THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 12:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 573408 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Jimmy, I really wish I could say something that would help. I have only a small inkling of how shitty that must be and I'm sorry you're in that situation.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

That's funny Paul, I didn't know that! Maybe it's because I was looking for the Norwegian spelling.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I was confused because I associate that word or term in a English speaking context with the movement of birds, and in a more Scandinavian context with flyting, which as opposed to a form of movement is a ritual exchange of insults.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I didn't say that the English dictionary confirms that the origin of the word is from Old Norse.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened

Aww, Jimmy, I'm sorry you're not having a good time.  :-( When do you see your tattoo artist? Maybe they can suggest something for you to do or even take you somewhere? I don't know how friendly you are with your artist, but maybe they can help make your trip more bearable?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Just had my first real encounter with tram rails on the way to the store. Now I know how big the angle has to be when crossing them on a bicycle. My palms hurt.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Aww, Jimmy, I'm sorry you're not having a good time.  :-( When do you see your tattoo artist? Maybe they can suggest something for you to do or even take you somewhere? I don't know how friendly you are with your artist, but maybe they can help make your trip more bearable?
I'm sorry too. :(  I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound like a fortune-cookie, but Linds' advice sounds good to me.

Just had my first real encounter with tram rails on the way to the store. Now I know how big the angle has to be when crossing them on a bicycle. My palms hurt.
As close to 90 degrees as you can is good. Tram-tracks suck. So do level-crossings. Oh, and they are very slippery when wet too.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Hmmm you could perhaps stock up on mozartkugeln and use them to distract curious friends and acquaintances upon your return :( or, er, eat them all yourself
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

My relationship with my artist is just professional, really so I doubt that we'll be hanging out outside of my sessions. I went walking around Vienna today (why does the whole city shut down over the weekend? Nothing was open, not even supermarkets!) and I finally got the data connection on my Austrian sim card to work so I can pull up maps and not get lost. I wandered around for about 2 or 3 hours and god I just don't care about anything in this city. It's all war museums and historical buildings and old architecture and oh my god I don't care about any of it. I know a whole bunch of people who would love it here but why couldn't she have moved to Boston or New York or London? Give me steel and glass and smoke.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Without knowing anything about Vienna: that's prolly because you are hanging out in the Old City.

You could try hanging out on campus, or maybe in one of the surrounding cities. (Although I can hardly imagine Vienna not having a skyline or somesuch). Ask the tourist information for pointers?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Thomas Wolfe was right. "You can't go home again."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

He was definitely American, my friends and I heard him speak and there's no mistaking American accents in Europe.

As a Canadian, I'm curious how you can tell us apart.  (To be fair, some American accents are decidedly not Canadian.  And vice versa.)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

If I remember correctly in this case, he had a midwest US accent, so it was pretty easy. I can't always hear the difference between northern US accents and Canadian accents though, but some regional US accents are very distinctive.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Despite being born to Irish parents and living in the same Norn' Irish town my whole life, most people assume I'm American because of my accent. I don't know how I ended up with it.

I spent two days on a real film shoot. It was fun and stressful and exciting and exhausting.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Would a fake film shoot be the film shoot of a film shoot? Meta.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

"Proper" may have been a better word. There were about thirty people so small but it had a budget supplied by a film company and experienced crew and it was really great.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I know! I was just goofing around ^_^

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I know but I'm still all giddy about working on it so let me brag that I'm getting a real film credit. :mrgreen:

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Omg~

There is a sub shop here that serves a sammich with turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Holy fuck.

My mouth orgasmed. It's the only way to describe it. This is fucking brilliant. It just needs gravy.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I just discovered a vegan cafe near my supermarket and a vegan restaurant in the city which just opened. Excellent! I have filed them away for future reference. Nom nom nom.

Also I attempted to make curry and it was a disaster because my parents have a stupid Stanley (it's like an Aga) and it was far too hot and everything burnt immediately. But I couldn't possibly use the stove because the Stanley was on! It would be a waste of power!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened

Garand, I'd had one of those before at a deli and it was fantastic. Then I started making my Thanksgiving leftovers in that manner and it has been glorious.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Linds, I would totally do that this year, but... uh well I won't be having thanksgiving dinner beyond a pizza and sadness >.>; so that means no leftovers unless my coworkers decide to take pity on the single guy.

