THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 10:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 573388 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Yes. Yes it fucking is.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Fastest I've ever been on the freeway was 110mph en route to Coachella. We left my town of Livermore (near Oakland) at 22:00 and arrived in Indio at about 04:30. This happened with a single stop for fuel and a bathroom break once we hit Los Angeles.

Fastest I ever went on a surface street was the first time I ever drove a manual transmission. '88 BMW M5, and I went from 0 to 95pmh in under 7 seconds. Stopped from 95 a lot quicker than that.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lines

• Awakened

I think the fastest I've ever gone is 80-85mph because my poor little 2002 Corolla can't really handle much faster. It just doesn't have the juice and also I really do not like going that fast anyways.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

Going 95 in my '93 Explorer damn near shakes the thing apart.

I saw that band Couches from San Fran again tonight.  Those guys are totally cool to hang out with.  They are coming back in October and  wont miss it.  I guess my new favorite band on their label Ugly Winner broke up. I am hella bummed out.  I am still trying to meet friends in the Phoenix area and it is really damn hard.  I am trying the internet, but I still don't even really know where to start.  I work most of the time now, and am pretty fucking lonely the rest of the time.  I kind of just want to get a minimum job back where all my friends are, but I don't want to give up.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Oh man. Things didn't work out so hot with us and Couches when I personally booked a show for them at their request. spoiler goes to me being a giant whiny loser, but I was stressed out because it was my pet project and it went badly so sue me I'm gonna cry about it
(click to show/hide)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I have hit 110 on a few back roads here in Wisconsin, but slowed it down shortly afterwards because the tires couldn't handle it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

No way, that was the band that got stopped in Oakland?  Haha, small world.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

yeah, unfortunately so. were they any good? I wouldn't know haha :3

Lines

• Awakened

I found a car I want to buy! I test drove this one and I liked it quite a lot. Also they were offering a crazy ass deal (and will continue to do so until the end of the month), so hopefully this one will be around for a little while longer.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The fastest I've ever driven is 70mph, maybe 75 if I was overtaking something. I don't really like driving fast.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit too spontaneously with some of my decisions.

I just bought a HiFi turntable from ebay.

Helped my grandfather repair his today, and remembered the recurring thought of mine that it would be nice to own a turntable.

Googled a bit, looked at turntables on ebay, won a used Dual 505-4.

Now I need a suitable phono preamp.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Ankhtahr's 220kph is double the freeway speed-limit in NSW, and good girls don't speed...  :angel:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Ankhtahr's 220kph is double the freeway speed-limit in NSW, and good girls don't speed...  :angel:

So you're challenging the land speed record regularly then? ;)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Is this a "good girls finish last" thing?

You know you've staid up way too long when it's half 3 AM and Jeph starts drawing the comic.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

He started already? Damn, that means I'll either be up far too late, or get to read the comic late. Tough decision.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I've played Geoguessr enough to know that 220kph is necessary on some of those roads to keep you from going INSANE.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Fastest I ever went was in the first car I owned, which had been my grampa's 74 Ford Maverick. 

Damn, that's the exact color and trim package, too, down to the vinyl roof and rubrail... probably has the woodgrained plastic dash and vinyl bucket seats, too.  All that luxury... anyway, gramps drove caddys all his life, this was his last car, but he didn't believe in less than a V-8, so he ordered it with the 302 CI V-8 instead of the 200 CI standard straight 6.  Mind you, this was in a 1700 lb car...

So anyway, I'm going back to my first year of college after spring break, and I'm on the Ohio turnpike.  A corvette stingray passes me.  I returned the favor.  We go back and forth a few times, and I'm up over 100 mph.  Then it got serious. 

The speedometer only went to 120 mph.  I pegged it, and broke the damn thing that day.  Blew the doors off the corvette one last time, and then spotted my exit.  And, as I slowed and exited. the corvette blasted past. 

Followed by two Ohio State Troopers. 

