THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 03:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 571382 times)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Ankh has been Ankh for ages.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Hope you two have fun. Take pictures, if you're so inclined.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So, in cleaning out my garage this afternoon, I discovered a copy of "Introducing Windows 95" (intended to be used with a new PC). Alongside was my copy of the Mac OS X.4 Tiger installation guide, a football program from 1990, another from my high school - the year after I graduated, in 1986 - and a Group Ticket Sales brochure for the Toronto Blue Jays - from 1982!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It has just come to light that while I was away, the person tasked with the slightly technical job of updating file permissions on the file server that holds all the individual, personnel, and trial files for the Medical Oncology clinical trials group made a little slip - she set all the files on the server to universal read/write, and also removed all trace of the previous settings.
Ow! That would have put me into what co-workers have occasionally described as a "Miss Mao" mood. Rebuilding that sort of thing is a pain, because permissions structures tend to evolve over time, and are often poorly documented. My sympathies.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

It has just come to light that while I was away, the person tasked with the slightly technical job of updating file permissions on the file server that holds all the individual, personnel, and trial files for the Medical Oncology clinical trials group made a little slip - she set all the files on the server to universal read/write, and also removed all trace of the previous settings.
Ow! That would have put me into what co-workers have occasionally described as a "Miss Mao" mood. Rebuilding that sort of thing is a pain, because permissions structures tend to evolve over time, and are often poorly documented. My sympathies.

Ditto on the Sympathies.
But I'd also have somebody on the phone, looking that fool's head on a platter.
what you're describing isn't a "minor" spill.  That is a major PII incident. 
The type that has fools looking for new jobs and careers shortly thereafter.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Not much sleep. About 3 hours. No real moment to relax, people everywhere. This is stressful. But I met Loki! :laugh:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

So I got my bag back from the police station yesterday! All the electronic stuff was gone, my computer, iPod and even my crappy little memory stick, which wasn't a surprise. But, I'd pretty much written everything off as lost forever, so getting anything back at all was a great surprise! My passport was still in there too, but I had gone to the consulate to cancel it the day before, so I don't know if it still works. I called them as soon as I found out, and the woman I talked to said that the Embassy might not have actually done it yet, so she'd call them and see if she could cancel the cancellation. Still haven't heard from her, so fingers crossed!

Even though nothing in the bag was of much valuable independently, all together it would have been pretty expensive to replace, so im considering that money saved. The bag was fairly new and I love it, and all of my quite pricey makeup was in there too. And my leather sketchbook cover, student card that would be 20 quid to replace... Even my loyalty coffee card with a free coffee on it, and my subway card with like 10 quid left. Not to mention all the little things that aren't worth anything in money but mean a lot to me sentimentally. So happy!
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 04:41 by Metope »
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I'm so glad you've got some of it back, especially the passport! Even if it has been cancelled already, at least you know there isn't a criminal gang using your identity. And there's still a chance your electronics might turn up, which would be a bonus.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Hopefully most of your data is in a backup or the cloud somewhere!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Metope

Yeah, they took my credit and debit card too which both have my photo on it, but I cancelled them both immediately after finding out my bag was gone so I'm not worried about those. I doubt my electronics will show up though. I know someone tried to use my laptop since I used my iPad to lock it remotely if it got online, and it did go online and locked itself the day after it was stolen. So I guess no one can get access to my stuff, the only person who can unlock it now is me, which is a comfort. I'm sure they'll find a way to wipe it and use it as new, but at least it means they can't get access to my personal things on there.

My iPod is actually the saddest part, I was really fond of it and I'd had it for 8 years. All my music was on there, everything I've listen to since I was 18. I loved that thing. I had a tiny hope they wouldn't have taken it since it's really old and grubby and not worth much at all in money anymore, but nope. I'm gonna go around to pawn shops and markets though just in case.

And yes, I have all my photos and documents backed up in the cloud, not my music though. As soon as I get my new cards in the mail I'm going to get an external hard drive and go to the library and put everything on it. So really the only stuff I've lost is physical things that can be replaced, and I might be eligible for this bursary my school has created for all the students who lost things in the fire. Not sure though since I lost everything by theft afterwards, but it would never have happened if there hadn't been a fire, so we'll see.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Do you have any kind of personal insurance? If so, you should get a crime number from the police and claim. Stupidly I do not, which meant that when I got mugged I didn't have any way to claim compensation (fortunately, and incredibly generously, a group of students at my church at that time donated the value of the bag's contents to me from their "emergency charity fund").
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

My insurance expired in January, and since it was a specific studying abroad insurance that you can only renew for a year, nothing less and nothing more, I decided to gamble on not having insurance until I was back in Norway. Pretty stupid of me, but lesson learned, I'll never be without insurance again.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

Today is International Day of the UN Peacekeepers, so I think I'll take a moment to reflect on my family members who have served as peacekeepers.

