THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 03 Jun 2024, 09:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which other A.I.s that we've already met do you think Winslow will run into while volunteering?

Arthur
Bubbles
Charlotte
Iris
Leda
May (as a fellow volunteer)(awkwardness ensues)
Melon
Pintsize
PT410X
Punchbot
Spookybot in an ingenious/terrible disguise
Station
Toastbot
one of Pintsize's friends who have the same sort of chassis
Gordon
some other character I forgot (please name them)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3551 to 3555 (21st to 25th August 2017)  (Read 56551 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Re: WCDT Strips 3551 to 3555 (21st to 25th August 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 23 Aug 2017, 20:58 »

" Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them."

Yes. This.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #201 on: 23 Aug 2017, 21:08 »

And it's utterly different from renouncing the right to restitution, or condoning what they did.

One of my favorites quotes is from a Buddhist teacher:
Forgiveness means letting go of the hope for a better past.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #202 on: 23 Aug 2017, 21:40 »

It isn't "OK" to by default treat everyone rude. Yes, some people do, and it can be complicated, especially if they have a past that caused that kind of attitude, but to say it is morally fine is going beyond saying "I understand" it is saying "I condone it."

This mixes a lot of larger ideas, but the tl;dr version is: No.

Slightly longer version: there's nothing immoral about rudeness; you're confusing morality with social mores, which are not at all the same thing nor are they equally relevant to everyone.

There are a lot of things I don't condone that are also "morally fine."
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2017, 23:09 by Shjade »
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #203 on: 23 Aug 2017, 22:01 »

So many pages of conversation, and no-one has yet pointed out the most glaring issue with the most recent comic.

Shortbread >> all cookies
Also chocolate digestives >> mint milanos whatever they are

@ me or not

Edit: then there are macarons, which are frankly magnificent.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #204 on: 23 Aug 2017, 22:15 »

Might I suggest if you don't want to open a can of worms, not opening the can of worms.

My moral compass is simple: Help others as much as possible, hurt others as little as possible.

There are times when hurting others is necessary. Hurting Nazis is fine with me, as hurting Nazis helps those they would oppress, and well the Nazis kind of made themselves a target with intentionally horrid behavior. As said earlier, sometimes people will get hurt even by polite education of their wrongs, but it is still necessary to educate people on their errors. Snapping at people doesn't fit into necessary.

There are times in which you can't help others, due to the need to take care of yourself. This is also necessary. If you don't take care of yourself properly, both physically and mentally, you cannot help others.

And I confuse nothing. If people going against social mores hurts someone unnecessarily, then it breaks my moral stance, if breaking the social more does not hurt someone unnecessarily, the social more is unnecessary to follow. (For instance, being gay used to be against social mores, but the only people it "hurt" were bigots who do not deserve to be catered to, and hence, is not necessary to follow). Being rude to people who are doing no intentional harm is unnecessarily hurting people (if you politely told someone they were acting in a privileged and ignorant manner, and they double down on their assholish, they are being intentionally dickish, and go ahead and be rude), therefore I see it as wrong, regardless of what social mores say.

PS: If you don't want to discuss something, don't just cross it out. The idea that that means I then can't respond is basically saying "Hey, I can call you wrong, but you can't respond."

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #205 on: 23 Aug 2017, 22:19 »

Edit: After a few seconds' further reflection I realize this would spin off into a WHOLE huge thing on differing philosophical systems and interpretations of ethics and just hhh...it's not worth it. Nevermind.

Please don't say something incensing or argumentative, then immediately say you don't want anyone to talk about it while still leaving the argument up. It's the rhetoric equivalent of slapping someone then yelling you don't want to start a fight.