It was a good day.  The Maverick forever had 64,000 miles on it and I had to guesstimate speeds after that, but it never let me down for another two years.  After which I got my first VW bus, and never hit that kind of speed again. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

Is this a "good girls finish last" thing?

I've always heard it as "nice guys finish last". Which I totally thought was about sex the first time I heard it (as in... you finish last), and as dumbfounded about why people were so negative towards the idea.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Loki

• comeback tour!

Yes. I found it humorous to reverse the gender roles (sexus roles?) for that one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Tonight I went out to meet some friends at the bar, and left after a few games of pool. I was playing really well, then mid-game my last game I had a sudden turning of moods for no apparent reason. Lost that game (I ran it for the previous 6 against some of my favorite opponents, whatever) and went outside to the back patio to finish my beer and say goodnight to some homies.

Got on my bike, booked it home, and almost immediately my sour mood got worse. As in "oh hey what's up, BPD, almost forgot I knew you... so when do you go back where you came from?" So I got on Facebook to see who was online, maybe find somebody I know I can trust to confide in. Found my friend Erika on there. Made plans to bike downtown and have her meet me there on her longboard (neither of us have a car), but then decided I'd rather go to bed.

Right as I said that, I got a text from Matt saying that he'd gotten too drunk to drive home and that he was gonna wait in the car til he sobered up. I told him "Naw fuck that I'll be right there, see ya in 20" and hopped on the bike. In return for driving him home he let me borrow the car to go hang out with Erika, so long as I brought it back home safe.

Just got back home from hanging out with Erika, and I feel loads better. And I helped out my bro and got exercise! The night went way better than expected.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Laptop has suddenly given up. It still loads with some encouragement but don't want to push it. Got everything backed up. Might have money next month to get a new computer.

Can get online on phone but just warning incase I suddenly go missing for a while.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

heeeelp…

somebody keep me from buying all the vinyls…

My record player hasn't even been sent yet, but I already bought 4 vinyls…

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Also, you are now satan.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I for one welcome our evil vinyl overlord.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

why would you be upset about owning vinyl, records are TITS

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

also I am perhaps feeling some regret in not realizing how bad I'm gonna miss a good friend of mine who is moving

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

If by weird you mean fucking awesome. I've pushed 120mph+ in a small car and would love to go faster. I have gone faster then that, but aircraft don't count.

Speed is relative to mode of transport though. I've been in a car going just over 120mph and it was exciting but nowhere near as thrilling as breaking 50mph on a bike. Thor Hushovd has hit 78 on a descent in the TdF. I'd love to be able to equal that. Need a better bike.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

IT IS FINISHED! I have done literally everything that I can do till I start driving friday. Two week turn around? HAH! I laugh in the face of madness! Everything is in place. Stuff's on the truck going East, supplementary stuff is in various packages heading East, Apartment's confirmed, power is set up, Internet is arraigned. Now I just need to get there so I can handle the DMV. I also need to acquire a large postal money order (to finish paying the movers on the other end) and to pay off my apartment complex so I can move in.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

My lame ass expensive Alienware decided to shit the bed - $350 and a half weeks salary later I am back online with a low end Lenovo.  Just wonderful.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface

Oh and Couches is pretty fun live.  Catchy and shit.  They seemed like cool dudes. 

Also, today I realized that Stand There Until You're Sober has gone from a song about good times with your buds, youth, and not growing up to being line for line about how I unforgivably betrayed my best friend.  And it feels really shitty.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Hi!

I have been awake for the last five or so hours because I ended up down a digital rabbithole of video signaling, conversion measures, defunct tech companies, court cases, and hazy corporate entanglements.

*twitch*

I am going to apply frying pan to head so that I may sleep a bit before work.  :psyduck:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Today I've been revising my ass off because of an exam I have tomorrow. Then I checked the courses' official website... just to notice that the exam is not tomorrow but on Friday.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Also, I might have just told you guys all this because I wanted to use my keyboard some more :)

Zingoleb

dear blog thread,

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Also, I might have just told you guys all this because I wanted to use my keyboard some more :)

As a mechanical keyboard fan I can totally relate.

