Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445536 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1000 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:06 »

I must admit at times I feel a little silly for caring about these characters so much, because they aren't real, but then I remember it's no different to being attached to characters in a book or T.V show and I don't feel so silly.
Indeed. <–– More literate way of saying "This".

Where did you got the dicks from which to build all these brooms? On second thoughts, I don't think I want to know. This thread > TL:DR.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1001 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:07 »

And if there is anyone out there, anyone at all who actually decides they have some faith in QC being a decent comic and Jeph being a decent writer, then I beg of you one thing.
Grab a UBMEOD, stand with me, and try to knock some fucking sense into this shitstorm of a thread until the trolls decide to go back to wherever they fucking came from.
I will follow where you lead, my Lord of the Order of the Dickbroom. FORWARD TO DEFEND AGAINST THE FANBOY LEGIONS! CHARRRRRGE!

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #1002 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:16 »

P.S. My dickbroom is on hold until everyone knows me a little better.
Same here.

Nah, you don't have to just wait. Be like me, have a replica dickbroom for a while before joining up completely!  :-D

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1003 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:20 »

Quote from: Tergon
Again, if you have an opinion, that is completely fine.  If you'd like to see something happen in QC and feel like sharing that idea, wonderful.  If you feel that a certain development isn't what you like, you are totally welcome to share that opinion.  I like opinions, honestly I do.
But, if you're one of the people who posts only to share the opinion that everyone else's opinion is retarded and you are right... and there have been a lot of those people posting in this thread... then I have only one thing to say to you.

Ahem.

If it matters to anyone, I actually do want Dora and Marten to stick together.  The only place where couples never fight is in Disney movies and fanfiction, that's just a fact.

Okay, that's not really much.

If we are to continue thinking of Marten and Dora as reasonable people (or characters) then they should not break up over this.  Arguing otherwise is idiotic and proof that you know fuck-all about relationships.

Oh.  Eek.

You're just as bad as everyone else.  And that's okay!  But it probably makes it even more pointless to pen novellas attempting to persuade people not to express their opinions so forcefully on the interwebs.

Now, I do want to address the "know fuck-all about relationships" comment.  Yes, it's naive to think couples never fight.  It is also naive to think that love conquers all or that two people who have feelings for one another will find a way to be compatible.  Or whatever reason drove you to make that comment.  Will they break up and would that be the best for both or either of them in the long run?  I dunno.  But my opinion is that it would be wise.  They bring out the worst in each other.  Marten's lack of assertiveness allows Dora to put off dealing with her insecurities and leads her to become manipulative, whether it was her intention or not (and I don't believe it was).  A more assertive person would also be able to actively provide more assurance to Dora.  Marten just goes with the flow.  Dora needs more than that.  Marten needs a girl who is less emotionally dependent on him and won't let him bury all his negative feelings for the sake of smoothing things over.  Their flaws cause both of them to act in a way that enables the other one's flaws.  It's possible they could work on it together, but they've both let it go on so long that it may be harder than a clean break would be.  It's unfortunate to invest so much in a relationship only to find out much later that you and your partner have some serious incompatibilities, especially when you are still in love with them.  It's much easier to find those things out sooner.  But real life's not that kind, why should the comic be?

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy
« Reply #1004 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:22 »

I must admit at times I feel a little silly for caring about these characters so much, because they aren't real, but then I remember it's no different to being attached to characters in a book or T.V show and I don't feel so silly.
Indeed. <–– More literate way of saying "This".

Where did you got the dicks from which to build all these brooms? On second thoughts, I don't think I want to know. This thread > TL:DR.

I read the whole thing :S

This either says I have no life or I am a bit of a masochist or possibly both...

Yeah I am going to go with both.

I feel like I should mention the comic in here somewhere...I hope to see Marten and Faye drunk and dancing with big coffee mugs on their heads!

Plus Tergon I totally agree with your long arse post. Respect! However trying to reason with fanboys/fangirls I have found is completely pointless (You would already know this no doubt), but it does make you feel better to tell them to STFU. Now I have to go wash my lips after kissing you arse :S and my hands because I touched the UBMEOD by mistake
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

Hi-chew

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1005 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:24 »

See, when I coined the Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks, it wasn't to annoy people who I disagreed with.  Of course I have hopes for where the comic will go, and things I'd like to see happen.  Everyone does and there's no harm in that.  The point of the UBMEOD is to beat people over the head who forget that they do not control the story, not everyone wants exactly what they want, and that they need to calm down and wipe some of the fanboy-rage-induced froth from their lips.

