THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Jun 2024, 02:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our Moment of the Week?

Better than the maid outfit, but still not "pants".
- 0 (0%)
She just got out of robot jail, and that's the best he can say?
- 2 (4.4%)
You just SHOWED UP! And I'm KIND OF in the middle of something!
- 0 (0%)
Managed to seal the deal, huh? Nice. Fist bump. I got fists now. Bump 'em.
- 3 (6.7%)
Got a real physical body and everything! So, can I crash here?
- 0 (0%)
L-look, they got a halfway house, but it's like a ####in' broom closet.
- 0 (0%)
Find a job, not break any rules, see probation officer... Just gimme a chance. Please.
- 0 (0%)
You pay rent. You help clean. And if you do or say ANYTHING to hurt Marigold -
- 3 (6.7%)
Creating Nice_List.txt. Entering "Marigold." Saving and closing.
- 8 (17.8%)
Y-you can't let here stay HERE! (Stomp Stomp Stomp SLAM)
- 0 (0%)
Dammit May... I'll talk to her, I'll talk to her.
- 0 (0%)
IF YOU MAKE THIS ANY WORSE -
- 0 (0%)
NICE LIST DOT TEE EX TEE, ASSPLOW
- 12 (26.7%)
Look, if you're worried I'm gonna steal Dale from you, I promise that ain't gonna happen. Ugh.
- 0 (0%)
Why should I trust you?
- 0 (0%)
I'm the one who got him to talk to you that night you were freakin' out on him at your place.
- 0 (0%)
If it wasn't for me, you two would still be pretend-hating each other.
- 0 (0%)
I AM THE REASON YOU TWO ARE CURRENTLY BONING. (Okay! Okay!)
- 17 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2711-2715 (26 - 30 May 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 58186 times)

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

"Assplow" is my new favorite insult.

Ben

• Larger than most fish

I think that they'd almost have to give her a chassis upon the completion of her sentence.  If she just had to wait on a server to be downloaded, that would effectively be an indefinate continuation of her prison time.

Why so? It seems to be a fairly normal way that AIs function. It's clear that AIs and their chassis are separate entities; Momo-tan gets a completely different one but she is still "Momo", Pintsize has had at least two. It doesn't seem to cause any major issue that Momo's chassis is owned by Marigold, and presumably Marigold is free to dispose of that chassis as she sees fit if she, or Momo cancel the companionship contract.

Being parked on a server, unemployed and without a chassis doesn't sound like a great deal but if May's actions have put her in that position, tough. She is free to take any employment offered, along with any other AI on the sever; free to associate to whatever extent AIs in that state do do. She isn't in jail.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I wrote a thing... I have no idea where it came from.  :psyduck:
(click to show/hide)
DAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

I gotta say I'm confused by Dale's reaction. Marigold's is also kinda weird, but we didn't see if/what Dale told her about May. But yeah, when May left they were on good terms, so I don't get the hard pushback.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I'm not sure it induces claustrophobia, rather that being physically embodied in space, and then having that space restricted, does.
(Also, keep in mind this person wanted to be a very fast airplane.)

... and I just realized I typed 'person' there without thinking about it. :)
Well yes, of course. Well done though.

For a short period, when the hormonal chaos was at its height, my levels were outside human norms. Outside human bounds, 5-6 SDs away.
It was seriously discussed whether I qualified as H.Sap. or not. It was quickly decided on balance that I did, but it was a reasonable question to ask at the time. Certainly I felt so, I saw the numbers. They were not consistent with human life.

My personhood was never doubted. Just my species. Not for long, though.

As it turned out, H.Sap with 3beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency could account for it. Possibly other mutations too.

Anywayz.... in QC I have no problem seeing Momo, May, Station, Pintsize and Gordon as people. Weird people perhaps, especially Pintsize, but people. Actually not a lot weirder than many more conventional people I know, and certainly not weirder than me.

