THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 788573 times)

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #3000 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:01 »

There's an inner conch? I have my conch pierced, it's pretty alright, but lacks the visability of most piercings. So get it if you like getting pierced, but maybe elsewhere if you want a showy off one. Alternatively, get it punched/pierced at a larger gauge and get a tunnel in it!
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2010, 12:27 by Thomas Edison »
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3001 on: 26 Feb 2010, 13:32 »

Hey I recently got the barbell in my eyebrow changed to a ring with a captive bead. It feels awesome and it's actually heaps easier to keep clean and such (i've had it for 4 years and never really any issues with it) but lately i can kind of see the ring through the skin and it seems like it might have moved forward a bit? Is this like an early sign of rejection?

Stephen! Halp!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ackblom12

« Reply #3002 on: 26 Feb 2010, 14:50 »

Oh! Sorry about missing that. Unforutnately yeah, that definitely sounds like it's rejecting. It might have started rejecting due to being changed to a ring. It's possible ossible it started earlier, but if it wasn't causing any problems until now it's likely. The main reason for that is the eyebrow is technically a surface piercing and the barbell tends to be a much better fit for the location. Obviously this isn't a 100% blanket for everyone, but in general rings are usually a bad idea for a eyebrow.

You can either leave it in and hope the rejection stops (entirely possible) or you can remove it now, let it heal up for a few weeks and get it repierced if you like.

If you opt to try and keep it, just be tender with it and don't spin the ring if you can avoid it. If it starts shwoing any visible signs of irritation like being red around the holes or it starts itching, it's probably time to let it go.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3003 on: 26 Feb 2010, 16:00 »

Yeah I figured it'd be something like that. It's just annoying because it's not irritated, or itching or anything. It feels great! Probably doesn't help that I keep sleeping on it. If I have to get it re-done I'm going to speak to my piercer and see if I can get some custom jewellry made up, they have rings that are slightly elliptical so that the bit through the eyebrow is actually straight (more or less) so it has less chance of rejecting. Only reason I didn't get it was because they didn't have it in niobium and they never got back to me about having one made up but I might insist on it next time, even though it'll be more expensive.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #3004 on: 26 Feb 2010, 18:19 »

Stephen you are like our guru.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3005 on: 26 Feb 2010, 19:56 »

All hail Stephen!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3006 on: 28 Feb 2010, 15:02 »

That's some ridiculously large hail.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #3007 on: 03 Mar 2010, 15:29 »

It is almost my birthday. I'm going to get a tattoo across my back. It is going to be the last llines of this poem:

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I am tempted to get the whole thing in typewriter type, or just the last 2 llines all fancy. Despite the fact I've wanted this done for forever I can't quite see it in my head. Any suggestions guys?
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3008 on: 03 Mar 2010, 15:33 »

I would like to suggest don't. From my limited experience wordy tattoos are incredibly hard to get right. Less is probably more.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3009 on: 03 Mar 2010, 15:51 »

If less is more, then the last 4 lines are the ones to get. If you want the whole thing, yes, I think typewriter font would be cool. Maybe not change the last two lines' font, but maybe put them in a different color? How big were you thinking of getting it?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3010 on: 04 Mar 2010, 01:47 »

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Hey I gave The Lady a copy of that poem on our first anniversary! D'aw memories

EDIT for content: I am seeing my artist and booking some time on Friday! It will probably be my last tattoo for such a long while because it's unlikely I will get one while I'm travelling on account of being poor and wotnot. I am getting Charles Darwin on the underside of my forearm, just below the elbow. It will not be a portrait tattoo.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2010, 01:50 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #3011 on: 04 Mar 2010, 04:14 »

I know about the wordy tattoo issue, that's probably why I'm finding it hard, although the artist in question is super good at script. I don't just want that terrible gansta looking thing a lot of people are getting.

It will cover the top third of my back, apart from the shoulder bades which are going to have Star Wars pin up girls.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #3012 on: 04 Mar 2010, 05:42 »

apart from the shoulder bades which are going to have Star Wars pin up girls.

yes

I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3013 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:14 »

since i'm getting a tattoo on my dog and he does dog tattoos a fair bit based on his portfolio!