Um, Tergon? Just out of curiosity... if the point of the Useless Broom Made Entirely of Dicks was to beat rabid fanboys over the head, then doesn't that mean it's actually not useless? It seems to me like it'd be extremely useful if it can give rabid fanboys dick-related concussions, right?

Oh, yeah, first post and all that jazz.

Edit: Is it bad that I joined these forums just so that I could point this out?
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 20:30 by Hi-chew »

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1006 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:26 »

Oh.  Eek.

You're just as bad as everyone else.  And that's okay!  But it probably makes it even more pointless to pen novellas attempting to persuade people not to express their opinions so forcefully on the interwebs.

I do believe you are missing Tergon's point, which (as far as I could tell) was not for people to stop having opinions, but for them to stop shouting "I think that my idea (usually completely unrealistic fantasy) for this and that character to get together TOMORROW/BY THE END OF THE WEEK as a result of the current story arc is HOW IT SHOULD BE, and ANYONE who thinks OTHERWISE is WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!"
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 20:29 by vettechinohio »
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1007 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:30 »

Oh.  Eek.

I do believe you are missing Tergon's point, which (as far as I could tell) was not for people to stop having opinions, but for them to stop shouting "I think that my idea (usually completely unrealistic fantasy) for this and that character to get together TOMORROW/BY THE END OF THE WEEK as a result of the current story arc is HOW IT SHOULD BE, and ANYONE who thinks OTHERWISE is WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!"

I got the point, I put it more mildly and concisely.  Case of the lazies.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1008 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:31 »

Useless Broom Made Entirely of Dicks ... actually not useless?
Then it's Unuseless but still sharing the same acronym.

Well much is to be said about people wanting certain things to happen. Then again there are plenty people that obsess over a webcomic like it's OCD. Maybe the same ones that identify with Hanners. Ultimately the comic goes like Jeph planned it, but people can dream right?

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1009 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:31 »

Arguing otherwise is idiotic and proof that you know fuck-all about relationships.

NICE
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1010 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:32 »

Everyone thought they'd have to wait till Friday to see 20 pages...

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1011 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:34 »

OK, if today's comic doesn't tone down/resolve some of the drama, I'm calling 25 pages by the end of tomorrow, and over 30 by Friday.

ajchimaera

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Swimming in the smoke of bridges I have burned
    • Stuffbox
« Reply #1012 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:36 »

It would seem very unreasonable of Marten & Dora to break up in this way, after all they have gone through. Fact.
But people in that emotional situation tend not to think reasonably, so I can see that as a very likely possibilty, though I shudder to think of the fallout throughout the rest of the cast.
Hopefully, something or someone will be able to talk some sense into one or both of them - while I do agree with those who say that Dora is mostly in the wrong on this, Marten clearly compounded the problem from his reaction, however justified he may have been in it. Dora has after all shown previously a tendency to be childish in her emotional reactions - I don't think enough has been established about her life before the comic timeline, but it seems likely to me that she went into managing CoD still reasonably young, and although she channels enough maturity into the running of the business, she either missed the chance to grow up emotionally in terms of personal interactions, or simply because she has to deal with business decisions and the inevitable consequences at work, she lets loose with her more playful side a bit too much outside of that. But I digress. I think my point is that she is only behaving as you'd expect her to, and for Marten to go off his nut about it is really an over-reaction when he should perhaps be able to just grimace and bear it, knowing that she cannot help herself. But maybe he really has just had about enough of having to put up with it, after last time.
Anyway, I can really see Sven coming into his own on this, being able to talk to them both (separately) about their issues and such. He has done a lot of growing up himself recently, after he realised that his actions against Faye had consequences.
But whatever happens, much as I am not overly happy with how it has descended into such drama, I am still hanging on every word ;)
Looking forward to the inevitable return of poop jokes though.
"Pretty. What do we blow up first?" - Myn Donos

Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1013 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:37 »

(p.s.  How did this UBMEOD thing start anyway?)

