THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 11 Jun 2024, 21:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Types  (Read 18979 times)

nothingwitty

Stereo Types
« on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:32 »

So I was driving home from school the other day.  At  a red light I pulled up right along side this "pimped out" civic with ultra-black, tinted windows.  Inside the car was a skinny white kid blasting Ja Rule with his super-high bass .  He, of course, was wearing his baggy urban uniform that was seven or eight times too big for him.  You know, "Playaz 69" jersey, FUBU pants, backwards visor, etc.

Jeez, what a poor, misguided stereotype.  Then I looked at myself.

I was wearing my four year old, paint covered vans, courds from the local thrift store, an ugly button-up shirt from the mid-90s.  I was blasting The Decemberists in my shitty, 1991 Ford Tempo on my shitty, half-broken stero.  I have that poorly cut, shaggy, tasseled haircut.   I'm an English major.  I'm an indie-kid.

Now, I always kind of joked around about it with my friends.  I always knew I appreciated the delcious indie sounds... but this?  I didn't ever want to think I was so easy to drop into a sub-culture just by someone looking at me.  Crap, now what I do?

I mean, I could try to not be so stereotypical... but since it just kind of happened one day, and I never made the decision to be "an indie kid", wouldn't un-happening it make me a sell-out poser?  Am I being true to myself by wearing ugly shirts because it's ironic, or is it impossible to be true to one's self if they fit so well into a Stereo Type.

These are questions that are rocking the very foundation of my being.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Stereo Types
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2005, 12:38 »

Ironic clothing is lame. Sorry, but it just is.

But you should just wear what you're happy wearing. Why worry if someone can ascertain your musical tastes just by looking at you? People make various instantaneous judgements about you as soon as they see you. It's just the way our brains work, a means of quickly processing the vast amount of information the world constantly presents us with. So since you like indie, people are at least making a correct assumption and one I presume you're comfortable with.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Re: Stereo Types
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:03 »

Learn from Raven: you are more than just the way you dress.

Quote from: nothingwitty
Am I being true to myself by wearing ugly shirts because it's ironic, or is it impossible to be true to one's self if they fit so well into a Stereo Type.

My first reaction is: isn't being "true" via irony impossible by definition?

But my second and more serious reaction is: why is being true to oneself necessarily incompatible with fitting into a stereotype?  Indie-lovers' mannerisms started the stereotype; the stereotype did not start indie-lovers' mannerisms.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:03 »

being an indie kid is better then being a 'playa'

muffy

Stereo Types
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:09 »

true, and the inherent snobbery that plagues indie kids as a whole is merely another part of our charm.

We ARE better than everyone else, simply because we try that much harder to emulate tramp chic and spend that many more hours in second hand stores hunting out the rarest of rare Stone Roses b-sides and Velvet Underground rarities, to prove how superior we are.

Embrace your superiority complex!

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:11 »

yeah!

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:24 »

*Gets a battle axe* Don't make me go Black Metal on your stuck up asses!

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:26 »

oh yeah!?

ill kick your ass with our good lyrics and well structured songs

then i'll finish you off with a shotgun made of minimalism

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:29 »

You're claiming to do that to a Prog fan? That's just not gonna work? And minimalism, I listen to Drone as well. So that doesn't work either. Touche I say, touche :P

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:32 »

avast!

the boy has some mad skills tis true...

arrr

festerius

Stereo Types
« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2005, 13:52 »

I used to dress like a punk, when only about 10 kids out of 4,000 that went to my high school wore hoodies and most patches where home-made and all the other's you got from the merch area at concerts you went to... Long before the bastard Hot Topic started selling patches and stuff.

As soon as main stream people started wearing black hoodies and putting patches all over them and doing the same to their back packs and stuff, that is when I started to dress like a prep.

I still go to punk shows every once in a long while, but ever since, probably about 1997 I've dressed in slacks and polo-type shirts every where I go... including when ever I go to a Punk show.

muffy

Stereo Types
« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:08 »

I remember being really self conscious at a Meteors show - there were all these punks with their patches and mohawks and huge, muscley tatooed arms, and I was stood there thinking 'shit, they know I'm not punk, they know I'm one of those soft indie kids who listens to sad music who'd probably cry if they saw a mosh pit...they're gonna lynch me'.
My fears were pretty unfounded, as I only got a few looks, but the band were utterly shocking anyway, so it didn;t really matter.

That said, if I go to a really preppy/townie club, I make every attempt to indie-fy myself as a way to say 'I'm not one of you. Leave me alone'.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Stereo Types
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:10 »

I am so metal it hurts.

I own a gas mask with inverted crosses, pentagrams, runes, alchemical symbols, thelemic iconography and Gandalf lyrics carved on to the filter.

I wear an inverted wolfs cross.

I have worn corpsepaint. In public.

I am in a band. And have my own side-project.

All my friends are posers. Except Darren. He's awesome.

Yet, oddly, I'm not really that stereotypical at all. Or rather, I conform to stereotypes most people are not aware of.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:13 »

aha, like having.....hair?

'stop conforming to the human species!'

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:18 »

Baldness: The ultimate rebellion!

