THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 Jun 2024, 04:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Return of the OMGTurkeys! What are YOU thankful for?

The strip.
- 66 (13.1%)
Jeph's health.
- 110 (21.9%)
MY health.
- 60 (11.9%)
YOUR health.
- 31 (6.2%)
Family and friends (though not necessarily in that order).
- 86 (17.1%)
This forum.
- 20 (4%)
Turkey and all the trimmings.
- 13 (2.6%)
The interwebs.
- 47 (9.3%)
Something else.
- 24 (4.8%)
Spathe Ham!
- 13 (2.6%)
...must... read... ALL the posts...
- 33 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2323-2327 (19-23 November 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 205252 times)

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

I'm really happy about this development and how it's being handled thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes and think it will be a great education for people to learn how to be inclusive and non-offending.

This is also a pretty great guideline when it comes to discussing how someone identifies themselves:

http://plunderpuss.net/wordpress/a-rather-important-instructional-comic/
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Looks like Marten is taking a page out of Dr. Sheldon Cooper, PhD.'s manual for social interaction.

It really is a non-optional social convention.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

"Hey, Paul, if you could have any superpower of any webcomic's character, which would you choose?"
"I guess Marten's ability to instantaneously sober up between two strips. That guy must get all the chicks."

... just noticed. Of course, on some people coffee CAN have a VERY sobering effect.

[ ... ] They must surely have a policy on the matter. I wonder if I could ask?
I think you should. Asking is / should be free and it would be immensely educational. °O
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Really happy for two things:

A.  The discussion here, while more active than normal, is respectful to each other while still being interesting; and
B.  Marten realizes this is a coffee discussion item, vice need other drinks to try and process. 

Well done. 

And this little revelation certainly clarifies some of Claire's comments earlier in the strip.  I await seeing how some of the others will handle it.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Promethean Sky

• Plantmonster

Thanks Jeph for clearing up the details. One thing I've learned from being around Trans people is that it can mean a whole bunch of different things depending on who's using the term.

I think there are far more Trans people out there than most people realize. Or maybe I just happen to keep crossing paths with them.
Well I thought it was funny.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Really happy for two things:

A.  The discussion here, while more active than normal, is respectful to each other while still being interesting; and
B.  Marten realizes this is a coffee discussion item, vice need other drinks to try and process. 

Well done. 

And this little revelation certainly clarifies some of Claire's comments earlier in the strip.  I await seeing how some of the others will handle it.
Well, it's gotten to the point where people aren't just shooting out questions/speculation about Claire's junk, and getting into the serious territory where these things should end up. It's also great to see trans* people signing up and giving their accounts and insights (and the bajillion links to various trans* information sites also clarified a lot). But it's like someone posted earlier in the thread (I just finished reading it, I am NOT trawling back through to find it, but I WILL thank you anyway for it), and what I've always thought: people just want to be treated as people.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

percivaltercy

• Not quite a lurker

Hi all!

Long time lurker, long time willing to post, and this thread finally made me get my act together.
English is not my mother language, and I hope that it won't show too badly.
I am finally posting here... Not because I identify in any way with any particular character - or their adventures - but because I somehow identify myself with a bit of each one of them, and with many of the forum contributors, in their views.
I just think that this thread is AWESOME, and it tells a lot about you guys. Needless to say, mostly goooood.
I had a bit of an internal debate with regards to whether I should post this in the "Hi, I'm new" thread instead, but finally made up my mind to say something here.
The comic, in many ways, is dealing with Content that might be considered by some people as Questionable, but the wonderful truth is, what I see here is a lot of people who are very much willing to break barriers and show that common acceptance of human beings - no matter what their particular conditions are - is something worth looking forward too. Even in situations where debate arises. In spite of the <irony>occasional</irony> over-analysis.  :psyduck:
Congratulations to you all.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Comics: Good.

Forum: Train crash.

I think I'll take a break from the forum.  No way I'm going to read all that; too much frustration and hostility; too much noise.  Sorry if I thereby also miss out on the good discussion in between.

