• 11 Jun 2024, 13:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment of the Week:

Dora's got her next career planned out.
Jim and Dora - I'll be scared when their plan comes together.
Jim the Hipster Baker.
"Totally have time to clean this up."
Dora the baby breeder, nice ring to it.
Check Please!
Marigold starting to dance.
Marigold stopping when she got an audience...Creepy Hanners.
Babies - Awful, little mewling poo-larvae.
Technically Jim's divorced next Tuesday.
:I Dora, finally gets the hang of Jim's humour...hopefully.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 27th June - 1st July (1956-1960)  (Read 86223 times)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT: 27th June - 1st July (1956-1960)
« Reply #200 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:57 »

Goons.  Of course.

I'm betting Jim's daughter is a teenager (13 years old, but still a teen).

And yes, I'm betting that interactions between her and Dora will bring back way too many reminders of how she was as a teen.

Especially when Jim reveals that his 15-year-old son is staying with his ex-wife.

Since Dora pretty much came out of the womb in pancake makeup, I kinda doubt it.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #201 on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:00 »

My goodness. What a silly argument  :psyduck:

Not sure what Tiogyr was saying toward the end there, but the forum is a separate entity from you. If your country goes to war with France, are you personally at war with France? As a citizen you may take part, support it, or oppose it, or do something else, but it's not like your country was divided into millions of identical pieces. If the forum as a whole is trolled, that means the forum is in a frenzy because either a lot of people are going a little crazy, or one person is going a lot crazy, or a few people are going a little crazy while some are going a lot crazy, etc. But the state of the forum is not a fact about every individual inside.

I've got an even better comparison: I live in a rural town in Georgia. My mailing address is in that town, all my utilities are run through that town, but I'm not a part of that town's community (I'm not even allowed to vote in the local ordinances because, even though my address says I'm in that town I don't actually live within the "limits" of that town).

Same situation here, I have an account, I post and discuss things, but I'm not part of the community in any meaningful sense (unless having access to the DISCUSS forum is the only metric being used here).

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #202 on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:09 »

Agree with Tiogyr. For me, being part of a community in a forum is more than just getting registered but I guess that's just me + a few others.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #203 on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:15 »

Tiogyr, I think your point is the opposite of my point... If you kick up a huge fuss all over, go crazy enough, the forum will be considered to be in a 'crazy' state. You are a component of the forum that has an effect on it overall, whether you have an emotional attachment to it or not. And you can vote in it too!

I just meant that if the forum is now crazy because of you, or anyone else, doesn't make me crazy.

Also, people have different definitions of community.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #204 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:52 »

Tiogyr, you got people welcoming you in and including you and all, and you're finding ways to logically discuss or contemplate it. Don't knock it, man =/

P.S. I can NOT believe that forums for other webcomics passionately hate QC that much.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #205 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:56 »

It's SA.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #206 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:19 »

The forum that shows at the top of the front page how many users it has banned!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #207 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:35 »

...anyways

Jeph has been doing a good bit of foreshadowing recently.

Who wants to lay bets that this sets Dora on a contemplative train of thought which arrives at a station of self-realization in "I-ain't-getting-any-younger-and-if-I-want-to-do-the-whole-marriage-and-kids-thing-I'm-gonna-hafta-get-on-wid-it"-ville.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #208 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:48 »

Who wants to lay bets that this sets Dora on a contemplative train of thought which arrives at a station of self-realization in "I-ain't-getting-any-younger-and-if-I-want-to-do-the-whole-marriage-and-kids-thing-I'm-gonna-hafta-get-on-wid-it"-ville.

and then she can abandon jim and go back to marten and marry marten and have adorable little identical kiddies and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Or something.

gangler

« Reply #209 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:51 »

...anyways

Jeph has been doing a good bit of foreshadowing recently.

