THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Jun 2024, 23:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would be the WORST QC cast member to Wield the Broadsword of DOOM?

Hannelore (she might cut herself and go into apoplectic shock)
- 2 (3.3%)
Marigold (she'd get into it too much)
- 1 (1.7%)
Claire (she knoweth not what she wieldeth)
- 2 (3.3%)
Clinton (he'd try to use it to enhance his AI hand)
- 1 (1.7%)
Emily (for obvious reasons)
- 28 (46.7%)
Tai (for the acid trip reasons)
- 2 (3.3%)
Pintsize (of course)
- 18 (30%)
Momo (she would take out the entire squirrel population of Northampton)
- 1 (1.7%)
Marten (he can't even lift it)
- 2 (3.3%)
Other (your choice)
- 3 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2362-2366 (14-18 January 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 47340 times)

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

The lengthening shadow next to the cash register is a nice touch.

Oh Jeph, you so sneaky! I didn't even notice that!
Worry Hat, Engage!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's in store for this week?

More Hairy Stories!    1 (1.9%)
WWADD? (What would Azumanga Daioh do?)    3 (5.7%) 
Tai and Dora relationship development.    7 (13.2%)
Faye and Angus relationship devolvement.    4 (7.5%)
Something else-ment.    4 (7.5%)
Emily's deep, dark past.    8 (15.1%)
Claire talks about her past.    9 (17%)
Jeph goes completely silly on us.    12 (22.6%)
Not that we mind, of course.    5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

I was half expecting Mr. Dude there to ask if he could shit on her tits. I guess Jeph wasn't feeling that silly/throwbacky.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I think that that joke is actually specific to Cosette.

I wonder if Faye and Dora are going to return to find Hannelore surrounded by people (followers? :P ) watching the shop with her. Just... staring at the ceiling?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"One of us.  One of us.  One of us."
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...Claire.  Broadsword.  Large crowd.

This has the potential to end badly.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hannelore should carry something like an epi-pen but full of anti-anxiety medication.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

That's great!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

The first thing I thought of after reading this comic is that "Coffe of Doom" should be in a scarier font. :psyduck:
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

"It is an elegant weapon, for a more civilised age."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Jam is still often sold in 453g (1lb) jars, for example.

This is still the case in the UK, only in reverse - there wasn't a law requiring things to be sold in Imperial, to my knowledge - there was EU legislation requiring things to be labelled in Metric. So everyone, especially market grocers, went on selling in Imperial quantities but labelling and charging in metric. It's not just independent retailers though; I buy 454g bags of frozen Quorn mince from Sainsbury's (I like the fact that in Australia, a metric lb is 1g lighter!).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

westrim

The first thing I thought of after reading this comic is that "Coffe of Doom" should be in a scarier font. :psyduck:
Like what? COMIC SANS? (I was surprised to find it was actually a font option)

Unconscious mind-control powers... Trivial for someone connected to the Deep Ones.

That will be useful when humanity uses giant robots to fight them in a few months.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Wow, Hanners has only been working at Coffee of Doom for like 600 strips. Already seems like forever. Possibly because I started reading after she started working there.

But yes, this is a stark reminder of just how new Hannelore is to having a normal job in a normal life.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Claire really hasn't learned much about Marten's circle of friends, has she?
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Like what? COMIC SANS? (I was surprised to find it was actually a font option)

Too scary.

No-one had better say anything negative about books while they are in line.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

(I was surprised to find it was actually a font option)

I thought at first the options would be determined by your computer; but actually I think they are programmed in to the forum software - basically the list is that of one of Microsoft's "font packs", or maybe their "web fonts" (of which Comic Sans is one).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

"It is an elegant weapon, for a more civilised age."

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side, kid."
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

I like to imagine that Hanners hasn't blinked since Dora and Faye left.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious

Still cute  :angel:
 It looks like she'll  be in the next strip.
Obligatory Admiral Ackbar

True story, I was getting lunch with a couple of my coworkers and I notice a cute redhead on the street.
Me (to one of my coworkers): "Psst. See that redhead over there?"
Coworker: "It's a guy."
Me: (deflated) "He has pretty hair."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hannelore should carry something like an epi-pen but full of anti-anxiety medication.
This should be a real thing.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

A boy in my choir does that, only for "epipen" read "hip flask" and for "medication" read "gin".
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Sounds like it's time to break out the emergency bourbon again. Though hopefully not at the same time as the sword....

westrim

Sounds like it's time to break out the emergency bourbon again. Though hopefully not at the same time as the sword....
Yeah, she might injure something.

Like her hand.

too soon?

Emmyisnotcool

• Not quite a lurker

I don't know what an epi-pen is, but that sounds like a good idea. Since I rely totally on ativan to not freak out in social situations or worry myself to death, having it on hand is a must. I can so relate to Hannelore in this strip.

westrim

I don't know what an epi-pen is, but that sounds like a good idea. Since I rely totally on ativan to not freak out in social situations or worry myself to death, having it on hand is a must. I can so relate to Hannelore in this strip.
Epi is short for 'epidural.' It's for pregnant people.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

EpiPen is actually the trade name of a self-injection device carried by those with severe allergies to administer treatment immediately in the case of anaphylactic shock.  The word is also used generically for such devices.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Epidurals are not solely for pregnant people - in fact, the only time anyone would have an epidural when pregnant is in the process of becoming unpregnant, i.e. for pain relief during labour (and my non-qualified, not-actual-medical-advice advice would be to avoid them if you can because they cause a cascade of interventions generally resulting in unnecessary surgery, and thereby essentially delaying the pain rather than preventing it). The term refers to the location into which the injection is placed: around the dura mater (I believe this is a section of the skin?), usually of the spinal cord.

