THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread  (Read 171418 times)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: I need some new Classic Rock (or similar music)
« Reply #700 on: 06 Nov 2006, 05:18 »

These following Yes albums have my seal of approval:

Close to the Edge (a.k.a. one of the best goddamn albums EVER!!!!)
The Yes Album
Going For The One
Fragile
Relayer
(a.k.a. the album that got me into Yes)
s/t 1969 debut

And for the record, fuck "Owner of a Lonely Heart." Why? 'Cause the 80's suck. The albums I listed date from 1969 to 1977. And if you like any/all of them, maybe then will you be ready for the onslaught of pretense known as Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Also, Black Sabbath's first six records are pure guitar-driven kick-ass! (That's right, I just used "kick-ass" as a noun.)

I fully endorse this post
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread
« Reply #701 on: 06 Nov 2006, 05:42 »

You can tell Johnny is totally pumped up because he used a billion exclamation points.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

End If Kris

« Reply #702 on: 06 Nov 2006, 05:47 »

Thanks guys, keep 'em comin'.

Oh, and I thought that "The FInal Countdown" by Europe and "TNT" and "Thunderstruck" (AC/DC) were required by law to be on mix cd's like this.

AlexAttack

Re: Jazz - Help?
« Reply #703 on: 06 Nov 2006, 06:36 »

OH! ?Good thing this was here!

Guys, I have to do a Jazz solo sometime next month. ?And yes. ?I listen to a bit of jazz, but not enough to pick out a quality solo out of the mess.

I need some sort of jazz ballad I can sing without much difficulty. ?I'm a Contralto with a relatively limited range. ?Any help would be appreciated greatly!

why don't do sing goodbye porkpie hat by charlie mingus? its a really cool ballad, quite dark. its on his ah um record. it doesn't have words on the record but there are words for it, and if you have to solo over the changes you can pretty much stay in Fm blues and maybe quote the melody a bit (i only suggest this because the changes are really all over the place and it would be too hard to keep changing for each bar).

lady

« Reply #704 on: 06 Nov 2006, 07:05 »

Styx
Boston
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin
:D

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #705 on: 06 Nov 2006, 07:24 »

'Cause the 80's suck.

Um.

I can't emphasize it enough, people.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

*Sights*

• Larger than most fish
  • " "" "
« Reply #706 on: 06 Nov 2006, 07:34 »

Can anyone recomend something along the lines of Jaga Jazzist? I don't know exactly what to call it...Experimental? Nu-Jazz?
You know, instrumental jazz of that sort. Not necessarily with electronic stuff or an hour of improvisation, but you get my drift...right?

Also, I know it's not the best thread to ask for this, but is there a name for that kind of music (always striked as some kind of jazz) that gets played when the plan is explained/during the stealing on heist and crime films? That soft, sly, "oh we are so cool" kind of music.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2006, 07:47 by *Sights* »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #707 on: 06 Nov 2006, 08:25 »

Are there any good record label compilations for stuff like metal and good hip-hop?

Most labels have samplers of some sort (Nuclear Blast have fucking tonnes of them), but I'm not sure whether I'd really recommend any of them. There's a few 'classic' metal comps, mainly for their historical value: the first 'Death...Is Just the Beginning' and 'Scandinavian Metal Attack' instantly spring to mind, but they mainly concentrate on promoting newer artists, and, to be honest, I can't really think of many metal labels that have a stable strong enough to fill a whole CD with great tracks. Some of Nuclear Blasts comps are OK, but I wouldn't really recommend any of them. Spinefarm/Spikefarm have a few decent samplers. A lot of compilations labels release are cover albums though: a tribute to this, that or the other (In Black Marks case, on 'A Black Mark Tribute' vols 1 and 2 a tribute to whatever the fuck the bands wanted, with some pretty interesting results: Depeche Mode, The Police, Cream, The Beatles, Autopsy, Twisted Sister and the Sex Pistols all make appearances, some of them several times). Some of these compilations are pure dreck, some of them are pretty good (A Tribute to the Beast is quite fab), but they're not really that good for finding out what bands actually sound like, because they're not playing their own songs. Fenriz has released a rather good intro to true BM: 'Fenriz Presents...The Best of Old School Black Metal' on Peaceville, and I believe he's threatening to release a thrash compilation at some point as well. I'd actually recommend that for two reasons: one, it's got some quite unusual tracks (both in terms of obscurity and seeing them on a compilation. Fenriz is probably the only man alive who could have got permission to include Burzum's 'Ea, Lord of the Depths') and two, the liner notes are fucking hilarious. Fenriz spends half the time unnecessarily bolding words like this and the rest of the time bragging about how he got this demo of off Euronymus three days after Dead shot himself or that he actually rehearsed this track with Varg Vikernes one time etc. etc.

