THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Jun 2024, 19:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 165302 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #200 on: 03 Feb 2015, 23:38 »

Faye's situation seems to be a lot less dire than I would have expected - I wonder if this is because Jeph wants to move on to happier things, or if this is just a temporary improvement.
What do you know about Pokémon?

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #201 on: 03 Feb 2015, 23:46 »

2889:

I loved Martens clumsy attempt at reassuring Faye.

2890:
(click to show/hide)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #202 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:07 »

2890 made me tear up with joy.  I'll have more - much more - to say at the appropriate time. 

Makes me thing there's going to be YB for Friday, though.  I mean, where do you go from there? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

McH

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:16 »

I'm impressed with Marten's tactful way of telling Faye to not pull shit like that whilst not letting it come off cross. Not quite reassured that Faye's also on the track to recovery. As many, I do not think she's being mean or anything. Just cranky, hurting and dealing with the realization that she f*cked up in a bad way.

I think it's very good for plot development that we're at least not going on the route where Faye comes back to CoD and everyone lives angstily ever after. Curious to see what direction Jeph will take that particular part, but I'm hoping it involves art.
Each piece of music tells a story. It can be a different story for everyone. It may be different today than it was last year. What will it be in 50? Who knows.

~He who doesn't seek ease, is lazy~

maxh

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #204 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:31 »

2890 made me tear up with joy.  I'll have more - much more - to say at the appropriate time. 

Makes me thing there's going to be YB for Friday, though.  I mean, where do you go from there?
QC MMDCCCXCI: Behind Closed Doors
GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7  D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #205 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:43 »

QC MMDCCCXCI: Behind Closed Doors

If only Jeph would do like David Willis and make a Slipshine story...  :wink:
What do you know about Pokémon?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #206 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:52 »

I hope that's a new couch Marten's sitting on. :-\
No, it is the same couch (I doubt they would get an identical one). But Marten is sitting on the non-puked side. I guess they have flipped the cushion on the other side (again). Of course, they must address the issue eventually (Hanners has for a long time refused to sit in that couch).

As for today's strip, another good Faye/Marten interaction. They really are best friends. But where is Pintsize? Sleeping? Do robots sleep (and dream of electric sheep)? Or is he still powered down by Faye? Is that a crime, unless it is planned maintenance or upgrade? I can understand why Faye and Marten might want to get rid of him for a while, I just want to question the legality.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #207 on: 04 Feb 2015, 00:58 »

Oh dear.

(click to show/hide)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #208 on: 04 Feb 2015, 01:15 »

I have had some thoughts about that in this post.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #209 on: 04 Feb 2015, 03:38 »

And seems that Jeph took 2890 down, as URL manipulation does nothing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #210 on: 04 Feb 2015, 04:07 »

Oh dear.

(click to show/hide)

Come on now. Jeph wouldn't do that shit.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #211 on: 04 Feb 2015, 04:11 »

I'm kind of glad I didn't see 2890 yet, because the Claire/Marten storyline does nothing for me. I've even started to dislike Marten because he's so utterly boring around Claire.

Faye: wow, I would have expected a lot more bad mood from her, but she's thankful and nice. Puts the interaction with Hanners in a different light, too, since she just seems unhappy and not mean-spirited or anything, as a few posters before have pointed out (thank you - I always like how you guys can change my perspective with well-placed arguments)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #212 on: 04 Feb 2015, 04:21 »

I've even started to dislike Marten because he's so utterly boring around Claire.

You take the view that happy stories are boring, and only ones with conflict are worthwhile, do you?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #213 on: 04 Feb 2015, 04:23 »

Faye: wow, I would have expected a lot more bad mood from her, but she's thankful and nice.

So far. I wonder how she'll be when she hasn't had a drink for a week... a fortnight... a month...
Or next time something stressful happens to her, for which job-hunting will provide plenty of opportunities.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #214 on: 04 Feb 2015, 05:09 »

I've even started to dislike Marten because he's so utterly boring around Claire.

You take the view that happy stories are boring, and only ones with conflict are worthwhile, do you?