I was really scared of you when I read that.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3014 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:54 »

Possibly convinced, not impressed.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3015 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:56 »

This guy reminds me of an artist in Australia who got an ear transplanted onto his arm, and was going to get a bluetooth transmitter thingy put in it so he could use it to "hear". He also had a robotic arm attached to his side under one of his arms that he uses somehow. And I think he and his wife got chips implanted in their brains, so they can tell when the other is thinking about something, just not what they are thinking about. (That last one I am not sure about, seeing it was a few years ago that I heard about him and wasn't paying complete attention)

What annoyed me most about the talk about him was that the person giving the speech was all amazed that he did suspensions and how out there that was, because he is so wacky. I just thought he was a nutter because he had an ear transplanted onto his arm. This other dude give me the same feeling. Nutter.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #3016 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:57 »

I've got a couple of 1" dia  neodymium boride magnets here that I use to charge pole pieces of pickups.  Having let to of those things get stuck together before and remembering the hurculean effort it took to pull them apart, I can't imagine having one in my body and encountering another one 'in the wild'.   I bet it would hurt like hell.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3017 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:59 »

I mean if I compiled a list of the dumb things i could do to my body, cutting myself and putting chips in myself for some sub-Gibsonesque "benefit" would rank pretty high.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #3018 on: 04 Mar 2010, 14:15 »

I'm old school.  I've got an amphenol in mine.

I cannot believe I just made a wiener related telecommunications joke.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3019 on: 04 Mar 2010, 14:36 »

Yeah, people have no problem having magnets in their bodies now, bme does features on it all the time. Remember that entry about the guy who could pick up nails with them?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3020 on: 04 Mar 2010, 14:44 »

If I'm reading it right, the body doesn't have to adapt at all - when the magnet comes near an electromagnetic field (and those are old news - the first theories are traced back to the 1820's), it vibrates very slightly, just enough to let you feel it move with the nerve endings in your fingers. Which are, of course, already there.

Yes, this.

Tommy, the guy isn't lying. His magnets respond to magnetic fields by moving slightly, which he can feel because they are in his skin.

He doesn't have a new sense, he's just sensing new things with an old one.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3021 on: 04 Mar 2010, 15:04 »

using his sense of touch
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3022 on: 04 Mar 2010, 15:04 »

With senses that are already there.

It's not so much a sixth sense as it is a heighten sense of awareness to magnetic fields.

Like becoming Stephen Merritt.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3023 on: 04 Mar 2010, 15:09 »

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally on board with this kinda. I mean, it's cool, and it's really neat to see how this is progressing. I'm sorta fascinated by it all.

Until I stay up all night "researching" it, and then become paranoid about transhumanism, and robots taking over the world, etc etc etc.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3024 on: 04 Mar 2010, 18:42 »

This guy reminds me of an artist in Australia who got an ear transplanted onto his arm, and was going to get a bluetooth transmitter thingy put in it so he could use it to "hear". He also had a robotic arm attached to his side under one of his arms that he uses somehow. And I think he and his wife got chips implanted in their brains, so they can tell when the other is thinking about something, just not what they are thinking about. (That last one I am not sure about, seeing it was a few years ago that I heard about him and wasn't paying complete attention)

What annoyed me most about the talk about him was that the person giving the speech was all amazed that he did suspensions and how out there that was, because he is so wacky. I just thought he was a nutter because he had an ear transplanted onto his arm. This other dude give me the same feeling. Nutter.

Hey I'm pretty sure you're talking about Stelarc. Dude had an artwork that was "I'm going to ride around in a giant six-legged robotic exoskeleton". Which was awesome.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3025 on: 04 Mar 2010, 19:27 »

People are remarkable in their ability to deal with and understand new and novel stimuli. People can 'see' using cameras that interface with their tongues. People can control a computer cursor with their brainwaves (and some fancy equipment). It seems very plausible to me that you'd learn how these things work and what they mean.
Like, think about how you can take a partially full glass of water, shake it around, and gauge how full it is. That is ridiculous. Think about how complicated that is to do. Your brain can learn to interpret complicated things as meaningful sensations.

Electric appliances generate magnetic fields, and vice versa.
Magnetic fields generate electric appliances?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3026 on: 04 Mar 2010, 20:18 »

I'm pretty disappointed no one commented on my very poor Magnetic Fields joke.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3027 on: 04 Mar 2010, 20:29 »

hey nice magnetics field joke
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3028 on: 04 Mar 2010, 20:30 »

Some times, when I think dumb things are posted, especially in a thread that moves pretty fast, I just sort of ignore them. How about that?
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2010, 23:16 by RallyMonkey »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3029 on: 04 Mar 2010, 23:50 »

Some times, when I think dumb things are posted, especially in a thread that moves pretty fast, I just sort of ignore them. How about that?

But theres a qualifier!

Also, man, board, is it a full moon?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3030 on: 05 Mar 2010, 08:09 »

Stopping to say 'nice joke about <x>, <person>' is a little silly most of the time. When it's a phenomenal joke, sure, but if it's just another 'heheh' joke we don't need to spend space on it.

Magnetic fields generate electric appliances?
Sorry, I meant that magnetic fields generate electricity.
Damnit man I've been trying to toast my bread and blend a smoothie by waving magnets around all morning, and now you tell me? It is noon and my counter is covered in un-toasted bread, old banana, milk, ice cream, and a raw egg and I still haven't eaten anything for breakfast. The future sucks.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3031 on: 05 Mar 2010, 10:23 »

I heard that potatoes generate electricity, try wiring up your bread to a potato.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3032 on: 05 Mar 2010, 10:47 »

no no no you can't wire it, that will never work. you have to weld it.