Sounds as of you're the same, the only difference being you didn't realise it. That makes you a pretty good human being in my book.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I gotta say I'm confused by Dale's reaction. Marigold's is also kinda weird, but we didn't see if/what Dale told her about May. But yeah, when May left they were on good terms, so I don't get the hard pushback.
I do. I'm sure Dale's not real thrilled at sharing Marigold with Momo.

The obvious solution is to blend families - Dale and Marigold in one apartment, Momo and May in another. Or in adjoining sections of the same house.
Of course both Momo and May might take a bit of persuading... though I think they might be good for each other. I doubt either of them think so though.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website

I'm hoping this isn't another "Marigold doesn't know how to human," mini-arc.  :psyduck:

May and Dale go on an adventure or something? Or Steve adopts May and becomes Dale's best friend to somehow con himself into more screen time.  :mrgreen:

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

I have friends I'm on very good terms with... doesn't mean I'm willing to let them move in when they randomly show up one day.
This is the second time that May has forcefully entered Dale's life. Good terms or not, he's not required to be a doormat for her.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

May was a general pain in Dale's neck while she was with him in the glasses the first time, as such I'm sure part of the good parting terms was that he was happy to see her go. Now that she's back, he's...not so happy. I don't blame Marigold either for being less than thrilled about this person she may have never met, or been told less than complimentary things about, suddenly imposing herself in their lives.

No Marigold doesn't live with Dale, but he does not seem to have any roommates either. So his place is where they can have totally private alone time - unless May moves in. Is it any wonder Marigold has a mini-freak out?
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Why so? It seems to be a fairly normal way that AIs function. It's clear that AIs and their chassis are separate entities; Momo-tan gets a completely different one but she is still "Momo",

But no longer -tan. The change of body has changed how people see her, including herself. She is not considered a child anymore, by others or by herself.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

The design of an AI's chassis does influence how people treat them. Momo is pretty much treated like any other person, while Pintsize and others with his similar body type are treated with less physical respect. It's a conditioned response, I would guess. But one that a lot of AIs don't seem to pressed to protest. Or maybe it's like racism 60 years ago. That it's so widespread and accepted that even if you don't like it, you are to afraid to speak out against it.

With the smaller, less human AnthroPCs, people seem to have no problem touching them without asking first, even committing acts of violence against them. Though in fairness, when it comes to Pintsize, it's usually because of something he's said or done. Most of them don't seem to bother with clothing either. Momo did in her old chassis, but I think that was more like a doll's dress, since she always seemed to be wearing the same one. Once she got her new chassis, she bought her own clothing, as was treated it seems more like one of the gang, rather than 'Marigold's AnthroPC'.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Yeah, but remember, Momo might have been covering an opening that could shoot live eels. Modesty? Camouflage?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Jeph said in a Q&A once that Momo is the legal owner of her own chassis. You could probably find the link via the wiki. Fascinating questions come up about whether Marigold could repossess it for non-payment.

Occam's Razor on May's body: what if she stole it?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

re: Marigold

well fuck you too, Marigold
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

The chassis may be being lent to her as a condition of her parole (which would mean that if she breached parole, she would be guilty of theft as well as absconding).
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 12:15 by TinPenguin »

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Even though I was avidly defending Dale yesterday and saying that it was not at all par for the course for him to let May stay at his apartment (and I still think it isn't), Marigold's reaction seems (once again) totally exaggerated. I have the feeling that ever since her interactions with Dale became more frequent, Jeph likes to have Marigold flip out in unnatural ways - see also the scene in the restaurant, see Marigold flipping out on Momo... All of those seem staged and unnatural to me. For me, all of these make Marigold a lot less lifelike than the other characters. 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

In Marigold's defense, you have to think about what she knows about the situation. She doesn't know anything about how May helped Dale and Marigold get together. All Marigold knows is that May just got out of jail, apparently knows Dale from somewhere, and is a jerk (Dale had to tell her not to be a jerk to Marigold).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

I have friends I'm on very good terms with... doesn't mean I'm willing to let them move in when they randomly show up one day.
This is the second time that May has forcefully entered Dale's life. Good terms or not, he's not required to be a doormat for her.

