THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 Jun 2024, 03:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 159249 times)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Something about watching Steve eat cereal with no shirt on made me want to buy a shirt.

Which means i've figured it out: it's SUBLIMINAL ADVERTISING, people!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I suppose that my mentioning flakes in the context of breakfast cereal was corny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

Claire in panel four. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Well, waking up presented no more trolling (for now).
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

*Doffs cap at Cold* Yes it is.

It could just be grainy, though.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

I sincerely believe he has feelings for her. I truly do.

And yes, the look + the hair = dang-worthy commentary in Panel 4...It's obvious that her glasses do not do her justice.
To the contact lens store!!! *fwoosh*
Worry Hat, Engage!

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

We'll disagree.  At best, I don't think Marten has thoughts or feelings either way for Claire.  Honestly, I don't think it has yet entered his mind for him to come to a decision about anything.  That said, I think he was merely surprised to have someone using him as a human pillow, which did scare him a bit (the little loop that signifies shivers was in the art on one panel) thought about it, and decided it was fine for now.  I mean, not like Marten is an ass.  But again, kinda pointless talking about it right now.  There's been on indication of Marten's feelings for Claire outside of a solid friendship within the context of the comic so far.

I can see your viewpoint as presented thus far, but I'd endeavor to point out a minor detail - I personally believe the lines above Marten's shoulders in the panel you're referring to are simple movement lines, showing that he pushed himself up on his elbows in an attempt to politely extricate himself and avoid any awkwardness.  Of course, then Claire did her Murloc impression and he decided that he didn't want to wake her up and just rolled with it.

And on today's comic....kind of an anti-resolution.  Claire had to wake up at some point, see she was cuddling with Marten, and scoot to the other bed, but she's making no mention of it.  I still hold that neither of them were blackout drunk (as evidenced by the fact that Marten seems to remember everything fine and Claire doesn't seem to have a "wishing for death" hangover) and is attempting to avoid awkwardness by pretending that nothing happened.  Whether this is because she does or does not harbor some sort of romantic feelings for our hapless protagonist....I'll leave that discussion to others as I don't think today's comic provides any new points to really speculate on in that regard.

Narcolepto

• Not quite a lurker

Aww Marten's face in panel 4 looks so sad.
For the Horde!

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Oh Jeph, you cad bastard. Well played.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

What if #2405-06 were just part of Marten's dream?  :psyduck: ...

And yes, Claire shouldn't use glasses, just look at the last panel.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Ninja's by K1dmor!  :x

But yes, Marten could have just been dreaming in #2405. The way Claire's acting in this comic, he might as well have been.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I think he's probably wondering why the hell she didn't tuck him in when she went and tucked herself into bed...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

But yes, Marten could have just been dreaming in #2405. The way Claire's acting in this comic, he might as well have been.

:o You terrible, terrible people... That is a horrifying thought and should be stricken from the record. Not just because of the characters involved, but because the thought of "wait you guys all this stuff never really happened" is, as a general rule, a punch to the readers' collective gut. A punch to my gut. You make Blue-chan cry...  :'(

I think he's probably wondering why the hell she didn't tuck him in when she went and tucked herself into bed...
Hmmm...Hokay, crying time is over. Optimism time is now. Thanks, Carl ;D
Worry Hat, Engage!

Sassafras

• Plantmonster

Claire had to wake up at some point, see she was cuddling with Marten, and scoot to the other bed, but she's making no mention of it.
Ah, but Claire moved to cuddle Marten while she was still asleep, so there's a possibility that she moved off of cuddling him while still asleep. She might have woken up in non-cuddle position and just moved to the other bed for more space, and genuinely isn't aware that she cuddled him at all. We won't know for certain unless she brings it up.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

Awkwardness in 3... 2... 1...
Super-villain in training.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

:o You terrible, terrible people... That is a horrifying thought and should be stricken from the record. Not just because of the characters involved, but because the thought of "wait you guys all this stuff never really happened" is, as a general rule, a punch to the readers' collective gut. A punch to my gut. You make Blue-chan cry...  :'(

I don't want that to happen, i just thought it since Jeph is trolling us, it would be awful  :-( .

Maybe we'll see what happened when Claire woke up in a future strip?  :?