Really though, what you need to get you in to metal is just some good albums. What sort of stuff were you thinking of? You want something more listenable, or something more interesting?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #708 on: 06 Nov 2006, 09:20 »

I'm thinking listenable.
Bonus points for music that convinces me to go back to playing Dungeons and Dragons. Seriously.
So... listenable (like i said, i like Led Zep and Black Sabbath, so i'm not allergic to guitars) or hilarious/interesting songs about pirates and vikings.
The Decemberists and the Fiery Furnaces sing about pirates, but they are not metal

i've been reading that book about the metal church burnings and i'm confused... how do you go from "i'm going to name myself after the Orcish word for 'darkness' to 'and then kill my friend?'"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #709 on: 06 Nov 2006, 11:51 »

Varg called himself Grishnack and named his band Burzum as a gesture to his own interpretation of Lord of the Rings, which is a slight twist on the 'misunderstood Mordor' idea, and ties in with his Nazi beliefs. Basically, Varg thinks the orcs drew from the idea of Scandinavian pagans and that Tolkien was writing about the victory of Christianity over heathenism. So, he used orcish as a little reference to that idea. Plus, there's the nice element of a 'secret', if you get what it means. Finally, it's a fucking cool word and it somehow greatly increases the profoundity of the statement: calling a band 'Darkness', as we all by now know, is ridiculous. It's too naive. 'Burzum' has a darker, more powerful ring to it as a word, and the act of translation somehow distances it from being silly. Because it is a profound mission statement if you actually go and try and do it. Nothing to do with Varg was a joke.

The idea of Sauron and co as maybe the good guys isn't unique to Burzum incidentally, there's a fantastic Running Wild song with a similiar idea and lots of killer broken English:

"A shoal of the knights of torture
Are hunting a witch to the dell
Sullen shades are raiding their squad
Church's minions fell
A black knight leads through the mire
And in Mordor she finds a new life
A life without pain and torment
No murder, no lies

Rancour, against all raiders
Beware, if you're renegade's hunter
Watch out in slough's haze
Vigilance, 'cause death waits
Recourse, to the traced
Be calm, they'll give you shelter
Restless, they fight for freedom
Never, they don't let you fall

Mordor"

(Running Wild-Mordor)

Running Wild might be a good place to start. Roughly 95% of their songs are about pirates. You'll probably want to start with the albums 'Under Jolly Roger' and 'Death or Glory', possibly the live 'Ready for Boarding' as well. I also can't see you getting away without getting 'Advance and Vanquish' by 3 Inches of Blood: it pushes serious metal as close to the descent into Spinal Tap as possible without actually crossing over, and it is simply a bitch of an album: I don't see how it is possible to dislike tracks like 'Axes of Evil', 'Deadly Sinners', 'Destroy the Orcs' and 'Fear on the Bridge'.  Other things you may want to check out:

Candlemass - 'Epicus Doomicus Metallicus'
Cathedral - 'The Carnival Bizarre'
Danzig - 'Danzig' and 'Danzig II: Lucifuge'
Iron Maiden - 'Number of the Beast',  'Powerslave', 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' (probably the poppiest metal album that is really any good)
Judas Priest - 'British Steel' and 'Painkiller'
King Diamond - 'Abigail', 'The Graveyard', 'House of God'
Mercyful Fate - 'Melissa' and 'Don't Break the Oath' (these are often called Black Metal, but thats really only for the image and subject matter)
Nightwish - 'Angels Fall First'
Skyclad - 'The Answer Machine?', 'Folkemon', 'Irrational Anthems'
Therion - 'Theli', 'Lemuria', 'Vovin'

Nice varied selection completely off the top of my head. Should keep you going for a bit.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Scytale

« Reply #710 on: 06 Nov 2006, 12:10 »

If you want Poppy metal how can you forget Helloween. The first two parts of Keeper of the Seven Keys pretty much defined poppy metal.

As for Black Metal Compilations, I owned a copy of "Nordic Metal: A tribute to Eurynomous". I lost it a while ago... It had some really good tracks on it too. Dissection's cover  of "Elizabeth Bathori" is one of the best songs they ever did IMO. The Thorn's song "Aerie Descent" is an absolute classic. Even the Mayhem tracks on it are half descent. I'd reccomend it if you were going t o buy a compilation album.