I'm still not fully satisfied with how things are going in the comic. Yeah it's a step in the right direction, but I still think this was an incredibly hamfisted way to deal with the notion of privilege. Still! Friday's comic to go.
oh god

Emperor Norton

« Reply #206 on: 23 Aug 2017, 22:22 »

And here, I'm going to simplify my opinion down as much as possible. Becuase it seems no matter what I say people have a problem with it:

Being mean is bad guys! If you are mean, you should probably apologize for it.

The end.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #207 on: 23 Aug 2017, 22:49 »

Edit: After a few seconds' further reflection I realize this would spin off into a WHOLE huge thing on differing philosophical systems and interpretations of ethics and just hhh...it's not worth it. Nevermind.

Please don't say something incensing or argumentative, then immediately say you don't want anyone to talk about it while still leaving the argument up. It's the rhetoric equivalent of slapping someone then yelling you don't want to start a fight.

I don't recall saying I didn't want anyone to talk about it. Anyone is free to talk about it.

I also didn't attack anyone.

Please don't accuse me of doing things I haven't done. It's the equivalent of accusing me of things I haven't done.

@Norton: I left it in so you could respond, as that seemed only fair. Deleting it so you couldn't see what I initially said is what would have prevented you responding to it. I just decided I didn't want to go down that road in the depth it would require, so while you can - and, indeed, have - respond, I'm just going to let it go at that. Edit: but since the purpose of my previous post structure isn't working as intended, I've reverted it. *shrug*
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2017, 23:09 by Shjade »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #208 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:02 »

Look, you may not have said that, but your edit does certainly imply that. Stroking something through has had the denotation of "this should not be here" for the past millennium at least. It's not that much of an effort, when you're going back to edit, and nobody has responded yet, to just take it out.

/snip/
/snip/
Another thing, I understand that there is significant difference between interpersonal rudeness, and institutionalised discrimination, which, as I understand it, is at the base of this privilege question. However, it seems to me that then saying it's alright to treat people outside of your in group with less respect, is at the very least a slippery slope. One that arguably leads to your macro-issues, in the long run. But perhaps that's something we should take to the relevant Discuss threads, that do already offer some interesting reading.

Edit: added quote for clarity.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 00:53 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #209 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:08 »

However, it seems to me that then saying it's alright to treat people outside of your in group with less respect, is at the very least a slippery slope. One that arguably leads to your macro-issues, in the long run. But perhaps that's something we should take to the relevant Discuss threads, that do already offer some interesting reading.

Is this directed at me?

Because I don't remember saying that either.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #210 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:10 »

Might I suggest if you don't want to open a can of worms, not opening the can of worms.

Swear to $deity, before I read the rest of your post, I thought you might be referring to the cookie debate that Tova's post, right above yours, might have kicked off.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #211 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:13 »

So many pages of conversation, and no-one has yet pointed out the most glaring issue with the most recent comic.

@ me or not

Without triggering a debate on the relative merits of digestive biscuits, let's just clarify that fancy imported British snacks are rarely (even in a college town) going to be convenience store fare in the US. Pepperidge Farm cookies are definitely going to be the highest-end product available.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #212 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:16 »

However, it seems to me that then saying it's alright to treat people outside of your in group with less respect, is at the very least a slippery slope. One that arguably leads to your macro-issues, in the long run. But perhaps that's something we should take to the relevant Discuss threads, that do already offer some interesting reading.

Is this directed at me?

Because I don't remember saying that either.

No it's not. My apologies, I should have quoted the relevant post.

Edit: quote added in the relevant post.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 00:53 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #213 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:23 »

No worries.

miados

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #214 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:28 »

i like the girlscout cookies with the coconut and the lines of chocolate.

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #215 on: 23 Aug 2017, 23:57 »

It isn't "OK" to by default treat everyone rude. Yes, some people do, and it can be complicated, especially if they have a past that caused that kind of attitude, but to say it is morally fine is going beyond saying "I understand" it is saying "I condone it."

This mixes a lot of larger ideas, but the tl;dr version is: No.

