THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will happen this week? (Select two options)

Cute Faybles pillow talk
- 30 (23.3%)
Awkward Faybles pillow talk
- 18 (14%)
The backlash starts - Not everyone is happy with the news
- 6 (4.7%)
Marten and Claire try to congratulate the new couple; this could go well or badly!
- 17 (13.2%)
Pintsize should have learned his lesson when Bubbles crushed his head!
- 6 (4.7%)
Tortura spends five strips berating Steve for not making an honest woman of Cossette (over cereal)
- 8 (6.2%)
Roko and Melon having an ironic conversation (not that they know it) about whether humans could ever be romantically interested in AIs
- 13 (10.1%)
Dora and Tai have a cute argument over who saw it coming first
- 5 (3.9%)
Brun is confused about why Elliott and Clinton are so awkward around her. Renee tries to explain
- 23 (17.8%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)  (Read 83475 times)

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)
« Reply #250 on: 23 May 2018, 08:44 »

What does "PDA" stand for in this context? It's certainly not the bar-code scanners we use at work nor any of the other old-timey appliance called "personal digital assistants" (I think)...

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster
« Reply #251 on: 23 May 2018, 08:46 »

When I say make people uncomfortable, I meant full on making out, groping, and so on, not a peck.

It's gonna be tough because they're in the exciting, butterflies stage of their relationship, but they'll have to figure out how to keep their hands off each other.

Granted, some would just giggle if they saw them like that--Tai, Dora and Claire being good examples. But others would be like "ummmm..."  Not about them being two women, or a human and an AI, but simply the awkwardness of two people all over each other.

-blush-

That first sentence makes me blush:) and I'm completely with you on that. Sketch comedy hs poked fun at extreme PDA since Monty Python and yes that would be very awkward!

My response when I see that kind of thing with two people ostensibly of the same gender is to giggle like a 4 year old but yes indeed that is awkward!

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #252 on: 23 May 2018, 08:53 »

What does "PDA" stand for in this context? It's certainly not the bar-code scanners we use at work nor any of the other old-timey appliance called "personal digital assistants" (I think)...

Public Display of Affection.

namelips

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #253 on: 23 May 2018, 09:02 »

how many times in the past have we seen the scar on Faye's chest? This is the first time I noticed it.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #254 on: 23 May 2018, 09:07 »

how many times in the past have we seen the scar on Faye's chest? This is the first time I noticed it.

quite a while... http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=307
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #255 on: 23 May 2018, 09:13 »

Faye isn't particularly self-conscious about the scar. We tend to see it whenever she's wearing a top with a low-cut neck.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #256 on: 23 May 2018, 09:27 »

Hmmm...
Maybe there is more for them to talk about than we first thought.

However much we've discussed and debated how much of a *norm* a Human/AI relationship is, and the many different viewpoints we've seen (mainly AIs being interested in humans and not reall y vice-versa)... there is an added social problem...

The fact that (until recently?) AI/Human coupling was illegal !!
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1900
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 00:51 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #257 on: 23 May 2018, 09:36 »

Today's comic seems almost bittersweet, as in:
"Yeah, sooner or later we have to come to the serious part... but not yet..!"

I read it as carried-away sexual feelings. It's a hazardous state to be in. I'm glad those two are getting to experience it.

"Yeah, sooner or later, but there's something I really want to do together first, and we're already naked"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #258 on: 23 May 2018, 09:45 »

Faye isn't particularly self-conscious about the scar. We tend to see it whenever she's wearing a top with a low-cut neck.

The scar is a plot point. Before The Talk with Marten she dodged questions about it.

Will Bubbles ask about it? She might think of a scar on a civilian as something she didn't expect.

