THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 01:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Umm, what??? That's pointless...  (Read 772704 times)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Umm, what??? That's pointless...
« Reply #3651 on: 18 Feb 2014, 18:13 »

Not a valid youtube URL
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3652 on: 18 Feb 2014, 18:19 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3653 on: 18 Feb 2014, 18:30 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3654 on: 18 Feb 2014, 19:09 »

So glad the U.S. in a category we share only with our former colony and and an oppressive military junta.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #3655 on: 18 Feb 2014, 22:59 »

This is one of the best gifs I've ever seen.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #3656 on: 18 Feb 2014, 23:18 »

~Do you want to build a human~

Damn, seeing all those parodies of Frozen without knowing what they are about is annoying. I should watch that movie.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3657 on: 19 Feb 2014, 01:11 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3658 on: 19 Feb 2014, 03:55 »

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3659 on: 19 Feb 2014, 04:50 »

~Do you want to build a human~

Damn, seeing all those parodies of Frozen without knowing what they are about is annoying. I should watch that movie.

Don't just look up that clip if you have any intention of watching the movie because it's ultra-spoilery.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3660 on: 19 Feb 2014, 05:55 »

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
    2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
    3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
    6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
    12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
    2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
    2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
    5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)
  20 shillings = 1 pount

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3661 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:09 »

You missed:

4 pence = 1 groat (still used by the Queen for her Maundy money, which also includes 2 pence pieces)
21 shillings = 1 guinea (so 10/6 aka 10s 6d might be referred to as a "half-guinea"). 

The three pence coin was known to me as a "thruppenny bit", similarly the tanner was also a "sixpenny bit".  Also 20s = 1 pound (not "pount"); maybe that was just a typo, or confused with the Irish "punt".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #3662 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:14 »

Why is "d" the abbreviation for penny/pence instead of "p"?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3663 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:27 »

That's weird because you never think of those other two as having their stuff together.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3664 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:33 »

Seems needlessly complex. Like the metric system.

For those who like observing the female half of the human species, and find the female form appealing, Sports Illustrated just validated (imho) 50 years of their magazine by doing a photo shoot with Kate Upton in Zero G.
http://swimsuit.si.com/swimsuit/models/kate-upton/zero-g-photos

For people who would rather just observe animals outside our own species, with no deference to if said critters are wearing a bikini or not, check out this collection of trail cam photos!
Trigger warning: Most of the photos are just action shots of critters going by or investigating the camera, but there are some "explicit" and of course because this is nature, violent/gory photos in this collection. If Mother Nature's good at anything it's sex and violence.
http://www.thrillon.com/TrailCam/likes/slideshow

I dunno I don't think you got my good side...

That escalated quickly...

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3665 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:44 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3666 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:46 »

That we know about. JFK was into some freaky shit man.

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 06:58 by GarandMarine »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3667 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:16 »

Well, if the rumors were true, then there was a President and Vice President...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3669 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:34 »

Why is "d" the abbreviation for penny/pence instead of "p"?

Latin denarius, the coin from which the penny developed.  Although the d was used as the abbreviation for the pre-decimalisation penny, the abbreviation for the current "new" penny in use since 1971 is p.

Note also that the £ sign is an elaborate L for libra - the latin for pound, abbreviated lb when used for weight.  The old currency used to be referred to as "LSD" for "pounds, shillings and pence".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3670 on: 19 Feb 2014, 08:02 »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3671 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:02 »

youtube
  :psyduck:

Regarding this video, I don't care if A4 is more "logical", I will still cause bodily harm to the jackass who DOSed our department's printer by repeatedly telling it to print on A4 paper it doesn't have.

Admittedly, my thoughts may be a bit violent at the moment; I think I'm currently going through caffeine withdrawal...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #3672 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:07 »

Why is your printer not set to scale documents to fit if they're not the exact paper type?  I have to deal with the same issue in the opposite direction, and the setup required is trivial.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3673 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:11 »

I'm not the person who set up the printer, so I didn't know it was possible to do with that printer. It's an old HP printer (LaserJet 4100, according to the driver I have installed).

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #3674 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:28 »

And they show this to children!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3675 on: 19 Feb 2014, 13:59 »

:psyduck:
As a friend of mine says, "My car gets 16 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"

Should we switch over to metric?  Yeah, we probably should, since the rest of the world already has.  However, you just know there will be...certain groups...who will scream bloody murder about conspiracies of the Masons or the UN or the lizard people taking over the U.S.

Me personally, I can use either system easy enough, but it's easier for me to visualize Imperial measurements in my head.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3676 on: 19 Feb 2014, 14:01 »

Nope:  FFF System.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3677 on: 19 Feb 2014, 14:18 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3678 on: 19 Feb 2014, 15:23 »

Synthesising the themes of cats and obsolete measurement systems, there are sixteen taels to a catty.

