THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 15:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 573440 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

this cute girl who completely terrifies me decided last night that we should make out. I'm still not totally sold on the idea, because as mentioned, she fucking terrifies me. but whatever. the thing that really got me trippin balls was that she kept talking like we were gonna start dating or some shit and I was like "whoa hang on a dang minute those are different things" and yeahhhh it was weird. whatever though.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lines

• Awakened

Terrifies you because ... she might be a stalker?

Woohoo! We got the house! :-) :-) :-)

Yaaaaay! Congratulations!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Today's Agenda: Sit down and do my taxes. Or more accurately, pay someone to do my taxes for me.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Wuss. Get yourself a copy of H&R Block's Tax software like I have for the last dozen years or so.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I would, but I have to file in three separate states and I'm itemizing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

smart/good idea, esp. with a complicated return.
if GM screws up his taxes... he's screwed.
if HRB screws up the taxes, they will make up for it.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Grognard

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Writing this from my new Kobo Arc. It has Netflix and YouTube and Facebook and Chrome. I need nothing else!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

So, end of december the online school I adjunct for advertised a full time position.  I actually had a heads up about it when the guy who designed the course I've been teaching up and left - I asked the department head if he was going to be replaced, and was told to watch for the internal ad. 

I applied, and the internal ad was withdrawn without posting an external ad.  That was three weeks ago, and while no news is good news in an academic job search (you haven't been eliminated yet), I was getting antsy. 

Yesterday, I got two emails, one asking for more info, the other for an interview. 

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D 

On the other hand, the van's still running like shit, but it has heat and it isn't overheating anymore.  I think they fucked up the timing belt, though.  Probably just put it back together the way it was rather than checking it.  I have to check - time to dig out the compression tester and timing light! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Ohmigod, Carl, for this I'll offer an unaccustomed prayer!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Thanks everyone :-) It feels awesome!

Carl- WOOOOOOOOOOO! Best of luck!

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Terrifies you because ... she might be a stalker?

yeah pretty much. but there again, she was noticeably drunk. gotta hang with her sober to find out for sure.

guys I gotta be honest, I think the single best part of my life right now is work. I don't really care about much else aside from music, and even that's slipping a little bit. and I really enjoy my job. and this is giving me a bit of an identity crisis that I'm not sure how to handle.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Woo Carl, sounds like they know who they want to hire and it is you!

Patrick, I'm sorry your music seems to be slipping a bit :( But don't see it as a change in your identity - everyone needs a bit of time off even from things they love, and I'm certain you'll come back to it when you're ready. It's great that you enjoy your job!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

Yeah Pat, I didn't even as much as doodle in a notebook for the duration of my previous degree (3 years), before that I'd enjoyed drawing and making art since I was old enough to hold a pencil. Now I'm in art school, and I actually think the hiatus was good for me. Maybe questioning what you're doing is a good thing once in a while? You'll either find out that it's not for you, in which case you'll be better off than if you keep doing it just because you think you're supposed to and discover too late that you're not. Or you'll end up rediscovering it, and then it's even better for you because it'll be like falling in love all over again, only this time you'll be able to appreciate it more since you know what it's like to be without and it's more of a conscious choice this time around.

In other news, I got back from Norway yesterday and I've slept for 15 of the past 24 hours. I feel woozy.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Yesterday, I got two emails, one asking for more info, the other for an interview.
All my best wishes, Carl!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Def wishing carl good luck.

lepetitfromage

Yeah Pat, I didn't even as much as doodle in a notebook for the duration of my previous degree (3 years), before that I'd enjoyed drawing and making art since I was old enough to hold a pencil. Now I'm in art school, and I actually think the hiatus was good for me. Maybe questioning what you're doing is a good thing once in a while? You'll either find out that it's not for you, in which case you'll be better off than if you keep doing it just because you think you're supposed to and discover too late that you're not. Or you'll end up rediscovering it, and then it's even better for you because it'll be like falling in love all over again, only this time you'll be able to appreciate it more since you know what it's like to be without and it's more of a conscious choice this time around.

