THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 00:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 229020 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Maybe Marten came over to Claire's house to invite her to pancakes, and her mother said in a very sweet but stern voice: "No, Marten, you are not eating greasy diner food. Come in, I will make pancakes. I'll even get my daughter up for you!" Or something along those lines. That is what I was thinking, at least.

Ooh, I like this one.

That does make sense...

Warning - while you were typing, the pancakes started to singe around the edges. You may wish to flip them before the smoke alarm goes off.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Marigold hasn't had big shiny lips either.

Evidence: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1993

I think the big shiny lips thing is mostly just who wears lip gloss or lipstick and who doesn't.
She had originally http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1413
And I'm pretty sure she didn't use lipstick/gloss/any make up back them.

The current trend might be just part of the style change but it still doesn't rule out my CLone family crack theory!

Yeah, but that was like a million art changes ago. 

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

So Claire family are robots also Hannelore and Marigold were replaced by robots too. Who will be next? Are May and Momo also involved? How do we detect when a male was replaced?

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

So Claire family are robots also Hannelore and Marigold were replaced by robots too. Who will be next? Are May and Momo also involved? How do we detect when a male was replaced?
That's the scary part, we can't tell.
SO FLUFFY!

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

T

Maybe Marten was not acting out of character. Maybe Marten is not Marten.

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

Maybe Marten came over to Claire's house to invite her to pancakes, and her mother said in a very sweet but stern voice: "No, Marten, you are not eating greasy diner food. Come in, I will make pancakes. I'll even get my daughter up for you!" Or something along those lines. That is what I was thinking, at least.

While practical, I doubt this as I don't see Marten being forward (read creepy) enough to just go to a house he has never been invited or taken to. 

Regardless, I get the feeling Marten and  Claire will be together simply because Jeph has been in love with the character since he sketched her out for his tumblr. My internet is being sketchy or I would link his first post about her.  Anyway, I believe He is going to put her into the best possible place within the comic, and from both a meta and narrative perspective, that would seem to be with Marten.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Hey, maybe Claire's mom is also trans!

That's why I said they are a clone family! Or as alternative title for old cartoons "the Clonesons"

You just broke the first rule of Clone Club.

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

Maybe Marten was not acting out of character. Maybe Marten is not Marten.
I taste conspiracy...

Okay, just try and tell me I'm wrong. But Claire in panel two looks perfect if you replace her background with an explosion. Soooooo cooool!
SO FLUFFY!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

judging from Claire's look in this one, I think she's about to flee the scene.

Yeah, this is not cool on either Marten's or Mrs. Augustus's part, tbqh. Claire should have the morning to process all this stuff with her support system, and Marten should be talking to Tai and figuring out how to kosher this budding office romance.

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

What. What is this. This makes me so happy. I want more of this.

I already love momma Augustus. I feel homesick all of the sudden, and yet I'm so full of squeee.

T

Yeah, this is not cool on either Marten's or Mrs. Augustus's part, tbqh. Claire should have the morning to process all this stuff with her support system, and Marten should be talking to Tai and figuring out how to kosher this budding office romance.
What is the scratch and cuddling where all a dream and made Marten realize that he loves her so he went to her house?

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

What is the scratch and cuddling where all a dream and made Marten realize that he loves her so he went to her house?

It would still be creepy! As her work supervisor, the right thing is to remove himself from her chain of command before pursuing her.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Who said he's pursuing her?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

It would still be creepy! As her work supervisor, the right thing is to remove himself from her chain of command before pursuing her.
But they are robots  :psyduck:

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

I hope this isn't inconsiderate to say, but what support system? Hasn't Claire said as much that Emily, Gabby, plus the gang is her friend network? Are Clinton and her mother her support system? I'd hazard to guess that most of her processing is internalized, which isn't necessarily a good way for her to process this stuff, and wouldn't be particularly entertaining as a comic.

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

This is fair, and I wonder how he will rationalize being with Claire when he was so against the possibility being pursued by Emily, but I honestly believe Marten is going to make an effort with Claire. 

T

This is fair, and I wonder how he will rationalize being with Claire when he was so against the possibility being pursued by Emily, but I honestly believe Marten is going to make an effort with Claire.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Aww, poor Emily. She needs to find a guy as weird as her. Mister Robot Hand, perhaps?  :-P
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

That's one good thing about electronic art and online comics. There isn't enough red ink in the world to draw Claire's entire family.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

T

Aww, poor Emily. She needs to find a guy as weird as her. Mister Robot Hand, perhaps?  :-P
Maybe May, she seems to like robots.

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

I feel like an ass for bringing this up, but I honestly rooted for an Emily/Marten (Emiten? Martily?) ship when the interns were first introduced, but she was a different kind of weird then.  Like she was honestly just so deep in a train of thought that getting her to come back to reality would leave everyone scratching their heads trying to catch up.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Just saw the comic and what. Just... what. I did not expect this so soon! A nice surprise, though, as his pleasant mood looks like a good omen in terms of characters being happy with the direction things are headed. Even though the look in Claire's eyes brings to mind the image of a deer caught in headlights, that is.