*sells idea to Hot Topic for millions. Buys small island. Lives the rest of his days in peace and contentment*
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Stereo Types
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:19 »

Quote from: muffy
I remember being really self conscious at a Meteors show - there were all these punks with their patches and mohawks and huge, muscley tatooed arms, and I was stood there thinking 'shit, they know I'm not punk, they know I'm one of those soft indie kids who listens to sad music who'd probably cry if they saw a mosh pit...they're gonna lynch me'.
My fears were pretty unfounded, as I only got a few looks, but the band were utterly shocking anyway, so it didn;t really matter.

You can't tell how punk someone is by their dress sense, so you probably didn't look tas out of place as you might think. To look at I imagine the presumption most people would make of me is 'indie bastard' (well, unless they happened to read my badges, knew the bands and I wasn't happening to wear indie ones), but it doesn't mean I can't circle pit in my sweaters.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Stereo Types
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2005, 14:23 »

i like the way i dress.  my chuck taylors, blazers, band shirts, short messy haircut.  it's very "indie" but i like it - i've seen other "indie" girls that i look at with different clothes on and go "fuck, you're ugly".  like it's been mentioned in the thread, the people make the stereotype first.  if i'm stereotypically "indie", i was just plain "indie" first, if that makes any sense.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

El Opium

Stereo Types
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2005, 19:29 »

I kinda look like poseur indie. My glasses are wire frame and I don't own a pair of converse (nike bought em out anyway, so they're evil corporate blarg now anyway). I get plus points for being English (in America) but people assume I like the beatles and indie pop when I'm becoming kind of a nut for more experimental styles.

Willis

Stereo Types
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2005, 20:54 »

Yeah, well you wanna know how Indie I am?

My wardrobe is predominated by items from Express for men and Gap.  My shoes are either my nice black Borns or my "retired" Asics running shoes.  I'm pretty much like any other mid 20-yr old male grad student.  Heck, I have a nice collection of dress shirts & ties that I enjoy wearing.  The most Indie thing about me is my denim jacket, my QC shirt, and my straggly red hair -- and that is on border line hippiesh then indie.  Even if I tried to look indie (I know I never could) I think that I'd be screaming "poser."  Kinda like that scene in Hi Fidelity when John Cusack is talking about people who said they were punks but not really.  Yeah, that would be me.  So the way I figure it is I wear the clothes I want and look good doing so and then I can go listen to my indie rock.  I don't need to dress the part to play the part.  Do ya dig?

As far as indie girls go, however, I do appreciate their style and what not.  I needs to find me a nice indie chick.

~~Willis

yipjumpmusic

Stereo Types
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2005, 21:54 »

Or she needs to find you.  Forget the stereotype of men having to make the first move, or at least we wish women would.  Step up and enjoy some equal rights girls.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2005, 00:32 »

...pleaaaaaaassssse.

Many of us are terribly lonely!

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2005, 01:32 »

*Hugs Khar in a close and personal way*

nothingwitty

Stereo Types
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2005, 02:17 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I am so metal it hurts.

I own a gas mask with inverted crosses, pentagrams, runes, alchemical symbols, thelemic iconography and Gandalf lyrics carved on to the filter.

I wear an inverted wolfs cross.

I have worn corpsepaint. In public.

I am in a band. And have my own side-project.

All my friends are posers. Except Darren. He's awesome.

Yet, oddly, I'm not really that stereotypical at all. Or rather, I conform to stereotypes most people are not aware of.

Khar, will you marry me? Or, at least, get into a drunk fight with me. Maybe both... at the same time

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2005, 11:17 »

^ Sexiest thing anyone's said to me all week.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Stereo Types
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2005, 13:37 »

I've worn sweaters and been serious about them.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2005, 14:16 »

I've worn sweaters*. That's no feat. Were they home-made? Second hand? Did they smell of old lady!? What kind of man are you!!?

*BLACK AS THE ABYSSIC PITS OF THE ETERNAL ARCTIC WINTERNIGHT of course

Johnny C

• Mentat
Stereo Types
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2005, 14:21 »

Both of them were wool. One was a deep, winey shade of red. The other had some kind of symbol that looked like an ameoba trying to reproduce.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2005, 14:30 »

I refust to recognise your hew-mon sweaters unless they have strange stripes, or badly sewn-in sheep.

If that amoeba thing was actually an incredibly crap sheep, DOUBLE BONUS!

Johnny C

• Mentat
Stereo Types
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2005, 14:46 »

It could well have been. I'm not even kidding, nobody had any clue what it is.

And actually, bonus points to your idea since the sweater was white and the design was black.

Tartar Martyr

Stereo Types
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2005, 16:04 »

Do you guys really think this much about this shit?

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #30 on: 01 May 2005, 16:43 »

Of course the Indie Kids do, the hip-code doesn't allow fun. And Metalheads just have nothing else to talk about.

cacahuate

Stereo Types
« Reply #31 on: 01 May 2005, 16:46 »

Quote from: Tartar Martyr
Do you guys really think this much about this shit?

This is a brilliant point.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #32 on: 01 May 2005, 18:05 »

Quote from: Robbo
And Metalheads just have nothing else to talk about.