On another subject, they've been sharing a room, and Faye was probably thinking of Bubbles as one of those people you can change clothes in front of without sending the wrong message. It could have been emotionally awkward for Bubbles. Maybe she turned her back, but that would not comply with the Principle of Maximum Awkwardness, and Faye might have though it odd.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #259 on: 23 May 2018, 10:55 »

A couple of points on relative AI mass:  Momo is light enough that an average person can lift her.  She's also short and slender, same as Winslow - I know a person who is less than 5 feet tall, and they have trouble keeping themselves above 90 pounds.  Bubbles is well north of 6 feet, possibly approaching 7, and BUILT.  Andre Roussimoff only hit 7'4", and he exceeded 500 lbs easily. Also, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3150 - Bubbles has serious mass, and not all of that is the armor.  Either that, or Emily is as diffuse physically as she is mentally and thus gets blown along the streets like an untethered kite.

Yes she had a lot of mass there however she was also wearing her armor which probably more than doubled her weight.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #260 on: 23 May 2018, 11:17 »

Today's comic seems almost bittersweet, as in:
"Yeah, sooner or later we have to come to the serious part... but not yet..!"

I read it as carried-away sexual feelings. It's a hazardous state to be in. I'm glad those two are getting to experience it.

"Yeah, sooner or later, but there's something I really want to do together first, and we're already naked"

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.  :-D

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #261 on: 23 May 2018, 11:27 »

Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ....

Ya know, I also wondered why Bubbles hasn't been venting coolant lately.

We've seen Roko and Bubbles vent (can't recall any other AI venting offhand... maybe Momo when she ran into Sven?) and I think they might only vent when they're conflicted, or are at least temporarily unable to choose the next words or actions - they literally have processors or banks of processors running in opposite directions or looping back and forth or something, so there's some local overheating while the processors work frantically to sort it out. Or something like that. Maybe it would be better described as embarrassment (but then again having no idea of your next action is part of being embarrassed.)

Obviously, Bubbles' emotions are at a very high pitch lately, but they're running the same direction. She's certainly not conflicted or unable to choose what to do next, so no venting. (Roko vented pretty hard when Renee called her out on her bread fetish; she embarrassed and at a loss as to what to do. Ultimately, she bought a bunch of bread and ran away.)

That's my pet theory about venting, anyway; it's triggered by a specific circumstance or condition, not just strong emotion. We'll see whether it holds up.

Just one of those nerdy little details that's fun to ponder, and makes the AI characters a little more real.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #262 on: 23 May 2018, 12:01 »

Will Bubbles ask about it? She might think of a scar on a civilian as something she didn't expect.

Why not? Humans are soft and squishy and we get scars all the time. It's certainly not limited to people who have had military service. In fact, it would probably be more surprising to find someone without at least some minor scar at Faye's age and chosen profession of metalworking.

Undrneath

« Reply #263 on: 23 May 2018, 12:08 »

Why not? Humans are soft and squishy and we get scars all the time. It's certainly not limited to people who have had military service. In fact, it would probably be more surprising to find someone without at least some minor scar at Faye's age and chosen profession of metalworking.

I would be surprised if Bubbles doesn't know at least the basics about Faye's tragic past.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #264 on: 23 May 2018, 12:41 »

A couple of points on relative AI mass:  Momo is light enough that an average person can lift her.  She's also short and slender, same as Winslow - I know a person who is less than 5 feet tall, and they have trouble keeping themselves above 90 pounds.  Bubbles is well north of 6 feet, possibly approaching 7, and BUILT.  Andre Roussimoff only hit 7'4", and he exceeded 500 lbs easily. Also, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3150 - Bubbles has serious mass, and not all of that is the armor.  Either that, or Emily is as diffuse physically as she is mentally and thus gets blown along the streets like an untethered kite.

Yes she had a lot of mass there however she was also wearing her armor which probably more than doubled her weight.

Square-cube law.  Bubbles has a LOT more volume than her armor; in fact her armor's profile isn't much more bulky than standard-issue police Kevlar, albeit in a full suit style.  Even made of a very dense material and backed by ceramic or steel plates, it's a big stretch to it equalling her own mass - as a comparison, EOD suits don't even crack 100 lbs.