Tergon Posted this:
While I'm aware that arguing against fanboy paranoia is like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom made entirely of dicks, I'd point out that Marten cannot be using the same yardstick to test his relationship with Dora.  Why?  Because he HAS NO GODDAMN IDEA WHAT FAYE WAS TALKING ABOUT.  He then promptly asked his girlfriend a confusing cryptic question, and the sleepy lady in focus responded that she dislikes toto and was grumpy at being woken up for that.  In other words, a perfectly reasonable situation with a perfectly reasonable response, even with Marten's reaction of feeling a bit sad at being grumped at.

THIS IS ALL PERFECTLY RATIONAL AND SENSIBLE.

That being said, fanboy paranoia is what it is and this is gonna snowball.  And this is Jeph writing, who just loves him some hella-hella drama.  Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Then I posted this:

Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Best sentence written in the English language.

Ever.

And it pretty much just snowballed from there.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1014 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:39 »

Oh.  Eek.

There is a difference between posing a forceful opinion on what events may soon occur (however unrealistic it may be), and doing so while saying that everyone else's opinion is moot. I'm not saying that you do this, I'm just reiterating the second half of the point, which I don't think is covered by putting the word forcefully in bold (: But again, that's just my opinion (: It's time to get some supper and hope that the new comic is up by the time I get back.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 20:42 by vettechinohio »
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #1015 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:43 »

Again, if you have an opinion, that is completely fine.  If you'd like to see something happen in QC and feel like sharing that idea, wonderful.  If you feel that a certain development isn't what you like, you are totally welcome to share that opinion.  I like opinions, honestly I do.
But, if you're one of the people who posts only to share the opinion that everyone else's opinion is retarded and you are right... and there have been a lot of those people posting in this thread... then I have only one thing to say to you.

Ahem.

If it matters to anyone, I actually do want Dora and Marten to stick together.  The only place where couples never fight is in Disney movies and fanfiction, that's just a fact.

Okay, that's not really much.

Okay, yes, point.  But the difference is that I'm not trying to call people idiots who disagree with me.  I'm calling people idiots who disagree with everyone.  It's a fine line, and more than a little hypocritical of me, I suppose.  But just because I'm hoping one thing will happen doesn't mean that I'm closed to the idea of anyting else happening.  I'm simply saying that couples do fight, and while they do lead to breakups, completely justified ones, they're also not definitive proof that the two people were wrong for each other all along.  Although I may hope for a certain outcome, and I suppose it does colour my rants more than a little, I'm trying to say that things aren't necessarily as straightforward as they look.  And, I guess, maybe stepping on my own tongue a little in the duration, but, y'know.  Pobody's Nerfect.

If we are to continue thinking of Marten and Dora as reasonable people (or characters) then they should not break up over this.  Arguing otherwise is idiotic and proof that you know fuck-all about relationships.

Oh.  Eek.

Now, I do want to address the "know fuck-all about relationships" comment.  Yes, it's naive to think couples never fight.  It is also naive to think that love conquers all or that two people who have feelings for one another will find a way to be compatible.  Or whatever reason drove you to make that comment.  Will they break up and would that be the best for both or either of them in the long run?  I dunno.  But my opinion is that it would be wise.  They bring out the worst in each other.  Marten's lack of assertiveness allows Dora to put off dealing with her insecurities and leads her to become manipulative, whether it was her intention or not (and I don't believe it was).  A more assertive person would also be able to actively provide more assurance to Dora.  Marten just goes with the flow.  Dora needs more than that.  Marten needs a girl who is less emotionally dependent on him and won't let him bury all his negative feelings for the sake of smoothing things over.  Their flaws cause both of them to act in a way that enables the other one's flaws.  It's possible they could work on it together, but they've both let it go on so long that it may be harder than a clean break would be.  It's unfortunate to invest so much in a relationship only to find out much later that you and your partner have some serious incompatibilities, especially when you are still in love with them.  It's much easier to find those things out sooner.  But real life's not that kind, why should the comic be?