Fool! You revealed our secrets to the un-metal! We shall punish you for this! Necrobobsledders, bind him and take him to the dark fjords of Azabagorath.

fuck yeah I'm gonna say it, and fuck yeah none of you are going to get it.

HAIL THE NECROWIZARD! :[

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2005, 18:16 »

Please, I'm so Black Metal, I dont wear band shirts out in public so the poser wimps can't pick up on real Metal for free :P

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2005, 18:22 »

...dude, I hope you're not listening to your tapes and CDs, right? You realise some poser might over-hear the faint distant sounds from your room and randomly guess exactly what Les Legiones Noires band you were listening to? And headphones are even worse: Posers are constantly listening out on shortwave radio sets for the signals eminated by the headphone wires.

Indeed, we currently believe the only safe way to enjoy true black metal is to visit the bands in their own homes, memorise all their tabs in the form of a coded gregorian chant, and then play them yourself on an unplugged guitar where all the strings have been replaced with, well string.

Otherwise, you never know what might happen.

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #35 on: 01 May 2005, 18:25 »

Kvlt. *Gets hit in the head with a grim and frosten bitten sheeps skull from the Necrowizard*

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #36 on: 01 May 2005, 18:29 »

THis thread is grimmer than lustfully worshipping The inverted moongoat whilst skiing down the inverted necromountain of necrodeathmortum!

Johnny C

• Mentat
Stereo Types
« Reply #37 on: 01 May 2005, 19:51 »

THE COLOUR OF MY SOUL

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Stereo Types
« Reply #38 on: 01 May 2005, 20:01 »

BLACK ISNT A COLOR ITS A SHADE OMG
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Stereo Types
« Reply #39 on: 01 May 2005, 20:06 »

DON'T BE PICKY

I'M SO BITCHING YOU OUT IN MY DEADJOURNAL

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #40 on: 02 May 2005, 03:16 »

Did your parents pay for your Deadjournal?

Poseur.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Stereo Types
« Reply #41 on: 02 May 2005, 03:39 »

To get back on topic... I don't think there's anything wrong with subconsciously conforming to a stereotype... after all, stereotypes exist for a reason. If followers of certain trends weren't identifiable by their dress sense or whatever then there wouldn't be those stereotypes. It isn't like you're posing or whatever, so do what you feel like.

Though yes, when you conform to a stereotype without realising it can be a little scary when somebody points it out. Having wanted a trenchcoat forever, then having to change my entire wardrobe to black just to make it look right, I didn't realise until I got to college that I'd just jumped into the goth stereotype.

Am making moves to correct this though, add more colour to my wardrobe... my Music + Science = Sexy t-shirt is on it's way ;-)

ASturge

Stereo Types
« Reply #42 on: 02 May 2005, 04:03 »

I get afraid when some loser 'The Killers liker' says to me
'Sturge, what do you think of The Decemberists album then?'

I generally go 'oh no! they are shit, you definatly dont wont to go out and buy their records, i heard the new My Chemical Romance album is pretty banging though!'

That usually puts them off the scent, phew, another band succesfully saved from bad music listeners.

Robbo

Stereo Types
« Reply #43 on: 02 May 2005, 04:06 »

See, Indie is resorting to coping Black Metal trends.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Stereo Types
« Reply #44 on: 02 May 2005, 04:10 »

Next thing, the bands will be vetting who they send their CDs to.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Stereo Types
« Reply #45 on: 02 May 2005, 04:16 »

Quote from: ASturge
I get afraid when some loser 'The Killers liker' says to me
'Sturge, what do you think of The Decemberists album then?'

Strangely enough, even though I'm quite happy to admit I don't know the first thing about indie right now, I've been finding I've been getting really annoyed at people who keep flaunting The Killers as a sign of their affinity for indie. I mean, hell, I liked the album, but I'm very aware they're not exactly part of the indie scene.

muffy

Stereo Types
« Reply #46 on: 02 May 2005, 09:08 »

I'd call the Killers indie.

I'd also call them a Shed 7 tribute band with synths and 2 good tunes to their name, but that's just my personal frustration at having heard Mr Fucking Brightside one too many times.

But they headlined a huge NME tour, which is a benchmark of indie schmindie behaviour...

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
Stereo Types
« Reply #47 on: 02 May 2005, 09:21 »

i call The Killers.. shit i'd never heard of til i got to college and then my roommate played it nonstop for three months. god damn that Somebody Told Me thing got old. real quick.
and the rest of the people in me whole building are the same. they're all radio-indie kids, with a strong dose of Stuff Our Parents Listened To As Teenagers thrown in. so the brilliant idea of the itunes sharing network is generally completely useless in bel air. [/rant]
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Stereo Types
« Reply #48 on: 02 May 2005, 09:36 »

I too have Killers-loving flatmates, and their songs do burrow in like annoying little weevils. And there's that one that keeps going on about 'indie rock and roll', which always makes me give an aloof 'you know you're just a pop band really' glance at the stereo.

EhSteve

• Not quite a lurker
Stereo Types
« Reply #49 on: 02 May 2005, 10:16 »

I have an Aiwa.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up