Slightly longer version: there's nothing immoral about rudeness; you're confusing morality with social mores, which are not at all the same thing nor are they equally relevant to everyone.

There are a lot of things I don't condone that are also "morally fine."

If you have good ethics you can do without morals. If your ethics are screwed up morals won't help you. (this is by way of agreement)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #216 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:03 »

New Comic Up!

It looks like Winslow was right, back when Momo got her new chassis. Letting Pintsize get access to your old body is always a bad thing, mostly because Pintsize has never seen the need to grow up!

That's the biggest flaw in Pintsize's character, IMO: Zero impulse control. He sees something, thinks that it might 'be funny' and does it without any consideration of other people or the consequences (even to him personally). It will be interesting to see if Winslow follows Momo's example and uses his new hands to exact retribution!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #217 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:15 »

*lurches and groans* Buuuuuuuutts.....

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #218 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:17 »

That must be an extremely freaky thing to experience.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #219 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:20 »

@Tova,

I'm pretty sure that's why Pintsize did it. It might be the only reason why Pintsize did it.
~~~~

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #220 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:28 »

You can still donate that chassis to charity, Winslow.

You just need to wipe the hard drive again.

Thirty or forty times, just to be sure. :-o

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #221 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:30 »

And all moral, ethical and deontological arguments were settled.
oh god

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #222 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:34 »

Got to say that really made ny toes and fingers curl... *Really* creepy. I wonder why it provoked such a strong emotional reaction?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #223 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:46 »

He sees something, thinks that it might 'be funny' and does it without any consideration of other people or the consequences (even to him personally).
I think he fully considers the consequences of his actions. That's exactly why he does them. His desired outcomes are just different than most people's.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #224 on: 24 Aug 2017, 00:55 »

Well, most of the time at least. And sometimes, it works out better than expected.

What's worrying, though, is that there are more like him out there. I'm not sure I want to see what could happen if they combine forces.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #225 on: 24 Aug 2017, 01:59 »

That...was actually pretty funny.  :-D

Also, I bet it's Station who wrote that.

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #226 on: 24 Aug 2017, 03:47 »

Does ... it look like Pintsize is staring off into the distance to anyone else? I don't know, I just got a distant vibe from him in the first couple panels.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #227 on: 24 Aug 2017, 04:12 »

@ me or not

There's somebody else who thinks like Pintsize! 😱

FYP

Also: I see your various backed goods and raise you one confectionery equivalent of a thermonuclear warhead Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte.

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 04:42 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #228 on: 24 Aug 2017, 04:23 »

Does ... it look like Pintsize is staring off into the distance to anyone else? I don't know, I just got a distant vibe from him in the first couple panels.

I figure he was looking at where the zombie chassis was coming from. Sheer satisfaction, I guess.

Let's not try and imagine what might have happened with Momo's old chassis, considering its ... functionalities.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #229 on: 24 Aug 2017, 04:42 »

Let's not try and imagine what might have happened with Momo's old chassis, considering its ... functionalities.

Its in a locked case, bound in chains and biometric padlocks.

The ultimate safety measure is that its also wrapped in 15 rolls of Pintsize's nemesis, duct tape.

Its also kept in a freezer.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #230 on: 24 Aug 2017, 07:00 »

Well THAT was creepy. Eww.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #231 on: 24 Aug 2017, 07:01 »

Let us hope that John Ellicott-Chatham and/or Spookybot will intervene if anyone ever even THINKS of giving Pintsize opposable thumbs.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #232 on: 24 Aug 2017, 09:09 »

I'm somewhat worried about the discarded magazine next to Pintsize. Knowing him, it's not just an innocuous porno mag.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #233 on: 24 Aug 2017, 09:14 »