I'll also spare a moment to think about Buffalo 461, which my father was very nearly on.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Without wishing to belittle the actual day, I definitely read that as "International Day of the Buffalo" which bemused me somewhat.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper

I've been to Buffalo.  Nothing to celebrate there.

(Apologies to anyone from Buffalo.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I just found how to get Windows XP updates until 2019!
Disclaimer:  don't blame me if it doesn't work for you...

http://www.sebijk.com/community/board15-other/board73-tutorials/2985-getting-xp-updates/
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Guess who just quit her job. (Hint: it wasn't me.)
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

That one wench you've spoken angrily about to us before?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

If it's her, then HIGH FIVE!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Yes indeeeeeeeeed. It's so quiet now. Only one tearful phone call in the 3 hours since she left.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Wooooohoooo! That's awesome! :-D
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

There are exciting things happening. Cannot talk about it until Monday, though :3
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

Slowly crawling back from being completely useless. Having one's eyes lasered is an interesting experience. Also: a painful one.

And, my god, that copper bastard in the sky is bright.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So I'm privabky going to pride in 2 weeks, I could not be more excited

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me

I'm suspecting that your SM-T100 isn't very good friends with your Taptalk, there.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

So the girl I went on a date with on Thursday was supposed to come to my show last night, but couldn't make it. So that was a bummer. But she wants to make it up to me sometime this week, so that'll be nice. I really enjoy her company. Her snuggles ain't bad either. :3

As for the show itself, well, it was fucking insane. One of the best ones we've played in a while. I don't think we did a very good job of picking our set though. My fault, since I'm the one who suggested most of the songs. Oh well, we thrashed about for an hour and I got my fix for a while.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I've been quite unwell since returning from holiday, and expecting it to pass.  It hasn't, and today it was diagnosed as Giardiasis.  I've started a course of Metronidazole which should clear it in short order, but means no alcohol for the duration.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!

There are exciting things happening. Cannot talk about it until Monday, though :3

Okay, it is official now.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of physics students in one year.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of IT students in one year.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of math students in one year.

Each of them has their own culture and procedures and what they are used to having at their respective conference.
They pack a size of 200/200/100 people respectively. It is public opinion organizing *one* of them is hard. We have three.
People on every side have told us we are insane.

We need to organize accommodation, space for them to work, and most importantly, money for food. I won't say how much in case anyone from there ever finds this post, but suffice to say we are talking five-figures.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Are they all at the same time?! If not, are they timed in such a way that setting one up will also help prepare the next one? Sounds really complex! Do people pay to attend or does your university have to fund them?

Loki

• comeback tour!

They are at the same time.
There are attendance fees, but they are traditionally too low for us to pay for everything that is expected. We cannot afford raising them too much - after a certain point, people would understandably not attend in the first place.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Okay, it is official now.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of physics students in one year.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of IT students in one year.
Our student council is organizing the Germanwide conference of math students in one year.

Each of them has their own culture and procedures and what they are used to having at their respective conference.
They pack a size of 200/200/100 people respectively. It is public opinion organizing *one* of them is hard. We have three.

We need to organize accommodation, space for them to work, and most importantly, money for food. I won't say how much in case anyone from there ever finds this post, but suffice to say we are talking five-figures.
Did you have a nice journey home? (I'm assuming you wrote this from home)

I just arrived home from the KIF (the aforementioned conference of computer science Fachschaften). It was nice, but stressful. I'll probably write a bit more about it in the respective threads during the next few days.  I'm a little bit tired right now, I didn't sleep a lot during the conference, and while I slept around 7 hours today, I also drove us home, so about 350km (217 miles), the longest way I've driven so far. The Autobahn is great, and 140km/h (87mph) is a great cruising speed on it. You can still speed up if you need to overtake somebody, but it's fast enough to not have to switch lanes all the times because trucks are limited to 80km/h (50mph). I think the fastest I've went today was 185km/h (115mph), but that was a bit too fast for me to feel like I still have the car under my control. It was really great to have the opportunity to drive a long journey for the first time.

Yeah, and we are the ones who will organise the next KIF. We don't envy Loki's Fachschaft for organising the other two conferences as well.

Do people pay to attend or does your university have to fund them?
Usually the attendee's students' union pays the fee and travel expenses for a few or all of their attendees.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

I've been quite unwell since returning from holiday, and expecting it to pass.  It hasn't, and today it was diagnosed as Giardiasis.  I've started a course of Metronidazole which should clear it in short order, but means no alcohol for the duration.

Ooh man, been there and done that. get well, amigo.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

but means no alcohol for the duration.

FUCK

Seriously though get well soon Hodgy.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened

I've been quite unwell since returning from holiday...

Ick, Paul, I hope you feel better soon.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

My sympathies. That is probably down to not-so-clean water, alas.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

lepetitfromage

Oh no :-( Feel better soon!

Loki

• comeback tour!

