THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Jun 2024, 21:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 165319 times)

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #250 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:34 »

Can we just not discuss comics that aren't technically up yet and some of us have not had a chance, or ability, to read.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #251 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:37 »

I've seen it, but yeah, it make sense to at least spoiler it.  Once can always edit it back after the comic goes live properly.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #252 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:40 »

I have nothing against subtext when it's used carefully. I don't want everything to be spelled out! But Claire's first sexual relationship should be a pivotal moment in her life and I think these moments should be at least as much about her as they are about Marten and Faye.

While trying to avoid playing spoiler,
(click to show/hide)
Emily is the Avatar.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #253 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:43 »

I think there's a difference between spelling everything out and leaving the reader to wonder how something happened (or if).  One of the hardest things about using subtext is knowing when it's coming across - I agree that the subtlety of Claire falling for Marten was pretty well done, but even though I have a pet theory that works for me, there's nothing at all before Marten puts his hands in Claire's hair that indicates he thinks of her as anything more than a friend.  Hell, even as he was doing it, he appeared to be surprised that Faye was leaving the room. 

(click to show/hide)
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #254 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:01 »

I have nothing against subtext when it's used carefully. I don't want everything to be spelled out! But Claire's first sexual relationship should be a pivotal moment in her life and I think these moments should be at least as much about her as they are about Marten and Faye.
Wasn't this her first relationship, period? I mean, she had to ask when asking for a second date was appropriate. This all is going waaaay too fast if that's true, especially considering Claire's, shall we say, unique circumstances.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2015, 19:34 by Omega Entity »

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #255 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:22 »

2890 feels awkward, because while I can totally buy that passionate makeouts are Marten's place of comfort right now, it's harder for me to imagine what's going through the profoundly libidinous-inexperienced-maybe-dysphoric Claire's mind. The fact that we aren't given a lot of insight makes her makes her seem more like Marten's stress-ball than an independent person here.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or simply a symptom of so many concurrent plot lines, but I've noticed these sorts of holes appearing more and more often in the narrative.  Maybe holes is too strong a word, but the best I can come up with besides that is 'places where the reader is forced to draw their own conclusions, because it's not addressed in the story.'

It's also worth noting that there was a shift in the storytelling that accompanied the last change in the art; Jeph moved from less "telling" and more "showing." In the same way that the art has taken some time to settle in each time it's changed, I think that a stylistic shift in the storytelling would take a similar period of adjustment, especially when you're going from a very talky style to one that's a bit more minimalist. The number of dangling plot threads -- they're getting to be more like a fringe, or maybe tassels at this point -- likely isn't helping things any.

April, I understand your concerns, but I may be reading this a bit differently; for one thing, we might be jumping the gun a bit assuming sexytimes at this point; for another, we haven't seen anything either explicit or implied that suggests that Claire's giving up any of her agency in this situation. She's there of her own volition, but more to the point, Marten's kept the focus very much on her by taking his cues from her comfort level and needs.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #256 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:27 »

we haven't seen anything either explicit or implied that suggests that Claire's giving up any of her agency in this situation.

I don't think she's being exploited, I'm just saying that I know exactly what is going through Marten's head in that scene and I can barely guess what Claire is thinking or feeling. That feels off.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #257 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:28 »

Okay, today's comic is finally up.

I have to say I'm surprised people squeed, because there's nothing cute in it besides Claire's puppy-dog face in the first frame.  It might be steamy, but it isn't endearing.  Frankly, the hint of tongue in the kiss is kinda nauseating.  Just IMHO, but semi or entirely open mouth kissing is one of those things which may be fun to do, but is pretty gross to see. 

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #258 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:30 »

An inevitability of their character designs, since neither Claire nor Marten have lips to lock.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #259 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:32 »

An inevitability of their character designs, since neither Claire nor Marten have lips to lock.

True enough.  Every time they kiss I also think about their sharp, jutting chins jabbing into each other.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #260 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:34 »

Okay, today's comic is finally up.

I have to say I'm surprised people squeed, because there's nothing cute in it besides Claire's puppy-dog face in the first frame.  It might be steamy, but it isn't endearing.  Frankly, the hint of tongue in the kiss is kinda nauseating.  Just IMHO, but semi or entirely open mouth kissing is one of those things which may be fun to do, but is pretty gross to see.
Just going by avatars, I'd expect AprilArcus to be the one saying this.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #261 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:35 »

There's more to the whole thing than what we see. Kinda like that blackout comic from last week.

Three things I'm assuming happened between 2887 and 2890:

1. Marten called Claire and told her about Faye, and that he had to get the booze out of the apartment.
2. He then likely called her once Faye got home, and the apartment was de-boozed.
3. She asked if he still wanted her to come over "for some comforting." He responded with a yes.

Then - things just went from there.

Kids: sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #262 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:35 »

Just going by avatars, I'd expect AprilArcus to be the one saying this.

Don't let it fool you. Hannelore in the streets, Sven in the sheets.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!
« Reply #263 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:41 »

Don't let it fool you. Hannelore in the streets, Sven in the sheets.

