THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Smash Brothers Brawl  (Read 339176 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #150 on: 08 Jun 2007, 22:28 »

Right, right. He's still way too big to be a playable character, though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #151 on: 08 Jun 2007, 22:48 »

GUYS AND GALS!!!!!

GROUDON!!!

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #152 on: 09 Jun 2007, 10:43 »

Right, right. He's still way too big to be a playable character, though.

I don't see why the couldn't scale him down a bit and include him. Bowser was pretty fuckin' immense and they managed to squeeze him in there just fine. Ridley'd have a pretty damn nice move set, too.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #153 on: 10 Jun 2007, 12:55 »

Man I'm on this website and it just assumes that you have never played Smash Bros. before so hard.
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #154 on: 10 Jun 2007, 12:59 »

Pretty much, yeah.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #155 on: 10 Jun 2007, 21:06 »

Classic Controller! I love that thing.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #156 on: 10 Jun 2007, 21:16 »

The Classic Controller is a very well designed gamepad for sure. Two analog sticks, a good D-pad, 6 buttons that are all easy to reach, and it's not too small or too big.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #157 on: 13 Jun 2007, 19:16 »

Back to the characters; they should put a limit as to how many characters can come from what game or series. In SSBM they had Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi; dear lord! OD on Mario Bros much? And what was with having Link AND Young link? Plus Pikachu and Pichu. I don't need to see the young/old versions of everything! They need to make kirby as badass as he was in the first one(N64 version) again too.
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #158 on: 13 Jun 2007, 20:03 »

I didn't even notice much of a difference between Dr. Mario and Mario. What was the point of having both of them again?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #159 on: 13 Jun 2007, 20:22 »

In SSBM they had Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi; dear lord! OD on Mario Bros much?

The only one of those they could remove is Dr. Mario. All the others are distinct and different characters. Also, there will be murder if they remove Peach.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #160 on: 13 Jun 2007, 21:06 »

In SSBM they had Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi; dear lord! OD on Mario Bros much?

The only one of those they could remove is Dr. Mario. All the others are distinct and different characters. Also, there will be murder if they remove Peach.
I suppose so. Peach is a really good character.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #161 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:37 »

I didn't even notice much of a difference between Dr. Mario and Mario. What was the point of having both of them again?

Dr. Mario was the same as Mario except that he threw pills instead of fireballs.  That same is similarly true of Link and Young Link, Fox and Falco, Pikachu and Pichu.  Same character, minor differences in attacks.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #162 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:53 »

Dr. Mario was the same as Mario except that he threw pills instead of fireballs.  That same is similarly true of Link and Young Link, Fox and Falco, Pikachu and Pichu.  Same character, minor differences in attacks.
Dr. Mario and Mario; the only difference was pills vs. fireballs. But I disagree with you on the other three comparisons. Link vs. Young link; young link is faster and takes less time to recover and his attacks aren't as strong. Plus he's got the fire arrow instead of just the normal arrow. Fox vs. Falco; Falco is slower and heavier then fox when he's falling. Plus his laser beam/gun; B move has more damage to it, takes longer to fire, and stops the character for a moment (stuns them) rather then fox's rapid fire-1% damage-character's don't notice-shot. Pikachu vs. Pichu; Pichu gets hurt everytime it does anything with electricity. There's no point to Pichu besides to laugh at the gamer who's using them. The only thing that is noticeably different as far as attacks go is the skull bash (smash B) move. It does a lot more damage then Pikachu's does. Other than that there are just minor differences that are pretty moot and don't matter.

Narr

« Reply #163 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:19 »

Dr. Mario's air fist attack knocked people distance instead of being a meteor smash like the original Mario.  Also, he was a little slower on the ground but more powerful because he shot electricity on a smash move instead of fire.  (It doesn't go through parrying attacks like regular Mario's fire does.)  The pills were heavier so they didn't go as far and dropped down quicker, making it a good attack when you've got height but not distance on your enemies.  I believe some of his other regular attacks behaved differently how they knock back as well.

It's not a difference as far as their movesets, but you'd be surprised how significantly it changes how you use a character.  I'd say all the clone characters were pretty distinct in this way, especially Ganondorf/Cpt. Falcon.

Anyway,

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music03.html

This makes me happy.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #164 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:30 »

Best boss music ever? Quite possibly.

I still demand Ridley in this fucking game. Even if it's just a like mid-boss fight or something (Master Hand was pretty fucking big). Anything to hear that music and Ridley's fucking screech.