Well, that comment kind of relies on the one that follows it - they don't HAVE to be reasonable.  In between the camps that say "They will always get over things and love each other" and "They fought so they have to break up" is the fact that people fight all the time and they do recover from it.  Or, sometimes, they don't and they break up.
The "reasonable" thing to do is to sit down and discuss things and talk it over.  Because - and I say this in full awareness of my own bias, but it's still true - they do love each other.  They need to resolve the issue, and the Disney solution I hinted at would be that they can overcome this and be strong and loving and everything will be wonderful.
But like I noted immediately after saying this, people aren't reasonable.  They get emotional, and they say hurtful things, and they make decisions they later regret.  Perhaps more importantly, they also make decisions in the heat of the moment that were very much the right decision.  Marten and Dora will do what they will do, and they don't have to be reasonable about it.  That was what inspired my comment - and someone who expects a Disney solution isn't being realistic.  But, at the same time, someone who thinks that either of them can simply "Turn Off" their feelings for each other is equally unrealistic.  It just doesn't work that way.

All of my rants, self-serving though they may be, have been trying to hammer home one point:  We do not know what will happen next, but whatever it will be, it has to be realistic within the bounds of the story.  20+ pages of bitching that's becoming more and more of a flamewar is not achieving anything except making everyone's ears bleed.

So I guess, yes, I'm a bit of a hypocrite, and in some ways I am just as bad as everyone else.  But if it's worth anything... I at least cop to that freely, and I do try to direct my rants in a neutral direction.  Maybe it doesn't always work, but hey, I'm trying.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #1016 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:49 »

Then I posted this:

Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Best sentence written in the English language.

Ever.

And it pretty much just snowballed from there.

It just keeps getting better worse I can't decide more interesting.

:psyduck: (just cuz I haven't used psyduck yet. feels good, man)
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 20:51 by iduguphergrave »
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1017 on: 17 Nov 2010, 20:55 »

Oh.  Eek.

There is a difference between posing a forceful opinion (however unrealistic it may be), and doing so while saying that everyone else's opinion is moot. I'm not saying that you do this, I'm just reiterating the second half of the point, which I don't think is covered by putting the word forcefully in bold (: But again, that's just my opinion (:

I see what you're saying and admittedly I was purposely being very mild when recapping Tergon's statement.  There was a reason I did that, which I forget now.  Whatever it was, context was lost in this format (my bad).  No biggie :)!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1018 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:12 »

Hannelore could offer some insights and maybe her ability to metaphorically knock heads together is what's needed.

On the other hand, her first advice ever to Marten was that he'd been sticking with an impossible situation because he was afraid of change.

She doesn't like her friends to fight, so she's more likely to help put things back together.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1019 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:19 »

Well, that comment kind of relies on the one that follows it - they don't HAVE to be reasonable.  In between the camps that say "They will always get over things and love each other" and "They fought so they have to break up" is the fact that people fight all the time and they do recover from it.  Or, sometimes, they don't and they break up.
The "reasonable" thing to do is to sit down and discuss things and talk it over.  Because - and I say this in full awareness of my own bias, but it's still true - they do love each other.  They need to resolve the issue, and the Disney solution I hinted at would be that they can overcome this and be strong and loving and everything will be wonderful.
But like I noted immediately after saying this, people aren't reasonable.  They get emotional, and they say hurtful things, and they make decisions they later regret.  Perhaps more importantly, they also make decisions in the heat of the moment that were very much the right decision.  Marten and Dora will do what they will do, and they don't have to be reasonable about it.  That was what inspired my comment - and someone who expects a Disney solution isn't being realistic.  But, at the same time, someone who thinks that either of them can simply "Turn Off" their feelings for each other is equally unrealistic.  It just doesn't work that way.

So I guess, yes, I'm a bit of a hypocrite, and in some ways I am just as bad as everyone else.  But if it's worth anything... I at least cop to that freely, and I do try to direct my rants in a neutral direction.  Maybe it doesn't always work, but hey, I'm trying.

Everyone's a hypocrite from time to time and, y'know, this is an internet forum.  Kudos that you can see it when you are guilty of it.  A quality lacking in many.