I'll also drop in that I'm a broad-shouldered, 6'2" person of dubious but not abysmal physical fitness, and I'm still tapdancing with 300 personally.  If someone of Emily's height and build took a flying hammer to my chest, there's no way in HELL I'd remain standing, much less not even sway from the impact, purely because of the laws of physics.  Bubbles is stronger, taller, broader-shouldered, and designed to be durable in combat.  That comes at a cost in weight.  She's AT LEAST 400, probably closer to 500. 

A_Reasonable_Man

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #265 on: 23 May 2018, 12:42 »

It’s great to see Faye is enjoying her new hookup with the literal engine of imperialst murder!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #266 on: 23 May 2018, 12:56 »

Is that what you think of people who sign up to protect your liberty?  Sure, the military command make some questionable decisions at times (usually under political pressure, so let's point the finger at the right guys), but the grunts are there to do what is necessary for their country above all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #267 on: 23 May 2018, 13:26 »

In the MMO fanforums I used to moderate I woulda banned an obvious troll like that with a roll of my eyes, and i had a reputation as one of the most lenient mods

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #268 on: 23 May 2018, 13:48 »

Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ....

We've seen Roko and Bubbles vent (can't recall any other AI venting offhand... maybe Momo when she ran into Sven?) and I think they might only vent when they're conflicted, or are at least temporarily unable to choose the next words or actions - they literally have processors or banks of processors running in opposite directions or looping back and forth or something, so there's some local overheating while the processors work frantically to sort it out. Or something like that. Maybe it would be better described as embarrassment (but then again having no idea of your next action is part of being embarrassed.)

Obviously, Bubbles' emotions are at a very high pitch lately, but they're running the same direction. She's certainly not conflicted or unable to choose what to do next, so no venting. (Roko vented pretty hard when Renee called her out on her bread fetish; she embarrassed and at a loss as to what to do. Ultimately, she bought a bunch of bread and ran away.)

That's my pet theory about venting, anyway; it's triggered by a specific circumstance or condition, not just strong emotion. We'll see whether it holds up.

Just one of those nerdy little details that's fun to ponder, and makes the AI characters a little more real.

Momo has been shown to vent also while ready sexy stories that Hannelore had lent to her, I believe. Also, in "angry-embarrassment" she has zapped May, but that was a one time thing and May had it coming. Consequently, she has also answered the question about "Humans + AI = is it weird or OK within the QC world?" for us already--when she was chatting with Sam about kissing and boys. Sam asked if AI and humans ever hooked up and the reply was, more or less that it's not unheard of, but pretty uncommon. And that was mostly for reasons like what constitutes attraction for humans versus AI, physical composition and compatibility, physical sensation interpretation differences, etc.
DO NOT TAINT PEGASUS COVE WITH TALK OF DILDOS

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #269 on: 23 May 2018, 14:00 »

Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ....

Momo has been shown to vent also while ready sexy stories that Hannelore had lent to her, I believe. Also, in "angry-embarrassment" she has zapped May, but that was a one time thing and May had it coming. Consequently, she has also answered the question about "Humans + AI = is it weird or OK within the QC world?" for us already--when she was chatting with Sam about kissing and boys. Sam asked if AI and humans ever hooked up and the reply was, more or less that it's not unheard of, but pretty uncommon. And that was mostly for reasons like what constitutes attraction for humans versus AI, physical composition and compatibility, physical sensation interpretation differences, etc.

Specifically, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2958 - she vents from her ears, not her neck, but it's still fweee.

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #270 on: 23 May 2018, 14:01 »

Specifically, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2958 - she vents from her ears, not her neck, but it's still fweee.

Thank you. I have neither the talent nor the patience to look such things up.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #271 on: 23 May 2018, 14:18 »

Potentially interesting plotline: Faye's mom.

She didn't react well to Amanda being lesbian at first (although that had a lot to do with circumstance surrounding when and how she found out).  She came around quickly, but it was still a coming around process.  How is she going to react to her other daughter not only being in a same-sex relationship, but a relationship with an AI?

