THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 Jun 2024, 22:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 93   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is non-euclidean, for it has no point  (Read 589447 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: This thread is non-euclidean, for it has no point
« Reply #3050 on: 30 Nov 2014, 14:05 »

Ha, it's a fake label saying an animal is best before death not to eat, but it's just better alive. They want the killed on date to remind people it was a living animal once. I mean...I get it, but it backfires because a killed on date would also be useful for practical reasons.

What I would really like is to get a label telling me the name and location of the farm, what kind of stock the animal came from, what terrain it was raised in, the population density in housing, feed types and feeding regimen, slaughtering process, slaughter date, hanging time, storage methods, and jointing date.
This reminds me of a Portlandia sketch where a couple goes to a restaurant that shows them details about the chicken they're going to eat, including, if I recall, his name and hobbies.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #3051 on: 30 Nov 2014, 14:10 »

Yeah. Also that kind of labeling will never happen, since only a minority of farms and slaughterhouses operate ethically sound. Nooo way factory farms would ever let people know how their animals are treated.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3053 on: 30 Nov 2014, 16:42 »

I'd just like to know the animal's name before I eat it.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3055 on: 30 Nov 2014, 17:14 »

I never understand why people rag on hunters. It's about as ethical as you can get for sourcing meat. Conservation friendly too!

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3056 on: 30 Nov 2014, 17:18 »

I never understand why people rag on hunters. It's about as ethical as you can get for sourcing meat. Conservation friendly too!

Except the poaching, of course. But yeah, fuck deer. So hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3057 on: 30 Nov 2014, 17:55 »

Also, while I like the idea of a kill date on it, the vast majority of meat eaters know little about the meat preparation process through the slaughterhouse and onward. What I would really like is to get a label telling me the name and location of the farm, what kind of stock the animal came from, what terrain it was raised in, the population density in housing, feed types and feeding regimen, slaughtering process, slaughter date, hanging time, storage methods, and jointing date.

Whole Foods does that (at least the one on Madison's West Side does)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3058 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:00 »

This reminds me of a Portlandia sketch where a couple goes to a restaurant that shows them details about the chicken they're going to eat, including, if I recall, his name and hobbies.
I thought that was kind of ripping off a small scene from Douglas Adams's Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #3059 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:20 »

white tail deer used to be near-endangered in the Eastern US.
not anymore.
now days, they're borderline nuisance animals.
it is because they've gotten so populous, that the Wasting Disease has killed so many.
and even with a 20% die off, they're so many that several states are looking at
increasing the bag limits for hunting.
The 'resurgence' of the American Chestnut tree was nipped in the bud by the deer population explosion of the 70s.

Yeah. fuck deer.  I just wished I could've afforded a hunting license this year.  :(
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3060 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:27 »

Slightly relevant, this talk just reminded me of this comic

http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/st-matthew-island/

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #3061 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:47 »

with the St. Matthew island situation, that was a HUGE natural resource wastage.
by my reckoning, starting in 1960, if 1500-1700 animals per year had been harvested, there would still be a healthy herd  on the island today.
Given that the North American Caribou/Reindeer average nearly 200kg, that is a mind boggling waste.

it's like having a cattle herd and not tending to it.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3062 on: 30 Nov 2014, 18:56 »

I'd just like to know the animal's name before I eat it.
His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #3063 on: 30 Nov 2014, 19:57 »

First rule of Dairy Queen, you do not talk about Dairy Queen.

Second Rule of Dairy Queen, YOU DO NOT. TALK. ABOUT DAIRY QUEEN!
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3064 on: 30 Nov 2014, 23:01 »

Don't wanna do hard drugs but feel like confusing yourself and hurting whatever approximates your soul? Want to simulate a rave without a hangover but with slightly better music? Watch this. Warning NSF Work, Children, Sane people and people with heart conditions.

http://animatorexpo.com/mememe/
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3065 on: 30 Nov 2014, 23:12 »

My brain got confused. Also, I bonered and anti-bonered so many times watching that that I believe my wiener is also confused. I need to go lay down.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3066 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:02 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3067 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:07 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s