I came here to make a suggestive comment about hearing saxophones playing faintly, but this stopped me cold. 

I feel like Steve Harvey talking to the Tran family - "I can't top that joke!"

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #264 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:42 »

Where is this room with pink walls?  I don't think we've been in there before.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #265 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:43 »

Dang

And YES!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #266 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:43 »

I wanna high five them both. 
-It's tradition!
-Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #267 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:50 »

One of these days my head is going to explode from all the squeeing.
Super-villain in training.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #268 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:52 »

Where is this room with pink walls?  I don't think we've been in there before.

Pretty sure it's just that the kiss was so Important and Meaningful that it completely eliminated the background and replaced it with a pink haze.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #269 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:54 »

I would like to point out, that this looks like the front door, not the bedroom door.  And most places I have lived, the doors are self-locking.  Things may not actually be going "too fast" here.  Also, there are a few ways that I have looked at Claire's expression in panel 1. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #270 on: 04 Feb 2015, 19:56 »

I would like to point out, that this looks like the front door, not the bedroom door.  And most places I have lived, the doors are self-locking.  Things may not actually be going "too fast" here.  Also, there are a few ways that I have looked at Claire's expression in panel 1.

If that's the case, the doorknob jumped from one side to the other in a single panel.  I'm thinking that's his bedroom. 

My personal head canon is whatever they're doing, there's no WAY Marten's doing it on the couch.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #271 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:01 »

I'm surprised that he hasn't tried scavangening a faux-leather one around moving day.  Much easier to clean for the drunken antics of the cast.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #272 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:05 »

we haven't seen anything either explicit or implied that suggests that Claire's giving up any of her agency in this situation.

I don't think she's being exploited, I'm just saying that I know exactly what is going through Marten's head in that scene and I can barely guess what Claire is thinking or feeling. That feels off.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Marten's slept in a couple of days. I think if we see anything, it's going to be a callback to the post-wedding cuddle and snooze, 'cause Marten's likely so tired that he'll be asleep in no time. I could be wrong, but I get a feeling that's where that's going.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #273 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:06 »

I'm surprised that he hasn't tried scavangening a faux-leather one around moving day.  Much easier to clean for the drunken antics of the cast.

Either that, or those old-school plastic slipcovers (if you have Italian relatives, you know what I'm talking about).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #274 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:18 »

I think Marten probably informed Claire (briefly) what was going on when he called her and told her he couldn't make it.  I think JWHouk's right, though, that either Marten called to let Claire know he was back, or Claire called to see if he was back yet. 

I get the feeling the conversation was more along the lines of,

CLaire: "That must have been difficult for you." 
Marten: "Yeah, it was pretty rough." 
Claire "I can come over if you want to talk?" 

Or maybe she just decided to come over to comfort him.  But he needs that now. 

And why would he need it now?  A good friend is on the edge, was almost over the edge, in fact.  But you'll notice that he never gave Faye a hug to comfort her...

Faye established a no-touchy rule early on in their relationship.  The one time we've seen them hug was the flower-pits comic.  Maybe in their undies, I don't remember (and I'm not up to an archive trawl).  But at this point in time, Marten just doesn't feel comfortable comforting Faye physically.  Perhaps simply because of the loss of Angus, he thinks it would feel like a "move" to her. 

But after the night he just went through, he needs a hug.  I'm not suggesting Claire is any kind of substitute for Faye or anything, far from it.  And, as another forumite mentioned, after the day (days?) he's just had in the hospital, I imagine he'll be passing out holding onto Claire in pretty short order. 

Which, I think, is more what he needs than anything else from her.  Just... comfort. 

The comic made me weep a bit, by the way.  Not squee, just - just tear up a bunch. 

But I get emotional easily these days, so take that as you will. 

Warning - while you were typing Arizaphale made the same point, only much more succinctly.  You may wish to review your post.

Nah, thanks.  I'm good. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

grez

• Plantmonster
« Reply #275 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:19 »

I'm glad Claire's not mad at Marten, but I was rather more curious about her reaction to the "Big Story" as a relative outsider. Maybe next time.

Mr. Black Licorice

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #276 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:23 »

Is it just me or does this feel too soon after the drama with Faye?

CasAttack

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #277 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:25 »

While it isn't exactly clear how Claire feels about everything, she clearly isn't afraid to stay away and I love that. She's present, comforting Marten who also has had a long night and that to me is a great indicator of a mature relationship. Hope things stay this way, especially when Marten is probably gonna have to navigate some Tough Moments between Dora and Faye (probably Tai involvement, too as I could see Tai not taking Dora's side on this).

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #278 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:28 »

Did that click mean they locked the door?

Ooohhhhhh :-o :-o :-o :-D :-D :-D

PREPARE THE ARBOR DAY BANNER!!!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #279 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:29 »

Depends on what's going on behind the door. 

But whatever that may be, clearly the participants don't think so. 

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #280 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:33 »

PREPARE THE ARBOR DAY BANNER!!!

