THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 00:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 571339 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Just gonna put it out there that I DON'T GIVE A SHITTING GOD DAMN ABOUT THE NEW DOCTOR, AND MY ENTIRE FACEBOOK FEED NEEDS TO COLLECTIVELY KILL THEMSELVES

My suggested list would've been really funny if you'd heard of more of them bro
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

...so how about the new Doctor?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I lost track around 5. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

C'mon now, we had to put up with YEARS of the same thing when you guys were picking your president!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I keep hearing about this, but I'm so far from TV I have no idea what it's about. Nude octer? Nude actor? WTF?

Carl-E

• Awakened

Who? 

(Exactly.)

Third base! 

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

No, Who's on first.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I dunno...

But he used to be on right after the news on the CBC. 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

some guy basically called me a supporter of racism and bigotry and blah blah because I posted a status about not giving a shit about Dr Who, and how I much prefer Top Gear. dude went on to try to guilt trip the fuck out of me and try to force me into converting.

bonus points: he's a way old-school QC forumite, and that self-righteous reaction is typical of the old forums, and about 90% of why I'm glad those days are over.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

Hello.
I actually do blog ..sorta.
I've got it buried in a fan site for my favorite hobby.
I've had it up and running for 2 years and 250 posts.
Hope you like:  http://www.battletechuniverse.org/hpguplink/viewtopic.php?p=168755#p168755

if nobody else is gonna touch this, I'm gonna. this is not what the blog thread is for. I suggest participating in the "MAKE" subforum.

I apologize for prematurely posting a note about my Blog in the "Blog Thread 4" ...  :-P I did put it in the 'Make' forums
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

The Blog Thread is for bloggy posts, not "here's my blog" posts. You're likely to find some people who like the stuff you like over in Make. So, what's up?

Today my bank called and said, "Oh hey we put the wrong interest rate on your loan documents, so will you please sign this paper that will let us charge you more?" I'm considering exactly how politic I need to be when telling them to fuck off to avoid them trying to repo the car that I just got registered on Friday.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I don't care about Dr. Who, but Jeremy Clarkson is a worthless lout, at least in his public persona, so I don't care about Top Gear either.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

CNC PCB milling machines are great…

if they work.

At our local hackerspace we have one. Today was the first time we tried milling a double sided PCB with it.

It was disastrous.

After having to create a new workflow from scratch because the guy who gave us the machine fiddled around with the CAM job which converts the data from the layout program to a interchangeable format, so we had to use multiple CAM jobs and pick all the resulting files which were usable.

Which weren't so usable after all. Apart from having a disparity between top and bottom layer of about 1mm we later found out that the PCB layout which we got after the necessary three conversions was complete garbage. We only found out about this after fiddling around with the files for 4 hours and then milling for 40 minutes.

It doesn't help that the computer we connect to the milling machine has to have a RS-232 port, so it's some really old laptop (it still has a 3.5" floppy drive) running XP. The XP is running really slow, which doesn't make working on it any more fun than it would be anyways. It also doesn't help that the software which was given to us for the milling machine was developed for frickin Win 3.1.  This is one of the most annoying workflows I've ever encountered.

We've now had so much trouble with this machine that some of us are thinking about going back to etching the PCBs with acid again.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I'm not too into Dr. Who, and I love Top Gear. And I saw that thread, Pat. That was just... dumb. Someone looking to start a fight over nothing.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

I'm not into Dr. Who, but it intrigues me. I'd like to give it a go, just never seem to make the time for it. *shrug*
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

some guy basically called me a supporter of racism and bigotry and blah blah because I posted a status about not giving a shit about Dr Who, and how I much prefer Top Gear. dude went on to try to guilt trip the fuck out of me and try to force me into converting.

bonus points: he's a way old-school QC forumite, and that self-righteous reaction is typical of the old forums, and about 90% of why I'm glad those days are over.

...Khar?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was thinking Tommy or Darrly, but Khar would make sense too.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I think Tommy made me angrier than anyone else because he seemed like a cool guy beneath a six foot thick layer of douchebag.

