THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 14 Jun 2024, 00:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And yes, it is time for... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!

Momo and Sam meet Marigold!
- 0 (0%)
Did you know there is a swamp down by the bike trail?
- 3 (5.9%)
ALL HAIL FROGLORD, KING OF THE AMPHIBIANS
- 15 (29.4%)
You could put her in the dishwasher!
- 1 (2%)
I am not some kind of kitchen appliance.
- 0 (0%)
Marigold consults the manual:
- 0 (0%)
"...the chassis' covering may be removed and placed in a dishwasher..." I'M TAKING A SHOWER.
- 2 (3.9%)
Momo! You're all wet! Did you fall in a LAKE?
- 1 (2%)
SQEEEEK (Hee)
- 0 (0%)
Heeeehee(SQUEEEK)STOPPIT
- 2 (3.9%)
Faye informs Raven about Padma
- 0 (0%)
Dora inquires - Shoes? YES I LOVE SHOES.
- 1 (2%)
BS. What were you really talking about?
- 0 (0%)
How do you know?
- 0 (0%)
Raven's a terrible liar.
- 0 (0%)
Same ratty Chucks since I met you.
- 0 (0%)
The right one might be a rat carcass.
- 0 (0%)
Duck duck duck BOOBS!
- 16 (31.4%)
ARGAFARGL YOU ARE SO DEAD
- 6 (11.8%)
Note to self: start knocking before entering your apartment.
- 4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)  (Read 69343 times)

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCDT: 2026-2030 (3-7 October 2011)
« Reply #150 on: 05 Oct 2011, 10:48 »

I suspect that one of the reasons Hannelore enjoys squeaking Momo so much is because it's a lot like poking someone without the anxiety of touching a real person.  Yes, I know she's be seen to touch people before, but I suspect that for the most part she was forcing herself to try to be normal (with or without the use of medication).  She's come a long way, but I'm sure she's still not 100% comfortable touching real people yet no matter how much she tries to tell herself it's ok.

And yes, I do know how creepy 'Hannelore enjoys squeaking Momo' sounds.   :psyduck:
"It's not safe there."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #151 on: 05 Oct 2011, 11:25 »

At least the sound effect wasn't "SQUICK!"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #152 on: 05 Oct 2011, 11:38 »

I wouldn't want to turn on my electric shock system while covered with water.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jam

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #153 on: 05 Oct 2011, 11:40 »

Never thought of it that way Paranoid, I thought Hannelore wasn't just uncomfortable touching others but just really doesn't want to.
To me it had to do with how she needs things clean, so the sound is comforting... Or addicting! Next comic, squeak intervention!

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #154 on: 05 Oct 2011, 11:56 »

Well, that too.  :-D
"It's not safe there."

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #155 on: 05 Oct 2011, 12:52 »

Well, this week's cheesy pun has been dealt with.

Giggling Hanners is cute. :-D
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #156 on: 05 Oct 2011, 14:24 »

What do cheese curds have to do with Momo's skin?

:-D
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #157 on: 05 Oct 2011, 14:26 »

For comic #2028...

1. Squeaky-amused Hanners of panels 6-7 is both cute and funny.  I laughed at the gag :-) .

2. Background characters looking on (in this case, Marigold) only makes the gag funnier.

3. Interesting to know that Momo does indeed have some "non-human" joint-connections.  I think I would have liked that better than the too-human looking Momo, especially since Momo v2 was inspired by the "obviously a robot" Nano of the Nichijou anime series.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #158 on: 05 Oct 2011, 14:48 »

Never thought of it that way Paranoid, I thought Hannelore wasn't just uncomfortable touching others but just really doesn't want to. To me it had to do with how she needs things clean, so the sound is comforting... Or addicting!
I think it's more than that. What wouldn't Hanners give for a machine-washable integument, rather than the oddly-shaped bacteria colony enclosing her now?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #159 on: 05 Oct 2011, 15:13 »

Hannelore was...kind of a jerk in this comic.  I don't find invading someone's personal space very funny.  This was disappointing since Hannelore has so far been the nicest character in the strip.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #160 on: 05 Oct 2011, 16:18 »

Hanners can be a bit of a jerk on occasion just like everyone else can be at one time or another.

Squeaky clean Momo - an axiom in real life.

As for her Electroshock Defense, I just had a sudden thought - what if that's actually a facility of her old Chassis and is not available in her new one?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #161 on: 05 Oct 2011, 16:19 »

I suspect that one of the reasons Hannelore enjoys squeaking Momo so much is because it's a lot like poking someone without the anxiety of touching a real person.  Yes, I know she's be seen to touch people before, but I suspect that for the most part she was forcing herself to try to be normal (with or without the use of medication).  She's come a long way, but I'm sure she's still not 100% comfortable touching real people yet no matter how much she tries to tell herself it's ok.

