THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 03 Jun 2024, 02:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bear with me folks, I've only done this once before: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK??

"About last night...I was drunk, but I totally meant it."
- 1 (0.7%)
"I'm super into you. The whole shebang. Massive crush. Barfin' butterflies."
- 11 (8.1%)
"If it doesn't work out, hey, it happens. I wanna give it a try."
- 1 (0.7%)
"So, uh-* *SMOOOOOCH* :-D
- 16 (11.8%)
Tai and Dora practice the call of the domesticated Marten
- 4 (2.9%)
"Is this normally what happens when people kiss?"
- 1 (0.7%)
"I hope not...I've been doing wrong this whole time"
- 3 (2.2%)
POWER HUG! (and a bruised sternum)
- 10 (7.4%)
"You promise you're okay with this?" "I promise. I'm happy for you guys"
- 0 (0%)
"Good...Right now I would happily sacrifice our friendship for more Dora-kisses"
- 5 (3.7%)
Marten appreciates brutal honesty
- 1 (0.7%)
"You're ok with this?" (again)
- 0 (0%)
SEE? HE'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!
- 6 (4.4%)
"I don't believe in altruism. You must have an angle." "I like seeing my friends happy."
- 1 (0.7%)
"It would make ME happy if you have me a hundred bucks." "Who says we're friends?" (burn)
- 4 (2.9%)
"WE'RE friends" (double burn)
- 14 (10.3%)
"Do you have a belly button?"
- 5 (3.7%)
"Of COURSE I-" *checks* "Yes, I do."
- 13 (9.6%)
BOOP!
- 4 (2.9%)
ANIMATED BOOP! (Emily will rule this comic)
- 36 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2246-2250 (August 6-10 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 94906 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd say no need to brag, Emily, but...there might actually be a need to brag. Well, at least she's happy.  THAT'S ANOTHER FRIEND THAT IS HAPPY SO MARTEN IS NOW HAPPIER.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Comic's up!

Yeah, no. No hundred bucks for you, Gabby.

I think Jeph anticipated this discussion in the forums, and this comic points out all the flaws in such a discussion. Namely: MARTEN'S COOL WITH IT. THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ANYTHING MORE IN IT THAN THAT.

Also relevant: Elliott's advice.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Indeed. Marten never forgot his pants again!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Y'know comic or not i have been in Marten's position, with everyone asking if "He's ok" He might just snap, I know it really got to me after a while, if people ask me if i'm okay and i say i am, I'm not lying, or covering it up, it means I'm okay with it.

So, Maybe Marten will eventually snap out of his passiveness to prove he is okay with it, if people keep thinking he isn't okay with it that is.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

In this situation, what angle would Marten hypothetically be working? :mrgreen:

I can't be mad at Gabby, though, that was an awesome snarkchange at the end. Also she's damn fine, to use the colloquial term. I think she works the fro pretty well, even.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Wow, today's comic made me like both Gabby and Emily even better than I already did - this has been a great week! Which might mean, as someone already suggested, that the week will end with horror and grief, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Less so about Jeph's lack of sleep, but that is pretty normal, I guess.
What do you know about Pokémon?

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I have one question: If Gabby's not a friend, why tell her what's happening?
Francisco

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

I wouldn't say she isn't a friend, I just think Marten was joking around.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Eh, I never saw the point in making a fuss over friends dating exes. If your ex screwed you over by cheating on you or looting your place or something, then of course you warn your friend, but if they still want to date the ex, then on their own head be whatever happens. Otherwise, wish them well and if you really can't stand seeing them together, well, they're two adults you really can't control so all you can do is not see or talk to them until either they break up or you've found a way to get over it.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Hmmm... maybe Elliott's being cool with the Padma situation was a good influence on Marten!