The 'cunt faggot nigger' bit of this sounds reeeeeally off out of context.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3068 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:18 »

Putting a "killed on" date on food packaging says nothing about how the animals are treated. I think it is a fantasy that people somehow don't know that animals are killed for food. Sure they prefer to distance themselves from it, in the same way that they prefer to distance themselves from violence against humans by hiring cops and soldiers to do the skull-cracking and life-taking for them. But that does not mean that they do not know; it is just gift wrapping on not actually caring. Wrapping yourself in a white sheet because you only buy free-range is essentially a displacement activity, ignoring the roughly 80% of humanity that lives on less than US$10 per day now, but quite understandably aspires to eating diets as rich in protein as yours. Take a look at this map, and imagine everyone in Africa, China, and India eating as much meat as you...

Forum regulars know that I do not eat meat, and I do not believe there is a "right" way to raise and slaughter animals for the table. For obvious reasons, I'm not exactly a fan of hunting. I think there are more efficient and humane ways than hunting of controlling non-human animal populations in the grotesquely unbalanced ecosystems that we have created (and then we blame the deer!!!). I have a modest proposal for ethical hunting: The hunters should be licensed to hunt each other, and the mutual consent would remove the ethical problem. If they choose to eat their kills, so be it. Bon appétit!
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2014, 01:36 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3069 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:21 »

My (now ex) girlfriend took the attitude that she only ate the meat of animals she thought she could kill with her bare hands in the wild. A weirdly logical approach, I thought. So largely prawns, fish. Smaller things.

Metope

« Reply #3070 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:35 »

Fish and prawns are tricky, and probably the worst things you can eat if you want to save the environment, since in our part of the world the stuff you get in stores are mostly fished with trawls, which wrecks the ocean bottom and is extremely wasteful since they fish a LOT in one go and throw out everything they don't need (which is most of it). In theory it might work, in reality it's not the best approach.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #3071 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:42 »

My sister has killed a chicken because of the same reasoning, Gareth. She says she only thought it was weird because the chicken ran away midway through cutting its head off.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3072 on: 01 Dec 2014, 01:49 »

Fish and prawns are tricky, and probably the worst things you can eat if you want to save the environment, since in our part of the world the stuff you get in stores are mostly fished with trawls, which wrecks the ocean bottom and is extremely wasteful since they fish a LOT in one go and throw out everything they don't need (which is most of it). In theory it might work, in reality it's notably the best approach.

Her concerns were not environmental anyway.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3073 on: 01 Dec 2014, 02:53 »

I have a problem with hunters who don't use as much of the animal as possible, or kill in an inhumane manner.  But if a hunter takes out Bambi or Daffy or Bugs with one shot, and makes as much use of the carcass as possible, I respect that.  I do have an uncle who hunts occasionally (he used to more frequently), who believes that no one should be allowed to eat meat as an adult if they haven't at least once killed it theirselves.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3074 on: 01 Dec 2014, 05:02 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3075 on: 01 Dec 2014, 05:15 »

Also, while I like the idea of a kill date on it, the vast majority of meat eaters know little about the meat preparation process through the slaughterhouse and onward. What I would really like is to get a label telling me the name and location of the farm, what kind of stock the animal came from, what terrain it was raised in, the population density in housing, feed types and feeding regimen, slaughtering process, slaughter date, hanging time, storage methods, and jointing date.

Most of the time, we know exactly where our meat and veggies come from.  Sure, some stuff comes from a supermarket, that's inevitable.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3076 on: 01 Dec 2014, 06:12 »

Yes, it is us fixing problems we created, but deer overpopulation can be a major ecological problem.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3077 on: 01 Dec 2014, 06:22 »

I guess I shouldn't eat as much meat as I do because of the slew of environmental degradation it causes (especially the fish and beef industry). It's definitely one of the things I let myself be a complete hypocrite about. I do always try to finish my food at least. Higher trophic levels first of course, just in case I don't finish.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #3078 on: 01 Dec 2014, 06:28 »

I have no problem with people hunting at all- go for it! It's a great way to feed your family for cheap (and I know of some people that just want an excuse to shoot things...at least it's productive to do it that way).