See you after the storm!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

OK. Just one tiny and utterly tangential observation...but today's strip about Claire really does make me think the QCverse is a post-scarcity world.

"I started transitioning my first year in college"? I had a friend back in college who didn't 'transition' until well after college, and after he was making scads of money on his own. Transitioning is EXPENSIVE. All the more so because it's a wholly elective (duh!) procedure.

So either this is a post-scarcity, everybody's-more-or-less-taken-care-of world, or Claire's family must be rather well-off. Although I guess one could've guessed that because of the artifical prosthetic hand for a firecracker accident.

SQUEEZE BOX

Harlequin

• Not quite a lurker

Jeph's starting to toe the line with "fucking this up."

I would never give permission for someone else to talk about my gender status to anyone else. That's just asking for trouble.

versidue

• Not quite a lurker
  • Sin Pararse

I would never give permission for someone else to talk about my gender status to anyone else. That's just asking for trouble.

Lots of people do, though. People have even mentioned being open in a manner similar to Claire's in this very thread.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I'm finding the strips and the discussion on this comic very interesting. Although I am wondering where everyone else in the party has gone.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Although I am wondering where everyone else in the party has gone.

We've got Claire and Marten on stage; we know that Steve's in bed, Emily has gone floppy (I'm picturing on the sofa or a rug), and Faye and Angus are smooching on the jetty. 

That leaves Tai and Dora (smooching somewhere else?), Marigold (hiding, perhaps?), Cosette (cuddling Steve?)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

I'm finding the strips and the discussion on this comic very interesting. Although I am wondering where everyone else in the party has gone.

Let's see...  Faye and Angus are making out, possibly making slurping sounds, on the dock.  Steve passed out in bed.  Emily passed out...  somewhere unspecified.  That leaves Hanners, Marigold, Gabby, Cosette, Clinton, Dora, and Tai...

You're right!  That's a lot of people unaccounted for!   :?  (How big is the cabin, anyway?)

EDIT:  Bleah, ninja'd, whatever.

Oglokoog

• Not quite a lurker

too much frustration and hostility

There's hostility here? I haven't seen any.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

1. Claire told Marten under what specific circumstances he can tell people (if they specifically ask about it).

2. Marten is decidedly not the person to blabber about (other people's) personal stuff to strangers, and since the people he might potentially tell are also considered friends of Claire as part of the big Marten Friendship Adoption Circle (MFAC) this is even less likely.

3. The conversation between those two is not over yet.

Gotta run to class, stay frosty :police:

Required_Field

I was kinda hoping the comic would steer into Sci-Fi what with previous strips delving into the A.I in the universe, instead of sexuality of the characters.  Not that it should be an attack on the lgbt community, but colleges like SMIF shoould have been more conservative in their enrollment of their all female students, or else just make it an open campus.                     

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Should on what grounds, other than prejudice?  Are you arguing for a karyotype to be examined as part of the selection process?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...instead of sexuality of the characters. 

As has been stated, being a trans person is not actually about sexuality, it's about gender. 

...shoould have been more conservative in their enrollment of their all female students, or else just make it an open campus.                   

:? 

More conservative?  As in openly barring certain types of women?  How would you define that?  Would you have hopeful students subjected to potentially humiliating DNA tests? 

I think you need to read a little more of this thread and think about that idea again. 

Edit:  Ninja'd. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Compared to the other major plot turn threads, this one is mild by comparison.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

I've just started reading Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites...<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Another Pratchett lover here: What you describe above is correct as far as I can remember Equal Rites. I just wanted to add that a sort follow up on what happened to Esk once she was grown up, appeared in 'I Shall Wear Midnight'. This is the latest in the Discworld Young Adult books, and may have been overlooked by some casual Discworld readers.