In other news.

Without caffeine, there is no life. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Yesterday two trees, both as high as my 15-storey apartment building, were blown down in a storm. Luckily, they both fell away from the building. Now I have an amazing view.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

As we approach 10 November, I tend to become melancholy in many respects and take time to reflect on my service, my Corps, and comrades present... and those who have passed on. This month is a hard one for me over all, with Veteran's Day not far removed from the celebration of the birth of my Corps in 1775, at a little bar in Pennsylvania. Where, per the order of the American Congress, Captain Samuel Nichols began to recruit for two battalions of Marines to join the rebellion against England. Since that day many years passed our Corps has come to celebrate our birthday and around that time Headquarters Marine Corps, Quantico Virginia, publishes the annual Commandant's birthday message. This tradition began with General John A. Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Corps.  General Lejeune's original birthday letter was ordered published, and is still published annually, along with the serving Commandant's own message. That message now commonly takes form of a video.

This year's video, as ordered published by Commandant General James Amos, is about 15 minutes long. It contains many interviews, and pieces of our common culture and history as Marines. This year marks the 70th Anniversary of Battle of Tarawa, the 45th of the Battle of Huế City, and the 10th anniversary of the drive to Baghdad. I had a grandfather we believe to have been at Tarawa and Saipan. I had uncles and family friends in the jungles and cities of Vietnam, some of my closest friends walked the road to Baghdad in 2003. But even if I hadn't had a single blood relative in those places at that time, my brothers and sisters were at all those battles, and a thousand more besides. This is my family history, blood of my blood and kin of my kin. This is not American culture. This is Marine Corps culture, and as people who's company I enjoy.... I want to share that culture, that sense of family, of kinship, with you, that you might understand me and my family just a little bit more.

"The Marines fought almost solely on esprit de corps, I was certain. It was inconceivable to most Marines that they should let another Marine down, or that they could be responsible for dimming the bright reputation of their Corps. The Marines simply assumed that they were the world's best fighting men."
- Robert Sherrod, 1943, regarding the battle at Tarawa

The original message can be found here
(click to show/hide)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Would a fake film shoot be the film shoot of a film shoot? Meta.

Go deeper: ever see Argo?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

GarandMarine

• Awakened

....oooh good point.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Aww. I'm babysitting for two little boys from my church, who were in bed before I arrived although we've met before. I just heard the patter of small feet running across the upstairs, so I went up to see what was wrong and the smaller boy (who I think is 4) was sitting on his parents' bed saying "mummy?". I said hello and asked if he remembered me, which he did. We chatted for a few moments about where his parents were - visiting friends - which friends - a woman from church - whether he'd met her before - yes, he had. Then I asked if he needed anything, he shook his head and said "I'm going to go back to bed" and did precisely that. No tears, no upset that I wasn't mummy, just a cute sleepy child. And now back to my NaNoWriMo novel which is miles behind where it should be. I don't even want to think about how many thousands of words I need to write...
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I'm so behind on NaNoWriMo too. :psyduck:

Won't be posting much this week. Gonna be in Manchester for the next couple days then catching up on college stuff over the weekend.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I made it up to 10,033 words plus maybe 500 more written out long-hand after my laptop battery died. Fortunately it didn't lose anything so I'll just type up tomorrow and keep ploughing on. I'm back to enjoying this story, I had a blip during some dull dialogue and got distracted by my own life but I think I can see this one through.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

On this day, 10 November, 1775 It has been resolved in the second Continental congress, That two Battalions of marines be raised... that they be enlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress: that they be distinguished by the names of the first and second battalions of American Marines....

Funny, I don't feel a day over 210

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I was all worried about my NaNoWriMo yesterday but then I ended up doing 3,255 words and getting caught up! Today I am slacking again so I need to do some timed writing - I don't necessarily write faster but I feel bad about getting distracted when the timer is running.
May, I just added you as a buddy but I couldn't find Welu. I'm bainidhe there if you want to look me up.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

The Last Toast of the Doolittle Raiders

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/final-toast-to-world-war-ii-doolittle-raiders-peace-1.252072

DAYTON, Ohio  -- Known as the Doolittle Raiders, the 80 men who risked their lives on a World War II bombing mission on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor were toasted one last time by their surviving comrades and honored with a Veterans Day weekend of fanfare shared by thousands.