My problem is the fact that my Facebook feed turns into a bloodbath on the first day of hunting season. You can almost hear every post yelling "Look what I did!". It tapers off after that to just a few dead animals a week but the first day is sickening.

I understand that the meat I eat comes from animals- that doesn't mean I want to watch the entire process, regardless of how "humane" it is.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3079 on: 01 Dec 2014, 06:45 »

My only problem with hunting are the 'sport hunters' The ones who do it just to kill something and then brag about it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3080 on: 01 Dec 2014, 08:35 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #3081 on: 01 Dec 2014, 08:41 »

Whut

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3082 on: 01 Dec 2014, 08:43 »

I have to admit that when I read "pikachu to roll over on his side and..." I was somewhat horrified at what I expected to come next.  :psyduck:

« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2014, 09:17 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3083 on: 01 Dec 2014, 13:08 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3084 on: 01 Dec 2014, 14:19 »

So Sherlock 3x01 is airing right now on Spanish TV, and some in-series Sherlock fan had the theory that Sherlock faked his death because he was going to run away with Moriarty.

I DIDN'T KNOW HOW MUCH I SHIPPED THAT UNTIL RIGHT NOW.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3085 on: 01 Dec 2014, 22:23 »

You wanted Sherlock to leave Watson for Moriarty? You monster! :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3086 on: 02 Dec 2014, 01:29 »

BUT THEY'RE A PERFECT FIT!!!!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3087 on: 02 Dec 2014, 04:05 »

so i was in the shipyard area in paris and i saw this boat off in the distance by itself

so i swam up to it

and what i found was a man shaking and muttering to himself, a dead body, and 20 cats

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3088 on: 02 Dec 2014, 06:48 »

BUT THEY'RE A PERFECT FIT!!!!
... TMI much?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3089 on: 02 Dec 2014, 07:02 »

Those who rag on hunters typically don't realize that hunters are among the largest contributors to conservation efforts.  Where do you think the money for game licenses and whatnot goes?

And yes, I eat what I kill.  I hunt because one, I like the taste of the meat better ("gamey" is called flavor, people, something that beef and pork lacks).  Two, I know exactly where my meat came from and how it was processed.  Three, I'm not contributing to the pollution generated by factory farms.  And four, the meat isn't loaded with hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals.  Just some of the reasons why I take my own meat.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #3090 on: 02 Dec 2014, 08:07 »

Those who rag on hunters typically don't realize that hunters are among the largest contributors to conservation efforts.  Where do you think the money for game licenses and whatnot goes?

And yes, I eat what I kill.  I hunt because one, I like the taste of the meat better ("gamey" is called flavor, people, something that beef and pork lacks).  Two, I know exactly where my meat came from and how it was processed.  Three, I'm not contributing to the pollution generated by factory farms.  And four, the meat isn't loaded with hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals.  Just some of the reasons why I take my own meat.

I have no problem with hunters (just don't get me started on killing for sport). Minor quibble: beef, chicken, and pork don't lack flavor if they're raised properly. It's just the industrial crap that's tasteless and largely interchangeable.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #3091 on: 02 Dec 2014, 10:31 »

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3092 on: 02 Dec 2014, 13:18 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3093 on: 02 Dec 2014, 14:30 »

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3094 on: 02 Dec 2014, 14:38 »

"When Dale first saw Marigold".

New headcanon.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #3095 on: 03 Dec 2014, 00:54 »

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3096 on: 03 Dec 2014, 01:01 »

Urge... to praise... nigh-overwhelming... Must... not... break... into... gospel choir...

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3097 on: 03 Dec 2014, 01:13 »

Reminds me of this one (cause... ships... shut up)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3098 on: 03 Dec 2014, 01:36 »

Yeah, old joke/Urban Legend, but still amusing as hell, for the major power to be taken down a notch.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3099 on: 03 Dec 2014, 01:40 »

Ya, they're both pretty old, but still funny.

I just didn't have any other nautical jokes.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 93   Go Up