Good to see Gabby again!  Definitely my favorite of the interns.  Funny though - in my eyes, the afro seems to fit her so much better.  Maybe because I just didn't understand her hair before.  I've just never seen Black hair that, when straight, was shaped quite like it was, akin to Marten's.  And I think her nose is a little different than it was in previous comics?  I like that Jeph got in the humidity hair joke - it's a nice touch, and MAN is it ever true. That is Black Hair Annoyance #1.  (Being a dude, I've never pressed my hair, but seen it happen to family all my life, lol)  Now we just need someone to ask to touch Gabby's hair, and we'll have the "Black Hair Annoyance" complete set!  (Seriously people, enough with the "can I touch your hair" stuff.  It's annoying, knock it off.)

Well, at any rate, I am a fan of Gabby, more so after today's comic.  Thanks Jeph! 

P. S. -- it just occurred to me how fast this all happened.  One day they're in for their first day of training, the next day they're hearing all about their boss' love life!  Craziness.  Also interesting how comfortable they all seem to be with Marten after only one day!  Gabby seems like talking to an old friend, what with the "you must be working an angle" bit.  Just... interesting!
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Well, she was at the coffee shop, so she heard all the talk about Tai and Dora.  At this point, might as well fill her in on the new turn of events. 
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

And this is why friendtruism beats altruism: True friends aren't happy to take your money.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I was liking Gabby, but now a little less; my IRL experience suggests your suspicion of others' motives is often a projection of your own. Also, nunnayerbiznis, Ms. Humidity.

Marten appears to be standing up for himself (he's not backing and filling, or apologizing to Gabby for feeling the way he does, so yes, he's standing up for himself) a little more. My IRL experience also suggests that doormats who begin to stand up for themselves, even a little, tend to be branded as mean by those who used to wipe their feet on the doormats. Story/humor possibilities here, but Jeph's driving.

But really, a series of strips or even a side project in which Emily pops in at panel-side and says not-quite-sequiturs would make me smile. It could be called "Sh!t Emily Says."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I can't be mad at Gabby, though, that was an awesome snarkchange at the end. Also she's damn fine, to use the colloquial term. I think she works the fro pretty well, even.

It's simple, Marten's either looking to insert himself back in or to get a raise from Tai.

Or he could be just what he's presenting here - happy to see his friends happy.

I vote for option 2.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Thanks for the reminder of that comic; it's one I really liked.

And I can't help but think that Gabby is acting as a proxy for the comic's readers today, and that Marten is speaking directly to us.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I'm really puzzled as to why Marten is supposed to be upset.

IMHO such a behavior would just prove you're an asshole who thinks they "own" people.
Carpe Diem

Drake

• Not quite a lurker

Film rights, of course.
Runs in the family.  :laugh:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Free watching girl on girl makeouts.

No, I don't believe that either. That would be more in character for Pintsize. (Where is that bugger anyway? We haven't seen him in a while, I believe).

Until now, I was neutral towards Gabby. Now I just dislike her.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

"I don't believe in altruism"

...said nobody trustworthy, ever.

First time I genuinely laughed at an Emily joke/punchline.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Hang on, Gabby doesn't believe in altruism?

No, based on the little we've seen of her, I don't like her either.
My belief is that altruism is one of the best examples of a quality a human can exhibit which demonstrates how far we have come from simply following our basic urges to eat, sleep and reproduce. Or whatever it is we did back before developing opposable thumbs. :P
The idea that you can't just do a selfless act or develop a selfless mind-set just by virtue of being selfless, or a nice person - the idea that there has to be some kind of ulterior motive behind it - that doesn't sit well with me at all.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

About the vote: I went with "He's not over Padma", because I would love for that romance to be rekindled. I don't think it's very likely, though.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

If anything, he was too passive while dating Dora when Tai was but trying to mount Dora and making it none too obvious. 

Was this being passive or just secure enough in the relationship to not be bothered by it? He didn't feel threatened by Tai's crush on Dora. Is a lack of insecurity now considered passivity?

But there really is no debate that Marten is an incredibly passive beast.  It's his one major flaw, particularly in his relationships.

He is easy going. How is this a character flaw?

Jeph has beaten it to death in this comic that Marten can be incredibly passive to his own detriment.  In fact, you could it didn't help in his relationship with Dora.  Or in his fling with Padma.  Marten isn't really a take charge kinda guy.  That's ok, except when you need to be.  And more often than not, Marten is too passive for his own good.