Fuck, when I get home, I'm hooking my SNES up to the projector and playing Super Metroid.
JON MADE ME GAY

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #165 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:30 »

On a side note:

I really hope they have a stage similar to final destination. Nothing better then battling everyone on a flat chunk of land that doesn't do any kind of crap to you.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #166 on: 19 Jun 2007, 13:50 »

Man the environmental effects are some of the best parts about Super Smash Brothers. Why not ask that they take out all the items too?

Also they've been revealing the Final Smashes of several characters recently, including one that wasn't seen in the trailers. In addition, they confirmed that regular Samus will be in the game in addition to Zero Suit Samus. Not unexpected, but still nice.

Ally

« Reply #167 on: 19 Jun 2007, 19:43 »

I'm not too keen on Zero Suit Samus. Samus is the best female character because most non-Metroid fans don't even realize that she's a girl. She just kicks a ton of ass. People assume that this automatically makes her a man, and then she's like, uh no, 100% raised-by-Chozo grrl, kthx. And I don't really consider myself a feminist, but I feel like depicting Samus in a really scantily-clad fashion sort of... ruins the point of Samus shattering gender stereotypes.

Too bad for me.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 19:48 by Ally »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #168 on: 19 Jun 2007, 19:56 »

I would hardly call the Zero Suit 'scanty', at least in comparison to most female video game characters. Dead or Alive, anyone?

Ally

« Reply #169 on: 19 Jun 2007, 20:00 »

The point is that it is more about tiny waist, huge boobs and ass than being awesome. But this is neither the time nor the place.
(Yes, I know about the whole "end of the game reward" thing.)
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 20:11 by Ally »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #170 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:18 »

Welllll...

I'm certainly not saying it's right or anything, but Samus in any form, including de-suited as she has been in certain cinematics in the past, is pretty tame as far as sexualized females in games go. I agree that she is one of the few female role models in video games at this point, but I don't think that this costume is threatening that, really. Especially if the character is good and then it proves that she can still kick your ass.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #171 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:37 »

Man the environmental effects are some of the best parts about Super Smash Brothers. Why not ask that they take out all the items too?
You can turn off the items in melee as well as stages when you unlock additional rules.

EDIT: In Icicle Mountain I try to stay alive more then concern myself with killing other people over half the time. I want to fight, not go through an obstacle course.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #172 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:46 »

I know. What I was trying to say was that if you take away the items and the crazy stages you take away a lot of the things that make Smash Brothers... Smash Brothers.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #173 on: 19 Jun 2007, 21:58 »

But it should be kept to more of a minimum. The only stages that didn't have crap going on were Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple, and that's it. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Mai_K

« Reply #174 on: 20 Jun 2007, 09:00 »

I think they should have a final fantasy appearance, but only from the first 1-4 games or something. Since FF used to be on the old NES.They should have some kind of trophy or something not a character that would be INSANE and cause so much confusion with people that didn't know oldschool FF.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #175 on: 20 Jun 2007, 09:14 »

But it should be kept to more of a minimum. The only stages that didn't have crap going on were Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple, and that's it. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Disagree. If I want a run-of-the-mill fighting game, I'll play Tekken or Soul Calibur or whatever. The craziness is what makes Smash Bros. so great.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #176 on: 20 Jun 2007, 09:35 »

Nothing beats being at death's door and running from your friend only to have a random Bobomb fall on them out of nowhere and kill 'em off or see them get blasted by an Arwing. Absolutely Priceless.

Also fun: if you're both down to your last life and your opponent's a stat freak and you have DK or Kirby? Grab 'em and jump off a fucking cliff. That riles up people who take the game too seriously like nobody's business. Bonus points for yelling "If I go down I'm taking you with me!" or "I REGRET NOTHING!!!"
JON MADE ME GAY

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #177 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:22 »

The point is that it is more about tiny waist, huge boobs and ass than being awesome. But this is neither the time nor the place.
(Yes, I know about the whole "end of the game reward" thing.)

I don't think she really looks disproportionate or anything.  She just looks physically fit, which she would have to be to run around in a 300-pound suit of armor.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #178 on: 20 Jun 2007, 15:01 »

Nothing beats being at death's door and running from your friend only to have a random Bobomb fall on them out of nowhere and kill 'em off or see them get blasted by an Arwing. Absolutely Priceless.

Also fun: if you're both down to your last life and your opponent's a stat freak and you have DK or Kirby? Grab 'em and jump off a fucking cliff. That riles up people who take the game too seriously like nobody's business. Bonus points for yelling "If I go down I'm taking you with me!" or "I REGRET NOTHING!!!"
That is so true.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #179 on: 21 Jun 2007, 15:47 »

Hey, Ally, did you ever play Zero Mission?

Also, my friends who I play Smash with never, ever, ever get Samus's gender right. She's always "he". It's annoying.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #180 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:37 »

Am I the only one who thinks the complete lack of any mention in today's update of Sheik is a very, very good thing? Also, how pretty is that dress?