And yes, I do know how creepy 'Hannelore enjoys squeaking Momo' sounds.   :psyduck:
There's probably also a certain fascination with a body that doesn't have all the hygienic issues of the human form.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #162 on: 05 Oct 2011, 16:48 »

Momo told Sam that the new body has an electric self-defense mechanism.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #163 on: 05 Oct 2011, 17:26 »

There's probably also a certain fascination with a body that doesn't have all the hygienic issues of the human form.

In before the inevitable shipping.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #164 on: 05 Oct 2011, 17:35 »

In before the inevitable shipping.

Hehe, I came really close to using that line to call the Momolore shippers to arms too.   :evil:
"It's not safe there."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #165 on: 05 Oct 2011, 18:41 »

Momo told Sam that the new body has an electric self-defense mechanism.

She die?  Hmmmm i don't remember that - But then, sometimes I'm a seivehead on such details
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #166 on: 05 Oct 2011, 19:19 »

Ah, Kugai, I see you're giving your own tribute to Steve Jobs' passing by making the spelling errors that the Newton wouldn't have caught. ;)
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #167 on: 05 Oct 2011, 19:43 »

Didn't Steve kill the Newton?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #168 on: 05 Oct 2011, 19:52 »

(moderator)
Shipping is not inevitable.
(/moderator)

Momo mentions the self-defense system in strip 2012.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #169 on: 05 Oct 2011, 20:19 »

(moderator)
Shipping is not inevitable.
(/moderator)

What, we can't imply that Hanners has a squeeky fet.......

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #170 on: 05 Oct 2011, 20:27 »

OK, for all the rampaging cuteness in the rest of the comic, what's giving me the giggles is Hanners' first line. I'm imagining "Did you fall in a LAKE?" in the squeaky voice Jeph says (in his Tumblr) she has.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #171 on: 05 Oct 2011, 21:17 »

OK, for all the rampaging cuteness in the rest of the comic

Can someone explain how this is cute?  It'd be like Hanners going up to Marigold and pinching her fat while laughing, then continuing to do it when Marigold asks her to stop.

Momo has shown to be both very sensitive and aspiring to be more like a human.  Having Hanners point out her robotic flaw and laughing about it is rude...to continue to do it after Momo says for her to stop is horrible.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #172 on: 05 Oct 2011, 21:38 »

Watch the next comic be Hanners standing there looking electro-fried and smoking while Momo stands surrounded by an electric aura and saying "I told you to stop!"

Momo would be totally justified in such retaliation. I get the feeling that Jeph isn't going to do that to Hanners though...
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #173 on: 05 Oct 2011, 21:43 »

Seriously?  Personally I put it on par with being excessively tickled by someone even though you asked them to stop.  I'm not exactly Mr. Sociable in real life, but even I know that this is perfectly common and acceptable behavior when among close friends, and I would like to think that Hannelore and Momo are becoming close friends by now.  We've seen much worse behavior between friends on this comic in the past: just look at Faye and Marten.  Surely the robotic equivalent of a poke or tickle can hardly be called rude, especially in this context.  Now, if Hannelore whines about the upcoming payback Momo is planning on dishing out it'd be a different story, but I really don't see that happening.
"It's not safe there."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #174 on: 05 Oct 2011, 22:38 »

It's cute because Hanners can finally take a little step out of her hangup- and OCD-imposed shell and actually interact with another being in a physical way. She's getting to do at age 21 what most others got out of their system when they were four or five.

Momo's getting the other side of this: characters tended to intract with old-chassis-Momo as a doll, more than as a physical being to relate to, so she's sort of the little sister of this relationship--not necessarily what she bargained for when she asked for the new chassis.

I find this interaction charming and cute for the fact of it and also for the novelty the situation presents to both parties involved. Plus the expressions are impeccably drawn and convey emotions far beyond the text.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #176 on: 05 Oct 2011, 23:51 »

Seriously?  Personally I put it on par with being excessively tickled by someone even though you asked them to stop.  I'm not exactly Mr. Sociable in real life, but even I know that this is perfectly common and acceptable behavior when among close friends, and I would like to think that Hannelore and Momo are becoming close friends by now.  We've seen much worse behavior between friends on this comic in the past: just look at Faye and Marten.  Surely the robotic equivalent of a poke or tickle can hardly be called rude, especially in this context.  Now, if Hannelore whines about the upcoming payback Momo is planning on dishing out it'd be a different story, but I really don't see that happening.