As Paul says, EpiPen is a brand name, and the Epi part comes from Epinephrine, another term for the adrenaline contained in the pen.

westrim

EpiPen is actually the trade name of a self-injection device carried by those with severe allergies to administer treatment immediately in the case of anaphylactic shock.  The word is also used generically for such devices.

Epidurals are not solely for pregnant people - in fact, the only time anyone would have an epidural when pregnant is in the process of becoming unpregnant, i.e. for pain relief during labour (and my non-qualified, not-actual-medical-advice advice would be to avoid them if you can because they cause a cascade of interventions generally resulting in unnecessary surgery, and thereby essentially delaying the pain rather than preventing it). The term refers to the location into which the injection is placed: around the dura mater (I believe this is a section of the skin?), usually of the spinal cord.

As Paul says, EpiPen is a brand name, and the Epi part comes from Epinephrine, another term for the adrenaline contained in the pen.
...You DO both know that I was joking, as it is a much nicer response than my instinct to reply "Google it" to people requesting a definition on the internet, right?
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 15:06 by Westrim »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It seemed likely; but why not just answer the (implied) question?  It takes no more effort, and is friendlier.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around a self-injection device to administer an epidural.

EDIT: It's Myriad Pro that is the scary font. Comic Sans is to be hated, not feared.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 15:37 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

EDIT: It's Myriad Pro that is the scary font. Comic Sans is to be hated, not feared.
Unless you work for CERN, in which case Comic Sans is to be used, not hated.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Unless you work for CERN, in which case Comic Sans is to be used, not hated.  :roll:
The thought that the people colliding particles at near-light speeds to try to find the Higgs Boson, are casually using a font that I would willfully disregard even if it meant endangering my life, is a terrifying thought indeed.
Worry Hat, Engage!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Actually I think it is a very real possibility that she might. I would definitely put money on her having something of the like at home at least. 
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Something analogous to an implanted insulin pump that sensed cortisol levels or something like that and oozed sedatives would not be overkill for her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Epic

• Not quite a lurker

These last few comics, Claire is my new favorite character. Love that red hair.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

New comic up!

I like Claire...but she's gotta hang out at the coffee shop more often or things like this will continue to bewilder her.

Also...In before "hurr durr compensating for something durrr"

Don't even try it. Don't.

DON'T.

I'm watching you.

:mrgreen:
Worry Hat, Engage!

henri bemis

• Don't F with my glasses

XENA JOKE.  XEEEEEEENA JOKE!  I'm so happy right now I could punch Ares in his sexy hair.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...I thought the broadsword was bigger than that.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

It looked bigger when Sam was holding it... Or maybe they got a new one, since the other got stucked in the roof  :psyduck: .

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yes, but fear does lead to hatred. And hate leads to ... or is it anger leads to hate. Wait. Yes it's fear leads to anger. Anger leads to suffering. Hate. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. And as Comic Sans leads to fear... or hate... or something... Comic Sans leads to suffering. And punched bunnies. QED (Quite Easily Done).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

I wonder which of the QC cast I would trust least with the broadsword...

Emily I think...
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

WAYF

• Beyoncé

You mean even less than Samantha? :P

Hey, I wonder what Gabby's up to? I just realized that we haven't really seen her since she went skinny dipping with Tai.
Was SHE the one who Emily murdered perhaps? :psyduck:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Emily would use it to chop her bananas to make smashing them easier.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

The thought that the people colliding particles at near-light speeds to try to find the Higgs Boson, are casually using a font that I would willfully disregard even if it meant endangering my life, is a terrifying thought indeed.
If I ever make a discovery in my research worthy of a Nobel Prize (yeah, right...), I promise to use Comic Sans in my presentation.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

But if she's Xena, does that make Hannelore Gabrielle?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Jeph couldn't put in an obvious Red Sonja joke?

Hey, I wonder what Gabby's up to? I just realized that we haven't really seen her since she went skinny dipping with Tai.
Was SHE the one who Emily murdered perhaps? :psyduck:

The token black character always gets offed first.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Especially if they're wearing a red shirt. 

Re:  The sword is clearly tilted back in the second panel, and I think it's still tilted back in the others as well, foreshortening it.  Or we could use the Faye's scar explanation - Jeph forgot.  Or it's magic, and Claire's so small it automagically resized itself for her. 

But doesn't she realize that it's phallic power she's feeling?   :evil: :psyduck: Nevermind...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Am I the only one who had a "is Claire really the best character for a 'powerful sword' joke?" reaction? :psyduck:

henri bemis

• Don't F with my glasses

But if she's Xena, does that make Hannelore Gabrielle?

With Marten being all "put down the sword!" I'd say he is most like Gabrielle.

And now I'm going to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out which QC and Xena characters align. 

westrim

Am I the only one who had a "is Claire really the best character for a 'powerful sword' joke?" reaction? :psyduck:
Well, Marten sure as heck isn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up