THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 17:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B  (Read 70175 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B
« Reply #1450 on: 12 Apr 2011, 15:01 »

I like greem :-(
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #1451 on: 12 Apr 2011, 15:23 »

Here are better photos of the shoes I got.

BONUS! My mommy also bought me these! :D

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2011, 20:20 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1452 on: 16 Apr 2011, 07:51 »

So, what are people's thoughts on  cardigan's with elbow patches? Cos I totally just got one online.

Lupercal

« Reply #1453 on: 16 Apr 2011, 07:58 »

I thought that might be the general reaction. I've had hangups about cardigans, so this will be my debut as it were. Usually I associate cardigans with total asshats, but I'll wear it with a shirt, nice brogues, sharp. Not with a polo shirt done up to the collar and skinny jeans...

Lupercal

« Reply #1454 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:07 »

A lot of people like a lot of things - my build isn't one that generally accomodates cardigans. Have trouble enough with t-shirts, as i'm broad shouldered but a medium is way too baggy.

Any UK people, Samuel Windsor does some tidy shoes and boots - getting me some Cheltenham Half Brogues.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1455 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:57 »

I love cardigans.

:(
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1456 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:57 »

So, what are people's thoughts on  cardigan's with elbow patches? Cos I totally just got one online.

That... that sounds bad. Link?

I'm otherwise pro-cardigan though. Even WITH polos+skinnies  :psyduck:
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #1457 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:30 »

Yeah, no, I agree with Dovey on this one.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1458 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:46 »

I need ideas for a work wardrobe for the boyfriend. He looks like this:

Only his hair is a tad bit darker blonde now.

He usually wears jeans and a t-shirt or gothy club wear. And now he works in a hotel as an assistant manager, and needs fancy corporate-type stuff. He has a few pieces but we really need to build him a whole wardrobe so he's not wearing the same things every week. I'm posting a pic because I feel like he can't do any yellow or tan because it would wash him out. Am I right on that?

I'm pretty good with women's wear but men's wear is so damn boring.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Metope

« Reply #1459 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:58 »

Yep, no yellow and tan is a good starting point. Also, try to avoid bright white as well, it's too harsh for fair skinned people. He'll need white shirts most likely, so go for more cream whites and off-white. Oh, and no pale greys either!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1460 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:14 »

Incorrect! Men's wear is crazy fascinating, but the point is that everything lies in the small details.

You're right about yellow or tan. I'd generally keep him to neutrals and more muted or darker tones of red, blue, green and purple. Because he has pale skin, light hair and blue eyes (low contrast), you want to keep contrast in the colours of his clothing to a minimum as well, and the easiest way to do that is for the major components of the outfit to be neutral tones and matching accessories pretty closely. This is also an advantage to people just starting out with having to wear business wear, because if you have suits and shirts that are the more standard business-wear tropes then you can get away with re-wearing them within a shorter period of time, once again provided you change it up with the tie/pocket square.

There's plenty of awesome guides on building a businessman's wardrobe out there, I'd recommend this one: http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/category/mens-style-basics/ Start there and branch out across the more advanced articles on the site. For other readers playing at home, this is Antonio Centeno's newish site. Antonio is the guy who runs atailoredsuit.com and ATS' legendary style guide, which was previously my go-to for basic menswear education.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1461 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:25 »

He seems like one of those guys who would look good in that classy turtleneck/blazer combo.  Dovey is pretty much spot-on here, though.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1462 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:27 »

classy turtleneck/blazer combo

woah there cowboy

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1463 on: 16 Apr 2011, 14:15 »

AHEM.

I think it can look pretty smashing on the right people, so take your sass elsewhere, man.

Metope

« Reply #1464 on: 16 Apr 2011, 14:24 »

Imagine how great he'd look with a nice, white shirt and a tie instead of an ugly turtleneck.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1465 on: 16 Apr 2011, 16:14 »

Yeah, this is like that time a long time ago when someone tried to say that short sleeve button-up shirts were ok, and to prove it posted all these attractive men wearing them. Still looking good, but the clothes aren't helping.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1466 on: 16 Apr 2011, 16:33 »

blazer/turtleneck says you probably have a yacht and the word "opal" is in its name
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1467 on: 16 Apr 2011, 17:55 »

I find turtlenecks to be universally awful. Thankfully he agrees. Otherwise, thanks for the tips, guys! He mostly has black and dark grey stuff right now but I really want him to branch out in terms of color, and this will help a lot.