Get well soon, Paul!
Ankh, my journey home was soso. As you may remember, I left the CompSci conference to attend the physics conference (which was meant to be a two hour journey to Düsseldorf). This included getting up at 6 am, but I was up at 5 already.
The journey to Düsseldorf then was rather uneventful, but once there, it turned out the trams I meant to take had been dropped from schedule, so I walked an hour with full baggage through the sun.

Once there, the (visibly sleepdeprived) organization team allowed me to crash on a couch in their HQ for an hour or so, and also to partake in the breakfast, even though I technically wasn't a registered attendant of the conference. That was very nice of them :3
The closing event of the physics conference was really interesting to watch from an outsider perspective.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

The eye doplets I have to use are called FML.

Make of that what you will.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid

Some old-ish guy came into my work yesterday, said "Everything is so damn awesome these days, it's getting boring," let me high five him, and left. I hope I see him again, he was the shit.

Papersatan

Today I jedistered with the job center so that I could claim unemployment,  Then I got home and had a phone interview for a job which left me feeling all mixed up for a bunch of reasons.

1. noone schedualed it with me.  I had a phone interview with the recruiter last week and he said someone would contact me to set up an interview with the hiring manager.  Well the hiring manager just called, so thank goodness I was home and heard the phone.  10 min earlier and I would have been driving an ignored it. 

2. It requires a lot of knowledge I don't have. They are using Linux and Java, neither of which I know.  They said for the right person they are willing to help them learn, but that's a lot of upfront pressure to predict one's ability to learn a new skill.

3. I am not sure I want the job.  It would be a great position, which would give me a lot of room to grow and learn and move up in the future, but those upward movements are not really in the area I want to be working. I am unemployed, so any job should be great.  I just got a rejection from the only other job I've interviewed for. I should be nothing but excited about this opportunity, but I don't want to waste my time and their time and their money (because this would involve a relocation) if I'm not going to be good at the job or I am going to bounce at the first opportunity.  And, as a vain, entitled shit, I want the kind of job that I want, not just one that wants me.

4. AAARRGGHHH. Maybe they won't even ask me for an inperson so I won't have to worry about it.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

lepetitfromage

I don't think that not wanting that job makes you a vain, entitled shit. It makes you confident in your abilities, knowledgeable about your needs and driven to succeed in a field you enjoy. I had a phone interview with a company looking for admin+sales....I am strictly admin. I've never done sales work in my life (unless you count retail, which I don't- people come looking for things to buy and then buy them. There is no salesmanship involved in that). They told me that they would train me but I was just flat out not interested. Knowing what you don't want is just as important as knowing what you do want.

However- it might pose a problem with unemployment if they decide that they want to hire you. I don't know how it works in your state but from what I understand, here in NY you have to report to the unemployment office and let them know that you are actively looking, applying, going on interviews, etc. You also HAVE to take a job offer that is within x% of what you made in your last position or you risk losing your unemployment.

Papersatan

It's the same here,  but it is self reported, so I don't need to tell them I got an offer..  Also, I can tell the company that I'm not interested before they make an offer.

snalin

• You may Baste me

2. It requires a lot of knowledge I don't have. They are using Linux and Java, neither of which I know.  They said for the right person they are willing to help them learn, but that's a lot of upfront pressure to predict one's ability to learn a new skill.

For those things, you have all the resources in the world on this very forum. Also it's not particularly difficult. You'll be fine.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss

Prepare 100 meals and let each group of students randomly select two representatives from their midst to fight in a battle royale for the right to eat. Everyone sleeps in one of three giant tents.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Papersatan

I don't need to worry about it any more.

He was impressed with your desire to get more technical and your answers to some of his QA questions.  But he feels he needs someone with more tech experience from Day One.  The learning curve is just too great.  Sorry this won’t work out.  Thanks very much for your time and interest.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Prepare 100 meals and let each group of students randomly select two representatives from their midst to fight in a battle royale for the right to eat. Everyone sleeps in one of three giant tents.

No no no this won't do at all. That's just fucking wrong on so many levels.

It should be fifty meals. You can't spoil them you know.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Actually you traditionally prepare one meal for everyone on one day, all the other days there is only the so called "eternal breakfast". Bread, butter and things to put on the bread.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Except the physicists expect snacks to be served during their final assembly and don't do any breaks during it, while the IT students and the mathematicians expect breaks to grab something from the eternal breakfast.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Just tell them that things are different this year.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I've lived here in Lund for six months now and have passed the secluded vegetarian restaurant more than a hundred times, but I've never gone there until yesterday. I'm eating what was left over from yesterday (which is like sixty percent of the whole meal) and my god, it's amazing. Tastes like having Mother Nature in your mouth, I've never had anything like it. And for getting two meals out of it, it's not expensive either. I have got to go there more often, but they're only open in the middle of the day, which is incredibly inconvenient.

Maybe I'll just start having my dinner at lunchtime from now on.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98   Go Up