THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 03:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Umm, what??? That's pointless...  (Read 770580 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Umm, what??? That's pointless...
« Reply #2150 on: 07 Dec 2013, 16:53 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2151 on: 07 Dec 2013, 23:02 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2152 on: 08 Dec 2013, 08:05 »

Quote from: Jack Dawson
I later learned it was over eighty years ago, when she said she'd never let go. Then she let go. I sank, and I sank fast, and everything was so cold, colder than I thought possible. All of a sudden I couldn't move, like I'd been encased in ice. It was oddly comforting, and I slept, never expecting to wake up. I didn't dream much, but when I did, it was always of her. Then all of a sudden I woke up. I looked up and the ice had started to crack. I was able to stick my arm out and I saw what had caused the crack, it was a blue stone. The Heart of the Fucking Ocean had awoken me from my eternal slumber. Suddenly I realized I was underwater, and grabbing the stone, swam up as fast as I could. I got to the surface, and oddly enough, there was a pair of sunglasses floating there, which was good, since it was bright out. I looked up and saw the person who had thrown in the stone and for a brief moment I saw her. "Rose?", I asked myself. "No, that can't be her, that woman's ancient...unless...how long was I under?" Luckily the boat was close enough so I was able to swim to it and attract the attention of someone on board, who lowered a life raft. I grabbed onto it, and if I knew what I was getting myself into...well, I'd still have grabbed the fucking thing, the ocean was still cold!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2153 on: 08 Dec 2013, 10:36 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2154 on: 08 Dec 2013, 11:03 »

There is always someone out there more bored then you are.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2155 on: 08 Dec 2013, 11:04 »

The ice is a nice touch.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2156 on: 08 Dec 2013, 12:41 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2157 on: 08 Dec 2013, 12:42 »

That version's played out.

The better version:

There are 10 types of people in the world:
(click to show/hide)

I know - I was trying to set that one up.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2158 on: 08 Dec 2013, 13:25 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2159 on: 08 Dec 2013, 16:53 »

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2160 on: 08 Dec 2013, 20:05 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2161 on: 08 Dec 2013, 20:06 »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture that so fully summed up what it is to be a cat owner.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2162 on: 08 Dec 2013, 20:12 »

I've seen some cat ladies before but wow.

The look on the cat's face! "You got 10 seconds to get off me before I rip out your fukin throat!"

« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2013, 20:21 by LeeC »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2163 on: 09 Dec 2013, 07:24 »

Whilst I think stuff like that is adorable and really cute, I always feel bad for the future kid who discovers that it wasn't true and it was all an elaborate, if lovingly-meant, hoax. I was gutted when I discovered the was no tooth fairy.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2165 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:24 »

Whilst I think stuff like that is adorable and really cute, I always feel bad for the future kid who discovers that it wasn't true and it was all an elaborate, if lovingly-meant, hoax. I was gutted when I discovered the was no tooth fairy.
How is it any worse than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or, for that matter, any particular deity?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2166 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:30 »

Contains images or swords and a gun
(click to show/hide)

I haven't seen despicable me 2 yet but wow
http://imgur.com/gallery/jIk1I
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2013, 08:39 by LeeC »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2167 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:44 »

on Swords

The vaunted differences between the katana and the longsword are largely myth.

First off: longswords are nowhere near as heavy as everyone thinks they are, the weight difference between an average longsword and an average katana is very slight.

Second: Longswords are not just random hack and slash weapons. THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS JUST RANDOM HACK AND SLASH WEAPONS EVERY WEAPON IN THE WORLD REQUIRES SKILL AND FINESSE! To use a longsword requires precision and training and skill. If you think the longsword requires no skill I suggest you try fighting a master, or go read The Flower of Battle by Fiore dei Liberi.

Third: The structural differences between a katana and a longsword make little to no functional difference.
The reason the katana is so narrow and has a slight curve has nothing to do with functionality and EVERYTHING to do with iron being very rare in Japan.
The curve on a katana is only enough to help increase the cutting length while using the minimum of material.
The differences between Katana technique and longsword technique are about as large as the differences between Italian longsword technique and German longsword technique.
Because there’s only so much you can do with a long sharp piece of metal.

Fourth: The Katana did not evolve. They came up with one design and never changed it for thousands of years, not once. The design process of the longsword is well documented, it went through thousands of permutations and redesigns to make it more efficient, more useful and more adaptable.