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #181 on: 25 Jun 2007, 17:26 »

Oh wow, first announced character in like a year. Maybe there's more soon.

*crosses fingers for Ness*

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #182 on: 25 Jun 2007, 17:41 »

Captain Olimar would be cool.  He'd have a little army of Pikmin around him, and they would carry out all of his attacks for him.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #183 on: 25 Jun 2007, 23:28 »

That is so true.

sometimes I would play as Donkey Kong jsut to piss off my cousins by doing that.  I have even called it Kong Suicide.

I was kind of hoping to see Zelda with her swords from Twilight Princess in this one

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #184 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:11 »

Kind of a bummer that the Zelda medley isn't with a full orchestra.  It's kind of hard to listen to because it's so obviously MIDI.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #185 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:16 »

Honestly, I prefer stuff like that in MIDI form. Most of the Nintendo classics seem to just work best in the midi arrangements, with the exception of Metroid. Metroid's soundtrack just screams "Heavy fucking guitars."
JON MADE ME GAY

Ally

« Reply #186 on: 26 Jun 2007, 19:16 »

I love Zelda songs so much, MIDI and all. I've played them on oboe. adfhgadf lame

also LOVE Zelda's dress, don't care if there is no Sheik

also I have to get so good at this so that I can kick Troy's ass

EDIT: Ooh, no, never Zero Mission! The only Metriod game I've actually owned is Prime, good fun (played the others, though).
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2007, 19:30 by Ally »

CRASH andor BURN

« Reply #187 on: 02 Jul 2007, 08:26 »

Assist trophies sound wicked sweet

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #188 on: 04 Jul 2007, 07:23 »

So, Bowser transforms into Giga Bowser. I never play as him, but that's still pretty cool.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #189 on: 04 Jul 2007, 08:52 »

That's freaking crazy. Also, he's probably the character that has seen the biggest visual upgrade.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #190 on: 04 Jul 2007, 10:12 »

GIGA BOWSER IS GONNA EAT JOO!

GRAAAOR!

Scariest Nintendo character EVER.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #191 on: 04 Jul 2007, 14:05 »

Part of me wishes they would stop updating stuff about this game because it's making me giddy as a schoolgirl and I'm afraid other people will overhear my giggling.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #192 on: 04 Jul 2007, 15:30 »

Bad news: It apparently won't be playable at E3 next week. Good news: It has been re-re-confirmed for holiday season this year. The speculation is that Nintendo is not making it playable so they can keep the character roster secret.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #193 on: 04 Jul 2007, 20:28 »

Which I'm all for.

I want a few surprises when I first spend 72 straight hours unlocking every last character and stage like an obsessive addict. Sometimes I pop in a different memory card just to do it all again for Melee. My best file is missing something like 8 trophies and I feel deep shame for never having gotten them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #194 on: 13 Jul 2007, 08:26 »

So, how about that Animal Crossing themed stage? Pretty cool.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #195 on: 13 Jul 2007, 08:42 »

Does it mean Tom Nook is going to be a playable character?!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #196 on: 13 Jul 2007, 10:19 »

Another thing was, part of the Nintendo press conference was basically geared around saying 'no, we do care about online play, really!' They listed a number of games coming in the near future that would have online play, and Smash Brothers was conspicuously absent. Of course, Sakurai said from the start that online play would only be in the game if they could get it working by the end of the year, but it looks like that won't be the case. Somewhat disappointing, but I'm still so excited for this game it doesn't really matter.

mattgcn

• Emoticontraindication
  • The goat, the pole and their relative positions
    • MATTGCN
« Reply #197 on: 16 Jul 2007, 00:33 »

To the person above, ICON LOVE. I just watched Wizard People today, Brad Neely is a GENIUS AMONG MEN.

On the topic at hand, Brawl was almost completely absent from the Nintendo press conference other than the date confirmation. It better still be online or I'll bust heads.

On today's update on the DOJO, I love music updates. Yay for a Star Fox Rearrangement!
Still trying desperately to fit in

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #198 on: 16 Jul 2007, 11:45 »

I think that the online feature is still on a 'if we can get it working before the game comes out' basis. They did not say a word about Smash Brothers during the part of the press conference where they were touting their upcoming online features, so if I had to guess, I'd probably say it's going to get cut.

ackblom12

« Reply #199 on: 16 Jul 2007, 14:06 »

Aye, to be fair, I'm not sure online smash would be anywhere near as fun as many think it would be. Really, doing something ridiculous to win the day just isn't as fun when they aren't right next to you and ready to be heckled. The look on their face is also a very important part of the humiliation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up