Today's comic.

Oh Emily.  Bless her heart. :-P  She is like Hanners lite.  Just no social awareness.

I was liking Gabby, but now a little less; my IRL experience suggests your suspicion of others' motives is often a projection of your own. Also, nunnayerbiznis, Ms. Humidity.

Marten appears to be standing up for himself (he's not backing and filling, or apologizing to Gabby for feeling the way he does, so yes, he's standing up for himself) a little more. My IRL experience also suggests that doormats who begin to stand up for themselves, even a little, tend to be branded as mean by those who used to wipe their feet on the doormats. Story/humor possibilities here, but Jeph's driving.

But really, a series of strips or even a side project in which Emily pops in at panel-side and says not-quite-sequiturs would make me smile. It could be called "Sh!t Emily Says."

I would love "Shit Emily Says."  She's so incredibly awkward, socially ignorant, and cute that it'd be absolutely hilarious.  Despite he f-up with Marten, she'd be my favorite intern.  Though it helps she's Asian.

On Gabby.  Don't really like her either.  She's snarky and cranky to the point of being a spoilsport and mood killer while Faye's snarkiness is usually thoughtful and humorous while still showing she cares.

About the vote: I went with "He's not over Padma", because I would love for that romance to be rekindled. I don't think it's very likely, though.

I'd agree in a sense.  Never fully got closure with Padma is why I'd say that yes.  I also loved Padma's character as well. 
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2012, 06:57 by Madmartigan »

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I'm really puzzled as to why Marten is supposed to be upset.

IMHO such a behavior would just prove you're an asshole who thinks they "own" people.

This is my take on it exactly.

Yea, Gabby isn't really scoring points with me today. If you can't understand how someone could actually be happy for their friends without an ulterior motive, I think that says far more about you than it does about them and what it says is not flattering.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Marten has had instances where he's said that he's cool with something, then vented his frustrations out later, usually accompanied by a spirituous beverage (it's pretty late at night here, so I may not be firing on all cylinders. Not enough to do archive trawling for sure). But then, he's never done a drunken "gotta-get-me-girl-back" move, so whether he is as cool about it as he says he is, is something to find out.

I've had a couple of instances like that, where someone I've liked for years, tells me they're in a relationship. You're happy for them, but at the same time there's that little "what about me?" voice inside you. Time moves on, I stayed friends with them, still talk sometimes on Facebook (life happens).

Sometimes people are genuinely happy that their friends can find happiness, even in "what if" situations.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

I too am taken aback by Gabby's assumption that Marten has some ulterior motive here. I think he's just genuinely happy that two of his close friends have found a chance at happiness, and I love the little look he has in the third panel, like he wants her to realize that she's being quite tactless right now.

Also, we need an actual conversation between Emily and Hanners. This board just might die with the squee. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe Gabby has a history of the kind of rancorous breakups after which you don't want a friend bringing the ex into your circle all the time.

As to the future of Dora and Tai's relationship, Jeph said on Tumblr that he doesn't know where it's going. So if we guess wrong, we won't actually be wrong until later!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Hang on, Gabby doesn't believe in altruism?

No, based on the little we've seen of her, I don't like her either.
My belief is that altruism is one of the best examples of a quality a human can exhibit which demonstrates how far we have come from simply following our basic urges to eat, sleep and reproduce. Or whatever it is we did back before developing opposable thumbs. :P
The idea that you can't just do a selfless act or develop a selfless mind-set just by virtue of being selfless, or a nice person - the idea that there has to be some kind of ulterior motive behind it - that doesn't sit well with me at all.

On one of the other forums I frequent, someone once argued that no one does anything without a selfish motive. The example provided was something along the lines of why people choose to help someone less fortunate - the argument was that, even though the only reward for them was a feeling of satisfaction from doing something nice and good, it's still selfish because they did that act to get that feeling. I'm not sure I agree with that logic, but I can see how the argument works.