Fifth: Longsowrds took a fuckton of work and preparation. Ok, I’m about to burst your bubble here, but bear with me because you’re going to learn something.
When the Japanese developed their folded steel technique it was in response to the fact that their iron ore was not only rare, it was also so full of impurities it was brittle and pretty awful at being a weapon.
All the Japanese folded steel technique really did was bring their steel up to the quality that was standard in most European steel.
Why do I say Japanese folded steel?
BECAUSE THE REST OF THE WORLD HAD ALREADY GOTTEN THERE ABOUT A THOUSAND YEARS BEFOREHAND!
Japanese Folded Steel is primitive compared to some of the shit we were producing for weapons at the same time in Europe.
And do you want to know who the masters of that were? THE FUCKING VIKINGS!
Japanese folded steel involves hammering one piece of steel into a fucking sandwhich over and over and over again.
Viking folded steel involves taking separate rods of Iron (For a flexible core) and Steel (for a hard edge) AND FUCKING BRAIDING THEM TOGETHER! LITERALLY BRAIDING TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF METAL IN THREE OR MORE PIECES TOGETHER AND THEN HAMMERING THAT INTO A SWORD! JUST TRY AND TELL ME THAT’S NOT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING YOU’VE EVER HEARD!

Sixth: The Katana was a backup weapon. It was literally the last resort. It got a lot of reverence in bushido because of how pretty it was and for no other reason. But the chief weapon of the samurai was actually their Kyu (longbow) followed by their Naginata (A spear, which was essentially like a katana on a stick and WAY more effective) or their Tetsu bo (A big conical wooden club covered in iron studs) and then if none of that worked then they would use the katana.

Seventh: The function of a longsword depends on the historical period you’re thinking of. In the 15th century and onward they were for dealing with plate armour and their design changed to reflect that.
But they existed long before then and had many different functions, people of each period tailoring them for their specific needs.

Eighth: Swords are expensive. Doesn’t matter what period or country you’re in a sword is a LOT of metal and metal is ALWAYS expensive.
In almost every culture spears and axes were FAR more common than swords.
This caused a widespread phenomenon that historians/archaeologists/folklorists refer to as “the cult of the sword” where the rarity and beauty of swords causes them to become an object of reverence.
Almost every culture that developed swords also developed a weird spiritual reverence for them. The cult of the sword died off FAR later in Japan than it did in Europe which is why katanas have so much reverence and mythology attached to them even into the modern age.

Ninth: Stop idealising other cultures because they’re over there.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2168 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:46 »

How is it any worse than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or, for that matter, any particular deity?

No worse - we never did the Easter Bunny in my family, but I was also disappointed that there's no Father Christmas. As for deities, if the parents believe in that deity then it's not dishonest of them to teach their children about it/them (although I think they should also be honest about the fact that many people don't believe, and allow them to make their own mind up). You can enjoy the story of Father Christmas etc without pretending he's real.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2169 on: 09 Dec 2013, 08:49 »

@Blue kitty: if anything my post was about stop idolizing swords period. Go Indy!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2170 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:05 »

THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS JUST RANDOM HACK AND SLASH WEAPONS EVERY WEAPON IN THE WORLD REQUIRES SKILL AND FINESSE! To use a longsword requires precision and training and skill

I actually disagree with this statement on some level. Cutlasses and Machetes can be pretty efficiently used with minimal skill and training. The Marine Corps cutlass manual circa the mid 1800s suggested a day to teach new recruits the basic drills and cuts, then work it in to regular bayonet practice.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #2171 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:10 »

I love how that scene was originally supposed to be this fencing thing between Indy with his whip and the swordsman blocking whip strikes and advancing, and because Harrison Ford had the shits, they reworked it to just shooting him. That's just glorious.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2172 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:13 »

There's no proof that Santa doesn't exist.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2173 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:17 »

I thought Ford improv'ed it?

Also NORAD tracks Santa on their air defense radars every year. Proof positive bitches.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2174 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:17 »

I love how that scene was originally supposed to be this fencing thing between Indy with his whip and the swordsman blocking whip strikes and advancing, and because Harrison Ford had the shits, they reworked it to just shooting him. That's just glorious.
actually he just did it on a whim, the swordsman acted along with it (for laughs) and the directors ended up keeping it, felt it was more tuned to how the character would react...much to the dismay of the swordsman who was exited to have his own long scene in a movie.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2175 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:18 »

Albeit no one will forget the swordsman still to this day. So he kinda cemented himself a place in cinema history.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2176 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:20 »

They probably have some of the major details right by pure luck, along with plenty wrong, but that doesn't mean that he isn't real.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2177 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:22 »

There's no proof that Santa doesn't exist.

Not talking about whether or not Santa exists... I'm talking about whether or not the parents believe he does. I don't think it's dishonest to tell your child that something exists if you truly believe that it does, only if you know it doesn't but are trying to get them to believe in it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2178 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:24 »

They once did.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2179 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:25 »

They probably have some of the major details right by pure luck, along with plenty wrong, but that doesn't mean that he isn't real.

What? I was talking about the "Indy shoots the swordsman scene" from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2180 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:25 »

And now they know better, and they're still deceiving the child! It is illogical to teach children that they shouldn't lie and then systematically lie to them for years.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2181 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:32 »

Right, GM, ignore my response, ha. Yeah, Ford did improv it.

And May, you're right. It bugs me too, when you put it like that. It's like when parents tell kids that hitting is bad, and then have no problem spanking.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2182 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:34 »

I think someone confused Harrison Ford for Santa...