Anyway, back OnTopic:
I think Claire is quite brave to tell Marten something like this so early in their friendship, and I applaud Marten for his reaction. Now I'll just sit back and watch how the rest of the gang will react.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

Regarding Claire telling Marten that it's okay to tell other people that she's trans*, I really just think she believes Marten is trustworthy enough to judge who he should or shouldn't tell. I guess Claire doesn't want him to feel weird about carrying around a kind of "secret" that he can't even tell his closest friends, a circle of friends she could potentially be part of. Which is extremely brave of course..

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

Marten is probably doing the worst possible thing in this situation. Who knows how Claire's taste buds will react in horror when she tastes Marten's coffee of doom.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

El_Flesh

• BANNED
  • Emoticontraindication

'She' told him to be honest. So he should be honest; it's not a secret, but it's not something to blare out to everyone. Simple enough instructions. If Claire didn't want some people to know, Claire should have said nothing to anyone.

I think this is a cool thing to do with a comic. Everyone can be offended. Life is an exercise in often being offended. We learn to act less offensive with education, and that's what this particular storyline will do. I've got to admit, I have alot to learn about trans people, and it's my hope that I'll react much better if I ever meet one thanks to this storyline.

miados

• Obscure cultural reference

well it is nice how he revealed claire to be a transgender person in my opinion at least. there are so many ways that could have happened that were bad. the first person like that, that i know is like that, i didn't even feel the hint that she was like that.

HueItzCoatl

• Not quite a lurker

Just finished reading the last comic and I have to say that I didn't see that one coming. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of knowing a Trans comic character. I'm curious to see how the whole things plays out.

I do have to say that unlike Marten, I would have totally freaked the fuck out and asked her if I could see her junk....then again I'm always up for seeing some junk!
I'm never quite sure where the line is until I've crossed it.

Carl-E

• Awakened

If Claire started transitioning in college, it wasn't something she was hiding, so I tend to think her attitude is to be open about it, if people ask.  And that's what she's told Marten.  Sometimes that stance can lead to problems, but she's a brave one despite her nervous, timid appearance. 

Or maybe she's nervous and timid because she's been open about it...

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

I mean, seriously, the existence of a race of sentient beings that can freely swap between bodies whenever they feel like it has got to be annoying as hell for a struggling transperson in QC-verse.

Good point...

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'll note that the QC verse isn't post-scarcity - there are homeless people in it.

But, QC is set in the US, so free or low-cost non-emergency healthcare of any sort is far from guaranteed (this is a country where people wait until they're about to die to get any treatment for cancer, because they can't afford to pay for any early treatment, and can't afford the time off work to go in for treatment), and the odds of it covering any sort of treatment for gender dysphoria other than counseling are slim.

Granted, QC is also set in Massachusetts, which has had an individual mandate healthcare system for a while, but it may be cheaper to pay the fine (if you're in good health, and sometimes even if you're in poor health, it's cheaper to pay the fine under PPACA, which is the US individual mandate system), and any cheap plan will be highly unlikely to even cover mental health or elective treatment of any sort. The college would likely offer counseling for free, as part of tuition, but that would just be sitting and talking with a therapist, not any medications - a student would be referred to a doctor of some sort for that.

So, I'd guess that Claire's family is financially stable, but QC is set in a society that does experience scarcity. (Further evidence is that Clinton appears to have been an early adopter of a robotic hand, in a universe where robots are very common, but are still luxury items.)

Xader

• Plantmonster

Congratulations. It is now positively confirmed that you and Claire are not the same person.

Guess what? Some people are more comfortable sharing personal things than others.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Yet another long-time trans* reader lured out of the shadows of the Internet over this comic!

Mostly wanted to say thanks for the refreshingly mature discussions, and the links!

Also I must warn you of a terrible fate that may befall us all!
Jeph sez: "OCD IS BAD: Nitpicking and/or placing way too much importance on minutiae while missing the big picture is probably Jeph's biggest pet peeve. Not every little detail is Fraught With Meaning."  :psyduck:

Welcome, new person! Good work studying the rules, and particularly finding that one. It is under appreciated.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

English is not my mother language, and I hope that it won't show too badly.