Yes, I know there are only nine taels. That is because it is still a kitty, not yet a full catty.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3679 on: 19 Feb 2014, 15:32 »

I will endorse switching to that system of measurement :P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3680 on: 19 Feb 2014, 16:37 »

http://wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.com/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.UwUZkRCAq31x

Some top comments that I love the responses for:

1. She's pretty much right about the messages of the movie, although it doesn't have to apply only to gay rights... It applies to anyone who doesn't fit the mold of what their families or society expects of them.

That said, I think the message of the movie is great. In fact, while reading her point-to-point explanation of each of the movie's "gay" concepts I kept wondering why she had to think that these things she was bringing up were so negative. A lot of those paragraphs could have been read as a positive reason to support gay rights. I think if she knew any actual gay people... If she were forced to get to know them and understand why they are the way they are and whether they really are immoral or depraved, she would be forced to conclude that those messages from the movie really are good and important for society to hear.
It's so easy to act like gay people aren't actually people, as if they aren't even real, when the gay people you imagine in your mind are as cartoonish as the bloodthirsty Lamanites in the living scriptures videos. Once you realize that they are real people trying to live good happy lives, instead of trying to push their liberal agenda on all the "normal" people, it's a whole different story.

2. Can someone write one of these for The Lion King? All scar was doing was overthrowing a fascist dictator who refused to feed the hyenas, instead letting them starve. Something something.
Do The Little Mermaid next. It's clearly liberal propaganda.: defy tradition, do thee things that 'feel' good. Follow the sinful land people, even if it puts the whole kingdom at risk.
Pretty sure Tangled is all about a mom trying to keep her daughter a pure virgin, only for an evil greedy man to steal it away, even though doing so removes her sacred powers and almost kills her.
I could do this all day. When your primary agenda is to reject change under the assumption that the old ways (tradition) are already perfect and ideal, everything is your enemy. Fighting progress, literally intentionally stunting growth.

I've heard people take the approach that Elsa has a mental illness such as depression or anxiety. You can put any twist you want on it. Many people struggle with a lot of different things. Some socially accepted, some not. I feel Frozen encourages people to be themselves, to not give up on family, to be conscious of the motives of others, to set aside time for those we love, and many other lessons.. and I don't even LIKE the movie. So while I feel your opinion on the motive behind the movie is quite the stretch, at least you are pondering what YOU gained from it.

I think my family saw a totally different version of "Frozen" than you did.
But people see what they want to see.....

I, for one, was happy to see a lead female Disney character get saved by the love and sacrifice of her sister instead of being rescued by the handsome prince. I was happy to hear common sense in Elsa's "you can't marry someone you just met". I was thrilled to see stronger female characters.

Being hidden away isn't a new idea. Wasn't Sleeping Beauty hidden away with her fairy godmothers so that she wouldn't be found? Are you going to find issue with a young woman being guarded by three fairies, too?

And please. The story is an adaptation from Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen", which they had to take liberties with, as parts of the viewing public would obviously take issue with Gerda saying the Lord's Prayer to stop the snowflakes protecting the palace so that she could enter.

*sigh* Call it what you will. We aren't going to read anything into the story more than what is there. I think my kids are safe.

My one comment: If you have a problem with anti-obediance messages or themes that encourage people to think and live for themselves, you need to take a minute and look yourself in the mirrior I think.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3681 on: 19 Feb 2014, 19:07 »

As a friend of mine says, "My car gets 16 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"
Your friend is Abe Simpson, and it's 40 rods to the hogshead (which is about 10.5 feet per gallon or 84 centimetres per litre).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3682 on: 19 Feb 2014, 20:40 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3683 on: 19 Feb 2014, 20:42 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3684 on: 19 Feb 2014, 20:47 »

Love conquers all...even humanity.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3685 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:52 »

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMON, russian riot police in front of a mirror.)
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3686 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:21 »

One is considered a pest in most cities, the other is a pigeon

Also a new meme: http://imgur.com/gallery/9uDqe

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3687 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:47 »

My Art.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3688 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:44 »

My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3689 on: 20 Feb 2014, 11:46 »

Holy fuck I love that shirt! And Terry Pratchett!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3690 on: 20 Feb 2014, 20:10 »

Oh... oh my.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3691 on: 20 Feb 2014, 21:03 »

I want a stoat in my life now. Holy crap it's so freaking cute. Redwall taught me stoats are evil little bastards, but who could hate that adorable face?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3692 on: 20 Feb 2014, 21:40 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3693 on: 21 Feb 2014, 02:08 »

My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3694 on: 21 Feb 2014, 04:34 »

and the top meme's wrong any way. First Disney movie to do that would be Mulan:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3695 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:09 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3696 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:58 »

I need to set this up on my computer. Okay, I need to reinstall Linux, then set it up on my computer.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3697 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:08 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3698 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:24 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3699 on: 21 Feb 2014, 11:42 »

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2014, 14:41 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 97   Go Up