I don't know if that's a story Jeph cares to tell, but if he *does* want to do a story about dealing with that kind of reaction...

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #272 on: 23 May 2018, 14:39 »

Potentially interesting plotline: Faye's mom.

She didn't react well to Amanda being lesbian at first (although that had a lot to do with circumstance surrounding when and how she found out).  She came around quickly, but it was still a coming around process.  How is she going to react to her other daughter not only being in a same-sex relationship, but a relationship with an AI?

I don't know if that's a story Jeph cares to tell, but if he *does* want to do a story about dealing with that kind of reaction...

I wonder how often he reads the forums, reads something and says "hmmm, well, okay, yeah, that's interesting/that has a point" and incorporates it?

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #273 on: 23 May 2018, 14:51 »

We may meet Faye’s mom for the first time. My feeling? She’s not going to react well to the relationship and she’s going to say some incredibly hurtful things. Faye won’t call her out on it and Bubbles will be mad and ask Faye whose side she’s on.

I can see Faye’s mom really causing some problems.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #274 on: 23 May 2018, 15:00 »

We have met Faye's mom! She seemed nice, but may not be super cool with the idea that Faye is dating a woman, let alone an AI woman. She wants grandchildren and Amanda sure isn't about to provide any.

Faye is crazier than a mule on a Ferris wheel.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #275 on: 23 May 2018, 16:18 »

Oh dammit. You're right. I apparently forget everything...

Did Amanda say she's never having kids?

Undrneath

« Reply #276 on: 23 May 2018, 16:27 »

I think it was more assumed but my archive-fu isn't exactly strong.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #277 on: 23 May 2018, 16:29 »

We have met Faye's mom! She seemed nice, but may not be super cool with the idea that Faye is dating a woman, let alone an AI woman. She wants grandchildren and Amanda sure isn't about to provide any.

Perhaps, but Faye’s mother doesn’t seem to be all that involved in her life.  They’re not estranged nor so attached that if she cut her off she’d be devastated.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)
« Reply #278 on: 23 May 2018, 16:41 »

Women in lesbian relationships can and do have kids. And as I recall from another comic that I can’t locate at the moment, Faye was at least open to the idea of having kids. All she needs is a sperm donor. And Bubbles would make a fantastic second mom.

That, however, is a story arc for the future. Possibly the future of an alternate universe.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #279 on: 23 May 2018, 16:52 »

I've imagined the conversation with her mom including "Mom, you have been so anxious about me. Nobody, absolutely nobody, could have my back like Bubbles. Please talk to her. I think you'll like her."

It says things about their immediate circle of friends that none of them is even startled at a mixed relationship. Not surprising things, but praiseworthy things.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Undrneath

« Reply #280 on: 23 May 2018, 16:53 »

Women in lesbian relationships can and do have kids. And as I recall from another comic that I can’t locate at the moment, Faye was at least open to the idea of having kids. All she needs is a sperm donor. And Bubbles would make a fantastic second mom.

That, however, is a story arc for the future. Possibly the future of an alternate universe.

WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY

And additionally "Fuck yeah two moms"
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #281 on: 23 May 2018, 16:55 »

Bubbles blushed so much that I was surprised that she was so comfortable being the way she's been. Those kisses were ...wow! And then, spooning. I wonder if Bubbles blushed all that time simply because she thought Faye didn't like her back. Because she felt embarrassed about her feelings. I've definitely felt that way before.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #282 on: 23 May 2018, 16:57 »

Hmm. Speaking of which, we've heard nothing from Marten's dad and stepdad lately!

Bring them back, Jeph!

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #283 on: 23 May 2018, 16:59 »

Most of the women I've known in lesbian marriages had children—either from a previous relationship or with their spouse via insemination or adoption.

Faye's (and probably Bubbles) still has much to figure out before she's ready to embark on parenthood...not that being "ready" actually deters some people.

Hey, a bit OT, but what would we call Faye's and Bubbles' relationship beyond lesbian/gay? Would it be robot/human or synthetic/organic or something else super inclusive for the situation?