That's a hell of a big if.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #210 on: 29 Jun 2011, 13:11 »

haha reading todays strip:
Flag on the play-
Illegal motion by offense, penalty: date over.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #211 on: 29 Jun 2011, 13:28 »

So Jeph is trying to get his readers in a tizzy over some post-Marten/Dora breakup drama? All he's done so far is disappoint me with this plotline. It's not very engaging at all these days.  :-(

TheEvilDog

« Reply #212 on: 29 Jun 2011, 13:37 »

So Jeph is trying to get his readers in a tizzy over some post-Marten/Dora breakup drama? All he's done so far is disappoint me with this plotline. It's not very engaging at all these days.  :-(

Well lets see you write and draw nearly 2000 strips, 8 years worth of comics. Don't judge the arc until its done.

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #213 on: 29 Jun 2011, 13:49 »

Well lets see you write and draw nearly 2000 strips, 8 years worth of comics. Don't judge the arc until its done.
And then they all fucked!

This board needs a yelling bird smiley!
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

ems

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #214 on: 29 Jun 2011, 14:40 »

Good God. I'd end the date too, if I were Dora. Marriage and breeding are two things (other than religion and politics) that I do NOT want to hear about on a first date.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #215 on: 29 Jun 2011, 15:09 »

Me too.

Those kind of 'jokes' are commonly a way of getting your intentions out there to test reactions; if it goes bad, just say "Kidding!"

Creeper.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 15:10 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

TheEvilDog

« Reply #216 on: 29 Jun 2011, 15:28 »

Poll results;

Bakery Hipsters - Who'd have thought it?  0 (0%)
But the scones, what about the scones?!  8 (14%)
Kids, bloody impatient little beasts.  2 (3.5%)
Hey Jim, wheres the love? Oh wait, there it is...  3 (5.3%)
"D'aww"ing Dora? Scary....  8 (14%)
Kids + Alone + Source of flame = Great Idea. Not!  9 (15.8%)
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!  15 (26.3%)
Errr, who cares? Potential new character!  12 (21.1%)

Total results - 57

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #217 on: 29 Jun 2011, 15:42 »

Sometimes it's what you say.

Sometimes it's how you say it.

Sometimes it's when you say it.

Jim hit the trifecta.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #218 on: 29 Jun 2011, 16:12 »

So Jeph is trying to get his readers in a tizzy ...(snip)

He doesn't have to try, really...

How many times has there been a joke like this, the forums have cried that THEIR HAPPY RELATIONSHIP IS OVER NOW, and then the next day they are chatting away like it didn't happen?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #219 on: 29 Jun 2011, 17:14 »

That's silly. I can't make a big-budget movie either but that doesn't mean movie are somehow exempt from critiques. At this point in time, I find the arc none too engaging. That's all I'm saying.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #220 on: 29 Jun 2011, 17:18 »

But you should also know by now that Jeph knows how this current arc is going to end, we don't. Therefore it is impossible to judge it without all the relevant information.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #221 on: 29 Jun 2011, 17:26 »

Speaking of "how the arc will end"...

It would be amusing if it turns out that Jim's ex-wife somewhat resembles Dora as well.  :-D

Out of left field, yes, but for some reason it just popped into my mind.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #222 on: 29 Jun 2011, 17:35 »

But you should also know by now that Jeph knows how this current arc is going to end, we don't. Therefore it is impossible to judge it without all the relevant information.
It's kinda weird how you seem to think it is impossible or invalid to be bored with QC at the moment. Others have posted similar sentiments too, btw.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #223 on: 29 Jun 2011, 17:38 »

Because what we know would fill a book.

What we don't know would fill a library.

I'm content to sit amongst the stacks and take my time reading through each book.

You're getting bored with the preface.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #224 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:10 »

Good analogy. Prefaces can be really boring.

And tender makes a very good point.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #225 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:11 »

You're getting bored with the preface.

Saying "I haven't enjoyed what I've read so far" isn't the same thing as judging the entire arc.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the preface analogy... I don't think we're reading a preface, it's a part of an ongoing story.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #226 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:16 »

My point was, and still is, every tale exists for the sole purpose of being told, be it for good or ill. It doesn't matter if its the greatest piece of literature or the most error filled piece in history, the tale itself is not wasted, only the opportunity to know the tale. You guys must think the same because you're still here, you still want to know whats going to happen in this tale.

ems

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #227 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:18 »

Not to detract too much from the argument, but has anyone else done the math? 41 - 13 = Dora is OLD (okay, so 28 isn't THAT old, but it feels like it because she doesn't look it at all).