May was a general pain in Dale's neck while she was with him in the glasses the first time, as such I'm sure part of the good parting terms was that he was happy to see her go. Now that she's back, he's...not so happy. I don't blame Marigold either for being less than thrilled about this person she may have never met, or been told less than complimentary things about, suddenly imposing herself in their lives.

No Marigold doesn't live with Dale, but he does not seem to have any roommates either. So his place is where they can have totally private alone time - unless May moves in. Is it any wonder Marigold has a mini-freak out?

The moving in part actually makes a lot of sense to me, it's a pretty big request to ask of Dale, and it makes sense for him to be reluctant, especially given that it's the only place he and Marigold can be alone (hadn't thought of that). I guess I'm just a little surprised at his general attitude towards her, because I feel like the net effect of May on Dale's life was quite positive and they parted on a good note, despite her initial lies and how abrasive she is. I should probably just chalk it up to Dale and Marigold being interrupted and Dale taking May's arrival as a sign of disruption to his life.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 14:08 by CaptainFish »

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

From all we know of Marigold, her reaction is to be expected. She's got a guy, and she's feeling threatened. How could she not feel that way?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, but he's been generally shitty to her since before he knew she wanted to move in. And then blames her for Marigold's shittiness.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

From all we know of Marigold, her reaction is to be expected. She's got a guy, and she's feeling threatened. How could she not feel that way?
What does being a guy or not have to do with it? That really confuses me. I'm not a guy and her reaction looks unnatural to me - at least as a reaction to the 1 minute of May she has probably at most seen. Most people I know would maybe have been upset and probably demanded some kind of justification, but not just stomped off without waiting for one. Mind you, I am not criticising Marigold for her behaviour, I am criticising Jeph for in my eyes writing Marigold in a not very believable way in this strip (not in general).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She has problems sharing space at all. From her very first introduction, remember how unhappy she was about having visitors.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

the net effect of May on Dale's life was quite positive

Even if Dale can acknowledge this intellectually, he may not want to undergo any further "positive net effect" from her  :-)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I think Marigold's reaction can be explained by some kind of panic attack. It's not unheard of from someone with her condition.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

We have no idea what her "condition" is.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Hypocrisy?

... is that even a condition?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I've minutiously examined how she tends to react, and I looked up serious objective sources. It's still possible that I'm projecting, but to me she's shown all the signs of social anxiety disorder, or at least some kind of similar avoidance issue.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It's going to be an interesting conversation between May and Maribear.

Katsumoto would probably enjoy it   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster

What does being a guy or not have to do with it? That really confuses me. I'm not a guy and her reaction looks unnatural to me - at least as a reaction to the 1 minute of May she has probably at most seen. Most people I know would maybe have been upset and probably demanded some kind of justification, but not just stomped off without waiting for one. Mind you, I am not criticising Marigold for her behaviour, I am criticising Jeph for in my eyes writing Marigold in a not very believable way in this strip (not in general).
The "got" in the post you were replying to was not a typo for "not".  It was a synonym for "has".  Read it again

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Hikikomori?
She is a hikikomori under rehabilitation.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Jeph said in a Q&A once that Momo is the legal owner of her own chassis. You could probably find the link via the wiki. Fascinating questions come up about whether Marigold could repossess it for non-payment.

Occam's Razor on May's body: what if she stole it?

No, I'm thinking the easiest answer is that part of her Robot Jail work program was to do the glasses thing enough to earn a chassis. She might still owe on it, thus the requirement that she find employment.

The chassis may be being lent to her as a condition of her parole (which would mean that if she breached parole, she would be guilty of theft as well as absconding).

Oh, sure, come up with a better explanation. :P
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Smallest

• Curry sauce

... by not being an overdramatic jerk?