No, I like happy stories, but compare with how Tai and Dora got together - they actually talked. Their first date? They told each other stuff about themselves, interesting stuff. It was still happy, but it engaged me instead of just thinking: oh, another wasted page of Marten and Claire being all bumbly around each other. yaaaay.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #216 on: 04 Feb 2015, 05:21 »

Look, people who barely know each other need to tell each other about themselves. 

People who've worked together for quite a while - several months so far at least - and are friends who have already talked several times get to revel in each other's company instead. 

I'd say it's just realistic. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #217 on: 04 Feb 2015, 05:25 »

Another thing to consider is that we already know Marten pretty well, as he's the main character, and is pretty open about his history. Showing him telling Claire about himself (except for a little bit so that it feels natural) isn't that interesting, because it's telling the reader something they already know.

Conversely, Dora's history... we know a fair amount of her personality and her history with men, and we know she's bi, but before she actually started dating Tai, we didn't know much at all about her history with women. There was more of Dora's story to tell.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #218 on: 04 Feb 2015, 05:36 »

Nothing wrong with how Marten/Claire are becoming ... more than friends/co-workers. It's just that Tai/Dora got itself an extra serving of greatness when Tai stepped out of her clumsy-puppy-love persona to try to kick down some of Dora's insecurity wall. In the vernacular of The Site That Will Ruin Your Life, that in my mind was Tai's Moment of Awesome.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #219 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:07 »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to examine your couch's cleanliness.
I may be a bit Hanneloreish, but my first thought on seeing today's comic was how Marten can stand to sit on that couch now. Though it is important to note he's sitting on the right side of the couch. The left side is the puked side.

Oh, and I haven't seen tomorrow's comic yet. The glitch seems to have been fixed before I woke up.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #220 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:14 »

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to examine your couch's cleanliness.
I may be a bit Hanneloreish, but my first thought on seeing today's comic was how Marten can stand to sit on that couch now.

I'm agreeing completely.

And I missed the new comic.  :-(
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #221 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:22 »

Faye: wow, I would have expected a lot more bad mood from her, but she's thankful and nice.

So far. I wonder how she'll be when she hasn't had a drink for a week... a fortnight... a month...
Or next time something stressful happens to her, for which job-hunting will provide plenty of opportunities.

I think she would have been detoxed at the hospital, but yes I agree the next stressor.

One thing that her dialoge tells me is that this probally wasn't a suicide attempt. Most of the people I know who have tried suicide have been much, much more angry at the person who stopped them, at least initially.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #222 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:30 »

I'm glad I didn't see the comic. This way I can still get a comic tomorrow. I always look at the comic, if it's available early, and am always sad the next day.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #223 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:33 »

I... found it.

(click to show/hide)

Jays

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #224 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:42 »

I agree with posters who said that Hannelore wasn't upset with Faye "snapping" at her, but at the idea of Faye not being at CoD. :) I don't blame Hanners for her reaction. I just think I might have reacted to it the same way Faye did.

Missed the early comic. Grr.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #225 on: 04 Feb 2015, 06:55 »

Because, you know, Claire hasn't told Marten about herself at all, and Marten hasn't told Claire about his passions while on a date with her.

Never.

You linked to the coming-out-strip twice, but I hope you know what I mean?  we have at least 10 comics or so where both of them don't do anything else than being all into each other and cute. 2-3 comics about that is fine, but.. really? Tai and Dora talked about her coming-out, about Tai's bullying in school, that kind of stuff. On their date.
The coming-out of Claire was long before they started dating, and Marten liking metal wasn't anything new

Look, people who barely know each other need to tell each other about themselves. 

People who've worked together for quite a while - several months so far at least - and are friends who have already talked several times get to revel in each other's company instead. 

I'd say it's just realistic. 

Yeah, it is, and it's fine, actually, but the 'screentime' it gets bothers me. We saw Corsette and Steve's first date, because it was funny and very character-defining for her, but we didn't see all of them because that would have been boring. We saw Tai and Dora's first, and at least one in between, but not the few that followed - it wouldn't have been interesting.  We get told EVERYTHING with Marten and Claire.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #226 on: 04 Feb 2015, 07:06 »

Swapna; Yeah, I agree with you.

Marten and Claire are together, I am very happy about that and they seem well adjusted. But I've gotten my squees out of my system and I would rather see more of the three or four other ongoing plotlines.