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #228 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:26 »

Not to detract too much from the argument, but has anyone else done the math? 41 - 13 = Dora is OLD (okay, so 28 isn't THAT old, but it feels like it because she doesn't look it at all).

You must have a really warped view of what 28 year olds look like. People don't start to look that much older until they are in their mid to late 30s to me.

gangler

« Reply #229 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:32 »

Dorothy's no child. I wouldn't describe her as elderly, but she has never been someone new to womanhood in my recollection. Twenty eight sounds about right.

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #230 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:32 »

I'm going to be 30 years old tomorrow and look like this. You really can't go by appearances when trying to judge someone as "old" until the crows feet/gray hair start showing up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #231 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:42 »

Next stop for Dora - Tai's Party.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #232 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:45 »

Therefore it is impossible to judge it without all the relevant information.

The problem is, you're comparing two completely different forms of media. An episode of a series contains all the information that is relevant for that episode, if not the series. You have that information. The problem with a comic is that it isn't an episode, but rather a slice of an episode, so we don't know everything about what is happening. Just as the "Talk" storyline could have been considered an episode, or the "Kiss", we have to treat the "Jim Date" as the same, albeit an incomplete episode, so we don't have all the information.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 18:53 by TheEvilDog »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #233 on: 29 Jun 2011, 18:53 »

The problem is, you're comparing two completely different forms of media. An episode of a series contains all the information that is relevant for that episode, if not the series. You have that information. The problem with a comic is that it isn't an episode, but rather a slice of an episode, so we don't know everything about what is happening.

This seems to be the greatest non-argument I've come across in some time. You're arguing totally at cross purposes IMHO.

One person has said "I haven't enjoyed what I've read so far", and so far all of your replies have been interesting and arguably TBI (True But Irrelevant).

Honestly, I don't see how any of your points counter the original simple observation of not having enjoyed the arc so far. If the person making that statement had said "... and I'm never reading the comic again" then maybe what you're saying would be relevant, but they didn't.

So one person hasn't enjoyed the arc so far. Just let it go.  :-P

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #234 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:01 »

My point was, and still is, every tale exists for the sole purpose of being told, be it for good or ill. It doesn't matter if its the greatest piece of literature or the most error filled piece in history, the tale itself is not wasted, only the opportunity to know the tale. You guys must think the same because you're still here, you still want to know whats going to happen in this tale.
Cool, so you admit that it is possible that QC might not be the most riveting thing in history? I doubt even Jeph thinks that or anything close to that of his own comic (though of course, we are all our own worst critics).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #235 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:05 »

Cool, so you admit that it is possible that QC might not be the most riveting thing in history? I doubt even Jeph thinks that or anything close to that of his own comic (though of course, we are all our own worst critics).
Oh, I will admit that some parts are literally painful to read through, especially the breakup arc. But at the same time its the mark of someone trying to improve their ability to tell a story, and that alone is enough for me to keep reading. I'll take the good and I'll take the bad, because the story is there.

Vista

• Plantmonster
  • The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.
« Reply #236 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:07 »

The problem is, you're comparing two completely different forms of media. An episode of a series contains all the information that is relevant for that episode, if not the series. You have that information. The problem with a comic is that it isn't an episode, but rather a slice of an episode, so we don't know everything about what is happening. Just as the "Talk" storyline could have been considered an episode, or the "Kiss", we have to treat the "Jim Date" as the same, albeit an incomplete episode, so we don't have all the information.

When we are kicked in the face, we don't have all of the information of whether or not, in the future, we'll actually appreciate having been kicked in the face.  Maybe we were being a pompous jerk and this was the wakeup call.  It would still be hard to say that, objectively, kicks in the face are therefore worth it, and therefore that we shouldn't ask the kicker not to kick us again.

(Disclaimer: I like this story arc.  I don't think of it as violence being done to me.  :-P)
"Himemiya, I've misjudged you!"
"My image of you is ruined!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #237 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:29 »

...You know something? I think you're gonna be dead on.