This is all SO TRUE. While a hiatus and/or decrease in applied creativity is never pleasant, it sometime does us more good than harm. Every once in a while I'll slip into a funk. They suck SO MUCH. But it makes coming back that much more amazing. Sure, there is the fear of "getting rusty" but it's like riding a bike- maybe even harder to forget, because while riding a bike is purely skill, creating is a skill that is part of who you are. Getting back into it is like coming home.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

it's not like I'm gonna be far removed from any musical endeavors. I still run 2 open mics a week and have band practice every other Sunday (yesterday included). so I'm not afraid of getting rusty, because that simply won't happen. I just don't feel the same sense of overwhelming joy I used to. I think what I need is an actual hiatus, except considering a significant portion of my income comes from one of my open mics, I literally cannot afford to.

it's a very strange sort of situation and I'm really not sure what to do about it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

also, I just realized that in my haste to be a negative nancy, I totally failed to thank you guys for your encouraging words. my apologies. thank you.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Joining the ranks of goodwishers for Carl and Patrick.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Thanks, guys!  Further information has been submitted, along with the internal supervisor's recommendation form... 

The further info included, of course, my recent employment history.  I stuck to the teaching positions.  Considering that the last two were part time only, I'm hoping I'm not torpedoed before setting sail...

I remember being on a hiring committee several years ago, and looking at a patchy vita, thinking "Do we really want to hire someone who can't seem to keep a job?" 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

an experienced perspective can only help the way you handle this. we all believe in you, all you gotta do is kill it <3

Barmymoo

• Mentat

So I am maybe going to move out of my tiny tiny flat which I love merely for the fact that it is mine and not really for anything else, except maybe its location which is pretty nice, and become the lodger of a friendly and pleasant woman who has a cat and a garden. I am freaking out over making the decision, it's basically been all I've thought about for the last three days.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

kittyyyyyyyyy

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I rang her and said I would like the room. She said that the friend from work who had originally been going to move in was still not sure (I didn't realise she was still in the frame, I thought she was sure she couldn't) and she'll let me know on Thursday. If on Thursday she's still not sure, I'll say "sod it" and stay here.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

GM, re: those first two videos, I can't remember who said it first, but since hearing it I've always loved to think that "We are the universe experiencing itself."

Makes me happy to think of it like that. Makes me less saddened by when people I love die. There's more to life than just chemical reactions, it takes energy. That sentience, the ability to recognize the sentience of others, and the desire to improve things for oneself and for the species... it's the love that tears us apart (ex. arms races leading to wars, etc.), but it's also the love that creates so many incredible things (more, better humans). And I don't think that dies when you die. I don't believe in an afterlife, but... energy and matter are never created or destroyed. They simply change.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Okay, so, it seems even now, people are still freaking out about Fukushima polluting our shores, much less the world, with radiation leaking out into the ocean. Make no mistake, it's anything but good. But it's not nearly as bad as people think. A little bit of research would dispel a lot of the panic. But given the general populace's track record with researching anything, here's some things to consider:

A commonly used unit to measure radioactivity is the Becquerel (Bq for short), which represents an amount of radioactive material where one atom decays per second. When we talk about the radioactivity measured in seawater, the measurements are reported per litre of seawater (Bq/L). Almost all the radioactivity in seawater is the result of naturally occurring radionuclides that have been transported or deposited in the oceans by natural processes. For example, over time radioactive elements in rocks and minerals are delivered to the ocean through the erosion of the continental crust.

The average radioactivity of seawater is about 14 Bq/L, of which nine-10ths comes from the naturally occurring elements potassium and rubidium. The remainder is fallout from atmospheric nuclear-weapons testing in the 20th century. So the natural level of radioactivity on average in the oceans is about 13 Bq/L, against which radioactivity resulting from human activities and disasters should always be discussed.

The radioactive element Cesium 137 (Cs-137) was released in large quantities from Fukushima into the Pacific. Pre-Fukushima levels of Cs-137 in the North Pacific, present from Cold War-era nuclear testing, represented 0.007 per cent of the natural radioactivity in a liter of seawater.

Measurements of Cs-137 were made by an international team of researchers immediately after the disaster in 2011. Forty kilometers from the reactor site, Cs-137 was elevated up to 25 per cent of the total naturally occurring background, but fell to two per cent of the background 600 kilometers offshore. Scientists did not have to take any precautions while handling seawater, sediment and biological samples collected during the study because the radioactivity was so low.