Now, if Marten and Claire do something new, have an interesting conversation, etc... I would be happy to see that. It doesn't even have to be conflict. Hell, I would be happy hearing more Claire backstory, or a discussion about what they consent to sexually. just something with more substance than them being cute together. Its not like I want them to have a fight or anything, they can be happy and interesting at the same time.

I also haven't seen tomorrows comic, I am interested to see Claire's take on the Faye situation.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #227 on: 04 Feb 2015, 07:33 »

I also missed the early comic, but from the sound of it, it may have been a good thing.  Can't wait until Marten and Claire settle into the "good friends who cuddle and fuck" stage, and start acting normal around each other again. 

More generally, I've found myself increasingly frustrated with the MOAR DRAMA contingent on the forum. 

The "Never Again"  caption on 2889 seems to say to me not only that Marten is setting boundaries, but we're not going to see Faye hit such a low point again in the strip.  Not to say that she might slip up and get drunk again, but that she's going to for the most part be on a general recovery path.  This not only keeps with Jeph's own experience with drinking, but also fits with Jeph not being really comfortable with high drama in his comic for long periods.  The strip has no antagonist, and none of the main characters get the crap kicked out of them steadily for years of comic time.  I don't think Jeph has it in him to write that sort of comic - he is attached to his characters, and not a sadist. 

Isyrion

• Emoticontraindication
  • Burn baby Burn!
« Reply #228 on: 04 Feb 2015, 08:39 »

I also missed the early comic, but from the sound of it, it may have been a good thing.  Can't wait until Marten and Claire settle into the "good friends who cuddle and fuck" stage, and start acting normal around each other again. 

More generally, I've found myself increasingly frustrated with the MOAR DRAMA contingent on the forum. 

The "Never Again"  caption on 2889 seems to say to me not only that Marten is setting boundaries, but we're not going to see Faye hit such a low point again in the strip.  Not to say that she might slip up and get drunk again, but that she's going to for the most part be on a general recovery path.  This not only keeps with Jeph's own experience with drinking, but also fits with Jeph not being really comfortable with high drama in his comic for long periods.  The strip has no antagonist, and none of the main characters get the crap kicked out of them steadily for years of comic time.  I don't think Jeph has it in him to write that sort of comic - he is attached to his characters, and not a sadist.

Agreed, all that is left is the answer to what happened to Pintsize, likely turned off but there is just enough ambiguity in how he was detected to make me and a few other wonder (and he has been shown to have been rattled after an impact to the wall despite the mil grade body, I forget which comic it was)

And I think my computer is possessed as it's autocorrect tried to render Pintsize that in a way that would have made Pintsize proud. 

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #229 on: 04 Feb 2015, 09:14 »

I wonder if there's some reason behind this since he doesn't normally do that when this happens, once it's out there it's out there. I wonder if he's changing anything or wants to set it up first.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #230 on: 04 Feb 2015, 09:28 »

The course of true love never runs smooth. Claire's insecurities and Marten's low level of ambition may cause plenty of drama ahead. I'm happy to savor the squeeee in the meantime.

Anyway, "you're cute when you're reasonable" was a line worth sitting through some amount of boredom for.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #231 on: 04 Feb 2015, 10:03 »

Everything isn't all drama all the time. Whether it's a story or real life, people need time and space to step away from everything, take a deep breath, and just be. As IICIH mentions, there'll be time for drama later. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but to me one barometer (among many) of a healthy relationship is the avoidance of unnecessary drama. My prediction for the short term? Marten probably hasn't slept a wink since finding Faye on the couch; he'll be out before his head hits the pillow.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #232 on: 04 Feb 2015, 12:06 »

I missed something?

Damn.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Isyrion

• Emoticontraindication
  • Burn baby Burn!
« Reply #233 on: 04 Feb 2015, 12:47 »

I wonder if there's some reason behind this since he doesn't normally do that when this happens, once it's out there it's out there. I wonder if he's changing anything or wants to set it up first.