She's going to see Tai, tell her about what happened, then last panel will be Jim helping his daughter clean up.

FRIDAY will be Dora finally running into Marten.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #238 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:39 »

Honestly, I don't see how any of your points counter the original simple observation of not having enjoyed the arc so far.

My intention was never to counter the original observation. I don't care if someone likes or dislikes the comic; I simply found Dog's statement to be odd and disagreeable.

My comments weren't aimed at you, sorry. I'm completely with you, actually. :)

I'll just bow out of this conversation now.

...You know something? I think you're gonna be dead on.

She's going to see Tai, tell her about what happened, then last panel will be Jim helping his daughter clean up.

FRIDAY will be Dora finally running into Marten.

I reckon that it's more likely that Dora will run into Jim's ex-wife... or something else none of us have thought of. I doubt she would be in the mood for the extra drama of trying to walk into that party. But, well, we shall see.

SJCrew

« Reply #239 on: 29 Jun 2011, 19:40 »

I'm hard pressed to find a situation in which the word 'breed' would ever come out of my mouth in casual dinner discussion, dating or otherwise...

ems

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #240 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:14 »

I'm going to be 30 years old tomorrow and look like this. You really can't go by appearances when trying to judge someone as "old" until the crows feet/gray hair start showing up.
I have crow's feet and I'm only 23. I also get told I look older than what I really am. So yeah, it's all a matter of opinion.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #241 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:34 »

Good God. I'd end the date too, if I were Dora. Marriage and breeding are two things (other than religion and politics) that I do NOT want to hear about on a first date.

heh, religion and politics are usually the first things I cover, get it over with right away so I don't waste time with someone I'm seriously incompatible with.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #242 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:38 »

I'm hard pressed to find a situation in which the word 'breed' would ever come out of my mouth in casual dinner discussion, dating or otherwise...

"Oh you have a dog? What breed is it?"
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #243 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:44 »

Sometimes it's what you say. Sometimes it's how you say it. Sometimes it's when you say it. Jim hit the trifecta.
So very true. Breeding? That word carries such a barnyard connotation.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #244 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:49 »

So very true. Breeding? That word carries such a barnyard connotation.

Either that or Jane Austen (or what I like affectionately to refer to as "bonnet drama").

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #245 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:30 »

Me too.

Those kind of 'jokes' are commonly a way of getting your intentions out there to test reactions; if it goes bad, just say "Kidding!"

Creeper.

Sometimes that's true, but in this case, the over-the-top phrasing - "breeding age" - makes it hard to imagine he didn't mean it as a joke.  I don't understand why some people seem to think otherwise - I kind of think even Dora is just playing along.

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #246 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:31 »

Did anyone else notice the art on the wall? Not the usual. Wonder if Jeph was expressing himself or just filling space.

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #247 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:31 »

"Oh you have a dog? What breed is it?"

ew, dogs

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #248 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:38 »

But they're fuzzy!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #249 on: 29 Jun 2011, 22:03 »

Yes, but they almost always suggest ridiculous substitute pronouns like "xur" and "hxe"*

Refering to a person as "it" is nearly universally offensive, but if you mean a drawing of a person, it would indicate the drawing, not the person.

*These may or may not be actual proposed ridiculous substitute pronouns, I just pulled them out of my ass.

hir and SHe are actual proposed ridiculous substitute pronouns.

I think Doug Hofstadter said it best:
Someone who...is trying to eliminate gender-laden pronouns from their speech altogether can try to rely on the word "they", but they will find themself in quite a pickle as soon as they try to use any reflexive verbal construction such as "the writer will paint themselves into a corner", and what's worse is that no matter how this person tries, they'll find that they can't extricate themselves gracefully, and consequently he or she will just flail around, making his or her sentence so awkward that s/he wis/hes s/he had never become conscious of these issues of sexism.  Obviously, using "they" just carries you from the frying pan into the fire, as you have merely exchanged a male-female ambiguity for a singular-plural ambiguity.  The only advantage to this ploy is, I suppose, that there is/are, to my knowledge, no group(s) actively struggling for equality between singular and plural.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up