Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jeph, you're awesome.

Indeed!
Quite!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2306-2310 (29 October-2 November 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 72366 times)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

So. I wonder if one of us could do a guest strip for the boss.

Or better yer, a community-sourced guest strip.
Heh... I tried once, but I don't think he liked it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

1.) Unsolicited Advice For The Author:

Jeph get off of Tumblr

Jeph get off of Tumblr

Jeph get off of Tumblr

Jeph get off of Tumblr

Seriously Tumblr is about the fucking worst network of any people to be involved with or on or in if you have anything bad going on in your life or if you have emotional/brain-chemical issues because even if the vast majority of the internet supports you, every shitlord in existence is there too and they have brought their own personal entourage, so it feels like you're besieged from all sides.

It's not ONLY a voice for every fucking idiot with entitlement issues who thinks their personal existence/crusade is FUCKING FASCINATING and allows them to demand respect in the shrillest, shittiest little voice possible, BUT it has the exciting anonymous ask feature, for all the fun of 4chan-style commentary on how you should kill yourself!!!!!1 WOOOOOOOO

Seriously, Tumblr is a fucking cesspool, get out of there, man.

(Doubly hilarious: when Jeph is taken to task for his fans' wrong-headed behavior! Like, for example, when a fan of QC on Tumblr said that the poster of this insipid-ass commentary, Kearsay or whatever, should be slapped and called her a whore, that was wrong! But turning around and shrieking at Jeph that YOU HAVE A FAN PROBLEM YOUR FANS ARE FUCKSHITS AND SO ARE YOU YOU ARE A BAD PERSON LIKE THEM is evidence that soooooooomeone needs to be taken off the Internet! Hint: NOT JEPH!)

2.) Things That Strike Me About This Insipid-Ass Commentary

Aside from the obvious projection and overidentification going on, and then screaming at the artist when he doesn't validate your projection and overidentification (which is just classy as FUCK), does it strike anyone else as...well...just wrong? Because it looks to me like Marigold does have a muffin-top, like clearly she's pretty pear-shaped, despite remaining attractive to our eyes? That, coupled with her skin conditions and the fact that she's been bullied her entire young adult life, is a very reasonable recipe for body dysphoria.

I'm actually reminded of an insight from earlier posts here that I disdained at the time and that I feel really bad about--we're not actually able to see how the QC chara would look in reality, not perfectly, only a stylized depiction, and we're certainly not able to see how Marigold appears to herself.

Yes, everyone is going to critique art, but there is a difference between legitimate critique of style, or perhaps bringing up in a civilized manner that "for a supposed 'fat girl', Marigold is awfully voluptuous, which I as a reader find disappointing" and this sort of absolutely unmitigated bullshit.

3.) Everyone Be Cool Now Oh Goodness Please Remain Cool

I am very disappointed to find fans of QC (on tumblr, mind) saying the poster of this insipid-ass opinion is a "whore" who should be "slapped" and exercising male privilege all over the place. Come on guys, let's be better than that. Stick to supporting Jeph and, if you can't ignore this moron and their sycophants, stick to calling them a moron and sycophants, because it's exactly what they are.

Also, I think it's a really valid point and should not be ignored that LoliBot brought up earlier: Curvy women are not better than thin women, but they are both beautiful and should be treated with equal respect. Cheesy as it sounds, it really is what's inside that counts. u 3u

Although if you have like, bodily discharge or something, um, you may wanna see a doctor.

(See, if I was on tumblr, I would be taken to task for DISCHARGE SHAMING)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Win thread.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Well done.

I regret looking at the Tumblr comments. Some of those people have what I think of, somewhat sloppily, as a "negative IQ": they make everyone around them stupider.

It's good that Marigirl is around decent and supportive people. It would be better if they weren't so clumsy. She might crawl back into her shell in response to some faux pas by Angus or Emily.