I take it Claire's mom already knew about Marten if she decided to just invite him over for breakfast. (As several of you have also inferred)

I think he won't. Rationalize, that is. He'll likely acknowledge the "but she's an intern where I work" argument as a rationalization for just not being into Emily. Anyway, we don't really know what Marten's thinking yet. He could want to pursue this. He could want to pursue this and have decided to extricate himself from the task of training interns. He could decide to put things on ice until the situation changes. He could decide he doesn't want to take things further, and simply be happy with the close friends thing. What we do know is that he's in a good mood and not worried about what happens next: he's made some sort of conclusion now that he has a few bites in him.
Mistakes, ahoy!

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

That seems highly unnecessary, his boss is literally stoned all day and he doesn't appear to have any formal authority over the unpaid interns

neurocase

• Furry furrier

I'm still of the opinion that Emily isn't even into Marten. She was just being her strange little self. Likewise, Marten showed no inclination toward her at all. In my opinion, she doesn't even come into the Claire/Marten equation at all, and if this goes ahead? I'll be incredibly surprised if there's a moment where Marten says they should stop and think about Emily's feelings. I guess I've always thought it was established there was nothing there for either of them, and in my mind, the whole "situation" with Emily was to settle into mind the idea of Marten dating an intern for other characters, i.e. Faye and Tai. Since they took it so easily about Emily, that might be a setup to that particular hangup being removed -or at least lessened- for Marten when it comes to Claire.

If any of that made sense outside of the cramped, spooky confines of my mind.

T

I'm still of the opinion that Emily isn't even into Marten. She was just being her strange little self. Likewise, Marten showed no inclination toward her at all. In my opinion, she doesn't even come into the Claire/Marten equation at all, and if this goes ahead? I'll be incredibly surprised if there's a moment where Marten says they should stop and think about Emily's feelings. I guess I've always thought it was established there was nothing there for either of them, and in my mind, the whole "situation" with Emily was to settle into mind the idea of Marten dating an intern for other characters, i.e. Faye and Tai. Since they took it so easily about Emily, that might be a setup to that particular hangup being removed -or at least lessened- for Marten when it comes to Claire.

Quote from: Emily Azuma
I liked it, I think Marten is cute
He has a cute butt, too!

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

I feel that Emily will be her super weird happy self and congratulate them if it goes further.
SO FLUFFY!

Seripham89

• Not quite a lurker

Just saw the comic and what. Just... what. I did not expect this so soon! A nice surprise, though, as his pleasant mood looks like a good omen in terms of characters being happy with the direction things are headed. Even though the look in Claire's eyes brings to mind the image of a deer caught in headlights, that is.

I take it Claire's mom already knew about Marten if she decided to just invite him over for breakfast. (As several of you have also inferred)

I think he won't. Rationalize, that is. He'll likely acknowledge the "but she's an intern where I work" argument as a rationalization for just not being into Emily. Anyway, we don't really know what Marten's thinking yet. He could want to pursue this. He could want to pursue this and have decided to extricate himself from the task of training interns. He could decide to put things on ice until the situation changes. He could decide he doesn't want to take things further, and simply be happy with the close friends thing. What we do know is that he's in a good mood and not worried about what happens next: he's made some sort of conclusion now that he has a few bites in him.

Yeah, but do any of those possibilities have unambiguously positive outcomes that seem likely?  What I mean is if he ices the relationship for now, there will be an awkward slip or Claire may feel like he is simply putting off telling her no, which I see her hiding to be professional, which will lead to a big long talk or issue down the road.  I don't see Jeph doing that and from a writing perspective, its about time Marten as main character attempted a new relationship AND that it be a mostly positive experience.  Sorry my W&L degree came out

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Are Clinton and her mother her support system?
That was my intent - doesn't she need them more than Marten does in a confusing situation? If things work out between them, she should get to introduce him to her family on her own terms.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Has Claire mentioned what her mom does for a job? Specifically, whether or not she's a barber?

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Has Claire mentioned what her mom does for a job? Specifically, whether or not she's a barber?
!

neurocase

• Furry furrier

He has a cute butt, too!

I think my best friend of four years is cute and has a cute butt, but she and I are only platonic. Thinking somebody's butt/other parts are cute/nice doesn't necessarily mean you're interested in them or want to pursue a relationship with them. By this logic, Claire is romantically interested in Steve. As demonstrated in this comic: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2367

rcs

• Not quite a lurker

I think Marten is going to leave the library job if he and Claire start dating. They were just discussing how it wasn't his dream job and how depressing it was for him to think of his being there for a long term gig. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2785

T

He has a cute butt, too!

