurker
  • Fifty years ago, when I was still good humored
    • Thoughts, Words and Deeds - Sins of my Gray Hairs
« Reply #895 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:28 »

emergency bourbon! yes, lady!

What's all this devotion to Emergency Bourbon?  Why not Emergency Rum?  I can't even get bourbon where I live, but rum is cheap and way plentiful.

I bet what we call Rooster Wash is every bit as vile as Midnight Hobo.  And it used to be unbelievably cheap, but with inflation and all . . .

steveb

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #896 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:29 »

I feel sorry for Faye.
Having the couple you share a flat with argue is bad enough.
When one is your boss and the other is somebody you had feelings for is only going to make it worse.

I know its also unpleasant for Dora and Marten but its their mess and they have something to gain/lose.
Faye is right in the middle but just has to watch what happens.

Of course the real reason this thread is so long is everyone wants to use the :psyduck:

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #897 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:36 »

I must say that UBMEODs make me laugh every time I see the world, however, I will pick mine up aaaand... wait for it...

ADD ANOTHER POST TO THIS ALREADY TOO LONG THREAD !!!

And what does this one mean, anyway?  :psyduck:

Just my two, err five, cents of predictions:

1. Que "The second talk"
2. Marten/Dora does end, but not too awkward, meaning she will stay in the cast
3. Back to original QC with Marten not having a SO (but lots of crazy chicks to take care of)
4. Do this over and over again, enlarging the main cast every time
5. Finally, when Jeph approaches his 100:th birthday or so, end QC with Marten and Faye finally getting together.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 13:59 by O8h7w »
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Teletheus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #898 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:40 »

Wow.  I just came here to post a link that seemed somewhat relevant, and I find... this.

Where do I get one of those brooms, again?

(Oh, I almost forgot -- http://www.jonathancoulton.com/songdetails/Someone%20is%20Crazy)

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #899 on: 17 Nov 2010, 13:41 »

Dora and Marten break up. Dora then rebounds by attempting to seduce Angus, which really "riles Faye up."

Of course, this is totally unlike what I was eventually expecting, which was Marten and Dora getting married, and Dora insisting on being the flower girl at her own wedding.

I read this as 'Marten then rebounds by attempting to seduce Angus', which would be hella entertaining, especially if it worked.

I can just see Marigold suffering from life-threatening nasal blood loss.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36   Go Up