Three of the four surviving Raiders attended the toast Saturday at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. Their late commander, Lt. Gen. James "Jimmy" Doolittle, started the tradition but they decided this autumn's ceremony would be their last.

"May they rest in peace," Lt. Col. Richard Cole, 98, said before he and fellow Raiders - Lt. Col. Edward Saylor, 93, and Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, 92 - sipped cognac from specially engraved silver goblets. The 1896 cognac was saved for the occasion after being passed down from Doolittle.

Hundreds invited to the ceremony, including family members of deceased Raiders, watched as the three each called out "here" as a historian read the names of all 80 of the original airmen.

The fourth surviving Raider, Lt. Col. Robert Hite, 93, couldn't travel to Ohio because of health problems.

But son Wallace Hite said his father, wearing a Raiders blazer and other traditional garb for their reunions, made his own salute to the fallen with a silver goblet of wine at home in Nashville, Tenn., earlier in the week.

Hite is the last survivor of eight Raiders who were captured by Japanese soldiers. Three were executed; another died in captivity.

The 80 silver goblets in the ceremony were presented to the Raiders in 1959 by the city of Tucson, Ariz. The Raiders' names are engraved twice, the second upside-down. During the ceremony, white-gloved cadets presented each of the three with their personal goblets and their longtime manager poured the cognac. The deceased's glasses are turned upside-down.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I've just been for dinner at la Manoire, one of the top 10 restaurants in Europe (it happens to be only a few miles away from where I live) - courtesy of a £1200 voucher which a grateful client gave my son after a job he did for them, which just covered dinner for four (a nine-course tasting menu, with six wines to match, ending at midnight).  We took it as celebrating his birthday a couple of days ago (and mine around the time he got the voucher).

It was, of course, possibly the finest meal I've ever had; and specifically, everything was novel and interesting.

Last time I went there (17 years ago, for my 50th birthday) I got food poisoning!
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 17:25 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I have had some damn fine tuck the world over, but I simply cannot imagine a £1200 meal.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Wow! Glad you enjoyed it sans food poisoning this time, Paul!

The most expensive meal I've ever had was at Butter in NYC because boyfriend at the time was the head chef's personal trainer. They threw in like, 3 or 4 extra courses on the house and it STILL came out to over $100.

....and I thought that was pricey. :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

May, I just added you as a buddy but I couldn't find Welu. I'm bainidhe there if you want to look me up.

I haven't signed up to the site because I'm that low in confidence. I know it's self-prophesying but between college and this trip I've only managed 2000 words so far. I'll push myself on to the 50,000 even if I don't make it to the deadline.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Let's be fair now, it's just a £300 meal each :roll:

I have often wondered where the threshold is between "overpriced" and "actually worth the money". I went out for dinner a few times with a guy I was seeing and we usually spent about £60-70 between the two of us, and I could not taste any discernible difference in quality from the £12 meals I'd normally have in restaurants, and only a slight improvement on my home cooking.

Aimless

Let's be fair now, it's just a £300 meal each :roll:

I have often wondered where the threshold is between "overpriced" and "actually worth the money". I went out for dinner a few times with a guy I was seeing and we usually spent about £60-70 between the two of us, and I could not taste any discernible difference in quality from the £12 meals I'd normally have in restaurants, and only a slight improvement on my home cooking.

Holy crap is that without wine etc? :o

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

I've definitely gone over $100 per person without alcohol.  And yes, tasting menu dinners are pretty amazing.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My £60-70 meals (for two) were with wine, although not a huge amount. The £300 meal was Paul's and he says it includes six different wines.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Holy crap is that without wine etc? :o

Oh no.  Meal (nine courses) £155 a head; matching wines (six) £119 a head (that was the cheap option - the expensive one was £300 a head).  With extras (champagne on arrival, coffee after) the £1200 voucher was pretty much accounted for.

