THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 00:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Umm, what??? That's pointless...  (Read 772666 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Umm, what??? That's pointless...
« Reply #3550 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:11 »

Metre is the correct British spelling - it's not a "fancy pants" thing!

How do I find out the size and resolution of my laptop screen?
There are too many Americans in this forum, who believe their spelling is the correct one. Why can't we all standardize on the Queen's English?  :mrgreen:

Because you lot lost the war.  :parrot:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3551 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:18 »

As for your laptop's screen size, two ways to do it.

The first is to measure it diagonally. (Or measure it horizontally and vertically, square both measurements, add them, and get the square root. Either way, it's the same result.)

The second is to Google for your laptop's model number.

The other thing is that 1366x768 is technically not a resolution, it's a framebuffer size (or pixel dimensions). 112 pixels per inch (the resolution of a 1366x768 14.0" display) is a resolution.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #3552 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:00 »

Depends on which war, and who you are talking to. If you are referring to the British, and WW2, technically the British and their allies won the war against the Axis powers. Admittedly, without help from the Americans, it would have been difficult.

Still, English as of today is a fragmented language. Americans cannot (or will not) understand British English. And British English has a lot of difficult dialects. Not to mention Scottish, Singlish, Australian, and other variants. Non-native English speakers in particular have a hard time relating to the different variants.

What is really needed, is an English variant of Académie française, that could act as a global advisor for usage and spelling of the English language. It should probably be based on BBC English or Received Pronunciation.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3553 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:05 »

I know you have a Windows 8 laptop, so you just press start, type "screen resolution" and tap "change resolution" in the search results that pops up on your right. If it's a Win 8 and not 8.1, you're going to have to click on "settings" under the search pane first.

Although my laptop is technically Windows 8.1, my dad has done something to it so that it doesn't look like or act like a Windows 8 machine. Fortunately the instructions for Windows 7 seemed to work! I'm on 1024x768 apparently. I seem to have lost my tape measure in a mountain of crap on my table, so I can't measure it properly, but it's about a centimetre more than one A4 sheet when measured diagonally.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3554 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:08 »

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

Google is a thing, guys and gals!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3555 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:09 »

Depends on which war, and who you are talking to. If you are referring to the British, and WW2
He is referring to the British, but not WW2. I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Revolutionary War.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3556 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:12 »

Depends on which war, and who you are talking to.
American War of Independence, obviously.

What is really needed, is an English variant of Académie française, that could act as a global advisor for usage and spelling of the English language. It should probably be based on BBC English or Received Pronunciation.
An equivalent of the Académie Français is obviously unfeasible, because English is the language of many countries that acknowledge no common authority, and given the track-record of the Académie's inability to keep up with linguistic change, or cultural difference, I think such an institution is the last thing English needs. And the days when we feudally tugged our forelocks to the BBC are gone.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3557 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:18 »

(click to show/hide)

When I unveiled the new theme I was asked to try to make the bottom of the signature not come above the bottom of the user description on the left.  I couldn't find a way to do that (within the constraints of the available CSS idents and classes), so I made the minimum height of the central column a size that lines up with typical left-hand columns - but not MoM's, because of his long custom title (which is something only mods can add).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3558 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:21 »

Can't we just acknowledge and accept that there are several different languages which are all called English, and that there are different correct spellings of words in those languages? When I teach EFL, I alert my student to places where he has used the American spelling and tell him what the British spelling is, but I don't tell him that it's wrong. He's Korean, there is no default "correct" English for him to use, I just want consistency really and it makes sense for him to use British since that's what I'm familiar with.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #3559 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:24 »

Oh, that one. Anyone who still remembers it?  :mrgreen:
An equivalent of the Académie Français is obviously unfeasible, because English is the language of many countries that acknowledge no common authority, and given the track-record of the Académie's inability to keep up with linguistic change, or cultural difference, I think such an institution is the last thing English needs. And the days when we feudally tugged our forelocks to the BBC are gone.
Yes, but the problem still remains. Granted, Hollywood and American TV series have a huge influence on the English-speaking world, contributing to a more uniform vocabulary, but we also get all the bad slang words.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3560 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:26 »

First, it's a really bad idea, as already mentioned - and infeasible in any case.  Secondly, usage and spelling are entirely separate from pronunciation, which is what BBC English and RP are about, so there is no sense in which it could be "based" on that.

(Your local ex-BBC person and poster-boy for RP)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3561 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:43 »

Something for Valentine's Day:

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3562 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:08 »

Oh, that one. Anyone who still remembers it?  :mrgreen:
Yes, but the problem still remains. Granted, Hollywood and American TV series have a huge influence on the English-speaking world, contributing to a more uniform vocabulary, but we also get all the bad slang words.

Yes because the primary British dialect of English is free of slang.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3563 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:13 »

Once while I was a bit drunk, I wrote a script that went through Wikipedia articles about Canada and changed -our to -or and metre to meter. They didn't like that much...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3564 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:19 »

Boom

big badda-boom

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2014, 08:32 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #3565 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:04 »

Depends on which war, and who you are talking to. If you are referring to the British, and WW2, technically the British and their allies won the war against the Axis powers. Admittedly, without help from the Americans, it would have been difficult.

Technically, we won the war of 1812.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3566 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:38 »

Technically, what the hell does who won what war have to do with anything at all and can we get back to amusing cat gifs and memes I don't understand please?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3567 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:44 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3568 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:51 »

Actually we fought the British to a draw where no side had any value in contuining the war, and the last battle of the War of 1812, the Battle of New Orleans was a serious loss for the British Army.