Also, was Marten's shirt that open before?

candlejack

• Not quite a lurker

I don't think this is the start of where Marten starts to have feelings for Claire. I think that he enjoyed having someone next to him through out the night and misses the feeling of being in a relationship.
Nothing to see here, move along.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor

Welcome, new person! You have a point, it might be simple wanting for companionship, rather than anything more, at this point. A man can dream, though...a man can dream. (We really need a Farnsworth emote)

Also, was Marten's shirt that open before?

I actually had to go back to check that when I first saw the new comic...yes, his top two buttons have been the only ones undone since they got back to the room.
Worry Hat, Engage!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

and just like that, all the d'awwww evaporated

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

Only to be replaced by Shock and Awwwwwww. . . .

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

I adore Claire in the last panel.

I don't think this is the start of where Marten starts to have feelings for Claire. I think that he enjoyed having someone next to him through out the night and misses the feeling of being in a relationship.

Your comment on loneliness reminded me of 2082 & 2083. Just as an aside. And hello. :)
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

xAmilli0n

• Not quite a lurker

I don't even know what to think anymore lol.

If anything, it definitely looks like Marten is developing some sort of feelings towards Claire.  He definitely looks a bit disappointed to not be waking up next to her.  At the very least surprised.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Yeah, it can be really unsettling to wake up and realize the person you were cuddling with is on the other side of the room. "Oh, I didn't want to wake you up. *has been happily and quietly playing an MMO*" It's a strangely lonely feeling for those first few confused moments.

This does make me wonder if Claire's a sleepwalker, though.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I was not part of the shipping part of this community, but I think the expression of Marten at least shows him being disappointed. Whether that's loneliness, pure surprisal, or feelings for her can't be said for sure.

Jephzibah you magnificent bastard!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Charbovari

Before conversation moves irrevocably to the new strip, I just wanted to hop in (hello!) and share a thought I had about the strip with Steve eating cereal. Looking at Steve's facial expressions, I suddenly realized that one of the things that makes QC unique and excellent is that Jeph typically doesn't let us read the minds of his characters. All we get is what they say out loud, their gestures, and their body language. I think this really adds to the realism of the comic and is one of the reasons I love it so much; the characters remain mysterious and real because we view them as separate from us. That's probably why the comic is so actively discussed and debated on forums like this one.

That is all! *vanishes*

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Yeah, it can be really unsettling to wake up and realize the person you were cuddling with is on the other side of the room. "Oh, I didn't want to wake you up. *has been happily and quietly playing an MMO*"..

Yeah; unless that person woke up early to make you breakfast, that's the best thing  :laugh: .

But if was playing mmo...get revenge  :evil: :
(click to show/hide)

candlejack

• Not quite a lurker

That is all! *vanishes*

He's like a freaking ninja!

Run for your lives! Ninjas have invaded the forum!
Nothing to see here, move along.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

So...
 Marten turn off the lights and go to sleep.
 Now they wake up, but the lights are on.
 You are gonna tell me she just woke up? Nice try Claire   :-D .

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Before conversation moves irrevocably to the new strip, I just wanted to hop in (hello!) and share a thought I had about the strip with Steve eating cereal. Looking at Steve's facial expressions, I suddenly realized that one of the things that makes QC unique and excellent is that Jeph typically doesn't let us read the minds of his characters. All we get is what they say out loud, their gestures, and their body language. I think this really adds to the realism of the comic and is one of the reasons I love it so much; the characters remain mysterious and real because we view them as separate from us. That's probably why the comic is so actively discussed and debated on forums like this one.

That is all! *vanishes*
And that's probably why we talk so much about intentions for each character toward each other! I honestly can't remember if I've thought about them not having thought bubbles before. It didn't occur to me; I guess that states something else toward the realism of the comic. I do like that we don't know for 100% sure most of the the time what they're thinking. We have to treat them like we do our friends--we only know what they've chosen to show or tell us. And that's all we can go on.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Marten turn off the lights and go to sleep.
 Now they wake up, but the lights are on.
 You are gonna tell me she just woke up? Nice try Claire   :-D .
Could just be that giant light in the sky... :-D

@Comic:
Dis gon b gud. And awkward! Time for hats!

Marten might just be disappointed because now the situation moves into a territory for him where he has to become active in order to resolve it. Like "Hey, Claire, um... about last night."
This has always been unsettling for him.
If she had just woken up beside him it would've been much more natural to talk about it.