Welcome, new person!

Plenty of ESL people here: it really doesn't matter.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If the reading I've been doing is representative, do I understand right that Marten's behavior is exemplary?

(And that Claire's answer is brave and not to be taken as representative?)

I just hope he doesn't get drunk and tell Pintsize.

Warning - while you were welcoming a new person two new people have joined the discussion. You may wish to review your post
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 10:18 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I just hope he doesn't get drunk and tell Pintsize.

Considering what AnthroPc's are capable of, I don't think one drunken binge will give Pintsize ample opportunity to figure it out. Then again, looking at his Twitter, if he can find obscure porn......

(Added a bracket - Method)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 11:54 by Method of Madness »

Change

• Not quite a lurker

I think some people are misunderstanding what Claire said, unless I'm wrong.

She gave Marten permission to tell people that she's trans* if they ask about it. Therefore, the person asking would of had to have either suspected something or maybe heard it from someone else who knew Claire in college. She told Marten NOT to talk about it otherwise. I really don't think that Marten lying to someone who explicitly asks will help matters, at all.
This signature has not been changed for 0 days.

TheEvilDog

I have no words for how this thread is going.

Before this thread goes nuclear, I'm off to that concrete, reinforced underground bunker I had built after the Dora/Marten Meltdown of '10. All necessary invites have been sent out and the last of the tinned food has been brought in.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

(Sorry, english is not my first language).
Wow....10 pages for one strip  :-o .

I got to say, i used to like the comic; but now...  i love it! xD

Seriously, i really like Claire since her first appearance (don't really know why) and that won't change a bit  :-) .

Now changing the subject:
 - The lips.
 Marigold doesn't have those either most of the time (I thought it was just when the girls used lipstick, but since Hanners wouldn't use...).
 Example1
 Cute Example2 (except last panel).

- This thread.
 I read slowly all the posts, and all i could thinks was that it remind me this xD (no offense):

Seeya.-

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog

- This thread.
 I read slowly all the posts, and all i could thinks was that it remind me this xD (no offense):
image snip

Pretty much the internet in a nutshell, yeah. At least, this part of the internet. :psyduck: Also, AUGH!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

It's really not that bad. The first f-word hasn't even been thrown yet.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Marten is probably doing the worst possible thing in this situation. Who knows how Claire's taste buds will react in horror when she tastes Marten's coffee of doom.
Well spotted. One can only hope he's not the one who prepared it.

Well, there is a debate in France right now about extension of marriage to everybody, including homosexual couples and I must some arguments are quite nauseating. A bishop actually had the gall to say that first, it was gay marriage, and then incest and zoophilia. You can imagine what is being said about trangender people.
I haven't heard much in France about trans* people specifically. There's been a few legal and administrative issues that made it to the news, but I can't say I remember hearing statements about it from the clergy.

About today's comic (as well as yesterday's - took me some time to read all the thread), I think Claire is courageous to speak out like this, and she found the right kind of person to do so. If I were Marten, I'd feel flattered by this manifestation of trust.

Marten has his faults, he's indecisive and sometimes too much of a pushover, but these are pretty much the worst aspects of some of his main qualities: he's non-judgemental and laid-back. It's not really a surprize that Claire decided to trust him in particular.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Carl-E

• Awakened

Before this thread goes nuclear, I'm off to that concrete, reinforced underground bunker I had built after the Dora/Marten Meltdown of '10. All necessary invites have been sent out and the last of the tinned food has been brought in.

See you in half an hour.  I'll bring the beer and jerkey. 

Alkahest

• Emoticontraindication

I just wanted to say that I think it's nice that QC included a trans character, not get into an argument. There. Bye.

westrim

I have no words for how this thread is going.

I'll bring some cookies!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I, for one, will go down with the forum. Forumites...it's been an honor.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Leucelia

• Not quite a lurker
  • Just another one.
    • Just Another Trans Girl

Not super interested in the other discussions. Just logged in to give feedback on the latest events with Claire.