Is someone at the party going to order a pizza? Because the Principle of Maximum Awkwardness requires Dale to show up soon.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Marigold was munching on a burger earlier, and it appears there were hot dogs grilling, so I don't think it's Pizza Time yet.

And I think we're getting a guest strip tomorrow, anyways.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Is someone at the party going to order a pizza? Because the Principle of Maximum Awkwardness requires Dale to show up soon.

Or Sven. 

With a history book. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Smerf

• Emoticontraindication

It's Halloween, and that's not Claire.

It's actually Dale!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's Halloween, and that's not Claire.

It's actually Dale!

Bravo, sir. Well played.
Just another Joe like 46

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

*Reads last three pages of thread*

WELP nothing to do here.

I'm going to go think about dogs. Jeph, if you're reading this, you should too!

(They're fuzzy!)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Edit:  I think I am going to support Jeph by supporting Jeph through merch purchases.

Good thinking. There's at least one shirt I've had my eye on for awhile. Now's the time to grab it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I will never understand just how Tumblr became such a cesspool of people ineffectually trying to make the world better.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome

I will never understand just how Tumblr became such a cesspool of people ineffectually trying to make the world better.

I would wager it has to do with the human ego + taking the idea of demanding progress to its logical extreme and beyond + a lot of angry people from livejournal and the greater blogosphere who feel that the place for social justice and transformation of society is in society's entertainment and basically nowhere else + special snowflake syndrome + not feeling validated enough + Even More Human Ego and then someone was like "what the fuck is this 'sense of decency', let's just throw that out and be shitlords to each other!!!!!" and now, now you have Tumblr Today.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2012, 23:34 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

I would wager it has to do with the human ego + taking the idea of demanding progress to its logical extreme and beyond + a lot of angry people who feel that the place for social justice and transformation of society is in society's entertainment and basically nowhere else + special snowflake syndrome + not feeling validated enough + Even More Human Ego and then someone was like "what the fuck is this 'sense of decency', let's just throw that out and be shitlords to each other!!!!!" and now, now you have Tumblr Today.

I thought this was the evolution of 4chan. Oh wait, it was... damn Tumbler. Angsty teen stage much?
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!

I don't come here much any more, but I suddenly have something profound to say, and I thought I'd feel the better for airing it.

GREAT HORNY TOADS, MARIGOLD! I MEAN, CHRIST, WOULDJA LOOKIT THAT GIRL!

Yes. That's much better.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome

I would wager it has to do with the human ego + taking the idea of demanding progress to its logical extreme and beyond + a lot of angry people who feel that the place for social justice and transformation of society is in society's entertainment and basically nowhere else + special snowflake syndrome + not feeling validated enough + Even More Human Ego and then someone was like "what the fuck is this 'sense of decency', let's just throw that out and be shitlords to each other!!!!!" and now, now you have Tumblr Today.

I thought this was the evolution of 4chan. Oh wait, it was... damn Tumbler. Angsty teen stage much?

It's more "angst-ridden 20something" and "teen shitlords that emulate them", but yeah, lately the presence of the latter is god damn overwhelming, this is true!

Also, no, no, I like 4chan better because 4chan has always been a bunch of dipshits and they don't pretend to be anything else--there's a level of self-awareness there of how awful you, the anonymous person, really is for posting this incredibly unwarranted shit, and there's no hugging, there's no validation, when you fuck up.

That's really the worst part of Tumblr, is this validation bullshit atmosphere. It was born of good intentions, but it is a malignant tumor now
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I don't come here much any more, but I suddenly have something profound to say, and I thought I'd feel the better for airing it.

Yes. That's much better.

Raoul, thou and thy profundity art sorely missed. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome back, non-new person!