I actually find myself agreeing with Stoutflies on this. While it is sort of...nice to see Hannelore able to overcome a hangup this isn't a nice way of doing it. I can't think of a good comparison that doesn't sound creepy, so after trying for a bit I'll just state it simply. Hannelore is doing to Momo something that she would HATE having done to her. Fear of touch aside, it seems kind of mean. I have a suspicion that had it not been Hannelore doing it, say had it been Faye or Dora, there would have been more 'Leave Momo alone' comments made.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #177 on: 06 Oct 2011, 00:01 »

I personally see it as something that's all in good fun as a lone incident, but probably requires a talk if it becomes a repeated occurrence. Certainly not a big deal right now though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #178 on: 06 Oct 2011, 00:41 »

I tend to the cheeky tickling view myself; but either way, it may be prudent to remind ourselves of what Jeph wrote when he originally set up this forum (my emphasis):

Nitpicking [...] is probably Jeph's biggest pet peeve. [...] Sometimes the artist is just having fun.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #179 on: 06 Oct 2011, 00:51 »

Sometimes even I have to admit it's not a documentary.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #180 on: 06 Oct 2011, 01:38 »

Momo's so clean... she squeaks. I think we've finally found someone Hanners feels safe being in physical contact with. Let the Hanners/Momo ship set sail!
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #181 on: 06 Oct 2011, 01:41 »

The ship was sunk only a dozen posts ago.  Watch it!  I'm about to get annoyed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #182 on: 06 Oct 2011, 01:54 »

Watching Jeph draw the comic on Ustream.. I giggle when he moves around Dora's boobs..

just thought you should know that..

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #183 on: 06 Oct 2011, 01:58 »

I like the way we've previously had an AnthroPC duct-taped to a wall, shut in a freezer and punched so hard it needed repair, but seeing one getting prodded is where people draw the line... (and this was basically my first thought as well).

I dunno, when we give an Anthro PC human like qualities via a body that is one shot away from committing high forms of heresy, is that a line people draw? Let's look at it from another angle: What if Momo was a Human Clone? Specially raised and bred to be an empty shell that can be made to "learn" skills and whatnot and willfully serve someone in a capacity that is akin to slavery.

Warning - while you were reading...............

GODDAMMIT, FUCK YOU!! I was too busy watching 21 Jump Street, okay?

Aethir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #184 on: 06 Oct 2011, 02:13 »

I tend to the cheeky tickling view myself; but either way, it may be prudent to remind ourselves of what Jeph wrote when he originally set up this forum (my emphasis):

Nitpicking [...] is probably Jeph's biggest pet peeve. [...] Sometimes the artist is just having fun.

...and we all should know by now, that Jeph enjoys being awful mean to his characters ;)
I still think Momo should give Hannelore a taste of the Idoru Coronal Discharge Self-Defense Mechanismtm tho. It would be essentially equivalent to Faye punching people who cross the line.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #185 on: 06 Oct 2011, 03:05 »

I wish I had a shiny gold coin for every time a bunch of posters on the forums came out and exclaimed that one of the characters had done something horribly offensive to someone else, that this someone else was quite entitled to being absolutely furious, and that the payback would be terrifying.

Only for things between those characters to be perfectly fine in their next comic.

Why on earth do we get so horribly offended on behalf of characters who aren't nearly as thin-skinned or precious as we seem to make them out to be?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #186 on: 06 Oct 2011, 04:02 »

You will tell Dora what you were talking about, or there will be... consequences.

And drama. Lots and lots of Drama, but there's really no way to avoid that now, is there?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #187 on: 06 Oct 2011, 04:08 »

I love shoes.

*puts on ratty-ass vans*

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #188 on: 06 Oct 2011, 04:24 »

Interesting that Faye shares this with Raven.  More interesting that she didn't wait until the boss was safely out of town.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nonethousand

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #189 on: 06 Oct 2011, 04:50 »

Quote from:  QA Dump #8
http://jephjacques.com/post/11097408311/qa-dump-08

Does Momo have nipples? They wouldn’t have a point since she’s a robort, but she was wearing a towel when she was out of the shower.
I’m not answering any of these kinds of questions, nor do I plan on ever doing anything cheesecakey with Momo in the comic, because that would be creepy.

[..]