I like that Jeph seems anxious about portraying a positive trans character. That he is worried at all means he's worried enough to do it well.  I must say, I am impressed! He mentioned that he had done research, and it shows already.

For the comic itself, the reaction Marten gave very much lines up with my own reactions in the area I live. It was always either an affirmation of a prior suspicion, or a simple acknowledgement and moving on. This is how I feel it should be; not bizarre or a mystifying revelation, but another facet of a person that you are privileged to know about. The question following, regarding circumstances for disclosure, is likewise a tremendously important thing to be asked when coming out, particularly in a work environment. I remain cautious for the future, of course, but Jeph has already shown he is being meticulous with this, and I approve!

My biggest fear is an obnoxious question in the future regarding bottom surgery. This is easily the most common question I receive, and the most repellent. Especially in a workplace, inquiring about the possible grueling alterations to ones genitals is appalling, but with trans people it seems to be taken as read that you can just ask away. Let me say now that by NO means is it appropriate, ever, unless the person volunteers that information (sole exception for sexual partners). I almost hope that he does cover this issue, if just to relay that message to the world, though I would assume he'd receive significant punishment for the service (see how much anger Dan Savage receives for this or that nitpick).

In any case, I look forward to the future he carves for Claire and how the other characters interpret and deal with that information. What really blows me away is that these characters all have distinct personalities, and will all have to approach the issue in their own ways. That all of that will have to come from one man for this story makes it especially admirable. I'm particularly interested in the discussion of sexuality that may arise, with Claire having been given to heterosexual tendencies. This may mean that she is bisexual, or was homosexual prior to transitioning. In my experience, sexuality has seemed fairly fluid, so perhaps no label at all is necessary.

Thanks, Jeph, for broaching the subject. The more commonplace the phenomena becomes, the less strange it will seem. Having a good image of trans in media is a huge deal that can directly affect the lives of trans people every day.
Education, not argument is my policy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

There's some very nice drawing of facial expressions and body-language in this comic too.

And it's when Marten's being depicted in this relaxed mood that he looks at his best, I think.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Can we please discuss the comic/strip/characters in here, and all the subject about trans/laws/MyCountry/etc in Here for example?

Just to keep some order...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Don't mind me, I'll be the idiot who's going to be rebuilding a new thread to replace this one.  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Ooh, and good idea, K1dmor.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

As for trans* people and trans* as a concept as discussed in this forum, I hope to learn by shutting up.
As for the comic -- I'd ask everyone to consider something they might not have considered: It's a story about imperfect people who are trying in the main to get along. Jeph has so far depicted one of the best possible interactions: Claire decided to trust Marten and that trust has been rewarded with non-uptight acceptance and respect. But I think (and I'm going to guess, because Jeph is nothing if not meticulous in his choice of presentation) that we might see, down the line, one of the characters screwing this up; they, being mostly realistic characters, don't always hit the right notes.
It will be interesting to see if Jeph heads in this direction and what it will mean for the characters affected by a screwup -- and if he does this, I'd ask folks to hang on and see where the story goes before jumping on it for presenting the situation as less than ideal across the board. Some of the most lasting impressions (and lessons) come from watching people deal with the consequences of a mistake -- a character's mistake, in this case, being a less-than-respectful reaction to learning Claire's story.

tl;dr: This is a story about people, not a primer for navigating social situations.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Leucelia

• Not quite a lurker
  • Just another one.
    • Just Another Trans Girl

I agree, DSL. Seeing an imperfect response and the subsequent handling of the matter and lessons involved would probably be more useful. If not that, then the emotional aftermath inflicted. (Marten after being an asshole to Padma).

Proud of Jeph for sticking his neck out like this. He's going to get a lot of hate mail.

EDIT: Whoops! Only glanced at the name and saw Duck beneath it, DSL.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 17:26 by Leucelia »
Education, not argument is my policy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up