Incidently enough Varg's first band was called "Uruk Hai", also from LOTR.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #711 on: 06 Nov 2006, 13:05 »

Varg called himself Grishnack and named his band Burzum as a gesture to his own interpretation of Lord of the Rings, which is a slight twist on the 'misunderstood Mordor' idea, and ties in with his Nazi beliefs. Basically, Varg thinks the orcs drew from the idea of Scandinavian pagans and that Tolkien was writing about the victory of Christianity over heathenism. So, he used orcish as a little reference to that idea. Plus, there's the nice element of a 'secret', if you get what it means. Finally, it's a fucking cool word and it somehow greatly increases the profoundity of the statement: calling a band 'Darkness', as we all by now know, is ridiculous. It's too naive. 'Burzum' has a darker, more powerful ring to it as a word, and the act of translation somehow distances it from being silly. Because it is a profound mission statement if you actually go and try and do it. Nothing to do with Varg was a joke.

http://www.davidbrin.com/tolkienarticle1.html - overlly serious, much forwarded essay on the same topic

Scytale

« Reply #712 on: 06 Nov 2006, 16:21 »

In my teenage interpretation I pretty much saw the Hobbits as children or simply boring. The dwarves reminded me too much of greedy capitalist-pigs and they too were pretty boring. Their runes were cool and Moria was a wonderful place, but I disliked their greed vehemently - and who wants to be short anyhow? The elves were fascinating, beautiful and especially their immortality and closeness to nature was cool, but they were kind of dull and they fought for the wrong side. Instead I felt a natural attraction to Sauron, who was the person who gave the world adventure, adversity and challenges in the first place. His One Eye, the One Ring and the tower of Barad-Dur are all attributes similar to those of ??inn. The One Eye was like ??inn's eye, the One Ring was like ??inn's ring, Draupnir ("Dripper"), and Barad-Dur was like the tower or throne of ??inn, called Hli?skj?lf ("Secret Ritual-Site"). His Uruk-Hai and Olog-Hai ("Troll-Race") were like Viking berserkers, the Warges were like ??innic werewolves, and so forth. I could easily identify with the fury of the "dark forces", and enjoyed their existence very much because they were making a boring and peaceful world dangerous and exciting.

Varg's words on LOTR, the whole "Burzum story" is quite an interesting read, regardless of wether you think Varg is a dick or not...
http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story01.shtml

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #713 on: 06 Nov 2006, 16:35 »

Prodigy, Underworld and Orbital seconded, and for newer stuff...
Klaxons
Datarock
Shitdisco

and most DFA stuff.
And Felix Da Housecat.

Though this is starting to move away from Rave and more into electro...

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #714 on: 06 Nov 2006, 17:09 »

I think you should get Miles Davis - Bithch's Brew and In a Silent Way.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #715 on: 06 Nov 2006, 17:45 »

Astral Projection and Holymen would help. Maybe some Cosmic Gate.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #716 on: 06 Nov 2006, 17:55 »

Also, I know it's not the best thread to ask for this, but is there a name for that kind of music (always striked as some kind of jazz) that gets played when the plan is explained/during the stealing on heist and crime films? That soft, sly, "oh we are so cool" kind of music.

I'm pretty sure it's just slow swing and jazz type stuff, I suggest Charlie Mingus' Ah Um record if you want that kind of spy music. It probably isn't anything significant, just sounds good for plotting. The Alastair Spence Trio has some stuff like that too
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

The Mighty Mopdecai

« Reply #717 on: 06 Nov 2006, 18:30 »

Well I believe that the guys who said that buying greatest hits collections is an idiot I bought the best of The Smiths yesterday and it is a superb CD.
I recommend some good new British rock - Nine Black Alps and Brigade

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #718 on: 06 Nov 2006, 20:33 »

http://www.davidbrin.com/tolkienarticle1.html - overlly serious, much forwarded essay on the same topic

Read it. I don't agree with Brin or Varg, for quite crucial reasons. Brin I don't agree with mainly because of his very simplistic, linear-progressive view of history. MOAR SCIENCE LOL.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2006, 20:57 by KharBevNor »

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #719 on: 07 Nov 2006, 00:14 »

I second Mingus Ah Um.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #720 on: 07 Nov 2006, 03:14 »

I don't know who exactly this is going out to... but check out Modern Jazz Quartet... they are killer.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #721 on: 07 Nov 2006, 03:16 »

Jefferson Airplaaaaaaaaane.
Or maybe not...