Anyway, I've received another two albums on vinyl today. Also received my headphone amplifier. My turntable amplifier I received already, so I look forward to receiving my turntable. The more I look up about it, the happier I am that I chose that one. 80€ shipped for a great subchassis player, which has been in production for a long time, in the higher quality, older version, which comes with a better cartridge. Also had the belt replaced not too long ago, so that won't be a problem either.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Belt drive?  For 80 euros? 

Crap, what's a direct drive cost nowadays? 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I posted this in the 'own music' thread but nobody ever reads that. So here you go. Basically, I have realized that I've repressed some feelings that I have for one of my best friends, and since she's moving to another state late next month, I decided I'd write a song and tell her.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/kimjongsick/someday-wav[/soundcloud]

She loved it, and I hope you do too.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

That's cheating Pat.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I'm a rebel, I do what I want

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

So I guess my granddaddy is in hospice care now. I know he's lived a long and full life, fighting off the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge in '44 and driving a truck for the rest of his life and never complaining about anything and sometimes saying shit that just boggled the mind ("If it wasn't for places like this, there wouldn't be any more places like this"). And if he's right about God and heaven being real, well, I hope he is for his sake. He's earned it more than most people I know, and I'm not just saying it because he's blood.

I am just a sad guy right now 'cause sad shit is just saddening up my sads

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Mad hugs bro.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Hospice care is a good thing, though. 

Will you be able to go and say goodbye? 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Dude's up somewhere near Seattle under the care of my selfish and batty aunt who doesn't think it's important we know how to get in touch with him.

what the fuck is up with Seattle and making my life miserable lately, I've only ever even been like 3 times

Loki

• comeback tour!

Hugs.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

So I guess my granddaddy is in hospice care now.
Filial concern is commendable. You are good people, Patrick. Of course there are sads, but: "I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

yeah. mostly I'm just angry that Circumstances dictated that he be in Aunt Linda's care, because she is a degenerate sack of shit whose miserable, lacking personality thrives on making evil power plays like this that serve no purpose except to keep apart people who love and miss each other. she tried this shit when Grandma Judy died a few years back, too. there may be 2 deaths in the family if she doesn't keep her goddamn filthy manipulative mouth shut at the funeral about how much suffering she went through over this

anyway, you guys are amazing, and despite this, I've had a pretty good day today. I went on a hike with some folks I don't know well, and they turned out to not only be rad people, but determined hikers. we set ourselves a goal, bitched a little bit on the way up, and made it all the way to the top of Brushy Peak (a local trail) and back without incident. then we went to 7/11 and got slurpees. mine is Mountain Dew flavored. delicious.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Holy goddamn, this driving school thing is now becoming incredibly stressful. Not because of the driving, but because of the time that's necessary for it.

They can only do the practical exam after the theoretical exam. I now got an appointment for the theoretical exam on August 12th. I've got an appointment for the last driving lesson on September 9th. Then I could start the driving lessons and the practical exam for the trailer license. Problem with this: University begins at the beginning of October, so I wanted to move to the new town (wherever that might be) in September.

Fuck.

Shit was expensive enough to begin with, so I can't really cancel the trailer license.

Carl-E

• Awakened

There's still plenty of moving time in September after the 9th. 

Of course, you could always drive back for those last few lessons....  :psyduck: :-D :angel:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Well...

After September 9th I'll need to take the practical exam. And theoretically I'd need another four driving lessons and another exam for the trailer license. That takes some time, as the exams are centrally organised and you never know when you get an appointment for it.

And going back to this place would take about 8 hours by train and would cost me at least 160€ only for the journey.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Can you do the test where you're moving to? Or would you have to restart the process at a new school?

Also not to be insensitive but I just passed my driving test! Got only three minor faults. So chuffed!

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Then I could start the driving lessons and the practical exam for the trailer license.
Do you need a special licence to tow a trailer in Germany?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 98   Go Up