THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 01:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After some reccomendations  (Read 4664 times)

Scytale

After some reccomendations
« on: 29 Jun 2006, 04:41 »

Hey all I used to be a pretty big black metal fan, I guess I still am. My tastes have always been away from the more raw side of black metal towards the more atmospheric side my Favorite albums are stuff like Ulver's Bergtatt, Limbonic Art's In Abhorence Dimensia, Burzum's Filosofem and Nargaroth's Herbstelyd and Geliebte Des Regens. More recently I've been drawn to the sound of the more avante garrde /ambient / darkwave sort of bands.

I really love bands like Summoning (I think Oath Bound is the album of 2006 so far).  The later Ulver stuff is really great (bascially all their material is excellent though). I also especially like the newer stuff Samael have put out from Passage onwards but especially Eternal and Reign of Light.

So basically I'm after suggestions as to other similar stuff I'd like.

Also I'm after any sort of instrumental bands, they don't need to be heavy but a decent atmosphere/mood to it would be nice.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2006, 04:59 »

Hmn.

I'm having a little trouble pinning down the sound your after (different things in different parts of your post) but try Agalloch, Sigh, ...And Oceans, Dark Fortress, Wyrd, Blut Aus Nord, Lumsk and Woods of Ypres. They're all pretty different bands but I think they should be in the general area of your tastes

As for instrumental stuff, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Kayo Dot, Liquid Tension Experiment, Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Again, all different, all perhaps in the right area.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Scytale

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:25 »

I'm all ready familiar with Agalloch, Sigh and Blut Aus Nord (Work Which Transforms God is amazing). What I've heard of Dark Fortress didn't really impress me that much but it was a few years ago so maybe I should try them again.

I'll have to check out some of those other bands though, thanks a lot.

I realise my tastes are pretty varied, if it helps on the non metal side of music I like bands like Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep newer Anathema, Mars Volta.

I also play keyboard, so I'm pretty intrigued with bands that do inventive stuff with synthersizers and the like.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:39 »

Maybe Dark Fortress is a wrong choice thinking about it, but that doesn't stop Stab Wounds being a fucking amazing album.

If you like Pink Floyd, strange metal and synthesiser work, you should definitely check out Ewigkeit, especially the album 'Radio Ixtlan'.  'Land of Fog' is pretty damn good as well, and I've warmed considerably towards 'Conspiritus'. You could describe Ewigkeit's latter efforts quite reasonably as what Pink Floyd might sound like, if they were a modern metal band. A bit similiar to new Samael now I think about it. One of my favourite bands/projects. You might also try the Meads of Asphodel, and on a cheesy outside chance, Bal-Sagoth, who are pretty much musical pulp fantasy, lots of over-dramatic vocals and keyboard pomp, but rooted in black metal rather than power metal, especially on their first album (A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria).

Also, speaking of black metal and synths, you in to any industrial/cyber black metal? Aborym, Red Harvest, The Count Nosferatu Kommando and Trollheims Grott are all pretty sweet.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Scytale

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2006, 06:17 »

Yeah I have a couple of Bal Sagoth albums round here somewhere. I used to really love 'Battle Magic' when it first came out.

Aborym are ok,  "Fire Walk With Us" is all I've heard though. Thorns is probably the best industrial BM band I've heard, I dunno if they'll ever release anything else though. I'm not huge on the industrial BM sound though.

I'm intrigued by Ewigkeit though from you're description sounds like it could be just what I'm after.

I've also been getting into the pagan/folk BM stuff a bit, members politics aside bands like Drudkh and Nokturnal Mortem have really good music.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2006, 07:46 »

Ah, then you'll like Wyrd then. 'Huldrafolk' pretty much creams all NM's stuff, imo.

I would have mentioned such groups as well, but one of the ways I justify liking such groups is never actually buying their albums or promoting them.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2006, 07:50 »

Like in every debate about folk/pagan BM, or just BM in general: I feel obligated to throw Absu into the mix.

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2006, 08:35 »

Hey guys could someone recommend me a recommendation thread?

Listen to Ensiferum :)

MWhaling

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:33 »

tsathoggua

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:38 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Kayo Dot

I went to college with Toby from Kayo Dot. Nice guy (he's tiny!). Have you heard any of the stuff by his old band, Maudlin of the Well?

The amount of useful discussion of metal on this board makes me immensely happy.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:41 »

Oh also Scytale, if you haven't heard them already, check out The Knife. they're kinda the hot-shit hipster electro-pop act of the moment right now but their record is seriously excellent. Very dark, lots of extremely detailed synth and sequencing, and one of the most unique treatments of vocals I've heard in quite some time.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2006, 12:56 »

I haven't listened to much Kayo Dot, but maudlin of the Well are one of my favorite bands ever. They are pretty great.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2006, 13:03 »

Quote from: jeph
I went to college with Toby from Kayo Dot. Nice guy (he's tiny!). Have you heard any of the stuff by his old band, Maudlin of the Well

Am I the only one who thinks MOTW is better then Kayo Dot? I've heard KD's new album, and apart for one song (Aura On An Asylum Wall) I was'nt really impressed. Maybe I should track it down and give it  few more listens.
Actually, from what I remmember, the album sounded a bit like Earth's HEX: Or Printing In The Infernal Method.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2006, 14:42 »

I was more into Maudlin's stuff as well. They put on a truly bizarre live show, too- the live incarnation was usually a couple hippies on guitar, a couple metal dudes on drums and bass, and Toby. It made for an interesting experience.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2006, 14:46 »

I might like MotW better than Kayo Dot, if I'd ever heard any MotW. Choirs of the Eye was a bit of an impulse purchase.

Oh, also, on the Aborym front, 'With No Human Intervention' reaps 'Fire Walk With Us'. I really could not love that album more.

CHERNOBYL GENERATION! *NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE NTSE*

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2006, 14:55 »

Quote from: jeph
Oh also Scytale, if you haven't heard them already, check out The Knife. they're kinda the hot-shit hipster electro-pop act of the moment right now but their record is seriously excellent

<3
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

books_out_loud

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2006, 15:06 »

lamb of god

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2006, 15:11 »

Quote from: books_out_loud
lamb of god

Shush.

Scytale

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2006, 00:33 »

Quote from: Misereatur
Like in every debate about folk/pagan BM, or just BM in general: I feel obligated to throw Absu into the mix.

Yeah Proscriptor is awesome, I prefer he's work in Melechesh to he's own project Absu though. The drumming on 'Sphynx' is absolutely phenomenal.

I've heard bits and peices of Maudlin of the Well, can anyone suggest a good starting point?

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2006, 03:29 »

Props for Melechesh.
As for MotW, I'd start with Bath. That was the album that got me into them in the first place. Amazing stuff.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.
Pages: [1]   Go Up