THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 690307 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #3250 on: 21 Aug 2020, 14:00 »

Gotta love a book for kids giving straight up incorrect information.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3252 on: 24 Aug 2020, 09:00 »

Reminds me of a card game called "give me the brain" - featured zombie fast food workers who only had one brain to pass around between them, and making food orders with  increasingly random substitutions as the store ran out of ingredients.  The rules were in Czechloslovakian.  Nobody playing could speak or read them.  It was loads of fun.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #3254 on: 04 Sep 2020, 22:35 »

I recently acquired a Wacom Intuos art tablet. It has four buttons that you can bind to any keystroke or command and use outside of art applications. Today, I figured out that you can bind multiple keystrokes to the same button, up to an unreasonably large number that I haven't found yet. I made the third button, when pressed, type "Gnabber" followed by enter eight times in a row, then went into a few different text conversations with various friends and spammed it five or six times. It was...distressingly effective, outputting forty or fifty messages every second. Demonstration (one button press):
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Gnabber
Needless to say, I have no friends now.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3255 on: 06 Sep 2020, 02:31 »

When I was at university, some time ago now, we each had an account on a *nix system for assignments. I had a part time job changing tape reels for overnight backups. I had a lot of spare time, so I'd log into the computer system via acoustic coupler, sometimes for the purposes of working on assignments, sometimes simply to chat. Needless to say, the connection speed was pretty slow. I don't remember the speed. Probably 1200 baud.

At some point, some of us students realised that our tty devices were globally writable, and so we could send stuff to each other's terminals without bothering with programs like write or msg.

So one day, a friend of mine thought it would be funny to type the following command (inventing a device name corresponding to my terminal for the purposes of illustration):

$ cat /etc/wisdom >/dev/tty123

This sent the wisdom file over my slow modem connection to my computer screen. The wisdom file was quite a large text file. So this took many minutes to complete, during which time I couldn't realistically do anything except wait for it to finish.

He did genuinely apologise afterwards, I'll give you that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3256 on: 06 Sep 2020, 07:21 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Morituri

« Reply #3257 on: 06 Sep 2020, 09:28 »

Needs another frame for Mi-go brain canisters.

And another for... I dunno what their actual name is, but the spores that "pod people" grow from.  Their spores don't FTL, they just take a long time to arrive.  Same for Triffid seeds.

Patience is really underrated relative to other ways of getting around the stars.  It seems like nobody wants to see the places between the places.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3258 on: 06 Sep 2020, 10:04 »

Now, who was it that said "Space is very, very, very, very, very, very, very big"?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3259 on: 06 Sep 2020, 10:16 »

The Hitchhiker's Guide maybe?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3260 on: 06 Sep 2020, 11:38 »

You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3261 on: 06 Sep 2020, 15:08 »

Still my favorite method of space travel

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3262 on: 07 Sep 2020, 01:59 »

Now, who was it that said "Space is very, very, very, very, very, very, very big"?

Well, the moment you start looking at subatomic levels (like electrons, protons wnd neutrons), even dense matter becomes a place of a lot of space, like throwing an asteroid in the direction of a solar system. Within a galaxy, it probably will hit something, but not necessarily the very planet you may have aimed for.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Morituri

« Reply #3263 on: 07 Sep 2020, 17:11 »

I'm not sure that's true.  If we launch something at some speed in excess of galactic escape velocity in a random-ish direction, I think the odds actually favor it leaving the galaxy before it has a meaningful encounter with anything.

cybersmurf

« Reply #3264 on: 07 Sep 2020, 22:08 »

I'm not sure that's true.  If we launch something at some speed in excess of galactic escape velocity in a random-ish direction, I think the odds actually favor it leaving the galaxy before it has a meaningful encounter with anything.

Yeah, well, it's probabilities. The more stuff it comes close-ish to, the higher the chance of hitting something - and that's kinda my point. Probabilities and chances, and a whole lot of nothingness.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3265 on: 08 Sep 2020, 01:57 »

Heads Up

Wait wha-

Morituri

« Reply #3266 on: 21 Sep 2020, 20:03 »

I feel like somehow, maybe sometime around 1981 or so, we made a mistake, and we're in the wrong 2020.

Could we please back up, get a do-over, and try for the 2020 that Syd Mead used to send us postcards from?

(sigh.  RIP Syd Mead, illustrator and visual futurist.  He left this world in December 2019.  Might have been a very early COVID death, but probably not).

EDIT: Definitely not.  Lymphoma.  Still....  it's a shame when a visionary passes.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2020, 20:10 by Morituri »

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3267 on: 22 Sep 2020, 12:25 »

The mistake was ever starting sedentary culture in the first place.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #3268 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:26 »

Well, that is correct.

Not just random objects, even stars themselves can travel through galaxies without any close encounters, ever, for billions of years.

In a galaxy like ours, a star system measures in something like lighthours (Neptune is ~5 lighthours from the sun). While the distance between stars measures in lightyears (next star from the sun is currently 4.4 lightyears away, and the closest encouner with another star that we know of was still a lightyear away at closest approach).

Would it be otherwise, the sun would have already been stripped of its planets, because thats what would happen if a star gets too close to the solar system.
Carpe Diem

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3269 on: 07 Oct 2020, 16:29 »

Morituri

« Reply #3270 on: 09 Oct 2020, 23:20 »

In about a hundred trillion years, the very last stars will burn out and the universe will be plunged into cold and darkness.