And hopefully I worded that properly.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I think I already mentioned before that I find Marten's behavior a bit "too good to be true", and not realistic. I think that says more about me than anything though. But, like Marten said himself "one situation to another", they had a decently good breakup, not preceded by any kind of bad behavior or sleeping around or anything. And also, Marten had Padma, if only for a while. It may be small-minded of me, but stuff like that really helps...

iconmaster

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Jealousy does not exist in the universe of Questionable Content.

Consider my credulity: stretched.
It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

But what is there in this situation for anyone to be jealous about?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Some are jealous of others' good fortune.

Others (in different situations?) are happy for them.

(Way too simple, but I think that's the idea.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Jokrmein

• Not quite a lurker
  • People won't be People

Put me square in the "Not a fan of Tai" camp. I think she's selfish, and self-centered, and all that's handwaved because she's a cute lesbian. It's fan service at its worst.

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

It seems like, with every new page, an arseload of people decide, "I don't like this character much/at all anymore." I bet there's a hater for each character in the series.

When it comes right down to it, we barely know anything about any of the interns, especially Gabby. What if she grew up surrounded by incredibly self-serving assholes, and it planted doubt in her mind that anyone could be truly selfless? Irrational, yes. But the mind is a rather easily manipulated thing.
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Not believing in altruism is the same thing as thinking every person is a bad person or always jumping to do the morally questionable thing. She's probably been burned badly. I also wonder how much Gabby believes that people can't be nice for being nice when her reason for becoming a librarian is simply, "I like books".

Jealousy does not exist in the universe of Questionable Content.

Consider my credulity: stretched.

Jealousy is what led to a lot of the problems in Marten and Dora's relationship. It even exists in otherwise secure relationships and non-relationships.

Marten hasn't said if he has no romantic feelings for Dora any more, although he probably will always feel something for her. Maybe he's content the relationship is over. Maybe it'd be harder if he hadn't been with Padma. Maybe he doesn't want to tell his friends who they can and can't date. Many maybes.

In any case I'm excited for tomorrow's strip.

Interlude

• Plantmonster

Marten is allowed to still have some feelings for Dora while also being genuinely happy for his friends. I mean, when you really care about someone, it's hard to completely turn off the switch. That doesn't mean he is still thinking of her in a romantic sense. He might every once in a while feel uncomfortable or awkward about the situation, but I don't think it is passive for him to tell both of them that he would be fine with them dating. He's trying to do what he feels is the right thing, and I actually think he is being LESS passive in this story arc.

Having said that, I am less than enthusiastic about this pairing. It's obvious that Tai really does like Dora, and it's something we have been aware of for a while. And I understand why Dora might go with it-- here is someone building her up and making her happy at the moment because of it. There really doesn't need to be any other reason, in my opinion, to date someone. You can get to know them WHILE dating-- that's how most people do it, really. My only issue is that I think they are at different points in their lives. Tai might want to settle into a relationship, but I don't think she is ready to settle down in life. Dora seems like she is ready to settle down. Settle down in the "I am a successful business owner and nearing my 30s and I have made a nice life for myself" sort of way. I think it would be very hard for someone like that and someone still acting like a party-girl to be together without conflict.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I'd let her have the $100

Then charge er double interest

:-D

Seriously though, I think Marten's being cool with it is because he's moved on.  He's probably always gonna have feelings for Dora, but but he has moved on as proved by his short 'Freinds with Benefits' fling with Padma.  Speaking of Padma, I'd like to see her reenter the picture and see where things go from there.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Just a thought about "Tai and Dora are too opposite to work out" ...

My wife and I are total opposites - she's younger by 16 years (but mature because she had to raise her brothers and sisters), she's conservative and I'm not, she's religious and I'm not, she likes action movies and crime shows and I don't, she's from Georgia and I'm from Wisconsin.

And we've been married 13 years.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

TheEvilDog

My wife and I are total opposites - she's younger by 16 years (but mature because she had to raise her brothers and sisters), she's conservative and I'm not, she's religious and I'm not, she likes action movies and crime shows and I don't, she's from Georgia and I'm from Wisconsin.