Because of the crystals.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3033 on: 06 Mar 2010, 21:23 »

OK tomorrow morning I will try and make coffee by pouring water into a mound of mashed potatoes and turning my kitchen lights on and off really fast and screaming at the top of my lungs until it works.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3034 on: 06 Mar 2010, 23:09 »

This guy reminds me of an artist in Australia who got an ear transplanted onto his arm, and was going to get a bluetooth transmitter thingy put in it so he could use it to "hear".
Hey I'm pretty sure you're talking about Stelarc. Dude had an artwork that was "I'm going to ride around in a giant six-legged robotic exoskeleton". Which was awesome.

Yes, she is. He did a residency at Edith Cowan University at the same time I was studying there. He is most definitely full of shit, which most accurately explains why a university visual arts faculty went ape poopy over him.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3035 on: 08 Mar 2010, 20:21 »

just got this done the other day

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3036 on: 09 Mar 2010, 09:13 »

That's pretty cool.  Jesus Rocks!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #3037 on: 02 Apr 2010, 16:36 »

I am finally getting my 1st tattoo and had some questions. The guy im going to quoted me about $75 an hour to do the work. Im getting a steampunk inspired quarter sleeve and it might take up to 4hours or more. Thats like 300 bux for a tattoo and it seemed kinda high to me. I know a lot of the price depends on the detail and I want the clock work gears to be pretty detailed but still seems kinda high to me. Any suggestions on where to begin with price negotiations?
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

sean

• welp
« Reply #3038 on: 02 Apr 2010, 16:58 »

300 bucks for a quarter sleve does not sound high at all.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3039 on: 02 Apr 2010, 17:00 »

Yeah 75 is reasonable for a good artist and 300 for 4+ hours is good.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Aurjay

« Reply #3040 on: 02 Apr 2010, 17:56 »

ok thanks just wasnt sure. I will post pics of it when its done

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #3041 on: 02 Apr 2010, 18:18 »

I am having a 3 hour session this Tuesday and it'll cost me about £200 (which includes a touch up on my masks). Do you have a link to an online portfolio of who is doing yours and what kind of thing you're getting done?

Aurjay

« Reply #3042 on: 02 Apr 2010, 18:58 »

its a shop right by the base im stationed at and dont know if he has an online portfolio. I'm going to him by word of mouth since a lot of other soldiers have gotten their ink done there. its all gonna be hand drawn but the concept is steam punk. Im going tomorrow to pay the guy to draw me up an idea and see from there.

ackblom12

« Reply #3043 on: 02 Apr 2010, 19:58 »

Yeah, I'd really have to see portfolio work before I could determine. It could just be the area, but $75 USD seems a little bit low. I mean, not so low that I'd say its questionable. If he's good he's good, but I don't generally like taking word of mouth unless I can see some proof first.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3044 on: 03 Apr 2010, 22:48 »

YEAH I LIED WHEN I SAID I DECIDED NOT TO STRETCH MY EARS THESE BITCHES ARE GETTING TORN
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3045 on: 04 Apr 2010, 01:17 »

Guys my booking for my Darwin tattoo is this Wednesday eeeeeee!

My girlfriend is getting tattooed at the same time and she is worried because she gets eczema and she's having a flare-up at the moment. Does anybody know if they can tattoo on to skin that has eczema or rashes without any detriment to the finished product or will she have to reschedule if it doesn't clear up in time?

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #3046 on: 04 Apr 2010, 06:02 »

YEAH I LIED WHEN I SAID I DECIDED NOT TO STRETCH MY EARS THESE BITCHES ARE GETTING TORN

ackblom12

« Reply #3047 on: 04 Apr 2010, 06:40 »

Dovey, I think it's gonna be up to how comfortable the artist is doing it while she has a breakout, but unless she's brken out in the tattoo area they probably won't have an issue with it. As far as I know it shouldn't cause any problems other than atypical swelling and more breakouts immediately after and during the healing period, but it shouldn't cause any other issues.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #3048 on: 04 Apr 2010, 06:52 »

My stupid fuckin' left ear keeps blowing out. It's really beginning to piss me off. To the point where I'm considering stopping stretching. It'll be sweet while stretching and fine for a month at a size and then one day BAM, blowout, downsize, annoyance. Fuck this noise.
So I'm planning on getting some organic jewellery to settle it down. Until then though, I gotta leave it at 10mm when my other ear is 12mm. DERP DERP DERP.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3049 on: 04 Apr 2010, 07:42 »

I mean, you are pretty much on the right track with that.

Do you use any oil when stretching? If you don't have any allergies, I highly recommend coconut oil. Also, stretch in the shower. It's the best place for it.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97   Go Up