If you look that archive numbering is a bit screwed up at top. He might have taken it down to fix and issue with the site given that this is the second time in a row its happened.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #234 on: 04 Feb 2015, 13:44 »

Everything isn't all drama all the time. Whether it's a story or real life, people need time and space to step away from everything, take a deep breath, and just be. As IICIH mentions, there'll be time for drama later. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but to me one barometer (among many) of a healthy relationship is the avoidance of unnecessary drama.

True, but there isn't really a reason to show us that, is there? I assume Penny and Will are completely happy and maintaining their relationship well, mostly because we havent' checked in on them in a long time.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #235 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:00 »

Heh, now cue two weeks of Wil and Penelope doing something, like trying to get some of his poetry published, and the ensuing hijinks.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #236 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:13 »

Everything isn't all drama all the time. Whether it's a story or real life, people need time and space to step away from everything, take a deep breath, and just be. As IICIH mentions, there'll be time for drama later. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but to me one barometer (among many) of a healthy relationship is the avoidance of unnecessary drama.

True, but there isn't really a reason to show us that, is there? I assume Penny and Will are completely happy and maintaining their relationship well, mostly because we havent' checked in on them in a long time.

The flip side of that, though, is the degree of connection to the rest of the cast. Penelope isn't really close to any of the main cast. Sure, she works at CoD, but even Dora seems to forget that from time to time. For his part, Wil's really only connected to Sven (who we haven't seen) and otherwise only shows up when the story calls for beer and fancy clothes. Sure, we don't have to see every last time Penelope gets angry at Wil for leaving the seat up, but it's also not like they're close enough to anybody else to figure much in their stories except as window dressing.

Marten, on the other hand, has connections to the whole main cast (he is, after all, the comic's protagonist), and Claire is connected not only to Marten, but also the gang at the library, plus Clinton. Clinton aside, she's good friends with several of the people she's met. In other words, their relationship could be smooth sailing for the remainder of the strip* and there'd still be plenty of reason to feature both of them, since they'd presumably have an interest in what goes on in their friends' lives, and they offer support where they can.

*Not that I foresee it playing out that way, or think that it should, mind you.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #237 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:23 »

This might be a good opportunity to take a breath and check-in on the various storylines happening right now in the Q.C. universe. Faye has been on our minds a lot lately (for obvious reasons) and it seems like tomorrow's comic might be some more development of Marten and Claire's relationship. So here is my list, submitted with permission:

- Faye: what happens next post-Angus, post-CoD, and after her stay in hospital?
- Marten and Claire’s relationship development
- How will Dora reconcile with Faye? What about Sven?
- What happened to Pintsize?
- Sven's unrequited pining of Faye
- Veronica possibly moving to Northampton to be with Jim
- Emily and Clinton
- Pintsize and Winslow Kickstarter shenanigans
- Hannelore's new nemesis: Juicy

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #238 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:34 »

Marten and Claire are together, I am very happy about that and they seem well adjusted. But I've gotten my squees out of my system

No, you haven't.  Not yet. 

Trust me. 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #239 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:35 »

This might be a good opportunity to take a breath and check-in on the various storylines happening right now in the Q.C. universe. Faye has been on our minds a lot lately (for obvious reasons) and it seems like tomorrow's comic might be some more development of Marten and Claire's relationship. So here is my list, submitted with permission:

- Faye: what happens next post-Angus, post-CoD, and after her stay in hospital?
- Marten and Claire’s relationship development
- How will Dora reconcile with Faye? What about Sven?
- What happened to Pintsize?
- Sven's unrequited pining of Faye
- Emily and Clinton
- Pintsize and Winslow Kickstarter shenanigans
- Hannelore's new nemesis: Juicy

Two questions:
1. I thought Veronica had already moved?
2. How long has it been (in-comic) since Sven's "confession"?

I don't have the same hatred of Sven that a lot of people on the boards seem to... I think that if Dora gives him a good talking to about Faye's life of late, he could actually be helpful, or at least try to be. Whether that's the best thing for Faye, of course, is something else again.

I think that Juicy might be like the Emergency Bourbon... a one-off gag that'll bring up endless speculation every time someone who looks even vaguely like her pops up in the strip.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #240 on: 04 Feb 2015, 14:45 »

Marten and Claire are together, I am very happy about that and they seem well adjusted. But I've gotten my squees out of my system
No, you haven't.  Not yet. 