Lines

• Awakened

I wrote out a reply, but it sounds so mom-like, I deleted it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I was thinking Tommy or Darrly, but Khar would make sense too.
I remember them...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Hmm; all three of them UK residents as I recall.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I never quite liked Dr. Who. Though I do like Torchwood (If only for the dreamy Jack Harkness). I liked the first two seasons of Skins, but I couldn't really get into it after that.

My friend showed me an episode of Top Gear once, I have absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, but they were talking about James Bond's car, so I somewhat intrigued.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Top Gear is awesome if sometimes cringeworthy, and you don't need to care about cars at all.  I think they've jumped the shard, though, as the egos have all gotten big.

Doctor Who is excellent, and by excellent, I mean sometimes brilliant, sometimes utter camp.  Still the best thing on TV, probably.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Too many people tried to force me to watch Doctor Who. Totally put off it now. Same with a lot of other shows. Top Gear used to be amusing but I could only watch it if my brothers were also watching and making jokes.

I watch no current TV shows, with any real commitment, that I can think of off the top of my head. The only show I'm watching with any regularity is Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, going through the old seasons. Qi and You've Been Framed are my go-to background noise shows.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

I watch RuPaul's Drag Race, I girl 5 gays, and Once upon A time regularly when their on. i watch other shows too, but I am really too busy to keep up with them.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

One must wonder how exactly one would go about girling one gay, much less five of them. :mrgreen:
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

It's pretty easy. It can depend on the type, but we often girl ourselves. (But if used that in that context, the show would be a lot similar to RuPaul's Drag Race)

lepetitfromage

Eeeeeee, I love Drag Race. <3

I am a TV junkie.....it helps to quiet my brain, so it's therapeutic. Plus, there are tvs in front of the cardio machines at the gym, so it helps to pass the time. At any given time, I have 5 things programmed on the DVR (depending on season, of course). Currently, it's been Storage Wars & So You Think You Can Dance. Face Off is starting next week though, yippee!

Among the other "regulars" are SVU, NCIS, New Girl, Mythbusters, How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang (yeah, yeah...i know). Jeopardy is a regular too. I DVR it and keep score.... :-P

Just started watching some stuff on HGTV- Property Virgins, Love It or List It, etc- since we're currently house hunting and it inspires me.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal

I don't care about Dr. Who, but Jeremy Clarkson is a worthless lout, at least in his public persona, so I don't care about Top Gear either.

Kind of missing the whole point I think.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I pretty much adore Doctor Who right now, having finally finished watching the whole thing. Torchwood gave me nightmares so I stopped.

When we were house hunting, HGTV mad me so angry. "Oh darling, which of these adorable but unique under-budget homes in our favorite neighborhood shall we choose?" "I don't know, dear, but that second one had some blue paint in the living room, and you know how I feel about blue." "Oh but I do! We can't possibly buy that one."

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Anyway, I keep listening to "Computerworld" and for some reason keep picturing Loki as the singer. It must be because the singer of the band comes from Dortmund and I picture Loki coming from Dortmund.

wtf dude I am from Düsseldorf
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lines

• Awakened

Kind of missing the whole point I think.

Not really. After reading the status and comments in question, the point mostly being made by the dude that was arguing with Pat was basically the same point that Akima made. (Except other dude was a Dr. Who fan.) Some people cannot get over the personal lives of actors (or any famous people, really), which I find reasonable.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

lepetitfromage

I pretty much adore Doctor Who right now, having finally finished watching the whole thing. Torchwood gave me nightmares so I stopped.

When we were house hunting, HGTV mad me so angry. "Oh darling, which of these adorable but unique under-budget homes in our favorite neighborhood shall we choose?" "I don't know, dear, but that second one had some blue paint in the living room, and you know how I feel about blue." "Oh but I do! We can't possibly buy that one."

Ha! Yeah.....sometimes I just want to reach through the tv and slap someone, but I haven't seen anything that bad yet. However....I've only caught a few shows :-P I like watching people tear shit down more than running around with hundreds of thousands of dollars and throwing it at something that is "move-in ready". That whole phrase irritates me. I want to move into MY house, not someone else's.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

I saw an episode where a couple were buying a house, and one option was a split level. She said she liked the house, but wouldn't get it because she didn't like having to make a decision to either go upstairs or down right when she got in the house. She didn't want to have to make a decision the moment she got home.