Nine courses sounds a lot, but they were appropriately modest in size so that we were not over-stuffed at the end; but a glass of each wine was rather more alcohol than is generally prudent (I didn't force myself to finish them all).  The presentation of the small food dishes was exquisitely detailed, with an almost jewel-like appearance in some cases.

Aimless

My £60-70 meals (for two) were with wine, although not a huge amount. The £300 meal was Paul's and he says it includes six different wines.

Yeah I was wondering about yours... restaurant price inflation eg. in the UK, paris etc. has been ridiculous over the past few years, and it doesn't take much in terms of food quality to get up to eg £30/p. Half of it seems to be location, hype and mediocre booze :o

I used to be very skeptical of many pricey restaurants and still am. I think my test of whether or not a meal is overpriced entails deciding whether or not I'd pay for that meal at that place at any price over other available options. I land on the side of "yes" mostly when it's a special occasion, a lovely place, a menu full of delicious and/or unusual ingredients and dishes cooked to perfection, served with really nice wine. If I could buy more fancy ingredients and cook them properly I think I'd find most of those places overpriced too :o unfortunately I live in a small town with a limited and usually kinda overpriced supply of fanciness apart from that which one can shoot/pick/grow oneself.

Aimless

Oh no.  Meal (nine courses) £155 a head; matching wines (six) £119 a head (that was the cheap option - the expensive one was £300 a head).  With extras (champagne on arrival, coffee after) the £1200 voucher was pretty much accounted for.

Nine courses sounds a lot, but they were appropriately modest in size so that we were not over-stuffed at the end; but a glass of each wine was rather more alcohol than is generally prudent (I didn't force myself to finish them all).  The presentation of the small food dishes was exquisitely detailed, with an almost jewel-like appearance in some cases.

Drool :'(

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I went to Antwerp with all my friends. Short summary: I went to a museum, an art gallery, a chocolate factory and a bird market, ate at an organic bakery, an Italian restaurant and a fries bar (the fries were terrible), got bubble tea, ate a waffle, and drank beer. That was fun! We stayed in the cheapest hostel in the whole city, which I was less pleased about, especially since I had a really nice hotel room smack-dab in the city center last time. But at least I wasn't sleeping in a room with strangers. Also, only having one functioning ear makes it so much easier to sleep.

I brought back a bag of assorted chocolate bars and a €1 comic book I picked up at the market. Apparently it used to belong to a girl named Vanessa, who wrote her name on the cover. It's a sci-fi story from 1976 about aliens, robots and a tidally-locked planet, starring a woman called Yoko Tsuno. Maybe Belgian comics aren't that much of a boys' club after all? It's actually pretty good, even though it retreads a fair number of sci-fi concepts that have become too familiar 27 years later.

Now I've received three or four additional housing offers in Lund, Sweden in response to my ad. This is actually much more stressful than responding to 'housing available' adverts, now I gotta answer all of these people. I was expecting to have to take the first thing that came my way, since I have none of the institutional benefits for students, either national or international, but apparently there are plenty of people willing to offer me their place. Now I'm spoilt for choice so much that I don't know what I want!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

My most expensive meal was a little place in Atlanta called Ray's In the City. The ex and I got sticker shock when we sat down, but DAMN it was good. I was really embaressed that I lost my bearing a bit looking at the menu price though. I felt like a terrible tight wad/cheap skate. Not my fault I wasn't used to seeing $50 a plate meals on the cheap menu.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker

9 seems a touch small for a tasting menu, in my experience.  ymmv, obviously.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It wasn't actually advertised as a tasting menu - that's what we called it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What on earth is a frozen autumn still life? It's even worse in French! The pear Almondine sounds amazing.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Small pieces of several fruits cut in different ways, and glazed, with a little sauce and a wafer with a hint of coffee flavour.  It was chilled rather than actually frozen.  It was perhaps the least exciting dish.  The Pear Almondine and the Brill (which I had without oyster as I'm probably allergic) were the very best.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Looks like I could only have had the third and seventh courses, but frankly I'm amazed it's that many! I'd love to do a tasting menu at a really good vegan restaurant but I'm not sure such a thing even exists on this continent at least (maybe in Portland?).
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98   Go Up