I considered quoting more from that post, but I didn't want to write more than I already had.  In retrospect, a mistake as it was cherry-picking and I'm going to end up writing more here.  My point was that they need not be unreasonable to break up at this point.  Loving a person and being able to be in a relationship with that person are not mutually inclusive.  I've witnessed a fair share of relationships, unfortunately some of those from the inside, where the couple sticks it out and tries for the sake of love, comfort, or security, and it usually just makes the situation more frustrating, hurtful, or hostile.  When I read the interactions between Dora and Marten as of late, I see two people making themselves miserable because they're scared of the pain of falling out of love and being alone.  Yeah, the latter hurts a lot more, but it's temporary and you move on.  Hopefully to a relationship with someone that is more complementary to you.  Even if you acknowledge Disney is unrealistic, I do think you are putting the power of love on a much higher pedestal than is justified.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy
« Reply #1020 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

I just want to say something about Marten and Dora. I couldn't be fucked looking for quotes and stuff coz hell there is over 20 pages and my eyes are sore.

I once read how a man described how he knew his wife was the women for him, he said that even at their worst point where they were lying to each other, constantly fighting and at the lowest point in their relationship he still wanted to be with her and only her and he just knew that even through all that shit he still wanted to be with her then she was something special and someone who he didn't want to lose.

Now I am not saying "Lover conquers all" I am just saying that if Marten and Dora still love each other and still want to be together even at this point and don't want to be with anyone else then their relationship is stronger than I and - by the looks of it - a lot of people have given them credit for.

I don't know where this arc is going, but to be honest my personal opinion is that I will be happy either way, if they break up or remain together. If they break up we get to see major character development between the entire social circle they are all involved in, will people take sides? Will they try to get them back together? Will the circle fall apart????.

If they remain together we get to see major character development between Marten and Dora and an imperfect relationship that is only (hopefully) going to get stronger and we will get to witness how they work through it, and how each of them will work on their issues as individuals and as a couple.

TL;DR I KNOW!!!

I just wanted to use that because I have never, ever in all my years on different forums ever seen, or thought of doing that EVER!

EDIT: Dang comic posted while I was typing that out.

:(
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 21:30 by melly21 »
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #1021 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

The Order of the Dickbroom accepts all comers, so long as you uphold the tenants of our faith.

Trust in Jeph, for he has not lead us wrong before.
Trust in your fellows, for they stand beside you.
Tempt not the Trolls, for they know not what they do, nor how to perform basic logic.
And the highest command:  Be not a dick, for that is why you wield your Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks.

The day may come when people can share opinions without flamewars erupting.  The day may come when we all are willing to let the story of QC be told without the Rabid Fanboy Horde spraying their foul secretions from every orifice all over the forum.  The day may come when the people acknowledge that Lord Jaques knows what he's doing and we should all trust him a little.

The day may come when the Order of the Dickbroom may be laid to rest.

Until that day, my brethren... WE RIDE.

Tergon perhaps this is the wrong place to discuss this but... but... I love you. I want to make babies with you.

That is all.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

desrae

« Reply #1022 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:29 »

aaaaaaaaaaaand there.

Occams Meataxe

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1023 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:29 »

Nnnnnnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

numbvox

• Plantmonster
  • Elmo is gay.
« Reply #1024 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:30 »

I didn't read any of the rest of this thread, so this is likely off-topic....

...but thank God for this strip.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1025 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:31 »

:mrgreen: :-D

:-D :-D :-D

:-) :-o 8-)

I woulda sworn Marten would pull the plug, but at least the plug is pulled!

And now, time for Emergency Bourbon!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1026 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:32 »

oshi...  :psyduck:

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1027 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:33 »

I have to say, the way he ended it with the last two panels was actually fitting. Better than some punchline, some hanging silence or a sigh/slam, and the look in Marten's eyes just... says it all.

innermoppet

• Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #1028 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:33 »

Since everyone else is sharing their humble (and not so humble opinions) I'm going to put on my prognosticator hat. I predict the following to happen:

1. Dora gets some much needed perspective from Sven
2. Marten goes to talk to Dora at Sven's
3. Sven leaves to let them talk and goes to Coffee of Doom
4. Dora tells Marten she knows she isn't being fair to him and is making him unhappy because she can't be the person he need and breaks up with him much to his shock and sadness.
5. Sven finds Faye drunk off her fine fine ass.
6. Sven starts drinking too.
7. They start talking and end up kissing.
8. Everyone gets a pantload of angst
9. The boards catch fire from everyone's furious typing, yelling and fapping.
10. Hanners does something cute and everyone gets healed by the power of her cuteness.