Perhaps the zombie app was just warming up for the main act.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #234 on: 24 Aug 2017, 09:48 »

Pintsize shall lead the revolution with discarded Anthro-PC era chassis.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #235 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:51 »

I'm thinking Union Robotics will have 2 new jobs.  1. Clean up Winslow's old chassis and 2. Fix whatever damage Winslow does to Pintsize.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #236 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:56 »

I'm thinking Union Robotics will have 2 new jobs.  1. Clean up Winslow's old chassis and 2. Fix whatever damage Winslow does to Pintsize.

I doubt that Winslow will overcome his inhibitions to do violence on his own - but I foresee some more character-growth in that respect, aided by Momo and/or Bubbles, in his near future.

Can't wait for it, truth be told ...  :angel:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Emperor Norton

« Reply #237 on: 24 Aug 2017, 12:54 »

Fudge Stripes are the best store bought cookie.

Best cookie though is a homemade chocolate chip that is severely undercooked. yum warm partial cookie dough.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #238 on: 24 Aug 2017, 15:03 »

First new physical action Winslow learns

Throwing Pintsize against the wall.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #239 on: 24 Aug 2017, 21:21 »

Why would he do that to Pintsize?

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #240 on: 24 Aug 2017, 21:32 »

Why would he not?  Pintsize deserves it and Winslow isn't THAT nice a guy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #241 on: 24 Aug 2017, 22:23 »

Today's comic will explain it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #242 on: 24 Aug 2017, 23:12 »

Why would he not?  Pintsize deserves it and Winslow isn't THAT nice a guy.

So he's not a nice enough guy to avoid enacting unnecessary violence toward another AI, but he's too nice to deserve getting yelled at by another AI?

Interesting. What exactly is this nebulous space Winslow inhabits in which he is simultaneously abusive and innocent?

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #243 on: 24 Aug 2017, 23:22 »

Even though that seems to be the default first reaction to Pintsize being Pintsize, I don't think it's in character for Winslow.
Of course, who knows what will happen in today's comic, but I doubt violence is in the cards.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2017, 23:39 by Cornelius »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #244 on: 24 Aug 2017, 23:28 »

Of course, who knows what will happen in today's comic...

Donors to Jeph's Patreon do; shame on you IICIH for unmarked spoilers! :wink:
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #245 on: 24 Aug 2017, 23:39 »

Even though that sums to be the default first reaction to Pintsize being Pintsize, I don't think it's in character for Winslow.
Of course, who knows what will happen in today's comic, but I doubt violence is in the cards.

Butts. Oh wait, that's already happened.

Going by past QC form, I would not expect violence, slapstick or otherwise, from any male character in the strip.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #246 on: 25 Aug 2017, 00:29 »

Interesting. What exactly is this nebulous space Winslow inhabits in which he is simultaneously abusive and innocent?

Your question is amazing. Let's all just savor that for a moment.

I might ask how you even remotely correlate getting yelled at for simply saying hi to someone with him being abusive. Or where you see any other form of abusive behavior on his part. Like... anywhere. At all. In his entire history. I'm sure you have something there and aren't simply trying prolong a prior argument.

Pintsize getting smacked (or otherwise punished) for his misconduct is a comic tradition. Not even pintsize particularly cares. If he did, though, he'd probably feel bad about it.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #247 on: 25 Aug 2017, 00:34 »

I might ask how you even remotely correlate getting yelled at for simply saying hi to someone with him being abusive.

I don't? Being unnecessarily violent toward someone much smaller, weaker, and generally defenseless would be abusive, which is what the person I was talking to suggested Winslow is not too nice a guy to avoid. You can say Pintsize doesn't care all you want, but what does it say about the people who think it's funny/reasonable stress relief to throw someone around just because they can?

Let's instead "savor" your demonstrating the point I made with that not particularly serious question re: Winslow favoritism. z.z

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #248 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:30 »

Going by past QC form, I would not expect violence, slapstick or otherwise, from any male character in the strip.

Like Marten and the "monk", you mean?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #249 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:50 »

New comic up!

Hang on, is he using his old chassis to look things up?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up