Are we going to celebrate the wood? Ha boner joke, I'm so funny.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Mr. Black Licorice

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #281 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:37 »

Depends on what's going on behind the door. 

But whatever that may be, clearly the participants don't think so.

I'm thinking more from a story telling perspective: there wasn't a lot of lead up. I kinda found it jarring.

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #282 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:39 »

It's pretty obvious from the comic what is happening.  Marten is obviously eating Claire's face.  My representation of what is happening in the room: http://imgur.com/IKp0Apr

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #283 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:42 »

I'm thinking more from a story telling perspective: there wasn't a lot of lead up. I kinda found it jarring.

Yes, thank you.  Jarring.  Couldn't quite put my finger on it. 

Of course, real life is rarely smooth...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #284 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:48 »

...You have read through the archives, right? Like, the first 511 strips?

"Lead up" may appear to be jarring, but it's actually because it tends to be glacial. When one of the icebergs finally fall off the ice shelf, that's when we notice it.

But this - this has kinda been building for a while. We just haven't seen it since the two of them were off holding hands.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #285 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:49 »

Marten probably hasn't slept a wink since finding Faye on the couch; he'll be out before his head hits the pillow.

Did Faye spend a whole night in the hospital, or just a few hours? When are we right now?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #286 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:55 »

Hannelore: "Do you have any IDEA how much work I put into cleaning that disgusting couch?! How could you have the nerve to cover it with squeee?"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #287 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:57 »

If that's the case, the doorknob jumped from one side to the other in a single panel.  I'm thinking that's his bedroom. 
Hmmm.... I think it's the front door, and by panel 3 they've rotated 180 around each other and the POV is now from the hallway.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #288 on: 04 Feb 2015, 20:58 »

Did Faye spend a whole night in the hospital, or just a few hours? When are we right now?

The day after she got hammered.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #289 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:01 »

Well it was early morning to afternoon when she was fired and daylight when Hanners came out and talked to Dora.
In between Marten got off work and came home (but apparently didn't stop at the coffee shop in between Faye being fired and going home) so my guess is that it is the same day as he might have been stopping at home during his lunch break or only working a half day.

But we just don't know
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #290 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:01 »

You all may recall what Marten said when Claire asked if he was OK with her being trans: he mentioned how natural it felt to snuggle her. Yes, cuddles with Claire are just what a tired Marten needs at the moment, and it doesn't have to lead to immediate carnality (though it might). Whichever it is, it's not going to be nervous fumbling, I'm guessing.

I'm wondering if ClaireMom is OK with daughter having a sleepover.

Warning - while you were dawdling on the keyboard three other things got posted. You may wish to review your post. Of course if you do, your post may fall victim to a variant of Zeno's paradox.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #291 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:07 »

my guess is that it is the same day as he might have been stopping at home during his lunch break or only working a half day.

If that were so then why would Marten have bags under his eyes? I'm thinking Faye did a full overnight at the hospital, and was probably not released until the following afternoon. (I've been in hospital; they are not that swift at releasing you once you've been admitted.) Assuming the schism happened on a Friday morning, then this is Saturday evening.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #292 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:09 »

my guess is that it is the same day as he might have been stopping at home during his lunch break or only working a half day.

If that were so then why would Marten have bags under his eyes? I'm thinking Faye did a full overnight at the hospital, and was probably not released until the following afternoon. (I've been in hospital; they are not that swift at releasing you once you've been admitted.) Assuming the schism happened on a Friday morning, then this is Saturday evening.
Stress? Although that's a very good point you raise and I'm just offering a token reason. I think you're probably right
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #293 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:10 »

Given how far out she was, that makes the most sense.  Could even be days later if she had to go through medically supervised detox.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #294 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:11 »

Sounds about right.  She's need a good bit of both time and IV fluids to be out of the woods from alcohol poisoning. 

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #295 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:14 »

I'm wondering if ClaireMom is OK with daughter having a sleepover.

She's twenty-four! ClaireMom probably can't push her out the door fast enough.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #296 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:29 »

Hmmm.... I think it's the front door, and by panel 3 they've rotated 180 around each other and the POV is now from the hallway.
That doesn't really make sense, though. That would involve Marten stepping out of the apartment, kissing Claire while simultaneously turning her around, then backing her back -into- the apartment, if we look at the doors themselves and whether they open in or out respective to the couple.. Doable, but extremely awkward, especially since Jeph is usually decent at depicting movement.

It makes far more sense, flow-wise, that Claire stepped in, the kiss happens, and they then migrated their way into (presumably) a bedroom.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #297 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:35 »

It makes far more sense, flow-wise, that Claire stepped in, the kiss happens, and they then migrated their way into (presumably) a bedroom.

Plot twist: it's the broom closet.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #298 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:37 »

Isn't that where he'd lock Pintsize up (assuming he's working again) before she came over?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #299 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:39 »

Isn't that where he'd lock Pintsize up (assuming he's working again) before she came over?

Further plot twist: Faye hears moaning from the closet, which turns out to be Pintsize's cooling fan, muffled by a down jacket.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up