THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 11:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 573393 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Pilsner Urquell? Wut?

Also I read the one pack as "Trümmer Pils" / "wreckage/debris Pils"…

Do you have Flensburger Pilsener anywhere?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Urquell's a worldwide-distributed Pilsener, I used to drink it in both Luxembourg and Albania too! Don't be so surprised. :) Trumer is an old Austrian brand that was bought out by a company in Berkeley, and they still brew in both the original brewery and the 2nd one that they built in Berkeley. We don't carry Flensburger at my store, I'm afraid, I've never heard of it.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Too bad, Flens (especially in the Dunkel variant) is my favourite beer. But it tastes pretty bitter, so some people might not like it. I visited the brewery once, as my Grandparents live in Flensburg.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I found this book in the library last week, and it is blowing my mind.

One of my favorite things about libraries is that, since the books are organized by topic, if you find one book through a catalog search, there are often interesting books near it on the shelf.  I think some of the best things I read were things I found accidentally in the stacks. So last week I was looking for a book about the creation of self-identity for a paper I want to write and near it on the shelf I find this 6 volume work on "Language and Power"  If you know shit about me and my interests, that is a title written for me. 

So this book is like, a numbered treatise outlining the relationship between language and everything (namely reality, truth and power) from a fabulously post-modern perspective.  It's no secret that I am a post-modernist, though my formal education on the subject has been limited. Post-modernism *feels* true (ha!) to me; every encounter with a one of the concepts in a class is usually framed as something difficult, and every time it just clicked like, "oh, yeah, of course there is no Truth." but i've never been able to adequately explain how I see the concepts working, and most texts on the subject are dense to say the least.

This work is dense, for sure,  but the numbered topic style has been easy to follow. I'm on number 35 of 202 in the first book, and it has been a good mix of things which I feel like I have been trying to explain for years and things that I have to re-read 12 times to make sure I understand his argument.

Like, when I read this:

I was like yes! I have tried to explain this so many times, and I can't articulate what I mean, and I never feel like I connect with anyone about it. 

And there is a part which describes the way that "Shared meanings are always... only part of what could be said, of what is sayable, of what is said. The ones one shares with others are taken as true; the others are not" and I know I tried to explain this idea here once through many thousands of words and convinced no one.

Anyways, I don't expect anyone to care much because I've never really found anyone who gets as excited about the meaning/reality building powers of language, even in my academic circles, but I'm loving this book and I wanted to share.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 19:04 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Too bad, Flens (especially in the Dunkel variant) is my favourite beer. But it tastes pretty bitter, so some people might not like it. I visited the brewery once, as my Grandparents live in Flensburg.

dogg, I regularly drink Simtra by Knee Deep Brewing. shit's a heavyweight in every sense of the word. 131 IBUs and 11.25% alcohol by volume. bitter? come at me bro :D

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I had to shout at some students today. It was unpleasant but I got a weird adrenaline buzz out of it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

My professor pronounced "height" correctly today! He used to pronounce it like one would pronounce it  "weight".

I am happy for this.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Was that annoying enough to make you height him?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I bet you couldn't weight to make that joke.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Yes

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I bet you couldn't weight to make that joke.
I figured if I didn't say it, someone else meight.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Maybe this should go in the relationship thread but I feel like this is an easier way of telling everyone, but my girlfriend just dumped me, it was my fault and yes I'm fucking distraught and don't want to talk about it. But I plan on getting blackout drunk this weekend. A lot.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

:( Huge hugs, I'm really sorry. Be kind to yourself and let us know if you need anything, like photos of rabbits eating watermelon or something to punch.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If I'm punching anything it'll be a wall or myself.

Photos of anything hilarious would be good though. Not sure if a rabbit eating watermelon would fit that criteria.

Thankyou, May.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

:( Sorry to hear that, Gaz.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Not a valid youtube URL
OK so it's not a bunny but it's both adorable and kind of ridiculous.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Oh my fucking god it was a false alarm... I was convinced she was done with me, and knowing her I didn't think she would change her mind, but she has. I'm just going to have to earn her trust back (because her reasoning for ending it was sound).

Thankyou so much guys, you are like a second family to me, I'm sorry if this seems melodramatic. I hope it doesn't because I've been in will she/won't she dump me relationships before and this is not one of those. We've never had a crisis like this, so I am sorry for worrying anyone.

You are all great.

Including you, May. That video was both of those adjectives.

Loki

• comeback tour!

YAY!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Oh my god, wow, that's great news!

And don't think you have bothered us with this. We're here for you.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The fact that she calmed down and decided to try again is a good sign, and the fact that you've recognised a problem and want to work on it is another good sign. It means you're cutting each other some slack, and also prepared to work at a relationship. I'm really glad for you :)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

unavoidable comment regarding makeup sex goes here

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Jeez. I know I'm not the best listener, but if you want to talk, I'm on WhatsApp, Gareth.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Everything is ruined. We were 4 and a half hours away from hand-in, everyone's work was in the building and then the building caught fire. I have no idea what to do now. There are flames out the windows and black smoke everywhere. Fuck fuck fuck fuck!