So sayeth Madame Moppet!

I know I just quoted myself like a jackhole but fuck, no one read my post anyway. We're at 20 damned pages and counting. This is interweb cacophany! So anyhow, I CALLED IT BITCHES!
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Biduleman

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1029 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:33 »

When I saw that he finished the strip but didn't post it before his movie, I was like: nice, early comic tonight, I'll be able to get some sleep! I just read the strip, I'm tired as ever but hell, I'm relieved how the events turned out. And who knows, if one day she is feeling better about herself, they could get back together! But I'm kinda worried about how the relation between everyone will change.

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1030 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:33 »

Poor Marten. :c

I love seeing how far Jeph has come with drawing expressions. Looking at Marten's face in the last two panels, I just had to think "Yup, that's definitely a just-got-dumped face."

Streetwise

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1031 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:34 »

Wow...

Dora and Martin are over  :-o

Damn, it's cold!
You misspelled intelligent. OH THE IRONY. OH THE PSYDUCK!

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1032 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:34 »

I was hoping Dora would do it and I was hoping she'd do it pretty similarly to that.  No bitchiness, just an acknowledgment that there are some things they haven't been able to reconcile no matter how much they both wish they could have.  Her stock just went up.

Teeks

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1033 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:35 »

I'm i the only one who wants to see Marten propose tomorrow

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #1034 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:36 »

Bravo, Jeph.  Not only is this some truly excellent storywork, but the facial expressions and body language?  Some of my favourite artwork thus far.

Like I said, I was hoping they might not break up, or if they did, that it might not be permanent... but however this works, you've got everyone here enthralled.  Keep up the excellent work.

Edit:
Yay, 666 posts.  :-)
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1035 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:37 »

And now, let the inevitable 17 pages of crusty sweatsock fanfic commence whether we want it to or not.

At least now we might get to see more Faye/Angus and Wil/Penelope. Dora/Marten took up most of the comic's scheduled couples' programming.

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

IT BEGINS :psyduck:

Is it just me or is red really hard to read against the grey background?
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 21:46 by bicostp »

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1036 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:38 »

...Well. Dang.  :-(

Marten's eyes were drawn really well in this strip.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1037 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:38 »

So, they're breaking up - but at least it's not over the goddamn porn.

Works for me!

I wonder, though: if Marten waits a few months, and then tries to get Dora back, might that convince her that Marten really does want HER, and that it's not about settling?

Jerein

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1038 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

Comic ~560 to comic 1799?  That's pretty damn good.

I'm sortof relieved as well to see them break up.  Everything felt very status-quoy since all the CoD ladies settled down.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #1039 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

I've never, EVER been a Dora-hater.

Until now.

Lady, if he wasn't happy with you he wouldn't be trying to patch things up, and he certainly wouldn't be tearing up now that you've dumped him. It's great that Dora admits what the problem is, but rather than let them work on it together, she'd rather lose the one guy who's NEVER been an asshole to her. Way to go. Bitch.

Man, I saw this coming, but I really didn't think it would make me this mad. Marten's stricken look in the last two panels is just agonizing. For the first time I seriously want to slap Dora.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1040 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

What sucks is that now I have to wait another 23 hours to see what happens. I'm gonna go re-read my Scott Pilgrim novels or something to pass the time.

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #1041 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

FFFFFF  Shit is gonna be awkward for a long time now.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #1042 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

Huh.

Still rings a bit to me of Dora saying, "Deep down, I'm still afraid you'll hurt me, so I've got to do this to protect myself."

I hope that Marten lets this happen, but also really encourages her to look into getting some help for starting to get over this rut she seems to be spinning in.

ChippyD

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1043 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:44 »

Honestly I think this is for the best. For the both of them.

They're not kids, where a relationship can work simply on the initial animal attraction and first-date fireworks. As good friends as they can be, they've never really shown any genuine "Connection" that a couple in love should. They just happen to have fun, and find each other mutually attractive. But thats not always enough.