Are you ready?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3271 on: 10 Oct 2020, 00:20 »

I’m not even ready for Monday.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #3272 on: 10 Oct 2020, 04:52 »

I wasn't even ready today.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Morituri

« Reply #3273 on: 10 Oct 2020, 09:20 »

I've just been trying to put 2020 into perspective.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3274 on: 10 Oct 2020, 09:29 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3275 on: 12 Oct 2020, 15:36 »

Are you ready?
I'm working on it. "Come now, monks, for I tell you all conditioned things are subject to decay. Strive on with heedfulness!" - The Lord Buddha's last words to his disciples.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3276 on: 12 Oct 2020, 16:15 »

Out of context, that'd make a really great battle cry.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cybersmurf

« Reply #3277 on: 13 Oct 2020, 11:38 »

Are you ready?

No, I'm not. But I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

I'm working on it. "Come now, monks, for I tell you all conditioned things are subject to decay. Strive on with heedfulness!" - The Lord Buddha's last words to his disciples.

That is one profound quote. Sounds like I should familiarise myself with Buddha and Buddhism ...
I definetly wasn't ready for that.

Morituri

« Reply #3278 on: 13 Oct 2020, 13:09 »

Gotta say, I like the way the Buddha rolls. 

My interpretation of it anyway.  I'm looking at this from a background in a different culture, and I don't know the traditions associated with the teachings elsewhere, so I may be interpreting it differently than Buddhists in any orthodox tradition have. 

But a substantial part of my interpretation of it, is to be every bit as serious as you really need to be about everything, and not one bit more serious than that.  That takes discipline, but that's how to be your best self.  My attention tends to get caught by the big loud thing (I guess everybody's does) and I need the reminder to not obsess on the big loud thing to the point of neglecting the smaller things that I can do or neglecting the relationships and relaxation that gives me the energy to do them.

I'm not pretending that's the whole of it.  Even my limited interpretation sees a lot more than that.  But that's the thing that I personally need to remember, because the way my attention works does tend to default to an obsessive mode that doesn't help much.  Gotta relax that white-knuckled grip on enormous things to the point where I can actually maintain my life and do what's in my power.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3279 on: 15 Oct 2020, 17:43 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3280 on: 17 Oct 2020, 07:26 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3281 on: 21 Oct 2020, 09:49 »

Spoiler for a drug reference:
(click to show/hide)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #3282 on: 21 Oct 2020, 13:00 »

As one who is of Icelandic descent, I am greatly amused.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3283 on: 21 Oct 2020, 13:13 »

It's from Stand Still, Stay Silent. I like it. I think I posted the language family tree from there in the English is weird thread before.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3284 on: 21 Oct 2020, 13:45 »

I have no Finnish ancestry, but I can feel for that cat.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3285 on: 21 Oct 2020, 17:21 »

Pretty close to the respective terms in German (and Dutch, I believe?), except for the terms for 'island' and 'fire'

(click to show/hide)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #3286 on: 21 Oct 2020, 17:27 »

I've added in the Dutch translations

(click to show/hide)
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3287 on: 22 Oct 2020, 01:15 »

Though, for home, there's a case to be made for thuis, especially if we're going for the same notion as Heimat.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #3288 on: 22 Oct 2020, 13:17 »

True.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3289 on: 22 Oct 2020, 14:27 »

Though, for home, there's a case to be made for thuis, especially if we're going for the same notion as Heimat.

'Heim' or 'Daheim' would be terms that can be used for one's domicle in German - though Haus, Zuhause (obvs related to huis and thuis) would be more common. I figured the Scandinatian languages would have similar derivates of 'Heim' for the similar purposes, and thus chose the term indicating one's 'home country'.

P.S. Why does Islandic have to stand in for the Vikings? What did poor Denmark do to anyone?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3290 on: 23 Oct 2020, 00:46 »

Obviously, something's rotten in the state of Denmark.  :roll:

Mostly because the language is still largely the same; being a bit more isolated, it didn't have much influences, and hence, less change. Old Norse and Icelandic are still mutually intelligible - which is not the case with Danish.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3291 on: 23 Oct 2020, 09:28 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3292 on: 23 Oct 2020, 12:17 »

Misheard lyrics for O Fortuna

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3293 on: 30 Oct 2020, 19:33 »

I found this fascinating and wanted to share.

I was only familiar with "The Wild Hunt" from the Warhammer fantasy game and the Witcher. It's pretty cool to get into the actual myths of the the real Wild Hunts that cultures where Europe, Japan, and Hawaii have similar stories. I am sure other cultures may have similar "Wild Hunt" stories too.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3294 on: 05 Nov 2020, 17:06 »

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Morituri

« Reply #3295 on: 05 Nov 2020, 18:33 »

Today I spent three completely unproductive hours with a patent attorney. 

I invented a technique.  The technique works (better than alternatives anyway).  I know exactly why I thought that it would.  I know what problem I had identified and why this technique does not suffer that problem.  And I cannot find any way to map that problem, or that reasoning, onto English words to explain the invention to other people. 

What was supposed to be a business meeting turned out to be more like an elaborate, embarrassing, frustrating disproof of Sapir-Whorf.

I don't know how many of you have ever played Zendo.  There's this moment where your brain has twigged on a pattern, and you can correctly identify groupings as being in accordance with the pattern or not, but you have not yet found a way to articulate the pattern. Where you can correctly mark group after group after group, but you can't state what rule classifies them?  I.  Am.  Living.  In.  That.  Moment. 

On the plus side it was nice to not be thinking about elections today.

cybersmurf

« Reply #3296 on: 06 Nov 2020, 08:59 »

I wonder how many patents were not registered because somebody couldn't put it into words well enough.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #3297 on: 06 Nov 2020, 16:28 »

I have my own "could it be a patent, or is it a process that lies outside the system?" thing. Haven't touched it in a few years, though. Interesting process.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3298 on: 06 Nov 2020, 19:30 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70   Go Up