What works well for you, doesn't necessarily work well for others. As often as "opposites attract" might prove right, it is often just as wrong. As some people have said most relationships work best when there is something in common between the people in the relationship, otherwise what is there? How long can physical attraction alone last?

At the moment, we don't really know if Dora and Tai are compatible, if they have anything in common other than an attraction to girls. We know Dora loves horror films and reading Terry Pratchett, but what about Tai? If there was a horror-fest on, would Tai think "Oh, Dora would like to see that, better get some tickets." Or would it be more like "Rave!WeGottaGoToItDora!"

At the moment, we don't know that much about Tai other than what we can gleam from the comic and from what Jeph deems to tell us. So as it is, there are too many variables to know if this is a dead cert. To say nothing of Dora's own problems with relationships.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My own feeling is that it will go swimmingly for a short honeymoon period, while Tai is excited that her dream of a relationship has come true and Dora is still sucked in by the opportunity to try out for real something that she's been intrigued by for a long time; but then the fundamental differences between their personalities will start to intrude, and the relationship will crash and burn quite quickly.

I don't usually do prediction, so I'll be amused myself to see how I've done.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jokrmein

• Not quite a lurker
  • People won't be People

All I know about Tai is that she loves hitting on other peoples girlfriends. If she was a dude, she'd be that annoying dude-bro who was always scamming on someones girlfriend.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I have a feeling she might change if that helps this relationship.

(or wait, what relationship? they've kissed and exchanged stammers. nothing's official..)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

We'll know how well they work out when they hit the first bump in the road and we discover just how serious Dora is.  We know how much Tai wants.  Dora doesn't want it nearly as much.

Until then, it's vomit inducing butterflies during their "bump the junk" period.  If Dora lets it get that far before disaster.

Personally, I see Dora more with a Jim (that's his name right?) type when she eventually settles down.  A mature equal to really dote and treat her like a princess while also having a successful business. 

We'll see how it goes though.  Coming outta left field from Dora.  But if it makes her happy for the interim, I'm down with it.  Just don't think Tai is the right choice.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Actually, Marten has done the late-night "gotta get my girl back" drunk. If he hadn't, we'd be all posting about the weather right now. (HINT: it was the reason why a Cali-born indie boy ended up in Northampton...)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

Eh, I never saw the point in making a fuss over friends dating exes. If your ex screwed you over by cheating on you or looting your place or something, then of course you warn your friend, but if they still want to date the ex, then on their own head be whatever happens. Otherwise, wish them well and if you really can't stand seeing them together, well, they're two adults you really can't control so all you can do is not see or talk to them until either they break up or you've found a way to get over it.

A mature attitude is not an appropriate response! Moar Drama! Moar Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth!

Seriously though, I never understood the whole "I had sex with them at one point and even though I'm no longer with them you need my permission to do anything with them." thing myself. Does touching genitalia confer some sort of perpetual ownership?

It seems just so Cro-Magnon.

That being said, I've avoided dating the exes of  friends because I noticed that if the relationship ended, it was usually for a good reason, and either the ex I avoid because they did something unethical or my friend no longer has friend status because they did something unethical.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

After some thoughts, one possible reading that came to my mind of Gabby's "I don't believe in altruism" is that she meant it specifically with reguard to hetero guys reguarding their exes. Or, similarly, that she conflated Marten's attitude with the one of a Nice Guy™, which involves a hidden agenda.

Not vert generous of her, but at least she has some excuses, given how gendered stupidity tends to work.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Reminded me of this all of a sudden.

Random Wanderer

• Not quite a lurker

"I don't believe in altruism."

Well, it kind of sucks to be you then, doesn't it? You can try not believing in gravity, too, but that won't stop you from splattering after jumping off a cliff. Marten isn't bound by your failure to believe in his motivations.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Wow, that was certainly off-color.

Love for Emily, though.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Nentuaby

• Not quite a lurker

Oh man oh man. Panels 3 is the greatest. And panel six. That is one AI that is SERIOUSLY REEVALUATING her ENTIRE WORLDVIEW!!!1!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Emily becomes the first person in history convicted of sexual assault on a sentient AI.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up