And yes, Santa is real. But he died a long time ago. (Saint Nicholas.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2183 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:39 »

I actually confused Harrison Ford for Ford Motor Company (like he was saying Ford made up Santa as a marketing gimmick).

Saint Nicholas didn't die, he just moved north and hid.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2184 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:50 »

I think my approach will be similar to the one in the blog post I linked; to tell my children about Saint Nicholas and how the story about him has morphed into Santa, discuss the traditions (not just the UK ones but other countries too), and warn them not to ruin the game for other children.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2185 on: 09 Dec 2013, 09:54 »

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2186 on: 09 Dec 2013, 10:04 »

I think my approach will be similar to the one in the blog post I linked; to tell my children about Saint Nicholas and how the story about him has morphed into Santa, discuss the traditions (not just the UK ones but other countries too), and warn them not to ruin the game for other children.
It's just an annual nation-wide theater play. There's no reason it can't be just as fun if the children know that as well.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2187 on: 09 Dec 2013, 10:09 »

Precisely - kids love imaginative play, the fact that they know it isn't real doesn't ruin it at all. Thinking it is then finding out it isn't does though.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2188 on: 09 Dec 2013, 10:28 »

@Blue kitty: if anything my post was about stop idolizing swords period. Go Indy!

Mine was from a post on tumblr someone made in response to another post responding to the gif
And that is what happens when a masterfully crafted scalpel collides with a masterfully crafted guillotine.

Does nobody understand that longswords and katanas are two different kinds of tool?Longswords are essentially sharpened fucksticks designed to destroy the shit out of anything resembling armor that comes their way. They shatter bone, jelly flesh, and essentially fuck people up by sheer inexorable force of being a goddamn sharp steel bar.

Katanas don’t do that.They’re not meant to withstand collision with armor or a brick wall or a charging fully outfitted warhorsebecause the circumstances of its development didn’t call for that. It’s a precision instrument. It’s designed to be lightweight, outmaneuver, and find weak spots, not go barreling into people hack-n-slashing your way to victory. It’s a specialized tool.

In a sense this reflects a core difference between cultures; katanas are a shitton of work and preparation to make the execution as efficient and streamlined as possible, while longswords are more durably and simply made in response to a climate that would require a soldier to be a one-man battering ram in battle.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2189 on: 09 Dec 2013, 10:31 »

I think someone confused Harrison Ford for Santa...

And yes, Santa is real. But he died a long time ago. (Saint Nicholas.)

Santa is real, but as we have noted else where, Santa is Odin All Father.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2013, 12:12 by LeeC »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2191 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:19 »

Did European swordsmiths also do the trick with frozen-in stresses in the blade to put the edge under compression and thus allow a more brittle steel there than would normally be functional?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2192 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:25 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2193 on: 09 Dec 2013, 12:33 »

the horse one is the best

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2194 on: 09 Dec 2013, 13:23 »

Wait, if he improvised it, why was the gun already loaded with blanks?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2195 on: 09 Dec 2013, 13:26 »

on Swords
For obvious reasons, I am no fan of katana-fetishisation, and I know nothing much about European swords or swordsmanship, but the credibility of the passage you quoted is blown out of the water, piled up on shore, dried out and burned to ashes by this piece of ahistorical drivel:
Fourth: The Katana did not evolve. They came up with one design and never changed it for thousands of years, not once. The design process of the longsword is well documented, it went through thousands of permutations and redesigns to make it more efficient, more useful and more adaptable.

Not all Japanese swords are katana. Not even all Japanese swords that look like katana, to the untutored fanboy eye, are katana. The katana was a fairly late development in Japanese sword design, not "thousands of years" old, and its design varied over time in response to its very busy users' needs. Essentially the quoted passage is simply the mirror-image of ignorant katana fetishisation.

Ninth: Stop idealising other cultures because they’re over there.
Because it is much better to piss on other cultures without taking the trouble to learn about them, right?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2196 on: 09 Dec 2013, 13:26 »

Wait, if he improvised it, why was the gun already loaded with blanks?
for other scenes probably they were to shoot in the day, no pun intended

though I think 9th is more directed to the untutored fanboys who love and spout "facts" about stuff they do not really know and claim to be experts.

« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2013, 13:47 by LeeC »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2197 on: 09 Dec 2013, 13:54 »

I'm more concerned with, "Aunt Bonnie's Dead Friend Sarah's Squares"?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #2198 on: 09 Dec 2013, 14:04 »

That passage is a bit hack and slash.

For a very, very brief introduction into the history and construction of swords by the Japanese, you could do worse than to read the relevant Wikipedia article on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sword And if you are going to fetishise something, at least have the decency to do it with at least some scholarly approach.

I've always enjoyed the hardware side of military history, but it's silly to obsess about a katana because it's pretty and supposed to be fuck off sharp. You should be taking it in context of the other arms and armours of the region/era that it was being used in because that tells us so much more about the way we used to fight each other. That sort of thing should be far more interesting.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 97   Go Up