Trust me.

Man, how bad a fanboy do I have to be that just reading you TALKING about the squee makes me wanna squee.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

ASB84

« Reply #241 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:03 »

I'm kind of glad I didn't see 2890 yet, because the Claire/Marten storyline does nothing for me. I've even started to dislike Marten because he's so utterly boring around Claire.

I'm in the same boat. The date comics and a lot of their interactions are just a bit too cutesy and saccharine for my tastes. That's not to say I want every conversation to be deep, or for the strip to be filled with nothing but drama, but I'd just like something to cut through the treacle, as it were. As I said, it's just a bit too much for my tastes.

That said, I'm obviously in the minority, so I don't want to be a grumpy malcontent who rains on everyone else's parade. So for those who do love it and can't help but squee...right on, by all means enjoy the hell out of it! We'll just have to agree to disagree on its appeal and awesomeness.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #242 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:14 »

I'm in the same boat. The date comics and a lot of their interactions are just a bit too cutesy and saccharine for my tastes. That's not to say I want every conversation to be deep, or for the strip to be filled with nothing but drama, but I'd just like something to cut through the treacle, as it were. As I said, it's just a bit too much for my tastes.

That said, I'm obviously in the minority, so I don't want to be a grumpy malcontent who rains on everyone else's parade. So for those who do love it and can't help but squee...right on, by all means enjoy the hell out of it! We'll just have to agree to disagree on its appeal and awesomeness.

You said it better than I would have.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #243 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:25 »

Two questions:

1. She has already moved, yes. Her apartment is on Main Street, as I recall. Couldn't find the exact strip for that. Found it.
2. Immediately after second callback Click a few pages.

Count me in the minority dinghy. I mean, I like the relationship well enough, and it has some intriguing aspects that hopefully we'll get some insight on. It's the ridiculously over-the-top gummy gumdrops, rainbows and unicorns aspect that just makes me... ugh. And this coming from someone who reads corny romance novels in her space time.

Warning - while you were typing your diabeetus became more severe. You may want to up your dosage of insulin.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2015, 15:31 by Omega Entity »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #244 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:29 »

It's still in its early stages.  A lot of relationships start out like that.  Bitter recriminations happen shortly after marriage.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #245 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:50 »

It's still in its early stages.  A lot of relationships start out like that.  Bitter recriminations happen shortly after marriage.

Yup! You've got to get to know someone before you can really hurt them.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #246 on: 04 Feb 2015, 17:24 »

Jeph's depiction of Claire's anxiety while waiting for Marten to make a move on her was quietly brilliant, but I agree with ASB84 and Omega that the date arc was tedious and saccharine, and a missed chance for these characters to open up to each other. Claire still feels sketchy and unlayered to me and the relationship with Marten isn't developing her so far.

2890 feels awkward, because while I can totally buy that passionate makeouts are Marten's place of comfort right now, it's harder for me to imagine what's going through the profoundly libidinous-inexperienced-maybe-dysphoric Claire's mind. The fact that we aren't given a lot of insight makes her makes her seem more like Marten's stress-ball than an independent person here.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #247 on: 04 Feb 2015, 17:50 »

Two questions:

1. She has already moved, yes. Her apartment is on Main Street, as I recall. Couldn't find the exact strip for that. Found it.
2. Immediately after second callback Click a few pages.

Ah, yes. Thanks for catching that!

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #248 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:05 »

2890 feels awkward, because while I can totally buy that passionate makeouts are Marten's place of comfort right now, it's harder for me to imagine what's going through the profoundly libidinous-inexperienced-maybe-dysphoric Claire's mind. The fact that we aren't given a lot of insight makes her makes her seem more like Marten's stress-ball than an independent person here.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or simply a symptom of so many concurrent plot lines, but I've noticed these sorts of holes appearing more and more often in the narrative.  Maybe holes is too strong a word, but the best I can come up with besides that is 'places where the reader is forced to draw their own conclusions, because it's not addressed in the story.'
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #249 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:14 »

I have nothing against subtext when it's used carefully. I don't want everything to be spelled out! But Claire's first sexual relationship should be a pivotal moment in her life and I think these moments should be at least as much about her as they are about Marten and Faye.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up