Late night, no strip, no guest strip, no status update (unless I'm somehow not getting the Twitter page to update). Growing concerned. I hope Jeph is either all right or else is doing something that benefits him.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's short notice for a guest strip, so might take extra time to get anything in place.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication

Quote from: Christi's twitter
Jeph is feeling better, but he won't be able to draw for a least a few days, so guest strips are still very welcome. Much love.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Folks - Jeph stated that the Marigold business was not the only reason for how he feels, and Cristi said straight out on Twitter that he was ill.  So I think perhaps we should let the matter of the unhappy Internet poster drop now; there's no need to add to the unpleasantness that has erupted on Tumblr (from both points of view on the Marigold issue, in fact).  Please just talk quietly amongst yourselves while waiting for various good friends to finish up the week with guest strips.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I guess it's time for Random Comic Commentary.

And the Random button has selected:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=853

Two things that I enjoyed about reading that one: the knowledge that Angus' persistance really did pay off, and noting that in the first and second frames Dora sees something that Faye does not (at least on a conscious level).

Oh, and the single coffee bean lovingly pounded into your forehead special. (edit: I guess that's three things...)

At least Faye's snark hasn't changed.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Regarding news post:

Fuck.

That is all.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

And...  Jeph is communicating again.

Looks like he had some PROBLEMS yesterday...   I propose we move discussion and well wishes to another thread where he might (however unlikely) see them.

Also so we can get on with the business of over-analyzing the comic.     Which is important.    That's why we're here.     :-D

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.

Wiser men could never come up with something so deep. Speaking of 'deep', Homeric cleavage ahoy!

In other news I had a Keanu Reeves moment when I comic with Dora, Raven, and the Coffeesaurus Rex greeted me today. :psyduck:
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome

"I love your work and I'm grateful that you do it. You're a good and awesome person, Jeph. Fuck anyone who says otherwise." --Wil Wheaton, star of stage and screen

(I have the exact same sentiments, Jeph, as I'm sure does most of the forum. Feel better soon.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

• 1-800-SCABIES

Holy shit,  WIL GODDAMN WHEATON is involved now?   

Yeah things can only improve from here.     8-)

Starting A new thread.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Already done.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

• 1-800-SCABIES

DAAH.

REVERSE THE INTERNETS!!!   *sound of machinery grinding to a halt*

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Regarding news post:

Fuck.

That is all.

My reaction was slightly different, and somewhat out of character from me (at least, not when I'm not at work).

It was one word:

Shit.
Just another Joe like 46

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Seeing only the end results in the Twitter feed, and reading the newspost, I have to agree with both comments by Skaltura and jwhouk, and combine their powers to say: shitfuck.

That was one nasty combo hit for Jeph to take... Good to see that he's still got some HP left, though.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Marigold.

Daaaaang.    1 (1.3%)
Daaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.    0 (0%)
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNG.    30 (38%)
Okay, it's a nice bikini, but really?    4 (5.1%)
If it made Marten THAT tongue tied? DaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG.    13 (16.5%)
She's got a nice shade of blush there.    1 (1.3%)
Marigold's red, Hannelore's orange - what's next? Tai becomes PURPLE!    3 (3.8%)
Seriously: DANG.    8 (10.1%)
Cue the "Sexy And She Knows It" theme music.    3 (3.8%)
Good Heavens, Ms. Sakamoto!    3 (3.8%)
Did I say "DAAAANG"?    4 (5.1%)
Upon further review, Hurricanes Still Suck.    9 (11.4%)
Even if they're not technically hurricanes anymore.    0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

---

Poll has been removed out of... well, I guess respect.
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Seeing only the end results in the Twitter feed, and reading the newspost, I have to agree with both comments by Skaltura and jwhouk, and combine their powers to say: shitfuck.

I'm proud to say that I was still able to articulate an actual sentence; that sentence being: Jesus fucking christ.

I guess that's more of a phrase.

But seriously I winced when I read the newspost. Please get better Jeph, we all love you  :cry:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Jeph, you have no need to apologize for anything.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

My reaction is best summarised by dear Debra Morgan (warning: strong language).