Talk of plumes of radioactivity being broadcast across the Pacific must take into account that the background radioactivity of seawater is about 14 Bq/L. It is important that although one can detect isotopes from the reactor in the environment, the absolute levels are very low and will be lower as the ocean mixes with distance from Japan and as the isotope decays.

You have to also take into consideration the 187 quintillion gallons of water that make up the Pacific Ocean, spanning at least 5,355 miles from Japan to the west coast. That's a shit ton of water, and a long way for it to travel.
It's not good that the radiation is even getting into the ocean, but it's not the end of the Pacific like sensationalist media outlets would have you believe.

And for the curious, the above information was taken from an article written by Jay T. Cullen, an associate professor and a marine chemist at the University of Victoria’s school of earth and ocean sciences.

Metope

I bought so much food and then I had to go back to Norway last week, so while my food hasn't gone bad yet, I can't eat it all before it does. So I did this:

Not all post-its in this flat are passive aggressive.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

lepetitfromage

ahaha I love their faces!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I would finish those oranges so bad

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Oranges and tangerines are regarded as auspicious by Chinese people, especially at New Year. This is because in some dialects the word for "orange" is a homophone for the word for "good luck", and that for "tangerine" sounds like "gold". So Metope wished her housemates good luck and prosperity, and at the right time of year, which is awesome! Perhaps she was Chinese in a previous existence...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

My roommates woke me up at six in the morning because they were out partying and had just returned.
And made a mess in the kitchen, waking me up.

I know they are still sleeping now. So I'm gonna return their favor by playing this at max volume:

I love this song so much.
Almost as long as I love my sleep. Assholes.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

In other news, I finally got my phone back, and the conductive charging works again, but the vibrating alarm stopped working.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Live plot of water level at Folly Bridge, the bridge over the Isis (Thames) in central Oxford:

Oh, the irony:
Oxfordshire - Dry Lane in Crawley closed between the B4047 Burford Road junction and the Leafield Road junction, because of flooding.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2014, 09:17 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Incidentally, although the Somerset Levels have been in the news in the past few days, with visits from members of the government, there are currently only two "severe" (="risk to life") flood warnings from the Environment Agency still in place there; by contrast, there are now fourteen along the length of the River Thames, including some around Oxford (two people died in flood-waters in Oxford last month).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Meanwhile the western U.S., particularly California, is suffering from a severe drought.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

We sure are. I'm actually seriously concerned for all of America since our agriculture makes up a significant portion of what the country eats as a whole.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

I've just been informed that I'm the nicest father of the whooooooooooole world.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Lines

• Awakened

That's freaking adorable.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I've been planning for weeks to go to the vegan cafe today - the first totally free day I've had in ages - and I just looked on Twitter to check its opening times and it's temporarily closed down :( I am really disappointed, I was so looking forward to actually having choice and being able to buy a coffee and a cake in a real cafe!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

That's freaking adorable.
It abso-freaking-lutely was. hug was included.
My Art.

Grognard

I was informed I'm abusive.

I made the Son&Heir who is as big as me, shovel snow.

Lines

• Awakened

My favorite valentine today was from one of the boys in my class (he's just under two). He did the stickers himself and we're both each other's bffs in class, so it made feel all warm and squishy. It's even better than the chocolate my husband brought me, when though that's a close second. :-)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Awwwww ...
My Art.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Bought a bottle of muscato for the chick who I'm not even really all that into. Had sex with a different girl last night.

I'm a real son of a bitch but fuck it I don't care about either of them and neither of them care about me (otherwise we'd hang out instead of just make out) so it's all gravy over here

"gravy"

"man gravy"

"semen"

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

Hello blog thread!

I am now officially living in Rockhampton, Queensland. Rockhampton is really humid and really hot and reminds me in almost all ways of Orlando. In fact it's basically Orlando. I live in Orlando. But without Disney World or Harry Potter World. I live in shitty Orlando.

So far people seem nice enough. It's only been a day so maybe they're actually all complete fuckwits, it could be too early to tell.

Anyway it's hot and I'm a bit homesick. Oh well.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Best Valentine's Day I've ever had.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I take it you either mixed up the dates, or you are only telling us now because it was a looooong Valentine's Day :D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I had sex the night before V day.

It was alright I guess. It just annoys me that my body prefers sex to masturbation, since I really don't like playing the hookup game, and I don't want to date anyone. Fuck. I wish I could be a less social animal and still be part of a musical species.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 98   Go Up