But I vote for breakfast, then breakdown.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My older sister can remember when sugar was no longer rationed, and Mars bars became legal to buy again - more than one per family per week.

I remember going to buy sweets with a ration book.

The comic takes us neatly out of the trolling territory, while leaving the whole question of where this goes still up for grabs.  Next up: breakfast with Veronica, and embarrassment all round?
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2013, 00:34 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

NoOne3

• Not quite a lurker

And yes, Claire shouldn't use glasses, just look at the last panel.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Panel is nice, spectacles gives her some personality, though.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

The ambiguity in today's comic is killing me. Why does he make us wait for another 24 hours? Why?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Next up: breakfast with Veronica, and embarrassment all round?

I can see endless possibilities!

----
Marten and Claire come down to have breakfast with Veronica who is sitting next to a hitherto unknown guy. "Hey son, this is Guy. I met him at the reception." "GODDAMMIT MOM."

Turns out Guy is in fact not a new pickup of Veronica, but someone important for plot reasons.

Oh god. What if Guy is Claire's dad?  :psyduck:

----

Veronica nonchalantly mentions: "So, have you slept together?"
Marten: "NO!"
Claire: "Huh, what are you talking about? Of course we slept together. I cuddled up next to you, then went over to my bed. What's the big deal?"

Cue shocked looks all around.
----

On today's comic: Marten might be simply disappointed that she won't recognize that yes, there was physical interaction. Marten's still a guy and she is a girl, after all.

Also: Claire, do you really think that waking up at the exact time when Marten stands up makes you unsuspicious?  :-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I can't take my eyes off the two-tone pillows...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

As it happens, the pillows I have that are nearest to that are made by a company from your country (Sheridan). :-P
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Next up: breakfast with Veronica, and embarrassment all round?

Veronica nonchalantly mentions/notices that Claire is trans. Offers Claire some insight and her experiences with the third gender.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Just cereal? No way is that a full nutritious breakfast.

I have just cereal for breakfast. Although today I have no cereal at all, and I am wondering what on earth to eat instead (I also have no bread, no eggs, and no desire whatsoever to cook anything).

To me, Marten looks puzzled and sort of like he can't quite work out whether what he's remembering really happened or not. I am reserving judgement on disappointed until we have something more definite either way.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Awkward time!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "disappointed." :P

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Agreed.

Panel 2: "Where the fuck did she go? I liked that!"
Panel 4: "Goddamnit, why are you over THERE?"
Panel 5: "Ah, shit, now this is getting awkward".

Marten may or may not have feelings for Claire, but he sure as hell likes cuddling her, it seems.

Also, daaaaaang. (Some women look better with glasses, but Claire looks far better without them.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten doesn't even have a stuffed animal to cuddle. He must be in a state of deprivation. Dora has Mieville, Faye had her stuffed giraffe, but all Marten has is a lump of hard plastic.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Marten doesn't even have a stuffed animal to cuddle. He must be in a state of deprivation. Dora has Mieville, Faye had her stuffed giraffe, but all Marten has is a lump of hard plastic.

Are you calling Claire a "lump of hard plastic"?  :psyduck:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

animal to cuddle.
Dora has Mieville

Does not compute. Most cats emphatically DON'T LIKE to be hugged for extended periods of time and they will make it known, should you attempt to do so. Probably with making a bloodbath out of your hands.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

animal to cuddle.
Dora has Mieville

Does not compute. Most cats emphatically DON'T LIKE to be hugged for extended periods of time and they will make it known, should you attempt to do so. Probably with making a bloodbath out of your hands.

I can attest to this, my cat will sleep beside me but if i hug he tries to rip my nipples out...
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

My cat is too stupid to excert acts of violence on me.

On another note: Marten is definitely disappointed. As to why that is? No idea.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Second-to-last-panel Marten is hilarious/adorable.

@ concept that the Steve panel was a dream: mind = blown
But WHO'S dream? >:D

@ cats - keep the Lil fuckers away from me. I'm allergic and they maul me

@@K1dmor - awesome comic xD

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

Second-to-last-panel Marten is hilarious/adorable.

@ concept that the Steve panel was a dream: mind = blown
But WHO'S dream? >:D

Could have been Claire's dream, if you think back to the beach party she was willing to pay Cosette for something (Can't remember exactly)
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

$20, to grab Steve's ass, IIRC.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Re: Thought bubbles, I can only remember the once.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up