The good thing is no one is hurt. But wow, all of everyone's work must be, if not from the flames themselves, from the smoke or the sprinklers.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Fuck, are you serious? I'm so sorry, that is completely shit. How much information do you have yet? Is the building still burning?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Holy crap. I don't even know how to respond to that. Both Metope's art being burned, smoked or soaked or May actually swearing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Papersatan

!!!!!!!!
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Metope

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27541883

Pretty sure everything is gone. Even the beautiful building, these pictures are horrendous.

We probably won't get any info for a while, we were just told to go home. But the windows are blown out, and everything inside is wooden (and soaked in turpentine from 100+ years of being an art school), so...

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Kris, I am so sorry. It must be so devastating, the timing couldn't possibly be worse.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

oh no...

Can't find words, this must have been devastating, hope you're okay Kris.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

I think this is the most awful think I've heard all year.  I am so sorry metope.

If there's anything the internet can do to help, or just to make you smile, we have cat pictures.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Oh my god Kris, I am so, so sorry. I lost a lot of my art when my parent's house flooded and knowing that something is gone that you've put your heart and soul into is just gut wrenching. I definitely feel for you right now. *hug*

If there is anything we can do to lessen the blow, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh, wow.

I am so sorry to hear this Metope. Gah.

I can only imagine the pain from this. I've only known one thing like this in my life - and it was when I was too young to know anything about it.

Hugs to you - it is going to be all right.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I'm so sorry, Meotope. *hugs*

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I sincerely don't know what to say. This is horrible. The loss of your work, the damage to the building. I'm terribly sorry.

Metope

Thanks guys, it means a lot to have people care! I'm with everyone else affected at the pub, we're all getting drunk. At least one side of the building is completely ruined, last time I stepped outside the smoke seemed to have calmed down, so we'll see what happens with the rest. The side that is ruined contains the heritage Mackintosh library with countless irreplaceable books and original Mackintosh furniture, and as far as I can tell that whole room in in ruins. The windows are blasted and there is water running out of them. I'm more sad about the building than my work really, this whole thing is just surreal.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's appalling, I'm finding it hard to believe.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I can't really say much more than that you may consider my hugs added to the pile.

EDIT @ 20:00 UK: You may have just been on the Classic FM news.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 12:03 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Metope

Thanks guys. To top it all off, my bag was stolen at the pub. Passport, wallet, laptop.... All gone. This is literally the worst day of my life.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear all of that :(

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Holy fuck...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Wow.

Metope

Yeah, we all gathered at the local pub and we all put our stuff down in a pile, there were a couple people there not from the art school, but we didn't think any of it. The huge pile of bags was big and I was standing right next to it most of the time. And then I bent down to get something out of it and it was just gone. I filed a report and all the stuff you have to do, but I'm counting on everything to be lost forever. I can't believe this day, I just want to go home.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Maybe you should :( If you can, consider having someone you trust walk you home for emotional support.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I don't seem able to do helpful-type words without a terrible feeling that they'll come off as insincere, but were I able to, I'd be writing some. I hope things get better.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Metope

Oh I am in my flat, I meant home to Norway. But my passport was in my bag...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The latest BBC News report says:

The fire service said more than 90% of the structure was viable and they had protected up to 70% of the contents.

Crossed fingers!  As for your bag - that just takes the cake...  but there are assholes everywhere, it seems.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I can't add anything that isn't just a platitude. As a songwriter I can reproduce my material whenever I wish. I can't imagine what it would be like if something I loved and worked on suddenly just didn't exist any more, never mind the rest of the shit sandwich that your day became.

Metope

Thanks guys. It's weird being in a situation where there's nothing you can do but wait, and not know anything about what's happening. I've done everything I could regarding my bag, cancelled my cards and filed a police report and given the pub manager my details. As for the school, I don't even want to think about it. My work isn't even that important compared to the building itself. I can always make new stuff. I talked to my tutor and he said his office is full of rare Japanese prints, old books and a painting by a friend who has since passed away. All of my stuff is replaceable really, even if I make new stuff or buy new stuff. My dad has already told me he'll give me the money to replace everything I lost of value, so that's a huge comfort. But yeah, it's so weird to not know anything or be able to do anything.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

That thief has got to be literally the shittiest human being on earth though.

I kinda understand where Gareth's coming from on the thought of stuff being gone, when my building was on fire last month, the first thing I did besides grab my hard drives was to grab some favorite miniatures I painted. They really aren't that valuable in the grand scheme of things, and I can always paint them again, my total collection is easily worth several thousand US... but the stuff I really put my heart and soul into? I can't reproduce that... I can make new stuff though... the loss of such a grand structure and the library, all those poor books! Not to mention rare pieces of art, truly irreplaceable items... the value in your tutor's office alone personal and cultural...

It's the type of thing that makes you take a good hard sit because there really is no way to fully process it all

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Sorry to hear about your loss and the cultural loss, as well. I hope somehow that it doesn't turn out as bad as it seems right now.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98   Go Up