I am not making this shit up. It was so stupid.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

That is just something else.

I think I reached that point after looking at our 40th essentially identical townhouse, still searching for something that wasn't out of our price range, in desperate need of new carpet and paint throughout, missing all its appliances, missing a kitchen or bathroom, divided into extra bedrooms in the basement, being used by squatters, being used as a drug drop house, in a truly terrible neighborhood, and/or under contract before we even got there.

lepetitfromage

..............Whut.  :psyduck:

I'd like to think that what we want is not should not be hard to find. Something with a monthly payment of around (or less than) $1k, that has 3 or more bedrooms and a dining room* (or EIK) and is in a neighborhood that doesn't make me cringe. We're even up for some handy work! In fact, we want it- as long as we can actually live there while we work. Shitty tiling job in the bathroom? Gimme! Horrendous paint colors throughout? Yessssss. Roof collapsing? Nooooooooooothankyou.

*Had anyone told me that finding a dining room was a difficult task, I never would have believed them but holy hell is it hard to find!!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I don't have a dining room in my apartment. I theoretically have space for one, but fuck me running it must be set up for a table for little people in the "test" of it if they're gonna mix the dining room and entry way like that...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened

I'm sitting in our dining room now, comfortably filled with my grandparent's dining room furniture - mock tudor from the 1920's, large table, 5 big chairs, two sideboards, and a breakfront ("hutch"). 

The got it at a discount because one of the chairs was missing...

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My dining room is precisely the size of my folding leaf table with one leaf folded up. When I fold it down, that section becomes the hallway between the kitchen and the bathroom.

I measured the walls the other day. My flat is 170 square feet, inclusive of bathroom.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

We have a dining area in the kitchen that I would love to put up a wall to separate and knock the other wall to make a decent living room. Although since that's the bottom floor's main wall it may knock the house down. That might annoy the terraced neighbours.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

It was really sunny today and I went biking with my parents and my sister around the Gooi en Vechtstreek. We covered a circular route of 55 km with a really nice variety of Dutch towns and nature reserves.

I also got a little bit sunburnt. I love how my skin starts to smell when I've been in the sun for a while, is that just me? I wonder if that's the result of a metabolic response to the sunlight or if it's simply the radiation causing the breakdown of skin cells that causes the smell.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Today while I was walking in town, passed a family, a Mum, Granny, Grandpa and a maybe two year old in a buggy. The two year old was crying but in a whingy/sobby way, not an Anything Is Actually Wrong way. The Mum's hands were full of bags and she was trying to put them down so she could comfort the child. Then just as I pass them the Granny says, directly to the child, "Ach, fuck up, will ya!?"

Classic Norn' Eire parenting there.

lepetitfromage

......oy.

And LTK- I do too!! I have no clue what causes it but I just love it so much. Even if I don't get any color at all, just that freshly "sunned" smell is delicious.

Carl- your dining room sounds lovely!

We found a house that we really like but we're afraid to take the plunge. It's really cute but we're hesitant because... well....we're good at finding things wrong and worry that a two bedroom won't work for us- especially when the bedrooms are small.

1,600 sq ft (our current place is about 650)
built in 1956
2 living rooms (1 that is HUGE and has a fireplace)
a yard that is big enough (but not too big)
a cute little front patio
3 (!) storage sheds in the back yard- we'd probably keep 2- 1 for wood, 1 for other "shed stuff"
a finished garage
a crawlspace attic
a laundry room
a "3rd bedroom" that is really just a wide hallway with a closet in it.

It's also slightly out of our budget but our realtor said that we can and should offer lower because we'll need to put some work into it. It's listed at $145,000 but he said we should offer $110K. He said we could reasonably get it for $118-$120K. It likely needs about $20K worth of work- most of it in the kitchen. We'd need to re-do the ceiling, take down the tiles on the walls, possibly re-do the floors (linoleum, we'd probably do bamboo or Pergo). Possibly re-do cabinets, probably add some more. Also would need to replace the front bay window. The nice thing is that our monthly payments would be really affordable, so we could tack a few extra K onto our mortgage to help us pay for some of the repairs/upgrades and still afford a little bit out of pocket if we needed to. Plus, unlike all of the other places in our range, this is NOT a short sale, so we could move in by the time our lease is up in October. We'd obviously need to do work, but it's definitely livable- it's incredibly well maintained and you can tell that they have such pride of ownership.