I guess I feel like men's wear is pretty boring because it's almost always the same shape. He can really only wear one type of pant (flat front, slim fit, straight leg), one type of shirt (though I guess the collars can be slightly different?) and similar shoes (he doesn't like the extended toe-box look so round or squared toes are about it). The only things you can change drastically are colors, though that can be pretty fun. Women can drastically change their silhouette every day if they feel like it, and can wear so many different types of shoes, even just within business-wear.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1468 on: 16 Apr 2011, 19:35 »

AHEM.

I think it can look pretty smashing on the right people, so take your sass elsewhere, man.

That's because it's Steve McQueen. Most people are not Steve McQueen. If only...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1469 on: 16 Apr 2011, 21:54 »

I think it works really well on a lot of people, guys.  Definitely not most, as has been pointed out, but I think there are a lot of dudes who can pull it off.  It's sort of like the cardigans we've been talking about.  You'll look like sort of a douche, but if you can work it, it's still a nice choice.  Don't get me wrong, everyone looks good in a button-down with a tie, and a huge majority look better with that rather than the turtleneck, but you guys are shitting on it like its one of those poncho things women used to wear to look like they just walked out of a flea market.  I mean shit.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1470 on: 16 Apr 2011, 22:18 »

You won't look like you've just stepped out of a flea market but you will likely look like you stepped out of Lambda Lambda Lambda's freshman mixer. I mean, heck, forget about turtle-neck instead of shirt+tie, what's wrong with a v-neck sweater?

Incidentally, pedantic asshole pet-peeve time: Button-down is not the term for a shirt with buttons on the front, button-down refers to the type of collar that buttons down (incidentally, that type of shirt+collar would also be the correct answer for the blazer+jeans combo. Ditch the tie, this is casual-wear). The word you're looking for is "dress shirt" or "business shirt" or hell, just "shirt" why not.

(sorry if that's overly dickish but your post just reminded me of the thing, I'm not trying to chew you out specifically)

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #1471 on: 16 Apr 2011, 22:31 »

I mean Dovey, that's just what people have called it for my entire life.  It's sort of like pop or coke; the word is actually soft drink, but who gives that much of a shit? 

(it's not overly dickish, just pedantic.  also, a v-neck would look wonderful as well.)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1472 on: 16 Apr 2011, 22:35 »

but who gives that much of a shit?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

don't take this from me, this is all i have

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1473 on: 17 Apr 2011, 00:11 »

So I posted about some boots I was getting a few pages back (these: http://www.solestruck.com/jeffrey-campbell-all-strap-t-black-leather/index.html) and they arrived the other week. The zippers were broken and a couple of the eyelets popped off, so I emailed customer service about it.

They came to the conclusion that I had received a faulty pair and given that it would cost me $80AU in shipping to return them, they have told me to keep the boots and they will refund me the full amount. They apologised profusely and suggested I take them to a cobbler and see what they can do.

Basically, I just scored a $300 pair of boots for the cost of fixing two dodgy zippers. Going to take them to a cobbler first thing in the morning and see what they can do. Should be a pretty easy fix. I am just so overwhelmed by their customer service that the disappointment about not being able to wear the boots straight away has disappeared. Yay for lovely internet vendors.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1474 on: 17 Apr 2011, 06:02 »

The dark red boots I bought a few pages back and then said they didn't fit even after I had them stretched by a cobbler?
I tried them on yesterday for shits and giggles and they fit fine. I guess I just have to put them on first thing in the morning instead of after a long day running around.

I also bought a coat on Etsy today, hooray!

Oh also I bought some grey/blue/charcoal/dunno suede heels to replace my dying black faux snakeskin flats. They are totally adorable.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 19:39 by Lunchbox »

Lupercal

« Reply #1475 on: 17 Apr 2011, 10:12 »

but who gives that much of a shit?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

don't take this from me, this is all i have

Yeah if somebody said "hey, come try on some nice button downs with me" I'd think about 2000 other things than "nice shirt". Its a shirt. But then I'm English, from the land where things are named properly.

Turtlenecks are pretty hilarious - for my Science Fiction class at University last year one of my lecturers was always wearing a sky blue turtleneck with a grey suit - and he wore that same outfit every single week. I liked to think he opened his wardrobe in the morning and just had like, 7 of the same thing there. Har har.

Personally if the weather gets too hot I just roll up the old sleeves. Still looks better than a short sleeve shirt. If I want something collared I'll get a polo shirt, you can still look classy in the heat. But that's just me. A few years ago I said I wouldn't ever buy anything that was skinny, and I'm typing this in brown "slim fit" trousers I got a while ago. They're not skinny like did-you-fucking-paint-your-clothes-on but just nice and fitted. Now regular jeans feel weird. I have become what I swore to destroy...

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #1476 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:35 »

In the summer, depending on the heat, I may even occasionally roll my sleeves up to like, mid-bicep, but I'd never wear a short sleeve collared shirt.