I’ll be the creepy pervert to ask: just how anatomically correct are anthro PCs? After seeing Momo covering herself with a towel in the last QC comic (2028), I wondered if it was because she has proper bits to keep hidden or if it was because it was more socially acceptable or if it was just because she was still wet from the shower.
Is Momo’s new chassis, erm, anatomically correct? I’m assuming so, because of the towel after her shower, and I seem to remember something about eels on her old chassis…
See above.

:psyduck: come on, people!!  :psyduck:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #190 on: 06 Oct 2011, 04:54 »

Rats !

Now I have to stop being fan of Faye.

Seriously(*) - a woman not interested in shoes ? How unfeminine !

Next thing Faye will do is getting a sex transformation. Ewww !!!

(*) In case you wonder: not really ...

but they are dead and have never been alife.

How can something be dead if it has never been alive in the first place?
Yeah. Thats the question.

Another like that: how can there be anorganic chemistry if those chemicals have never been organic ?

But do you really actually have any trouble understanding what I wanted to say ? I kinda doubt that.

[...] Momo does have that social protocol database, after all, and I suspect it includes the general consensus that naked humanoids walking around public places is a no-no.
Uh.

In many western places, thats not really such a big no-no anymore.

I wouldn't want to turn on my electric shock system while covered with water.
Thats kinda wise.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2011, 05:11 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #191 on: 06 Oct 2011, 05:00 »

Quote from:  QA Dump #8
http://jephjacques.com/post/11097408311/qa-dump-08

any possibility of coming to australia? :3

Someday. Possibly soon, depending on how some secret plans pan out.

He needs to get past the border first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eob-K-iBmWA

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #192 on: 06 Oct 2011, 05:08 »

(click to show/hide)
:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Hilarity will ensue.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #193 on: 06 Oct 2011, 05:16 »

Hannelore was...kind of a jerk in this comic.  I don't find invading someone's personal space very funny.  This was disappointing since Hannelore has so far been the nicest character in the strip.
Hanners and NICE ?

Thats a kinda weird impression, considering that she has, for example, once threatened to kill all her friends because they might file charges against her for posessing an illegal weapon.

Or that she "befriended Marten through STALKING".

Nicest person in the strip, that could be, for example, Marten, Raven, or Winslow.

Though, in the end, everyone on QC is nice(*), even if some (Marigold, Faye, Hanners, Elliot) are socially akward. They still try in the range of their abilities.

(*) Ok there are some exceptions to the rule, especially the biker girl with the killbot.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2011, 05:22 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #194 on: 06 Oct 2011, 05:25 »

I wish I had a shiny gold coin for every time a bunch of posters on the forums came out and exclaimed that one of the characters had done something horribly offensive to someone else, that this someone else was quite entitled to being absolutely furious, and that the payback would be terrifying.

Only for things between those characters to be perfectly fine in their next comic.

Why on earth do we get so horribly offended on behalf of characters who aren't nearly as thin-skinned or precious as we seem to make them out to be?

Most of the characters just bottle things up or avoid the issue due to awkwardness.  It doesn't mean they've completely let it go, past issues are uncorked from time to time. 

It's addressed so people don't think that you can insult or threaten your friends with physical violence day in and day out and expect to still have friends.  People want to root for likeable characters, not mean and insensitive ones.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #195 on: 06 Oct 2011, 06:40 »

Raven and Dora just do not look... right for some reason.

Yes, I know, Dora's got a new hairdo. But Raven's face doesn't look right in that last panel.

Meh. I know, Jeph doesn't care. Still - Dora and Raven need to visit the local salon.
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #196 on: 06 Oct 2011, 06:58 »

Hopefully Dora doesn't do something dumb like try to push Padma and Marten together.  She's had problems in the past respecting his boundaries, and he's not the kind of guy who'd have a quick fling with anyone.

I found the comment about Raven not being permanently written out amusing.  Has anyone, other than maybe the Vespavenger, been portrayed as truly never being able to come back?  Even long gone Sara 's fate is the subject of speculation.  (One of these days she and Ellen will reappear, having married.)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #197 on: 06 Oct 2011, 07:05 »

Yes, I know, Dora's got a new hairdo. But Raven's face doesn't look right in that last panel.

For Dora it's the hair, yes.  Another time skip - it's getting quite long!

For Raven, I think it's the look of combined disgust (curled lip) and concern (raised, slanty eyebrows) that's throwing you off.  The face shape's pretty much the same, although she too has more hair, and the pink region seems to have grown...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #198 on: 06 Oct 2011, 07:25 »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #199 on: 06 Oct 2011, 07:54 »

I just thought that Dora was looking alot like Aubrey from Somthing Positive, less the glasses and choker.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up