One of my requirements for our house is a dining room. No dining room here. We could take the wide hallway section and just make that a dining room, but we're torn between doing that or taking out the wall between that and the first bedroom, to make the bedroom bigger. Other option is to put up a wall halfway through the second living room and make half of that room a dining room. I think the biggest issue we have is that we don't want to jump into this too quickly just because it's the nicest thing we've seen so far- which isn't really saying a lot- we've looked at less than 10 homes and some of them were terrible.

We don't want to keep looking and then realize that this is the one, only to have it snatched up by someone else. But we also don't want to jump into it and bite off more than we can chew.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

How's the neighborhood? Schools? Consider knocking on doors of would-be next-door neighbors to ask about that. You'll have it inspected? If you feel your compromising with your original goals, it doesn't have to be your rest-of-your-life home.

lepetitfromage

The neighborhood and school districts are great :-) Just around the corner from one of the community colleges. Close enough to things that it's easy to get what you need when you need it but not so close that it's obnoxious. My best friend's father does home inspections for a living and once he heard we were looking, he offered us a great deal on a full inspection- $350 as opposed to his regular $800.

We keep trying to remember that we don't have to live there forever, but we want it to bring us more joy than stress, y'know?

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

a 1956 fixer'upper?

;|

that is a massive gamble.
PRO: better construction than anything built since 1980.  The house has completed its settling days.
CON: that's old, and nowhere near code.  You may actually find CLOTH-coverd wiring during reno.

IMHO: I'd suggest looking for something cheaper and newer.  Renovations are a PITA.
But I wish you the best of luck.  :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Papersatan

I don't think I've never lived in a home that didn't have cloth covered wiring in it, or wood lath and plaster walls for that matter.  My parent's home and this apartment are even piped for gas lights.  I admit, my opinions are shaped by growing up in an old home, but I hate most new construction.  Old homes can be more work, but in exchange they have character.  I mean when a plaster wall is damaged and you have to replace it, or you try and replace a light fixture only to find the wiring makes no sense, it's a pain, but I like the feeling of a home with history. The house I grew up in, or the homes I played in as a child had coal rooms, and milk doors, and dumbwaiters, established plantings (wisteria/roses etc), razors in the bathroom walls, and growth charts in closets.  Also, I find things like the interior woodwork and doors tend to be nicer, both in quality of materials and workmanship.  I hate ugly baseboards.  When we chose this apartment, a big selling point for me was the solid wood interior doors with brass doorknobs, I don't care that in exchange I can't hang art in the hall because the plaster can't handle it.  The rooms feel like a home to me.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

lepetitfromage

I trust our home inspector though, and I know he won't steer us wrong. Both my dad and Nick's dad are also "handy", so I was thinking about asking them both to accompany us to look at it once more. I know literally NOTHING about home ownership other than the fact that it is a lot of work, so I think having them to help us out would definitely take a lot of the guesswork out of it.

Kat, I'm with you on that to a certain point- I don't mind if a home is old or new, but I want something with character! I love interiors with interesting little nooks, big, funky beams.....I saw a gorgeous house in our price range with a spiral staircase!!! *sigh* Too bad the taxes were $11,000!  :-o

I am a little worried about structural defects when it comes to older homes, but as far as stuff like wiring and whatnot- we know people who would be more than willing to help us out with interior stuff, electrical, plumbing, etc. Nick helped his dad reno his childhood home from top to bottom over the last few years, his dad is an electricial and my dad essentially rebuilt our home twice (out of necessity. fucking floods.).

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

There's a couple weeks toward the middle of the month that I get really paranoid about forgetting to pay a bill because I get paid and I don't have a lot of bills that need to come out but then I'm sitting there like "well I've got to be forgetting something there's no way I can have payed my credit card, transferred money to my savings and still have $250 left in my account."
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98   Go Up