I totally agree on the pants thing. Maybe I'm a fop or a douchey hipster, but now that I've been wearing skinny jeans for a while I don't like the feel of any other kind of pants. Even my trousers are skinny.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1477 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:51 »

I really like the 60s throwback, Beatles-esque suit that is coming back into style. I don't know what to call it, but it's also got the slim cut on the trousers and I think those suits look super awesome.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #1478 on: 17 Apr 2011, 22:02 »

De_El, I'm the same with pants. I used to be really into boot cut and baggy jeans and then I made the switch to skinnies. I love them. I wear them with heels, boots, flats and cons and they just never look bad. I love them and have a hard time wearing anything baggy pantswise anymore.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1479 on: 18 Apr 2011, 00:34 »

Short sleeve button-downs are great for looking like quintessential nerds or like 30s or 40s accountants.

My granddad wears them. He opened his own accounting firm in the 40s after the war. I think it suits him.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1481 on: 18 Apr 2011, 04:38 »

Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #1482 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:00 »

gaah
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #1483 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:33 »

Where I live, it snowed on Friday.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1484 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:40 »

Where I live, it snowed last week. Then yesterday it all melted. This morning it snowed again.

I hate life.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1485 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:11 »

Yesterday was sunny, warm, and windy. Today is mostly sunny, warm, and windy.

It's been windy for the past 3 weeks. It has never been this windy for this long in my living memory. /nice weather problems

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1486 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:16 »

It was windy as hell yesterday. And then I went to the inner harbor and it was even worse. There was no point in doing my hair as it just got messed up the second I walked outside.

I loved the temp though, I didn't even need a hoodie most of the day.

Lupercal

« Reply #1487 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:36 »

Huzzah for nice weather in this country for a change. And yet, so so so much of my time is being spent indoors due to having to revise and wildly procrastinate on the internet.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1488 on: 20 Apr 2011, 05:23 »

I'm glad its getting colder here now. I have some nice jackets I can bust out.

Some times I wish I had clothes that weren't just jeans and tshirts but I mostly look weird in suits or other guys fashion.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1489 on: 20 Apr 2011, 08:00 »

ditto except replace "looks weird in suits" with "has never had any money, ever"
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1490 on: 20 Apr 2011, 08:12 »

Those two above me.

Though the gubmint's sending me back $640 for taxes..maybe I should buy some actual rad clothes instead of a new United shirt and guitar pedals?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1491 on: 20 Apr 2011, 08:24 »

I do need more (and more expensive) fuzz in my life.

You make a good point, sir.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #1492 on: 20 Apr 2011, 10:00 »

You have spent entirely too much money on guitars already. Nice clothes can help you in many many areas of life and you should invest some in them.

PS United sucks balllllllllsssssssssss
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1493 on: 20 Apr 2011, 10:17 »

Emilio you do not get it.

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a disease. A horrible, oh-that-sounds-cooler-than-what-I-already-have disease.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1494 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:29 »

Yeah but clothes are cool, too.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1495 on: 20 Apr 2011, 11:42 »

Clothes are a little more important than guitars simply for the fact that if you are caught outside without any clothes, you will probably be arrested. (Except for in places/situations where it is common practice.) I have not yet been arrested for being outside without a guitar. So.

Lupercal

« Reply #1496 on: 20 Apr 2011, 15:17 »

Except, excuse the 15 year old mentality here, guitars make you look cool. Nobody gave a shit what Cobain wore and then BAM give me charity shop clothes and terrible, non contoured guitars.

But I digress.

Clothes always seem like almost a waste of money, but there is nothing better than thinking (and knowing, to a point) "damn, I look good".

I'd say don't be afraid to spend some money on clothes - you go to the right place they'll fit you well, look good, and last for a while. Isn't always the case but the few times I go somewhere a little more pricey than say, H&M I find stuff fits, feels and looks that bit better.

Default answer: Buy some brogues, buy them right now.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1497 on: 20 Apr 2011, 16:09 »

Guitars make you look cool if you can play them. I cannot play guitar therefore I would look like a douche carrying one around.

Yes to brogues. Brogues for everyone!

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1498 on: 20 Apr 2011, 17:04 »

yeah well i got $2000 back in my tax return and i put it all toward paying off my credit card bill and line of credit because i am responsible and boring and unfashionable.

:(

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1499 on: 20 Apr 2011, 17:09 »

actually that's a lie, i put a few bucks toward some ugly sunglasses.

i bought like a million cheap pairs in chicago and every single one of them broke or were lost during my move. literally every single other thing i brought with me was perfectly intact. apparently my boxes were just really not sunglasses safe at all and i guess i didn't read the disclaimer or something. oh well. no eye cancer for me this summer!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Up