P.S. Zep is a great place to start.  The drums in Moby Dick are killer-- primarily because the song is mostly a drum solo.  Yeah!

Yossarian

« Reply #722 on: 07 Nov 2006, 03:18 »

Re: Pregame-pumpup-music (started by End of Kris)

"Firestarter" by Prodigy works pretty well for me... and "Ready to go" by Republica (does anybody remember them?)... and "Breakout" by the Foo Fighters is fun.
About ten years ago we used to listen to a lot of H-Blockx in order to get pumped up for a game (though not of hockey actually), esp. "Revolution", "Fight the Force", "Time to Fight", "Move"(!) and "Risin' High"(!!) all from their '94 d?but "Time to Move" - anybody an idea, of whom I'm talking? :| (maybe some grown-up snowboarders since, like the "Guano Apes", they were for some time pretty huge in that scene)

Yoss
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2006, 17:35 by Yossarian »

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #723 on: 07 Nov 2006, 03:19 »

Between the Buried and Me aren't metal. Not even something you can have a 'what is emo?' argument about. Not metal. Nuh. Nuh-uh-uh. Elements of metal? Yes. Metal? No.

That works.

P.S. Tommydski, why do you not like DH?  Just wondering.
(Every other one od those bands really should not be allowed to play, however.)

raf

« Reply #724 on: 07 Nov 2006, 04:05 »

DRUMMER NEEDED IN LONDON UK AREA!!!!
if anyone knows any drummer who is actually into all the stuff we mentioned in this page and lives in or near London please send him or her to
www.myspace.com/obiat   or www.obiat.com
influences from 70s through doom stoner to post rock minimal...and more

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #725 on: 09 Nov 2006, 02:39 »

Go wank a fish.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #726 on: 10 Nov 2006, 20:42 »

Okay recommending people. I've recently got into Refused and Black Flag - the obvious albums, that is, i.e. Shape Of Punk... and Damaged.

Are the other albums by these bands any good, and worth buying?

And furthermore, is there any good hardcore that you can recommend me along similar lines?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #727 on: 12 Nov 2006, 01:41 »

hey recommend some rockabilly? thanks
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #728 on: 13 Nov 2006, 02:40 »

I want an album to get me started wth dark ambient.  Have at it Khar.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #729 on: 13 Nov 2006, 02:53 »

This thread has become infinitely harder to follow.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #730 on: 13 Nov 2006, 05:20 »

I want an album to get me started wth dark ambient.  Have at it Khar.

Blood Axis - The Gospel of Inhumanity

Scytale

« Reply #731 on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:39 »

I don't know what Dark Ambient is, is it different to Darkwave?

If not then I like a lot of Protector's side projects, stuff like "Ice Ages" and especially "Die Verbannten Kinder Evas", The new album "Dusk and Void Became Alive" is supposed to be very good, it a bastard to get a hold of though.

Mortiis's "Crypt of the Wizard" is really good as well, don't know if it counts as electronica or ambient.

Reverend Kris Hades' two albums "Wind of Orion" and "Paganini, Bloodlust, Static Age" are worth a listen if you can track them down. A lot of people call it Post BM, but soundit sounds very ambient to me, mostly loops, feedback and weird effects,  with blastbeats and tremello riffs burried a fair way into the background, the atmosphere is absolutely frightening, when he plays live he has a giant projector displaying all this really disturbing images to go with the music, one of the most intense live performances I've seen.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #732 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:43 »

Hey Khar, I heard that the latest Ulver albums are experimental electronic stuff in the vein of dark ambient music.  Is the stuff any good?  I like Ulver but I only know their BM.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #733 on: 15 Nov 2006, 18:56 »

I don't know what Dark Ambient is, is it different to Darkwave?

Darkwave is a catch-all term for anything electronic and also kinda gothic these days. If it used to have a more concrete definition it got lost along the way.

Cruxshadows are pretty much the most famous example of 'Darkwave' around. Mortiis would also fit in there. And The Frozen Autumn are worth a listen.

Dark Ambient is, well, Ambient music that's dark. I'm quite partial to 'Epiphany/Fortunate' by Caul.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #734 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:52 »

if you want darkwave its gotta be Sopor Aeternus and Lacrimoda

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up