I'd like to know out of curiosity, but I also want to make some fan art. :)

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #284 on: 23 May 2018, 17:01 »

They absolutely can and do. Not only do they have the option of having a sperm donor, they can also adopt, although that option is once again under attack. I only mentioned it because Faye's mom mentioned it as her only specific reason for disapproving of Amanda's sexuality and that I think it will come up again if she objects to Faye and Bubbles's relationship.

Hey, a bit OT, but what would we call Faye's and Bubbles' relationship beyond lesbian/gay? Would it be robot/human or synthetic/organic or something else super inclusive for the situation?

I'd like to know out of curiosity, but I also want to make some fan art. :)

There was a related conversation happening in this thread, but it meanders a bit. I like synthetic/organic myself.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2018, 17:12 by pecoros7 »

Undrneath

« Reply #285 on: 23 May 2018, 17:02 »

Furthermore there is my headcannon that Spookybot is Bubbles and Faye's offspring or descendant sent back from the future and is watching over their progenitors.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #286 on: 23 May 2018, 17:12 »

She could end up with tons of grandchildren for all she knows...

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #287 on: 23 May 2018, 17:16 »

New one's up, and Jeph pokes fun at us.  Brutally accurate fun.   :laugh:

SpanielBear

« Reply #288 on: 23 May 2018, 17:17 »

I feel chastened, yet unrepentant.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #289 on: 23 May 2018, 17:17 »

Marten/Claire and Dora/Tai are alternate universe versions of the same couple.

Edit to avoid double posting: Also I'm pretty sure in this strip the readers represent Jeph because we know. we know.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2018, 17:25 by zisraelsen »
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #290 on: 23 May 2018, 17:26 »

I feel chastened, yet unrepentant.

Saaaaame

Undrneath

« Reply #291 on: 23 May 2018, 17:26 »

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #292 on: 23 May 2018, 17:30 »

If anything happens to Union Robotics we know that Bubbles could be a pretty decent massage therapist. And Faye could teach metalworking classes.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #293 on: 23 May 2018, 17:31 »

Furthermore there is my headcannon that Spookybot is Bubbles and Faye's offspring or descendant sent back from the future and is watching over their progenitors.

My theory is that Spookybot was created by the military to control the Pintsize style combat chassis and that Bubbles's unit was charged with shutting them down if they went rogue. That's how the enemy forces were able to generate an emp specifically calibrated to disable Bubbles, sort of like a specific power Spookybot is known to possess. It would also explain why Bubbles knows how distributed AI function and why Spookybot expected her to know what they were. Spookybot took a liking to Bubbles during the operation and thus spared her during their escape.

Totally speculation. No support at all in the text. But I like it.

*New comic went up while I was posting*

Jeph has definitely been reading the forums...

Undrneath

« Reply #294 on: 23 May 2018, 17:36 »

Jeph has definitely been reading the forums...

I've seen him post now and again, he definitely reads the forums.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #295 on: 23 May 2018, 17:41 »

Well, I mean, I figured it was a given that he reads. Just curious if he's ever had a "that's cool let's do it" moment from reading some of the theory stuff that gets posted.

On a slightly similar note I always get a kick out of people saying "headcannon" instead of "headcanon" and so thus end up picturing someone with a giant cannon for a head. I suppose that could account for some folks blowing their top sometimes. /badpun

Undrneath

« Reply #296 on: 23 May 2018, 17:44 »

Oh I purposely perpetuate the use of headcannon over headcanon simply because I like the visual.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #297 on: 23 May 2018, 17:51 »

Oh I purposely perpetuate the use of headcannon over headcanon simply because I like the visual.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #298 on: 23 May 2018, 18:17 »

It's actually kind of funny but unsurprising to see Marten and Dora of a like mind on this.

I'm with them, in case it isn't completely obvious.  8-)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #299 on: 23 May 2018, 18:20 »

I have the STRONGEST urge to make a "Bubbles' Head-Cannon" joke but I will refrain. It is hard.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up