It's pretty sad, but it's probably better for the both of them. They need to be with people that they truly feel comfortable with, and WANT to be with from the get go without hesitation. Their relationship, when you really think about it, is based on Martin not wanting to be single, and Dora liking Martin, but happening to also think he's hot. But that's rarely the right recipe for a strong relationship.

I hope Jeph allows them to learn and grow from this.

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1044 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:45 »

Wait-a-sec...where's Sven? o.o Is he getting Chinese or something?  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 21:53 by redragon5000 »

ChippyD

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1045 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:46 »

I've never, EVER been a Dora-hater.

Until now.

Lady, if he wasn't happy with you he wouldn't be trying to patch things up, and he certainly wouldn't be tearing up now that you've dumped him. It's great that Dora admits what the problem is, but rather than let them work on it together, she'd rather lose the one guy who's NEVER been an asshole to her. Way to go. Bitch.

Man, I saw this coming, but I really didn't think it would make me this mad. Marten's stricken look in the last two panels is just agonizing. For the first time I seriously want to slap Dora.

Honestly I think Martin has abandonment issues when it comes to girlfriends. Remember what he went through with his last one? All the crap he put up with in HOPES of being with Faye?

He has security issues, and it seems like he really will put up with just about any shit in order to not be alone. That's not healthy. Dora might be doing him a favor by forcing him to realize this (Hopefully) and really evaluate what sort of relationship he wants out of life.

hbrad1977

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1046 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:47 »

Damn. I cried. :(

Maybe this is for the best but they honestly love each other and so it is just sad. :(

But please, please, please no Marten/Faye. *begs*

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1047 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:48 »

Honestly I think this is for the best. For the both of them.

They're not kids, where a relationship can work simply on the initial animal attraction and first-date fireworks. As good friends as they can be, they've never really shown any genuine "Connection" that a couple in love should. They just happen to have fun, and find each other mutually attractive. But thats not always enough.

It's pretty sad, but it's probably better for the both of them. They need to be with people that they truly feel comfortable with, and WANT to be with from the get go without hesitation. Their relationship, when you really think about it, is based on Martin not wanting to be single, and Dora liking Martin, but happening to also think he's hot. But that's rarely the right recipe for a strong relationship.

I hope Jeph allows them to learn and grow from this.
I disagree. I know a lot of people have been saying that Marten and Dora don't have any kind of real connection, or that they aren't really in love, or whatever, and I disagree with that, but even if that was true, that's not why they broke up. They broke up because Dora's issues won't let her trust Marten enough for the relationship to work. Which makes it all the more painful to watch honestly. Knowing that it could've worked, in other circumstances, since Dora's issues aren't something you can blame her for. And they still might get back together, if Dora gets counselling, works through her issues. I wouldn't hold our breaths tho.
 :-( :cry:

jaredstar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1048 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:49 »

rest in peace dartin

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #1049 on: 17 Nov 2010, 21:49 »

Warning - while you were reading 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I hadn't even started posting yet...

At any rate, what has been done cannot be undone. Dora bared her soul to Marten and explained what's been bothering her. Faye got namedropped, which I'm sure will be the cause of about 10 pages worth of posts over the next 24 hour period. Marten looks like he just kinda blue screened in the last two panels.

I'm sorry Jeph, that you are sad over this turn of events. I respect you for making such a hard, yet smart, decision with these characters. I'm sorry Marten, for having the relationship you tried so hard to maintain fell apart. I'm sorry Dora, for not being able to control your insecurities and ultimately having them crash down on your head. It must feel terrible, and make you feel utterly powerless. I'm impressed and happy that she acted like an adult and simply put her cards down for Marten to see. Finally I'm sorry Faye, because I have a feeling that word of you being the reason for Dora's concerns will reach you in some way. Let me tell you, THAT is going to be when you need that emergency bourbon.

Also, SO NOT going to post tonight if I can help it. I might lurk though, watching shippers tear at each other is a form of internet entertainment that, like baseball, is a national legacy and my never die.

Warning - while you were reading 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

GOD DAMMIT OKAY

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
I had something witty to put down here but.....
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36   Go Up