I think my best friend of four years is cute and has a cute butt, but she and I are only platonic. Thinking somebody's butt/other parts are cute/nice doesn't necessarily mean you're interested in them or want to pursue a relationship with them. By this logic, Claire is romantically interested in Steve. As demonstrated in this comic: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2367
Clearly she was interested... How it developed from there on is another matter

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I feel like an ass for bringing this up, but I honestly rooted for an Emily/Marten (Emiten? Martily?) ship when the interns were first introduced, but she was a different kind of weird then.  Like she was honestly just so deep in a train of thought that getting her to come back to reality would leave everyone scratching their heads trying to catch up.

Thank you. I was trying to pin down what was bugging me about Emily, and you just nailed it. When we first "met" her, she seemed like someone who was bright but prone to having her mind wander to some funny/odd places. She was endearingly quirky. The quirks developed, but the character hasn't... she strikes me as the one character in the strip who, if anything, has devolved since she was introduced, which is kind of a shame.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

kryptoknight

• Emoticontraindication

I would argue that a physical attraction doesn't necessarily imply a desire for a romantic relationship.  There are several women I can think of in media and in my own life that I find physically attractive, but there's NO WAY I'd get involved with them.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Yes, Claire was interested in grabbing Steve's butt... Maybe not quite the same as "romantically" interested.   :-D

This breakfast scene is really, really a stretch, but I'm willing to overlook a few plot holes for the sake of getting to meet Claire's mom.  And look, she's going to make things just as awkward for Claire as Marten's mom does for him! 

evilQuälgeist

• Furry furrier

*reads strip*

What? O.O

LOGIC ERROR! X.X

There is a difference in finding someone pleasant to the eye and beeing romanticaly or sexualy interested i them, finding someone pretty/beautiful and beeing attracted by them are very different. I have a friend who I find very beautiful but who I'm not to at all.

Leveton

• Not quite a lurker

I have no problem with Emily's depiction. She's been flanderized a bit, but she isn't super-unrealistic. I have known people who were supremely odd and prone to non sequiturs the way she is, who would enthusiastically eat a banana "smoothie" made with a hammer, always with their head in the clouds. Not quite to the extent that Emily is, but you see exaggerations like that in practically all fiction.

evilQuälgeist

• Furry furrier

Just as a note, I would enthusiastically eat a banana smothie made with a hammer, it's just a funny idea.

DrClef

• Plantmonster

Claire said it best.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I think the missing scenes are:

1) Claire tells her mother
2) Marten goes to a diner
3) Claire's mother (CM) goes out to buy something for breakfast
4) CM sees Marten and recognises him (maybe from description or from a photo)
5) CM invites Marten over

I think Marten is going to leave the library job if he and Claire start dating. They were just discussing how it wasn't his dream job and how depressing it was for him to think of his being there for a long term gig. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2785

That's what I was thinking but I think that would kill their relationship because I think Claire would feel guilty about it.
Francisco

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

I don't even.

I cannot figure out a logical flow of events for this one.

Also, Claire looks totally unrealistic. With hair that fluffy, I'm thinking she'd have epic bedhead.

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

I don't even.

I cannot figure out a logical flow of events for this one.

Also, Claire looks totally unrealistic. With hair that fluffy, I'm thinking she'd have epic bedhead.
Red fluffy redemption  :claireface:
SO FLUFFY!

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Glad to see I am not the only one with a bloody weird day.
Also, would not Marten's number be among the professional numbers Claire left home?
I know my mother has the number of the middle school I work at, with the number of a colleague scribbled next to it.
Signature OF DOOM!

Stoon

What baffles me about this strip is nobody seems to cook.  Is this a millennial thing?  It's a heck of a lot cheaper than going out for every meal, and quicker than getting dressed going out to find a diner, ordering, and then waiting for your food.  Pancakes are easy.

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker

I'm thinking not. The hair is substantially different, as are the glasses, facial structure, and eyebrows. But... damn, impressive memory to pull up a random character like that!

Also... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I have hair like Claire's, and I only sometimes get the epic bedhead.  About a 50% chance. 

And it's bad enough for Claire to run into Marten in her PJ's without the hair thing too.  Sooooo not cool of her mom.

T

There is a difference in finding someone pleasant to the eye and beeing romanticaly or sexualy interested i them, finding someone pretty/beautiful and beeing attracted by them are very different. I have a friend who I find very beautiful but who I'm not to at all.

She didn't just said that she likes his body. The first thing she said is "I liked it" and them started to talk about how attractive he is.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

A meeting could've taken place a while ago off-camera, as it were, but the most plausible scenario I can think of (a ride home from work, and pointing out the guy she works with at the library) doesn't fit 'cause Claire has a car. I'm sure this isn't the first time that Marten's been a topic of conversation, so Clairemom probably knew of him before today/last night.

That she has a car does not mean that she uses it every day. Maybe it was being repaired, or she had lent it to someone.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25   Go Up