And, yes, don't let it get you down, Jeph.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
No need to review, just concur.
Signature OF DOOM!

iroodbot

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Raven's modification of the T-Respresso machine is very inefficient. It will be 1.1 days before it returns.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I seriously hope Jeph is okay. I have had similar incidents myself, so I know how it can go. The last time I had a severe depressive episode I got blackout drunk and woke up with cigarette burns down my arm. I apparently decided to use it as an ashtray. I don't remember doing it, but I was obviously in a lot of pain when the drunk wore off.

If you read this, Jeph, just know we are all pulling for you. We support you and understand. Take all the time you need to recover physically and emotionally.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Ouch, I've had such episodes of blackout-drinking each time I quit smoking.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

Some people just want to be offended. And if no one offers them offense, then they'll go looking for it and by god, they'll find it.

"I AM NOT OFFENDED BY THIS. I FIND THIS OFFENSIVE."

Carl-E

• Awakened

Ouch, I've had such episodes of blackout-drinking each time I quit smoking.

Unfortunately, the brain really needs its nicotine fix, and gives actual pain signals.  Alcohol is a good temporary pain killer, but does nothing to lessen the cravings.  Most people's brains react to this by saying, "I must not have used enough". 

This is more common than you may realize. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Poll has been removed out of... well, I guess respect.
I figure we might as well use the poll for something.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

TEAM INDEED 4 LYFE

Quite? More like QUIET! HERE COMES THE BOOM!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Unfortunately, the brain really needs its nicotine fix, and gives actual pain signals.  Alcohol is a good temporary pain killer, but does nothing to lessen the cravings.  Most people's brains react to this by saying, "I must not have used enough".
Yeah, and I handled it better the second time around. For one thing, I limited myself to beer, preferably low in alcohol and high in hop (for its soothing properties).

This very day I'm quitting again, by the way. And yeah, I'm starting to feel the pain. And I have no alcohol: I prefer to avoid it altogether the first day.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

I'm proud to say that I was still able to articulate an actual sentence; that sentence being: Jesus fucking christ.

I sang a song! :angel: I do hope it was amusing...

On the subject of his status: Damn. Community hugs anyone?

As to the subject of the poll that is most amusing, I find the lack of an "Indubitably" option most disturbing.
Quote from: MillionDollar Belt Sander

link=topic=28354.msg1107905#msg1107905 date=1351767878
Holy shit,  WIL GODDAMN WHEATON is involved now?   

Yeah things can only improve from here.     8-)

Wait, the God of the Internet just got involved? Oh my Wheaton.
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Non sequitur? With Jeph's experience with booze and tobacco, echoed by few on the forum, I'm ready for another archive binge. Anyone wanna join me?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

What the.....?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

This wasn't what I hoped to return to.  :oops:

Jeph's work ethic is beyond what I can comprehend. I'd be happy to pay him to have a week off once in a while, but he probably wouldn't anyway. It seems to me that the whole thing was sort of "the last drop" and not really an important reason for his breakdown. So squeezing out the comic this last week must have been, well, really shitty. What especially makes me sad is that he'd stated somewhere that he was really looking forward to this arc, the whole Emily party thing, which is indeed an awesome setting. And now I guess he won't be able to quite enjoy it in the same way.

Beh. Fuck.

hate_new_registration

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Sad to hear you'll be unable to do more strips for a little while. I was really looking forward to seeing Marigold in a bikini some more.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. We'll miss you while you're gone.

Mothykins

• Spotted Stegasaurothingy

I tried to click both options, and was sad when I realized it was a one-option poll :'(

Jeph, get well soon~!
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Talking about the comic is also a perfectly cromulent way to show our support for Jeph.

Is Marigold going to put the T-shirt back on? Is she going to feel like she was pushed into an embarrassing situation? How is she going to feel about Tai ogling her?

If Raven can do that with an espresso machine, what could she do with an AnthroPC?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up