Marigold has anxiety issues and stuff, so it's sort of justifiable (it still feels to me like I missed a day or something with that angry yelling-and-storming-out of a reaction), but "how could she not" is a bit much.

dps

I don't at all understand the reaction to Marigold's behaviour here.  It's pretty much how I'd expect any woman to react if someone who was essentially a casual acquaintance of her boyfriend, and who she didn't know personally, suddenly showed up unannounced and asked to move in with the boyfriend for a bit.  And that's not sexist, because I'd expect the boyfriend to pretty much react the same way if the shoe was on the other foot.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I like Momo rage better than May rage.

Shadic

• Shadic's Website

Hopefully that was nipped in the bud. Good shit, May.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Direct, she is.

But yeah, she is no Momo.
Just another Joe like 46

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

So, who'd buy the "I AM THE REASON YOU TWO ARE BONING" t-shirt? :-D
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

T

We should put Pintsize, Momo, May, that Mac anthropc I forgot the name and the roomba in the same house and make a reality show.

It will be called "Robot House"

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

And here I thought Marigold had stormed out of Dale's apartment.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Get a Job, May!

Bitchy Barista Bot at Coffee of Doom!    8 (15.7%)
Works at the Library with Momo; plays her comic foil    1 (2%)
Gets a job at the Secret Bakery - new item: "Bitch Scones!"    3 (5.9%)
Pizza delivery - she becomes the NEW Pizza Girl!    10 (19.6%)
Maid for Hire - and Hannelore HIRES her!    3 (5.9%)
Something with Sven - to keep the hot babes away?    5 (9.8%)
Sassy Server at the Horrible Revelation?    3 (5.9%)
Stand up comedy. Because hey, why not?    0 (0%)
Silly: she'll be a midwife. (With a British accent.)    6 (11.8%)
Miniature figure painter! (Okay, now we're getting silly.)    1 (2%)
Flight Attendant!    2 (3.9%)
Waffles with Space Ham and Space Tea - part of this complete breakfast!    1 (2%)
Something entirely else from the warped mind of Jeph T. Jacques    8 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51
Just another Joe like 46

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

In light of today's comic, job-wise, an option comes to mind for May: maybe Dr Corrine needs an assistant?

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

So, was May just assuming they're doing more than necking these days, or does she have some other source of info?

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

So, was May just assuming they're doing more than necking these days, or does she have some other source of info?

Was it ever specifically stated that she no longer had access to Dales glasses? Even if she was no longer able/required to be his "maid" she may have been able to use them as a window to the outside world.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Ah May, being her usual charming self... :)

I'm guessing May immediately jumped to they were doing more than light kissing because that's how she thinks. When she first met Marigold, she figured the two of them would either kill each other or jump each other.. and since neither of them are dead, they went for option two. Besides that, Dale implied that May was interrupting the two of them, and nobody had denied May claiming the two of them are 'boning', so she's got reason to keep on thinking they are. Besides, she's crass and probably figures that's what they are doing all the time.

May wouldn't have had access to Dale's glasses after her work release program. First of all, that would be a huge invasion of his privacy if someone could be looking through his glasses without his knowledge and approval. Like, mega millions lawsuit material there. Secondly, May was in robot jail. They kinda keep track of what you are doing and limit your access to the outside. That's rather a big part of the whole being in jail part. It was apparently a program to pair her up with a comparable human to help moderate her behavior. Basically, Dale was her Jiminy Cricket.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Doucheboats!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Now we know what May is like when she's being nice.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

May is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I also love her new hair style.
Super-villain in training.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

If that's what you get from being on nicelist.txt I'd hate to see what she'd do if you're on her hitlist.txt.

Actually might be hitlist.xls. It's so large that the organization tools are helpful.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

May sounds like Faye. AssBot.

Dale can help May find a job. Any of the crummy part-time jobs he ditched, for starters.
I doubt May would mind smelling like pizza. How does an Anthro PC smell?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up