The real "losers" in that war was the British Allied Indian Confederation and the Creek in the American South East.

BK, the "They have us surrounded, those poor bastards" line is a direct quote from Creighton Abrahms, then a Lt. Col and later a General, during his time in Europe.

Another good one to get you all motivated to assault the weekend:
"We're paratroopers, lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded." ~ CPT Dick Winters, E/506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Band of Brothers),

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3569 on: 14 Feb 2014, 10:51 »

On this day in 1884, a young Theodore Roosevelt lost his wife and his mother over the span of a few hours, leading him to leave the journal entry. Happy Valentine's Day!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3570 on: 14 Feb 2014, 11:17 »

Apparently there is a consultant urologist in the trust I work for called Burns-Cox.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #3571 on: 14 Feb 2014, 11:41 »

In a few years, 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) will become common.

...why is that 4K if it's 8 million pixel?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3572 on: 14 Feb 2014, 11:42 »

I guess because it's close-ish to 4k pixels across.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3573 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:55 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3574 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:07 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3575 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:08 »

...the stalker thought, as they lowered themselves from a helicopter onto their victim's roof.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3576 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:34 »

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

Google is a thing, guys and gals!

Says mine is 1366x768
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3577 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:34 »

I guess because it's close-ish to 4k pixels across.
Essentially.

There's several formats that fit under the "4K" umbrella:

3840x2160 (what it usually means for displays)
4096x2160 ("true" 4K)
4096x2304 ("true" 4K at a 16:9 aspect)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3578 on: 14 Feb 2014, 13:49 »

What I don't get is why people don't call 3840x2160 "2160p*". I mean, we use 720p and 1080p, why stop?

*assuming progressive scan, of course

Edit: Also if we had to find a "winner" of the War of 1812...wouldn't it be Canada?
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2014, 13:55 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3579 on: 14 Feb 2014, 14:15 »

Because everyone got confused with 1440p, so they decided to just go off the width, rather than the height.

And, technically, 1080p doesn't specify the width - 1440x1080 is just as valid as 1920x1080, for being called 1080p assuming progressive scan.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3580 on: 14 Feb 2014, 14:36 »

... can we get back to amusing cat gifs and memes I don't understand please?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3581 on: 14 Feb 2014, 21:24 »

Because everyone got confused with 1440p, so they decided to just go off the width, rather than the height.

And, technically, 1080p doesn't specify the width - 1440x1080 is just as valid as 1920x1080, for being called 1080p assuming progressive scan.
Interesting, every time I've seen #p, it's been 16:9, meaning 1440p is 2560x1440 and 2160p would be 3840x1920 (or ultra hd or whatever).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #3582 on: 15 Feb 2014, 00:32 »

Not really a war we really won but the American forces were embarrassingly trounced in one of it's landmark battles by an old woman.  2014 does, of course, mark the 200th anniversary of the British sacking Washington, nicking the Presidents dinner and torching his house.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3583 on: 15 Feb 2014, 04:07 »

A practice some Americans might consider a solid one to take up yes?

Interestingly the 8th and I Marines Corps Barracks and the Commandant's House, still in operation as a Marine Corps posting to this day, were captured, but left completely untouched by British forces, tradition says that it was a nod of respect for Marine Corps conduct under fire at the Battle of Bladensburg.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3584 on: 15 Feb 2014, 05:43 »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #3585 on: 15 Feb 2014, 06:40 »

Gotta love it.

You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3586 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:45 »

Not really a war we really won but the American forces were embarrassingly trounced in one of it's landmark battles by an old woman.  2014 does, of course, mark the 200th anniversary of the British sacking Washington, nicking the Presidents dinner and torching his house.
Of course then the British got scared off by a tornado.

Besides, we thought you'd thank us for burning Toronto for you.  :-P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3587 on: 15 Feb 2014, 11:18 »

Actually, Hey Canada? You guys want Detroit back?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3588 on: 15 Feb 2014, 11:48 »

I'm sure they would love to have the Ford Motor Company as a Canadian tax paying corporation.
James The Kugai 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3589 on: 15 Feb 2014, 11:52 »

Kugai, they already do. Most American car manufacturers primary plants are in Canada or Mexico now.

Buy American folks, buy a Hondo, Toyota or Hyundai.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3590 on: 15 Feb 2014, 11:58 »

Just to correct GM's minor mistake, it's Honda not Hondo

THIS is Hondo

THIS is Honda

James The Kugai 

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3591 on: 15 Feb 2014, 13:50 »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3592 on: 15 Feb 2014, 14:06 »

It was a hurricane, by the way.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #3593 on: 15 Feb 2014, 14:11 »

What's a hurricane if not a fat, slow tornado?

(incoming meterologist rage in 3... 2...)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3594 on: 15 Feb 2014, 14:19 »

From what I understand, most of the damage to the British troops was done by a tornado that was spun off by the hurricane.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3596 on: 15 Feb 2014, 15:09 »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)

Who is gaming? NOT YOU!

Not a valid youtube URL

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3597 on: 15 Feb 2014, 15:23 »

it’s weird how it’s socially acceptable to put someone else’s genitals in your mouth but eating a dorito off the floor after a few seconds is gross what a fuckin double standard

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3598 on: 15 Feb 2014, 15:24 »

Well I mean unless the genitals have been on the floor for more than five seconds it's not a double standard.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Binks

• Plantmonster
  • Incoming hate
« Reply #3599 on: 15 Feb 2014, 18:58 »

This shit keeps me up at night.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97   Go Up